Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wolfe Tones fighting now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

"We have a past?" Not that you would know it listening to the WTs. All the complexity of Irish history reduced to one dreary,monotone note:bashing the Brits and the 800 hundred years of oppression etc etc.
    They are nothing more than the equivalent of the Fenian-bashing, Pope-cursing Loyalist bands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ilkhanid wrote: »
    "We have a past?" Not that you would know it listening to the WTs. All the complexity of Irish history reduced to one dreary,monotone note:bashing the Brits and the 800 hundred years of oppression etc etc.
    They are nothing more than the equivalent of the Fenian-bashing, Pope-cursing Loyalist bands.

I dont agree with thier sentiments at all but that sort of music is very popular round these parts..in fact you could be in New York and watch a wolf tones song have grown men crying into thier whiskey.
    To my mind the Pogues are a far better band and tend not to dwell on the darker side of our "history" but are much more emotive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

That's your take on it.

I'm not a fan on their music either, and I don't really agree on their political stance 100%

But what I DO disagree with is the fcuking middle-Ireland "you-can-have-an-opinion-as-long-as-it's-not-a-strong-opinion" message that seems to prevail both here, and in real life, these days. I find it funny how a hard life will polarise people's opinions on things, and an easy life will kinda push everyone into the middle.

I'm easy going enough myself, I'm as lazy and self-centred as the next guy, but we've ALL had it easy, and that makes things comfrtable enough to have very specific and fortright standards.

Some people have strong beliefs - that's not a crime. They haven't always necessarily killed someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

the wolf tones
    *yawns*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

In fairness, the people on this thread trying to create a dichotomy of the brave and impartial Brits taking on the "terrorist" Irish are at least as bad when it comes to 'all the complexity of Irish history reduced to one dreary,monotone note'.

Actually they are worse, because their myths are predicated on some duhumanising racist colonial narrative of the civilised English versus the barbarous Irish.

The fact that they are treating the Wolfe Tones as serious political scientists up there with John Rawls testifies to the humourless frosty-faced clowns that they are.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Fu. King. Hell.

The liberal middle classes on this website have made it be known that any sliver of nationalism is to be trounced.

In fairness I'm liberal and in the middle classes, enough to know my liberal political philosophy and the huge differences within liberalism (such as the existence of mainstream liberals who advocate nationalism as a central means for creating social justice in a liberal state, e. g. David Miller, On Nationality).

Moreover, what often (usually?) passes as liberal in Ireland is simply people reacting against their own background by exchanging the Irish nationalist viewpoints and myths that they were familiar with when growing up for British nationalist viewpoints and myths. Inexplicably, they like to think of themselves as open-minded when they make this exchange.

It has nothing to do with liberalism, everything to do with reactionary inverted nationalism.

davyjose wrote: »
    But the fact that this stretches to the Wolfe Tones -a fcuking band - is pathetic.

Very true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

"It started in slave ships" doesn't assume the band believe they were in those ships themselves.

There was no slave ships. You must be thinking of the African Americans.
    If you listened to more wolfe tones you would be more up to speed on Irish history.

Remember that the only reason you can swan around celtic tiger ireland now buying shoes and houses is because Theobald Stewart Wolfe Tone fought and died in the GPO in 1917 to give you freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

There was no slave ships. You must be thinking of the African Americans.
    If you listened to more wolfe tones you would be more up to speed on Irish history.

Remember that the only reason you can swan around celtic tiger ireland now buying shoes and houses is because Theobald Stewart Wolfe Tone fought and died in the GPO in 1917 to give you freedom.

what a great post! Firstly, if you read the thread properly you'll see that the original quote about slave ships was related to a Public Enemy track, not a Wolfe Tones song. Secondly, Theobald Wolfe Tone died in 1798!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

impressive radio when joe got these 2 brothers to say hi after..7 years bitterness...

however what if your happiness depended on being free from a toxic sibling?/?//:eek:

Joe and impressive radio dont belong in the same sentence..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bean na gaeilge

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    God some asshole put about 10 Wolfe Tone songs on the duke box in a bar the other night and we were nearly about to leave, such silly music!

:eek:
    Legends!!! Most people would have been delighted with that music - always gets good craic going in a pub.... They'd have a job to get me to leave the pub! but you obviously disagree... everyone to their own I suppose :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Mad Finn wrote: »
    Er. What the **** has the Hallelelujah chorus got to do with the British Royals?

It's a piece written in praise of the Messiah by a German and first performed in Dublin.

Nothing actually, The Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah was, strangely enough, composed by Handel not Elgar. Elgar is famous for having composed. amongst other things "Land of Hope and Glory".

