Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chivalry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Sadly, Ireland is bursting with women who expect equality + special priviliges.

Then there's the idiots who give them these priviliges (i guess because they think it'll get them "in there") not realising that it actually decreases (not increases) what little respect these women have for them.

When a guy who isn't a push-over comes along some of the more brazen one's will act indignant and start name-calling, to which the appropriate response is "Do you want equality or not? you can't have it both ways". At this point they'll stop, because there is no real comeback to this.

The one thing that shames me about my gender is the lack of self-respect a large proportion of men display when dealing with the opposite sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Sadly, Ireland is bursting with women who expect equality + special priviliges.

Then there's the idiots who give them these priviliges (i guess because they think it'll get them "in there") not realising that it actually decreases (not increases) what little respect these women have for them.

When a guy who isn't a push-over comes along some of the more brazen one's will act indignant and start name-calling, to which the appropriate response is "Do you want equality or not? you can't have it both ways". At this point they'll stop, because there is no real comeback to this.

The one thing that shames me about my gender is the lack of self-respect a large proportion of men display when dealing with the opposite sex.

+ a sideways 8

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If a guy offered me his seat on a train, I would presume he had thought I was pregnant and go home an cry hahaha. NEVER offer me your seat!!!!

I can't believe those two women seriously thought they were entitled to a seat just because they are women. I'm actually embarrassed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

hshortt wrote: »
    You forgot 'Hot'. ;)

Hot ones can sit on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

to be fair, how many women actually expect some sort of special treatment? i only really know one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Give em a seat my eye, no chance, i only give seats to the elderely, and if i saw a pregnant woman id give her a seat except if she was a skanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Sad to see so many cynical responses.

I was brought up to hold open the door, not swear in ladies presence, offer my seat etc to the fairer sex, not because they are women, but because I wish to be a gentleman.

I do not give a toss if a woman/Lady is offended if I offer to assist, I do it because its a nice thing to be, a gentleman.
    But it is because they are women. Unless you give your seat up to men too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Taz86

I find a lot of men hold the door open for me and wait for me to go on ahead and then they follow! Blush. I hate that. I used to always stop and go “No, you go on” but you know that just leads to a cyclical “You go”, “No, you go”, “You go”…

Those women were a right pair of tits, OP. Like the wimmens who have responded already I wouldn’t expect a man to get up and give me his seat and it has never happened. I’ve always been left standing and that's fine by me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Taz86 wrote: »
    I find a lot of men hold the door open for me and wait for me to go on ahead and then they follow! Blush. I hate that. I used to always stop and go “No, you go on” but you know that just leads to a cyclical “You go”, “No, you go”, “You go”…

Those women were a right pair of tits, OP. Like the wimmens who have responded already I wouldn’t expect a man to get up and give me his seat and it has never happened. I’ve always been left standing and that's fine by me :)
    /takes note

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Some funny comments in this thread.

However, if I'm out with a few girls and I'm sitting down and they're standing, I will always offer my chair. And they always appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Once, an elderly man offered me his seat. He obviously needed it more than I did, and I didn't accept.

In fact, I wouldn't have accepted it anyway, no matter how young he had been. I can stand just as well as the next person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭McGrath5

"He sits, She stand's"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Most OAPs are so rude - they get their free transport so why are they still cranky??

Actually dont know if i would give up my seat. When i used to take the bus - they'd be shoving you out of the way or pushing you to get on the bus when there are already people in front of you.

I remember one day after i was finished school, i told one old lady to back off and heard a chorus of tsk tsk from her mates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

K4t wrote: »
    However, if I'm out with a few girls and I'm sitting down and they're standing, I will always offer my chair. And they always appreciate it.

That's what you elect to interpret their contemptuous smiles as, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

stovelid wrote: »
    That's what you elect to interpret their contemptuous smiles as, yes.
    No, but I'm sure you are well used to those. Nothing wrong with being a gentleman and recognising that women are not men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'll give my seat up for, Disabled people and old people.

Everyone else can feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

K4t wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with being a gentleman and recognising that women are not men.

I do recognize that they're not men. My sex-life is predicated on it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pfft, they got the vote

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Taz86 wrote: »
    I find a lot of men hold the door open for me and wait for me to go on ahead and then they follow! Blush. I hate that.
    All joking aside, what would you expect them to do? They were going to go through the door just as you arrived and being nice to you the held it open and allowed you enter first. What next? Change their plans and go somewhere else? Wait a pre-ordained amount of time before entering? You blush? So you should young lady, so you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

fitz0 wrote: »
    I believe gender equality killed chivalry.

I believe feminisim killed chivalry. Gender equality is a good thing-feminisim not so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Once, an elderly man offered me his seat. He obviously needed it more than I did, and I didn't accept.

In fact, I wouldn't have accepted it anyway, no matter how young he had been. I can stand just as well as the next person.

Hi there

herbert.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Splendour wrote: »
    I believe feminisim killed chivalry. Gender equality is a good thing-feminisim not so good.
    Not saying it isn't. But if women are equal, then surely preferencial treatment shouldn't be expected. Can't be equal in some things and not in others, it doesn't work like that. So gender equality is just as guilty of chivilricide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Sorry but so what if i counted the amount of times Males to show i am including all age groups shoved me into a door or slammed it in my face or pushed me off a bus or onto to one,and no excuse me or sorry i would be a multi millionaire over and over again,so yes chivalry is very much dead :rolleyes:

But you should have politely leaned over said excuse me ladies my ankle is sprained or i would give you a seat and see them suck the lemon ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

shqipshume wrote: »
    But you should have politely leaned over said excuse me ladies my ankle is sprained or i would give you a seat and see them suck the lemon ;):D
    Why bother explaining himself? A quick "Sorry, I'm quite comfortable here" would be fine. Or at least it'd be more fun, regardless of whether it's really any quicker or easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Why bother explaining himself? A quick "Sorry, I'm quite comfortable here" would be fine. Or at least it'd be more fun, regardless of whether it's really any quicker or easier.

Nah the simple pleasure of making them feel guilty for their remarks on his account and they might think twice next time they have an attitude.No need to counter rudeness with rudeness and bring yourself down to that level,i always find best way to hit them is with kindness :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr_H_Lecter

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    I say feck them.
    If I have to listen to all this Beyonce "Independent Woman" crap and the new sexually liberated 'sex and the city' generation well then you can go and f*ck off and open your own jar!!!!

Gentleman my hole.

that is such a samantha thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

fitz0 wrote: »
    Not saying it isn't. But if women are equal, then surely preferencial treatment shouldn't be expected. Can't be equal in some things and not in others, it doesn't work like that. So gender equality is just as guilty of chivilricide.

There should be equality for all people, be they men, women or children. This does not necessarily mean that all are treated the same way; men should be treated like men, women like women and children like children.
    How boring life would be if men and women acted the same. Feminism has a lot to answer for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

but I don't agree with having to give up my seat for women who are well capable of standing

http://img.moronail.net/img/3/6/1636.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Women live longer than men anyway, we need all the sitting down time we can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I would've just punched them in the tits.

Of course I'd never advise that another person do this....

Advertisement