Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chivalry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

fitz0 wrote: »
    I believe gender equality killed chivalry.

No chivalry is dead and women have killed it, especially if women emulate these characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭DeCoR18

i'd actually be offended if a young fella got up and gave me his seat, it's like saying i'm the weaker sex and need it more than him. please don't judge my entire gender by this pair of idiots:o

No I won't but I'll judge you based on the absolute ****ing ****e you just typed there.

Thanks.

DeCoR.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

I'd be suspicious if a guy offered me a seat. I'm a young perfectly able-bodied person.

It'd be weird to offer me a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Reminds me of the phrase "Lifeboat Feminists"

'Equality for all, but women and children first!'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Nuggles wrote: »
    I'd be suspicious if a guy offered me a seat. I'm a young perfectly able-bodied person.

It'd be weird to offer me a seat.

You see this is problem men are faced with, "How dare you offer me a seat, while I was perfectly able to stand, stop demeaning me as a strong confident woman that I am!" It's being polite so it is, but of course that's gone as well along with courtesy, manners, decorum etc...

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be offended, I'd be wondering why a guy would do it. I don't expect it.

I mean if a girl offered me her seat I'd decline, I don't need it, why offer it to me?

Like someone opening a door for me I don't plan to walk through, I'd find it weird.

OP, regardless of the ankle you should have manfully struggled to your feet, patted one of them on the bum and said in as condecending a manner as possible "There you go chicken!"

Do a monkfish:

"Oi, don't just stand there, put your knickers on and go an' make me a cup o' tea"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Unless they're pregnant or elderly, they can stand.

Chivalry, my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Chivalry and Equality are mutually exclusive. If you want my seat on the subway for no other reason than you're a woman, you'd want to have cooked me something first.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Sad to see so many cynical responses.

I was brought up to hold open the door, not swear in ladies presence, offer my seat etc to the fairer sex, not because they are women, but because I wish to be a gentleman.

I do not give a toss if a woman/Lady is offended if I offer to assist, I do it because its a nice thing to be, a gentleman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I was brought up to hold open the door, not swear in ladies presence, offer my seat etc to the fairer sex, not because they are women, but because I wish to be a gentleman.

I do not give a toss if a woman/Lady is offended if I offer to assist, I do it because its a nice thing to be, a gentleman.

That is the problem right there, the majority of people were dragged up in this country.

I was brought up to open doors, not to swear at all, offer my seat to people who need it, to say please and thank you. Not to be a gentleman, but to be polite.

I think some people here are getting manners( which both genders should have) and chivalry.

I hear chivalry I think of a guy throwing his coat on a puddle for a woman to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I will hold a door open,but I would hold it open for anyone,its called commom courtesy,and should not be gender related tbh.

Being entitled to a seat just because you have a gee is silly.At the least I would scoot over to make as much room as possible.

I have manners.

But they don't involve giving up a seat to a perfectly able-bodied woman just because I have some corny, antiquated notion of her as a damsel that requires the solicitations of a 'gentleman'.

Perhaps if I lived on a plantation in the American South in the 1800s, I'd think differently.

Holding a door open for anybody is mannerly. Creepy, chivalrous attendance on women simply because they are women is corny, and, in a lot of cases, sexually motivated anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

You give up your seat for pregnant women, woman with toddlers, the elderly and a person with a physical disability.

You forgot 'Hot'. ;)

Most women don't expect this stuff right?

None I know expect special treatment because they're women.

You guys are moaning about this, but do you actually bump into women who expect you to greet them with a kiss on the hand and "enchantée".

hshortt wrote: »
    You forgot 'Hot'. ;)

There's no one hotter than me on the bus.

I was brought up to open doors, not to swear at all, offer my seat to people who need it, to say please and thank you. Not to be a gentleman, but to be polite.

I think some people here are getting manners( which both genders should have) and chivalry.

I hear chivalry I think of a guy throwing his coat on a puddle for a woman to stand on.

Fair comment but same thing to me, manners is essentially what I mean.

"Today, the terms chivalry and chivalrous are used to describe courteous behavior, especially that of men towards women." wiki

stovelid wrote: »
    in a lot of cases, sexually motivated anyway.

Of course it is and maybe if young women were more receptive to it people would have more chances of meeting people other than going and getting s_hitfaced in a club. The way men and women interact in Ireland is ****ing weird to be honest.

I've be chatted up on a bus by an Irish guy. . .

• Advertisement

DeCoR18 wrote: »
    Of course it is and maybe if young women were more receptive to it people would have more chances of meeting people other than going and getting s_hitfaced in a club.

Exactly, if more women shagged blokes in return for a seat on the Luas, the blokes wouldn't have to squander money on drink.

Of course it is and maybe if young women were more receptive to it people would have more chances of meeting people other than going and getting s_hitfaced in a club. The way men and women interact in Ireland is ****ing weird to be honest.

Best post in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Whoa! Talk about dragging the male gender backwards to bending over backwards in the hope of a shag. Men are just starting to realise that they can be who they are and still get laid and that sex is something wanted by both sides not a treat given by one for the others subservient actions.
    Manners = Good. Chivalry = Bad.

stovelid wrote: »
    Exactly, if more women shagged blokes in return for a seat on the Luas, the blokes wouldn't have to squander money on drink.

Fairly sure the economy would collapse if we stopped spending money on drink.

WOMEN HEAR ME continue being dickheads.

Thanks.

DeCoR.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Whoa! Talk about dragging the male gender backwards to bending over backwards in the hope of a shag. Men are just starting to realise that they can be who they are and still get laid and that sex is something wanted by both sides not a treat given by one for the others subservient actions.
    Manners = Good. Chivalry = Bad.

All right all jokes aside, I was talking about general attraction instead of being chivalrous in the hope of a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think youre mistaking manners and chivalry tbh.

Anyway in the OP situation these women did expect because they were women, to get special treatment for no other reason than they're women. Thats the kinda **** I hate.

Similarly - if you want to go america 1880 sure - minorities who feel society owes them an unpayable debt, and they are owed special treatment for no other reason than they are a minority. That pisses me off too.

I've opened doors for anybody. I dont care who you are if I have a door already open and youre 6 feet behind me why would I slam it shut on you? And I dont mind offering seats to the disabled. But in this case we're talking about an able bodied human being that expects to be given special priveledge out of turn. And again, she can **** off in that regard, whomever she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

When I'm going through a door and I see someone right behind me I'll hold the door. Be it man or woman. I don't want a medal for it. It's just having manners.
    You get the very, very rare "thanks". Once a girl said "Aw thanks, that's so chivalrous." I've lost count of the number of times the person has looked at me like I've just stuck something into one of their orifices without consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Hagar wrote: »
    Just say "Sorry love I didn't know you were up the duff, I thought you were just fat, here take a seat those veins on your legs must be killing you".

Hahahaha brilliant!

Thats one to keep for the future! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I commute on the same train line and if i heard something like that my response would be...

"Well you wanted equal rights....."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

please don't judge my entire gender by this pair of idiots:o

A BJ will make it all better, and then a nice steak

Advertisement