Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wolfe Tones fighting now

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

celt262 wrote: »
    So which of them are touring around the county at the moment?

who gives a fuck? they're all shite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭celt262

longshanks wrote: »
    who gives a fuck? they're all shite

I do, thats why i asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I do, thats why i asked.

a real fan would know, i heard you really like rangers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

we all know you're only a west brit, sure weren't you in that braveheart film, obviously.:pac:

WT's are one trick ponies.

Yes a real fan would know, but im not a real fan thats why i asked. Im interested because there is tickets on sale at moment for one of their gigs.

Where u hear i liked Rangers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭monkeytronics

Yes a real fan would know, but im not a real fan thats why i asked. Im interested because there is tickets on sale at moment for one of their gigs.

Where u hear i liked Rangers?

The official wolfetones... tommy, noel and brian

The official wolfetones... tommy, noel and brian

Thank you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

It is 2009

Im amazed that any version of the band are relevant enough to have a discussion about.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Great, the tones are playing in the half way house in burnfoot, donegal, on sunday night, I cant wait to be a real republican for a couple of hours. Bring back the bad old days.

I am neither a tourist or a scumbag and I have all but one of their albums and I've been to many of their gigs. I can truthfully say the same of the Dubliners and the Dublin City Ramblers and other Irish artists. I enjoy Irish music and the Wolfe Tones have recorded (and written) some fantastic memorable songs.

Fantastic music.... You surely jest, the Wolftones music all sounds exactly the same and is pretty much the same misguided propaganda time after time.
    Their songs (both those of a rebellious and otherwise nature) speak of events that have occured throughout Irish history and the vast majority of their songs record the events in true and accurate meaning. It is very easy for us to forget our history, heritage and culture. Bottom line is they sing of events that happened whether we like it or agree with it. They usually (but not always) tell story from the Irish side (their side/our side). In the same way as british/loyalist/unionist tell their stories from their side.

They no more depict accurate portrayals of events than J.K. Rowling does. They take events they hear or read about and then subvert it into such a way that their fans lap it up. Their music from what I've heard is all anti-English nonsense which paints the Irish as poor underdogs who take on and defeat the evil overlords. For a band with such a strong patriotic allegiance and the belief that the Irish were heroes surely they would have been man enough to venture up North to play for their fans during the time of the troubles.
    Rebellion influences are not limited to the Wolfe Tones:

e.g. kelly the Boy from Killane - Luke Kelly, God Save Ireland - The Dubliners, etc... etc...

Same misguided message different voice. While I'm all for songs which preserve our heritage the vast majority of these rebel songs are thinly veiled hate songs. The message that they all share is that the English are evil and a small group of misguided people lap it up.

And likewise the Wolfetones are not limited to rebel songs either:

"The Streets of new York", "Thank God for America", "Chicago" and many more.

Boards.ie has a serious problem with Generalisations which unfortunately mimics real life.

The site may have a problem with generalisations but then again some of us don't like the idea of a group of hate mongers being painted as heroes. The Wolftones are talentless hacks spreading a message of hate which has no place in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irelandunfree

jonnygee wrote: »
    Great, the tones are playing in the half way house in burnfoot, donegal, on sunday night, I cant wait to be a real republican for a couple of hours. Bring back the bad old days.

No they are not. The Wolfe Tones are not in Co. Donegal this weekend, just more false advertising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

prinz wrote: »
    we all know you're only a west brit, sure weren't you in that braveheart film, obviously.:pac:

WT's are one trick ponies.

whats wrong with ponies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

I am neither a tourist or a scumbag and I have all but one of their albums and I've been to many of their gigs. I can truthfully say the same of the Dubliners and the Dublin City Ramblers and other Irish artists. I enjoy Irish music and the Wolfe Tones have recorded (and written) some fantastic memorable songs.

Their songs (both those of a rebellious and otherwise nature) speak of events that have occured throughout Irish history and the vast majority of their songs record the events in true and accurate meaning. It is very easy for us to forget our history, heritage and culture. Bottom line is they sing of events that happened whether we like it or agree with it. They usually (but not always) tell story from the Irish side (their side/our side). In the same way as british/loyalist/unionist tell their stories from their side.

Rebellion influences are not limited to the Wolfe Tones:

e.g. kelly the Boy from Killane - Luke Kelly, God Save Ireland - The Dubliners, etc... etc...

And likewise the Wolfetones are not limited to rebel songs either:

"The Streets of new York", "Thank God for America", "Chicago" and many more.

Boards.ie has a serious problem with Generalisations which unfortunately mimics real life.

Back to the Original Poster and as far as I can see it hasn't been mentioned yet --- but why is this news now?? The Current Wolfe Tones line up (Tommy, Noel and Brian) have been arguing/fighting with former member Derek Warfield for at least 10 years now since their split. The Wolfe Tones have ran several campaigns, both on their official website and through the media to watch out for Derek Warfield (and his band th Sons of Eirin) falsely advertising their shows as the "WolfeTones".

brill hey dont forget

IRISH EYES ARE SMILING

PIPER THAT PLAYED BEFORE MOSES

WOMEN OF IRELAND

BOSTON ROSE

ZOOLOGICAL GARDENS

FOR IRELAND I'D NOT TELL HER NAME

TWICE DAILY

NEWGRANGE

GIVE ME YOUR HAND

defo want to hunt the brits down after listenin to all of those :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Robbo wrote: »
    Can't they just split into the Real Wolf Tones and the Continuity Wolfe Tones since they refuse to decommission their weapons?

A little off topic but I predict post of the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I worked in HMV a few years back and this typical WT fan (rough as ****, up the RA tattoos all over him, total scummer) asked me where their cds were, after I showed him he asked if I was a fan, after I said no he asked why and I just said it wasnt my type of music (and I'm not a scummer) and he said I wasnt a real Irishman if I didnt hate the English, after I put through the sale and humoured him I politely informed him that HMV is an English company and his money was going to them, the look on his stupid face was priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Robbo wrote:
    Can't they just split into the Real Wolf Tones and the Continuity Wolfe Tones since they refuse to decommission their weapons?

Bono Vox wrote: »
    A little off topic but I predict post of the day :D

If only he had said:

Can't they just split into the Real Wolf Tones and the Continuity Wolfe Tones since they refuse to decommission their banjos?

Advertisement