Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do fat people become so fat?

Options
  • 09-08-2009 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

I was watching something on telly recently about a hugely obese woman who was having a gastric band fitted to make her lose weight. The woman weighed about 30 stone, and I couldn't help but wonder why on earth she let herself get into such a state.

Surely when you see your dress sizes moving up to 16, 18, 20 then you know it's time to stop eating the junk and go for a walk? Why allow yourself to keep ballooning? It's beyond me how people could let themselves get so immensely obese.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Because cake is ****ing great!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Obviously, they don't stop eating the junk and go for a walk. They continue eating crap and not moving much and get huge.

Not much else to it.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'll start tomorrow, I swear.

To be honest, if I didn't work and had plenty of money, I'd say I'd get huge really fast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

In this day and age there should be medical intervention before people get too heavy particularly for young people.

A lot of these people will have life long health problems because of their weight so I believe that it is vital to stop the situation getting out of hand in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

They are just big boned.

:rolleyes:

How do you propose stopping it?

Stealing their cookies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The woman weighed about 30 stone, and I couldn't help but wonder why on earth she let herself get into such a state.

Sigh. You're believing what you see on TV again. Very very few people get that fat. My BMI was 29.9 (very close to obese) two months ago. I'm now down 14 lbs without any real effort. It's easy to lose weight, but it's much easier to gain it.

Since this thread is going to turn into another sweeping generalisation-fest, I'll say this now: People who have gained extra weight, no matter how much, are still people. Being slimmer does not make anyone superior to anyone else. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Confab wrote: »
    Sigh. You're believing what you see on TV again. Very very few people get that fat. My BMI was 29.9 (very close to obese) two months ago. I'm now down 14 lbs without any real effort. It's easy to lose weight, but it's much easier to gain it.

Since this thread is going to turn into another sweeping generalisation-fest, I'll say this now: People who have gained extra weight, no matter how much, are still people. Being slimmer does not make anyone superior to anyone else. That is all.

Yeah, but cake really is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Nuggles wrote: »
    How do you propose stopping it?

Stealing their cookies?

EUREKA!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Whats wrong with being a size 16 or 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Until peoples pay / dole is cut in proportion (pun intended) to how fat they are then the simple fact is that they get fat because they CAN!

*Some may have medical conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Well surely if there was an unhealthily obese person and a healthily slim person side by side (discarding all other pessible effects on health), in terms of health, the slim person is better? And wouldn't better = superior? As in, the slim person has superior health to the obese person.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

EUREKA!!

pffft, ya can't eat that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Because they don't know that a quick raise in insulin causes the storage of bodyfat so they go carb happy?!

Like any other self harm, you can't really infringe on people's rights.

Someone wants to kill their liver, you can try to help, but you can't legally stop them doing it.

Same with getting fat, you can try to help, but if they don't want it, they can continue enjoying the pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

thats true :) i mean you cant be happy in yourself if your obese imo but if your biggish and happy well fairplay! :) as long as your not so big that you cant have sex lol, thats too much imo
    id be an average size for my height, 5"3 and size 8-10. and even when i was size 14 i was happy in myself, and never doubted myself because of my weight!
    you just have to keep a watch on your waist line and try not to go too overboard too much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

peepeep wrote: »
    I was watching something on telly recently about a hugely obese woman who was having a gastric band fitted to make her lose weight. The woman weighed about 30 stone, and I couldn't help but wonder why on earth she let herself get into such a state.

Any thoughts?

To get on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

YFlyer wrote: »
    To get on TV

lol TRUE! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

om nom nom nom... thread!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaeger 90

Well if they are on social welfare then their fat campaign is state sponsored, so yes I think definitely then the government should intervene and cut their food intake.

It wouldnt be hard to incorporate, just have a weighing scales in front of the hatch as they go to sign on, you wouldnt have to even tell them their being weighed it could be hidden and just be recorded, and their payments could be adjusted accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

BBW - Big Beautiful Women. I beg to differ, sure a little meat on the bones is nice but don't go overboard.
    That goes for blokes too.

If I lived in the states I'd be fat too - their food is so yum, and lots of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Whats wrong with being a size 16 or 18?
    Extra seams?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

blinding wrote: »
    A lot of these people will have life long health problems because of their weight so I believe that it is vital to stop the situation getting out of hand in the first place.

If they're morbidly obese, the state should refuse to bear any medical costs incurred while treating any associated illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Jaeger 90 wrote: »
    Well if they are on social welfare then their fat campaign is state sponsored, so yes I think definitely then the government should intervene and cut their food intake.

It wouldnt be hard to incorporate, just have a weighing scales in front of the hatch as they go to sign on, you wouldnt have to even tell them their being weighed it could be hidden and just be recorded, and their payments could be adjusted accordingly.
    I've never unerstood how people think this would work. Junk food is very cheap, if someone wants it they'd just cut out any relatively healthy food that they ate.

Exactly, state benefit is to help pay for the necessities. Food is a necessity. So they spend some of the benefit on food. That's a must.

State can't control what food they eat. If they spend it on carrots or crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    lol TRUE! :)

According to Eric Cartman.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaeger 90

Nuggles wrote: »
    Exactly, state benefit is to help pay for the necessities. Food is a necessity. So they spend some of the benefit on food. That's a must.

State can't control what food they eat. If they spend it on carrots or crisps.

Ye I know, itd just be pretty funny if fat people got a big FAT stamp written across their checks, just to humiliate them even further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

peepeep wrote: »

Surely when you see your dress sizes moving up to 16, 18, 20 then you know it's time to stop eating the junk and go for a walk? Why allow yourself to keep ballooning? It's beyond me how people could let themselves get so immensely obese.

Any thoughts?

I don't think it's as easy as that.

Some times people have problems with in there own body which means there over weight. Other reason's is poor diet and lazy.
    Some times people eat because there board or unhappy about things thats when comfort eating comes into play.

In some case's it could be a number of thing's...

Food is pleasurable. Pleasure is something that we all need some people need it a lot more then other's.

But its also what you eat for instance I eat olives most irish people unfortunatly turn there noises up at them :rolleyes:...

Then you have Irish cooking in general bland ****e, 8 times out of 10, there still in the world of ice berg letice, coleslaw and mountains of mayo... :rolleyes:

where now a days we have access to foods we couldn't get 10 years ago.
    Its also education about food in general its poor irish people dont know enough about food!

people don't educate them selves about food because they cook for feeding not for enjoyment or don't have the confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

why are there so many fat people threads on boards lately?:confused:
    anyway, for a lot of people it's probably that when you start getting really big it would be too hard to try and lose the weight, so they just give up/don't bother.

Advertisement