Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do fat people become so fat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,081 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

people get fat when they eat too much.

do i get a gold star? no?

a piece of cake will do so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

One of two things.
    genes r laziness r abit of both

• Registered Users Posts: 81,680 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I blame computers.

Kids used to go play in the street. Now they all sit on bebo or xbox live. Same with adults. Ah yeknow I would go out but why do we need to spend money - cant we just talk online while I eat in my pyjamas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't know. A persons metabolism has lots to do with it I guess. I eat a sh*tload of food, way more than many overweight people I know, yet I never put much weight on.

But yeah, some people are just really, really lazy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nuggles wrote: »
    Obviously, they don't stop eating the junk and go for a walk. They continue eating crap and not moving much and get huge.

Not much else to it.

:rolleyes:
    Well yeah, the OP knows that, but what they're asking is: why do they not take action when things start getting out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

A circle of low self-esteem and using food as a comfort for their feelings, maybe. I don't really know, I've never been in their position so I can't give a 'one-fits-all' answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I think the Government should make Physical Education compulsory until after the leaving cert!!

No doubt a few reasons, Acacia - that being one of them. Also food addiction, as well as just plain laziness and apathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Acacia wrote: »
    A circle of low self-esteem and using food as a comfort for their feelings, maybe. I don't really know, I've never been in their position so I can't give a 'one-fits-all' answer...

No i think you are correct,low self esteem and some either have an under active thyroid gland
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]Weight gain;
    • Dry hair and skin;
    • Depression;
    • Constipation;
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]Intolerance of cold weather;
    • Fatigue;

Some people don't even know they have it.
    Others i have seen have other health issues and some just don't care and eat out of greed.

• Advertisement

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I think the Government should make Physical Education compulsory until after the leaving cert!!
    The PE in this country is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Dudess wrote: »
    Well yeah, the OP knows that, but what they're asking is: why do they not take action when things start getting out of hand.

Suppose it comes down to two things, they may be in denial about how serious their weight problem is. I mean, to everybody else they might look like a chunky lump, but it might take a while for that person to realise it themselves - that they look and feel absolutely atrocious compared how they could and should look and feel (or indeed, may have looked and felt).

And then of course, do they have the motivation to lose weight? I mean maybe if they visit the doctor and s/he describes the possible complications of obesity, maybe that would be enough. I dunno, there has to be some kind of motive, otherwise the pie-scoffing will continue. :(

Being obese must be a horrible experience, but what's worse in a way, is that in the majority of cases it is so easily preventable. I truly sympathsize with those with medical conditions that directly or indirectly increase obesity/risk of obesity.

shqipshume wrote: »
    The PE in this country is a joke.
    I totally agree, i noticed one thing that people who played a sport in school tend to continue in adulthood hence they are healthy.

Tbh, if we looked at the leaders we have the chances of this coming to pass is ZERO.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Well surely if there was an unhealthily obese person and a healthily slim person side by side (discarding all other pessible effects on health), in terms of health, the slim person is better? And wouldn't better = superior? As in, the slim person has superior health to the obese person.

Why, because they are thinner? Not really, there could be anything amiss with the thin person due to drinking, smoking, lack of excercise and diet and they may end up being in worse shape, effectively, that the heavier person.

With regard to the question at hand, who knows. Most of the very large people i would have worked with, their health issues stemmed from three major area's. Lack of knowledge, lack of self esteem, lack of actual effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Confab wrote: »
    ...My BMI was 29.9 (very close to obese)...

BMI is probably one of the worste indicators there are... Don't use it, it's very inacurate and rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is quite easy to be fat these days, with things to help you out, so you can physically afford to get bigger. I used to wonder were there not milestones you would reach when you say enough is enough, like not being able to see your flute, or even hold it if covered in so much fat. Or not being able to reach your arse, but they have things to overcome such things.

I totally agree, i noticed one thing that people who played a sport in school tend to continue in adulthood hence they are healthy.

Tbh, if we looked at the leaders we have the chances of this coming to pass is ZERO.

I went to school in rathcoole and we were brought out everyday for basketball football hurling and running and made do exercise in class.They don't facilitate the schools with PE teachers anymore and its up the teachers to take the kids out on their own backs.Most Teachers wont do that.
    It should be compulsory in primary schools everyday as a class but they wont do it.
    And you are right we have the unhealthiest looking politicians i have ever seen :D

Another thing that comes to mind is we have more disposable income so we can buy basically anything, convinient food, shops for large people. We have everything at our finger tips, even with a recession we can still afford the chipper/chinese.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Sure isnt our Minister for Health a great ambassador for her post!:o

What nationality does "care" weight well?

Oh and working class is not a negative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

NBB Bohs wrote: »
    Why are working class people so obese and repulsive?

bring back eugenics ,i say. let's rid ourselves of those working class slobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Its defintly a lack of effort, effort to eat right and to exercise right.

Another reason is lack of knowledge about fat and calories.
    We're obsessed with getting enough protein/calcium vitimins etc and if we actually knew how little we had to eat to be healthy we'd be better!

Thats people who are overweight though.

Those people who can't even wipe their own bum then i would definitly go for some sort of mental illness. It's not miseducation or lack of money, there is something wrong when you don't try to do something when you are killing yourself with food.

Another reason is lack of knowledge about fat and calories.
    We're obsessed with getting enough protein/calcium vitimins etc and if we actually knew how little we had to eat to be healthy we'd be better!

certainly the type of food people are eating is having an effect.overly processed foods,grain-fed meat,white sugar in liquid form (which can't be processed by the body and just turns into fat).imo these types of food not only contribute more fat to the consumer but also have the effect of leaving them more sedentary and so less likely to exercise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

that will do....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Hazys wrote: »
    They are just big boned.

must be some belly bone she has then.....

wudangclan wrote: »
    certainly the type of food people are eating is having an effect.overly processed foods,grain-fed meat,white sugar in liquid form (which can't be processed by the body and just turns into fat).imo these types of food not only contribute more fat to the consumer but also have the effect of leaving them more sedentary and so less likely to exercise
    Absolutely.

Maybe I'm just imagining it or it's a case of isolated incidents, but has anyone noticed how "foodies" (as in, those with a passion for excellent quality food, fine dining etc) always seem to be slim and healthy?

And some of the junk "food" that's out there seems to have addictive properties.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

most have gland trouble (gob gland to much input):pac:

Dudess wrote: »
    Absolutely.

And some of the junk "food" that's out there seems to have addictive properties.

one recent study found fat and processed sugar to have addictive properties.
    addictive substance,causing health problems?
    lock up the chippies!! (according to twisted logic)

edit:link; http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/health_news/190703addic.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

NSFW. Sounds like poodle rock, but theres a bit of suggestive cursing in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Confab wrote: »
    Being slimmer does not make anyone superior to anyone else. That is all.

Gotta take issue with this. Can you say that the fifty stone man has as much self restraint as a normally sized person?

Advertisement