Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chivalry

Options
  • 06-08-2009 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was going home on the commuter train from Dublin to Maynooth about 2 weeks ago. I fell asleep for a couple of mins and when I woke up, I heard two women standing in the aisle beside my seat pass a comment that "Chivalry must be dead in Ireland or some people are choosing to ignore this". This was directed at me.

My problem is:
    • I had a sprained anke and needed to sit down. I know they didn't know this but they automatically assumed I didn't require a seat
    • Women automatically think they are entitled to a seat

These were able bodied women who were in their 40's. Why should men have to give up their seat for people like this? They are well capable of standing like any other man.

Don't get me wrong if there was a pregnant woman or elderly woman or any person who looked like they needed a seat I would be first one to offer and have done so on many occasions but I don't agree with having to give up my seat for women who are well capable of standing for 20 mins (maximum journey on the train)

Any thoughts??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Grammar must be morer deadder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Well in this country its one rule for the women and one for the men.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

chivalry when it suits them

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Chivalry. And yes it is dead. Women should get over it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

As an act of chivalry I'm going to tell you it's 'chivalry'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get off the seat you bum

• Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The responce you should have given them was, "yes, madam - death by Feminism."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

OP, regardless of the ankle you should have manfully struggled to your feet, patted one of them on the bum and said in as condecending a manner as possible "There you go chicken!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

pair of tools.

i would never expect a seat from someone unless i was a) heavily pregnant or b) like 80 (and i'd expect old men to get the same treatment).

i'd actually be offended if a young fella got up and gave me his seat, it's like saying i'm the weaker sex and need it more than him. please don't judge my entire gender by this pair of idiots:o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Whats Jean Luc Picards redarded brother got to do with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If a man wears a sign around his neck saying "I carnt spel", women won't expect him to give up his seat. It's one of those less obvious disabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I believe gender equality killed chivalry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

OP, regardless of the ankle you should have manfully struggled to your feet, patted one of them on the bum and said in as condecending a manner as possible "There you go chicken!"

QFT. Although it should be a sexist leering grab to emphasise the point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It seems to me you can't win. If you get up to try give up your seat you're given out to for saying that women are the weaker sex (this has happened to me) but then if you don't get up you get given out to as well. The worst is when there is a fat women and you're not sure if she's pregnant or not. That really is a tough situation to be in.

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

You should have asked what they were doing out in public without a chaperone:pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Shivilery

Shivilery me timbers. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sharms

oh my god nothing annoys me more.. but it's those exact people that make those comments that don't deserve anyone to offer them a seat..more a slap across the face. i get the train home everyday and the blunt rudeness of people drives me crazy... now i wait for my train for probably 20 minutes everyday and before it comes there are at least 2 darts that pass so most people get on them. when my train comes..well there are never any seats..been getting it for 3 years so i'm in no rush to get on in the hope of getting one... obv..common courtesy i stand to the side of the door and let the people off... but there's the people who stand directly infront of them...it's like..are you braindead..you cant get on if you dont let them off... anyways...* rant * there was this man and woman who get the everyday and they had two children in buggies with them and i was, as i always do, let them on first, so as i was standing to the side this old woman turns to me in such an aggressive b*itchy tone "will you get out of the way and let them on" i was just like oh my god the man and woman had to apologse for this complete stranger.. anyways they get on the woman gets 2 seats for her and her husband and the old lady pushes the husband out of the way... its like wtf!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr_H_Lecter

Pair of wenches.
    I would have stood up, given them a smile, stretched a bit and sat back down.:)

mmmm comfy comfy seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Pair of wenches.
    I would have stood up, given them a smile, stretched a bit and sat back down.:)

mmmm comfy comfy seat.
    No, he should of stood up, cock slapped them and then sat back down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Those women sound like posh ladies who never take public transport.

You give up your seat for pregnant women, woman with toddlers, the elderly and a person with a physical disability.

Such as a sprained ankle.

Nothing to do with chivalry, these rules should apply to everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Chivalry died with virtue, after that it just wasn't worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Exactly, it all comes back to the same thing - a fundamental failure to put out. The knights of the round table didn'y go jousting and chasing the questing beast just for jollies you know. If they knew they weren't gonna get any action they would have knocked chivalry on the head.

You can't ahve it both ways girls (fnar, fnar)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

No, chivalry died wen they got the right to vote. You cant have it both ways I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I say feck them.
    If I have to listen to all this Beyonce "Independent Woman" crap and the new sexually liberated 'sex and the city' generation well then you can go and f*ck off and open your own jar!!!!

Gentleman my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

I fell asleep for a couple of mins and when I woke up, I heard two women standing in the aisle beside my seat pass a comment that "Chivalry must be dead in Ireland or some people are choosing to ignore this". This was directed at me. .

Are you sure? I mean, you were asleep. You couldn't give up your seat while asleep. Maybe a heavily pregnant woman with a toddler passed through and no one got up for her and you missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

i always automatically give up my seat for preggers wimmen, elderly, people who look like they need to sit down.

What bugs me is a women in her 30's, has clearly never been on public transport before and walks on with a sense of entitlement that she autmatically should be given a seat. **** OFF YOU STUPID ****. I am not giving you my seat you air head delusional bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

sharms wrote: »
    oh my god nothing annoys me more.. but it's those exact people that make those comments that don't deserve anyone to offer them a seat..more a slap across the face. i get the train home everyday and the blunt rudeness of people drives me crazy... now i wait for my train for probably 20 minutes everyday and before it comes there are at least 2 darts that pass so most people get on them. when my train comes..well there are never any seats..been getting it for 3 years so i'm in no rush to get on in the hope of getting one... obv..common courtesy i stand to the side of the door and let the people off... but there's the people who stand directly infront of them...it's like..are you braindead..you cant get on if you dont let them off... anyways...* rant * there was this man and woman who get the everyday and they had two children in buggies with them and i was, as i always do, let them on first, so as i was standing to the side this old woman turns to me in such an aggressive b*itchy tone "will you get out of the way and let them on" i was just like oh my god the man and woman had to apologse for this complete stranger.. anyways they get on the woman gets 2 seats for her and her husband and the old lady pushes the husband out of the way... its like wtf!!!!

Jesus, Welcome to Boards

Use paragraphs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I would have fully engaged them in their conversation about the death of chivalry, agreeing with them the whole way, and pretending not to see any irony in it. That or make some sexist jibe, or reference the misandry broadcast by the RSA...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Just say "Sorry love I didn't know you were up the duff, I thought you were just fat, here take a seat those veins on your legs must be killing you".

Chivalry isn't dead, it's just getting harder to find ladies.

Advertisement