You have Teh Fail. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Rebelheart wrote: »
    In fairness, the people on this thread trying to create a dichotomy of the brave and impartial Brits taking on the "terrorist" Irish...

The first person on the thread to mention the British....was you :confused: So go figure that one out....

prinz wrote: »
    The first person on the thread to mention the British....was you :confused: So go figure that one out....

Aha, clearly you make some distinction between the English and the new English named the British. I wasn't the first to mention the English (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61480701&postcount=10) or accuse the Irish of terrorism (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61481757&postcount=28), both posts which you seem happy to endorse. Hmmm.

More to the point, why you feel defensive about any criticism of British royalists is very peculiar indeed. But then, hey presto, your other posts are just ranting against nationalists, of the Irish variety only (of course). Not really peculiar after all. Pretty much as I said, actually.

PS: And what's this with the "Go Figure"? Just back from the States, are we?

Aha, clearly you make some distinction between the English and the new English named the British. I wasn't the first to mention the English (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61480701&postcount=10) or accuse the Irish of terrorism (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61481757&postcount=28), both posts which you seem happy to endorse. Hmmm.

Yes I do make a distinction between English and British, since they are distinct nouns :confused: and not synonymous. The irony of you accusing other people of turning the thread into a "brave Brits against the Irish terrorists" was not lost on me as the first person to tar posters with a label based on their appreciation of the Wolfe Tones was you..... which way do you want it. If you don't like people taking sides..... then stop telling people what "side" they are on.

You may notice both the posts you linked refer to the Wolfe Tones and their lyrics..NOT to other posters.

What's the betting that the same people who frown upon the political aspect of Wolfe Tones music will be good British royalists and stand up when the 'Hallelujah' Chorus of Handel's Messiah begins? Hmmm.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    LOL.
    The good old West-Brit mentality...
    In fairness, the people on this thread trying to create a dichotomy of the brave and impartial Brits taking on the "terrorist" Irish are at least as bad when it comes to 'all the complexity of Irish history reduced to one dreary,monotone note'.

When the only thing you have to fall back on is that.... btw I don't see any post describing the Brits as brave or impartial. All your imagination I'm afraid.

Yes I do make a distinction between English and British, since they are distinct nouns :confused: and not synonymous.

Aha, you digress once again but "distinct nouns" indeed. Undoubtedly in the sensitivities of many residents of the neighbouring island there is such a politically important distinction made. In the real world, British is merely the name given to the people living in the area called Great Britain, which itself is simply the English state extended. Touchy subject once again; we wouldn't want to suggest that the idea of Britishness was simply invented in the 17th century to make the Scots feel that they weren't conquered by the English and would accordingly work to extend English power further under the guise of that crucial nation- and myth-making weapon of modern Britishness, the British Empire.
    You may notice both the posts you linked refer to the Wolfe Tones and their lyrics..NOT to other posters.

Which is a curious complaint considering you were the first person here to attack another poster, namely me (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61481577&postcount=26). You don't do irony, it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irelandunfree

I found the Wolftones to be more of a comedy act sometimes, especially with a track like Paddys Dream. But as traditional musicians they were a pile of plop. There are many Irish artists that would wipe the floor with them, case in point, Planxtys Follow me up to Carlow, Only Our Rivers run free, The Dubliners, Christy Moores version of the Galtee Mountain Boy, Scariff Martyrs, Liam Weldons James Connolly, Eddie and Finbarr Fureys Highland Paddy nuff said. These tracks are done with sweet strings, notes and are full of passion, the Wolftones just scowl, bawl, roar and blugdeon their instruments.

I have to disagree strongly with your musical opinion. The Wolfe Tones arrangements and vocals are second to none. You referred to Galtee Mountain Boy as performed by Christy Moore??? List to the below to hear how Ireland's greatest ballad singer performs the song.

Wise up for f**k sake, would ya...no one betters The Wolfe Tones, get over it!

I have to disagree strongly with your musical opinion. The Wolfe Tones arrangements and vocals are second to none. You referred to Galtee Mountain Boy as performed by Christy Moore??? List to the below to hear how Ireland's greatest ballad singer performs the song.

Wise up for f**k sake, would ya...no one betters The Wolfe Tones, get over it!

There's no accounting for taste, horse!

Which is a curious complaint considering you were the first person here to attack another poster, namely me (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61481577&postcount=26). You don't do irony, it seems.

That's not an attack :confused: That was a request for you to clarify your position. Which you didn't do, and which was reinforced by others continuing on the 'LOL West-Brits' vein of thought, which confirmed my view of the originality of your position. Someone doesn't agree with you - call them a brit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Degsy wrote: »
    clownishness of public enemy who actually are racists.

Really? And this bold assertion is based on?

