Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wolfe Tones fighting now

Options
  • 06-08-2009 1:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

On RTÉ Radio 1, Derek Warfield and Brian Warfield are having a good old fight on the Joe Duffy show about who has the right to use the name The Wolfe Tones.

Great stuff (but nasty)

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

There will be skin, beards and rolling tobacco flying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Nearly as good as yesterday about Frankie Gavin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Load of old bollocks really (the show not the Wolfetones)...between this and the De Dannan debacle yesterday makes for a boring listen. Half the country can't gte their medicines and Duffy is discussing bloody bands...not exactly a major issue for any regular listener.

*listens anyway*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Can't they just split into the Real Wolf Tones and the Continuity Wolfe Tones since they refuse to decommission their weapons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Half the country can't gte their medicines and Duffy is discussing bloody bands...not exactly a major issue for any regular listener.

That's what the media is there for - to distract the public's attention away from the real problems quickly. Of course this is done under the premise of 'free speech'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

Who'd want to listen to these old Me Feiner armchair republicans anyway?

As the reviewer once wisely said many years ago: "More wolf than tone."

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

God some asshole put about 10 Wolfe Tone songs on the duke box in a bar the other night and we were nearly about to leave, such silly music!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wolftones are classic! Saw Derek play in Cork. Original Wolfies are better though. They should all make friends again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

dlofnep wrote: »
    Wolftones are classic! Saw Derek play in Cork. Original Wolfies are better though. They should all make friends again :(

The Wolfetones are based on hatred. If they can't hate the English, seemingly they'll turn on each other each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. This was much nastier than the De Dannan one yesterday as Derek Warfield's wife and daughter had died. Derek said Brian refused to attend the funeral but it transpired that Brian attended and was turned away at the door on the instructions of Derek. Byrne and Nangle also got stuck in over the phone, as did Derek Warfield's daughter. Not pleasant stuff.

• Advertisement

The Wolfetones are based on hatred. If they can't hate the English, seemigly they'll turn on each other each other.

No, they're not. They are based on having the craic. I like them, couldn't give a sack if you do or not. :)

Rebelheart wrote: »
    I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. This was much nastier than the De Dannan one yesterday as Derek Warfield's wife and daughter had died. Derek said Brian refused to attend the funeral but it transpired that Brian attended and was turned away at the door on the instructions of Derek. Byrne and Nangle also got stuck in over the phone, as did Derek Warfield's daughter. Not pleasant stuff.

Bad stuff that. The band that Derek goes around with just isn't the same. They are good like, but not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm not supposed to like the Wolfe Tones for obvious reasons :P but I still do...

Their argument on the LLS with Fintan O'Toole a few years back was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The Wolf Tones are legends! My favourite type of music by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

No, they're not. They are based on having the craic. I like them, couldn't give a sack if you do or not. :)

If by craic, you mean spouting rabble rousing crap for knuckle dragging halfwits then you're on the button. Wolfe Tone would spin in his grave to hear what his name has been linked to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

prinz wrote: »
    If by craic,(...)halfwits

Now now, its not an Elgar recital....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Is there some kind of Armalite/balaclava symbol that gets projected against a cloud and a red telephone rings giving a recognised codeword and listing a "legitimate target"? You boys move fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kavoweb

guilty pleasure no.27 listening to the wolfetones on a sunday morning peelin' shhpuds. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The Wolfetones are based on hatred. If they can't hate the English, seemigly they'll turn on each other each other.

i am no republican but seriously what you claim is wrong, highlight wolfe tones songs that preach hatred, yes 80% of their songs have a strong republican theme, but hatred, really??

terrible hatred here ;)

Nodin wrote: »
    Now now, its not an Elgar recital....

hehe, how very true: small doses only. Yeah, Elgar one of the greats of classical music squeezed into every collection of "great" composers promoted by English newspapers like the Sunday Times. Talk about nationalism gone mad.

I saw the Wolfe Tones in the Temple Theatre in 1999 the night before the Meath-Dublin match so I wore me An Mhí jersey, the only one in a sea of blue as it happened so they were taking the piss out of me. Great, great craic though.

I also attend opera and classical music across Europe a couple of times a year, and regularly end up in the peace of St Ann's Church on Dawson Street for the Bach cantatas and other baroque pieces. I love Church music, particularly Bach's Passions.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    Is there some kind of Armalite/balaclava symbol that gets projected against a cloud and a red telephone rings giving a recognised codeword and listing a "legitimate target"? You boys move fast.

Isn't that how the Wolfe Tones advertised thier concerts? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i am no republican but seriously what you claim is wrong, highlight wolfe tones songs that preach hatred, yes 80% of their songs have a strong republican theme, but hatred, really??

terrible hatred here ;)

Wow.. how strange, I was listening to a version of that about an hour ago by The Quare Fellows (Dublin City Ramblers).. strange.

That tune's a real one for Republican songs isn't it - the orange and the green, rising of the moon, wearing of the great? :P

What's the betting that the same people who frown upon the political aspect of Wolfe Tones music will be good British royalists and stand up when the 'Hallelujah' Chorus of Handel's Messiah begins? Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

impressive radio when joe got these 2 brothers to say hi after..7 years bitterness...

however what if your happiness depended on being free from a toxic sibling?/?//:eek:

Rebelheart wrote: »
    What's the betting that the same people who frown upon the political aspect of Wolfe Tones music will be good British royalists and stand up when the 'Hallelujah' Chorus of Handel's Messiah begins? Hmmm.

So because someone thinks the Wolfe Tones are nothing but wasters peddling nonsense to armchair generals about "the auld enemy", they are obviously British/West Brit/royalists etc. How original, I never would have expected that to be the most intelligent comeback. Ever. How original. And it only took 24 posts, magic.

prinz wrote: »
    So because someone thinks the Wolfe Tones are nothing but wasters peddling nonsense to armchair generals about "the auld enemy", they are obviously British/West Brit/royalists etc. How original, I never would have expected that to be the most intelligent comeback. Ever. How original. And it only took 24 posts, magic.

Touchy subject eh, Kevin Myers? So we can take it that you do indeed stand up when the Hallelujah chorus is played.

rossie1977 wrote: »

Of course they promote hatred! They're praising the IRA - a terrorist organisation.

They also sing about coffin ships, The Rising, the pain Irish people went through, at the hands of the English, sparking memories for people and keeping bias, stereotype and hatred very much alive.

I find their lyrics to be full of hypocrisy - Singing about the pain of things they never experienced! Wailing about their tortured past and warfare.

I just find them to be a very backward, negative set of musicians. Sure, it's fine to love your country - but God Bless Ireland shouldn't translate into God Hate England.

As for The Orange song, I'm not defending that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Stuff...

Meh.. To each there own.
    That's more than half the point of any artform.

I think they're good.

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Meh.. To each there own.
    That's more than half the point of any artform.

I think they're good.

Each to their own? I wasn't trying to say people couldn't have their own opinion.

My point was that I'm not in the least surprised that The Wolfetones are fighting, considering their lyrics and the nature of their music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Of course they promote hatred! They're praising the IRA - a terrorist organisation. .

O Noes!!!!!!!
    I find their lyrics to be full of hypocrisy - Singing about the pain of things they never experienced! Wailing about their tortured past and warfare..

So you'd walk into a Public Enemy gig and when they start Can't Truss It with 'it started in slave ships...' you'll pipe up and tell the assembled masses that they've no business going on about it. Good man.

Advertisement