Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do fat people become so fat?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭livingtargets

NBB Bohs wrote: »
    Why are working class people so obese and repulsive?...

This?From a Bohs fan?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Hazys wrote: »
    They are just big boned.

They have big bones...............covered in meat and gravy!!!

One might say that weight is a sign of wealth - such was the celtic tiger. Maybe now that wealthy times are over here, people will start losing weight?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭livingtargets

The northside?

But really I was just making fun of your use of the term "working class" as if it`s a bad thing.

"Let them (stop) eat(ing) cake"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Big Boned?
    That must be one hell of a big bone Mary has got in her ass!

Mmmmmmmhhhhh! Donuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭RKDus

This thread fails hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭nessie911

Just to say that not all people who are over weight are that way because of over eating or because they are lazy. I have always been a size bigger than i should have been, but in the last 3 year my weight seemed to increase no matter what i done. I ate the same as anyone in my family, and they all remained small... I was 4 miles at least a day and the weight still piled on...

Was at my gp and he was so stupid he could not figure out what was wrong.

Then one day i was sick in college, went to the college nurse who said she had an idea about what was wrong.

Have since been dignose with a condition that makes me insluin resesient, am on meds that give me a very un well stomach, and i am loseing weight, But because of the condition my weight loss is so varied, from 6 pounds in one week of .5 pounds.

Im just trying to say that there are reasons for some peoples weight gain, and it does not help these people if you make fun of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

@ nessie, your case is the exception but there are millions out there and they just can't stop eating....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Because they eat... a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭nessie911

MIN2511 wrote: »
    @ nessie, your case is the exception but there are millions out there and they just can't stop eating....

i know but there are exception, and thats why we cant judge everyone the same, because for years people including my family nearly more so my family used to say things about my weight, and even now that they know i hav this condition they still fell like they can make a comment about what i am eating, even tho they eat **** the whole time and i dont...

People dont no what other peoples problems are.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

I know its bad but I HATE fat chubby kids, their stupid fat little faces with big red cheeks just makes me sick. But I know its the parents fault. Those parents should be locked up, allowing their kids to look like little blubbering balls of jelly. Its hillarious to see them fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

This could be a down side to the evolutionary pathway that humans are following. It has been shown that people who have higher cholesterol/higher rates of heart disease die earlier but also tend to have more children and thus there will be an increase in people who are obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm going to jump in at the end of another unread thread and say tjhe reason people are so fat is because they've no reason to be thin.

Everything is on a plate. I don't need to be fast or agile my food is served up to me by Mario the guy at the Italian chipper. If I needed to be healthy and agile I would be. I wouldn't have a choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

its just a way of life you get stuck in, in jan last year i weighed a hefty 28.5 stone :eek: (take into account that im 6ft 5 and at my proper weight id be 15 stone and im only 25 ) just got to the stage when i thought if i dont do something il be dead in 5 years was taking a 48 inch waist and a 4xl top , saw a picture of myself and decided i had to change things went on an extreme diet and lost 11 stone when i came off it i put up 1.5 stone and leveled off , im still over weight but because of my height dont look it down to a 38 waist and an xl or at most 2xl top :), but i have to be really strict with myself have to eat healthy all the time any junk food and im hooked again , , if you havent gone through it you cant understand, fat people get hungry the same as everyone else , they arent going around all day eating at every second or thinking about food when they arent eating , it builds up after time and they have to go through a lot of insults along with feeling crap themselves , i mean things most people take for granted buying clothes sitting in an airplane seat , imagine going into a clothes shop and the biggest size was an extra small or sitting in a childs seat thats what its like , sorry im gone off the question again , there is no straight answer a lot happens as you grow up and at home a lot is up to the person themselves and i know i cant blame anyone but myself, but no one will change their mind except themselves, and it will happen in the blink of an eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Macdonlds im lovin it! i love teh fat gals, i love the smell of sweat of them! im lovin it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Discovery had a feature this evening. You reach a state where your condition feeds on itself.. Strain makes you sleep more, which causes your body to make hormones to promote hunger, you eat more, get more unhealthy, symptoms of diabetes cause you to become sluggish.. which makes you tired..

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

lazyness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Gotta take issue with this. Can you say that the fifty stone man has as much self restraint as a normally sized person?

How do you know the normal sized person is not a heroin junkie, or a child rapist?

Please, less of the ridiculous bollix, while i am aware this is After Hours there is a level of reaching that deserve a slap. You can't take one measure and decide an absolute off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sativa_soul

"Well if they are on social welfare then their fat campaign is state sponsored, so yes I think definitely then the government should intervene and cut their food intake."

Wow, Hitler would have loved that one. Any other suggestions for an even more Nazi-like nation??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Coz everything tastes yummy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

It's psychological. People not having enough self-esteem, end up getting depressed about whatever - Raised to hate themselves, etc.

I did it myself.... Ballooned up to 311 lbs - In a complete depression the majority of last year, and have since lost about 26 lbs thus far. Just getting your head on straight and focusing on the task at hand makes a hell of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

loneliness and cheeseburgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

If they're morbidly obese, the state should refuse to bear any medical costs incurred while treating any associated illnesses.

Right!!...perharps the state should also refuse to bear any medical costs when people get

1. Cancer that was caused by lifestyle choices
    2.Accidents victims that occured as a result of drunk driving
    3.Hypertension and heart diseases caused by too much worry and stress..( as Doctors repeatedly warn us of getting too stressed irrespective of our situation.
    4.Make it mandatory for single women on welfare to get a snip after 2 children.
    etc etc etc

If we use your analogy, how far can the State go?...When posting we need to think things through and post intelliegently and not just post for the craic !!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Well surely if there was an unhealthily obese person and a healthily slim person side by side (discarding all other pessible effects on health), in terms of health, the slim person is better? And wouldn't better = superior? As in, the slim person has superior health to the obese person.

There is also health risks with being under weight or near that end of the scale,

I'm not an expert but just something I heard on the Radio, some Lady Doctor saying being skinny or under weight isn't the best option, each person will be different,

but with people getting to 30+ stone is just too much,

I got to 24 1/2 stone and I got shocked and now down to just under 19 stone, plenty more to go though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Confab wrote: »
    I'll say this now: People who have gained extra weight, no matter how much, are still people. Being slimmer does not make anyone superior to anyone else. That is all.

No I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. I'm pretty sure someone who weighs 30 stone is significantly worse than people who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I HATE fat people... they consume and consume and consume until the moan about how fckin fat they are!! and waste my time, my food, my money, my health service, my environment... AND my doughnut!!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

Some of the comments on this thread are the most ignorant fking ridiculous things I have ever heard!! Some people have medical reasons for their weight gain, others may have slow metabolisms.. many other reasons for people being overweight & its the rude, disgusting comments like some made in this thread that make people feel ashamed & feel low and can cause people to comfort eat & feel worse or even worse can cause people to become anorexic or bulemic..

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

ps did anyone else read about the woman in the UK that had a disorder- sleep eating>???!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ps did anyone else read about the woman in the UK that had a disorder- sleep eating>???!!!

I think it was a complication that she developed from chronic creamcakeitis.

Advertisement