• Advertisement

That's not an attack :confused: That was a request for you to clarify your position. Which you didn't do, and which was reinforced by others continuing on the 'LOL West-Brits' vein of thought, which confirmed my view of the originality of your position. Someone doesn't agree with you - call them a brit...

Usually requests have a thing called a question mark at the end of them. They also don't have confusion imposed upon them such as going off on a solo run about being a West Brit and imposing your own ideas/self-persecution on my post and then attributing them to me. Finally, requests certainly do not include inferences about the poster's alleged inferior intelligence merely because you disagree with his real or imagined views.

So, again, show me the "request" in that post; was it before, after or in between the attack? While you're at it, stop lying and feigning some moral superiority in debating tactics. It's dishonest at best. Thank you.

They also don't have confusion imposed upon them such as going off on a solo run about being a West Brit and imposing your own ideas/self-persecution on my post and then attributing them to me.

My apologies, you're line was British royalists wasn't it? Much better. Of course it wasn't long before West-Brit did come into the equation. Nor was I or anyone else who doesn't appreciate the Wolfe Tones, the first to mention the British Army. :pac:.
    Finally, requests certainly do not include inferences about the poster's alleged inferior intelligence merely because you disagree with his real or imagined views.

The slight on intelligence had nothing to do with anyone's views. more to do with the fact that the most intelligent argument you had was "I bet they're good British Royalists too".......... It really added to the thread I felt. Even the most intelligent people fall back on ridiculous arguments from time to time.
    So, again, show me the "request" in that post; was it before, after or in between the attack? While you're at it, stop lying and feigning some moral superiority in debating tactics. It's dishonest at best. Thank you.

Again what attack? It was merely highlighting the last resort tactics of you and those who share you views... it's a slight tweak of Godwin's Law.. LOLZ YOU MUST BE BRITISH. Like I said, only took 24 posts and you yourself obliged.

Perhaps you should lay off, at least, discussion boards for a while. You clearly are very confused about who said what and as a result are making rather ironic inferences about the intelligence of other posters.

All the best.

Perhaps you should lay off, at least, discussion boards for a while. You clearly are very confused about who said what and as a result are making rather ironic inferences about the intelligence of other posters.
    All the best.

I'd rather be called a West-Brit than a British Royalist, and I know who said what. :pac:. I know who brought up the British Army. I know who referred to them as brave..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You referred to Galtee Mountain Boy as performed by Christy Moore??? ]

Christy loses the tache-off.

No contest.

I've never understood the appeal of the Wolfetones. Their music is inspired to incite hate and the argument that they're bringing Irish people together against a common enemy is complete nonsense. I used to work in a music shop and the people would would purchase their music was broken up into two categories, scumbags and tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭monkeytronics

I've never understood the appeal of the Wolfetones. Their music is inspired to incite hate and the argument that they're bringing Irish people together against a common enemy is complete nonsense. I used to work in a music shop and the people would would purchase their music was broken up into two categories, scumbags and tourists.

I am neither a tourist or a scumbag and I have all but one of their albums and I've been to many of their gigs. I can truthfully say the same of the Dubliners and the Dublin City Ramblers and other Irish artists. I enjoy Irish music and the Wolfe Tones have recorded (and written) some fantastic memorable songs.

Their songs (both those of a rebellious and otherwise nature) speak of events that have occured throughout Irish history and the vast majority of their songs record the events in true and accurate meaning. It is very easy for us to forget our history, heritage and culture. Bottom line is they sing of events that happened whether we like it or agree with it. They usually (but not always) tell story from the Irish side (their side/our side). In the same way as british/loyalist/unionist tell their stories from their side.

Rebellion influences are not limited to the Wolfe Tones:

e.g. kelly the Boy from Killane - Luke Kelly, God Save Ireland - The Dubliners, etc... etc...

And likewise the Wolfetones are not limited to rebel songs either:

"The Streets of new York", "Thank God for America", "Chicago" and many more.

Boards.ie has a serious problem with Generalisations which unfortunately mimics real life.

Back to the Original Poster and as far as I can see it hasn't been mentioned yet --- but why is this news now?? The Current Wolfe Tones line up (Tommy, Noel and Brian) have been arguing/fighting with former member Derek Warfield for at least 10 years now since their split. The Wolfe Tones have ran several campaigns, both on their official website and through the media to watch out for Derek Warfield (and his band th Sons of Eirin) falsely advertising their shows as the "WolfeTones".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

mike65 wrote: »
    Music for Irish pikeys

Sure we all know why you don't like them Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'll buy a pint for anyone who can tell me what this thread is supposed to be about without looking at the thread title again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭celt262

So which of them are touring around the county at the moment?

Advertisement