Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what is it with Dubliners and horrendous first names?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

phasers wrote: »
    Just to clarify, Culchie = anybody from the Republic that isn't from Dublin

I trust you mean the 1st Dáil Republic because there are loads of culchies in Tyrone and Armagh.

I think it's primarily because Dublin is the Capital City of our country and we should be, and really want to be very proud of it.

However to be honest, we are quite embarrassed and disappointed with it, and we, by and large, suspect that the primary reason for it's uselessness is due to the inward looking and ignorant natives..

.....basically Dublin is just a ****ing huge dissapointment and embarrassment to the whole country and we suspect it's all your fault. :P

To quote Barry Fitzgerald in The Quiet Man when the 'Ra said they would burn Squire Danaher's house down: 'That's a fine sentiment, if I don't mind saying so myself'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

This thread reminds me of exactly why the English could so easily conquer the Scots and the Irish in the first place. We were so fncking busy fighting each other that we never even realised what was going on around us.

Cop on the lot of ye!

/There. I said it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

When i first came to ireland some 30 years ago i thought you were all a bunch of boggers. those of you with country accents i thought were travellers and the dublin people came across ether west brits (south siders) or inner city moore st types (north siders)
    I lived for meany happy years in ballybough by Croke park and was put right but the only people that still mistify me are those from the kingdom of Kerry, whats with the mustaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

nick 56 wrote: »
    When i first came to ireland some 30 years ago i thought you were all a bunch of boggers. those of you with country accents i thought were travellers and the dublin people came across ether west brits (south siders) or inner city moore st types (north siders)
    I lived for meany happy years in ballybough by Croke park and was put right but the only people that still mistify me are those from the kingdom of Kerry, whats with the mustaches.

..for straining the guinness....

• Advertisement

nick 56 wrote: »

hehe - you must be English! Hang on and I'll delve back into the 15th century:

' No manner of man that will be taken for an Englishman shall have no beard above his mouth; that is to say shall have no hair upon his upper lip; so that the said upper lip shall be once at least shaven every fortnight'

http://tinyurl.com/l8caxq

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

I always thought the most common dublin name was Roish, taken from the classic irish word meaning correct with a splash of south side D4 pretence added.

having worked in a fancy, yummy mummy type shop, ive heard my fair share of horrible names inflicted upon poor D4 children........Cúchulainn probably being the worst :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

having worked in a fancy, yummy mummy type shop, ive heard my fair share of horrible names inflicted upon poor D4 children........Cúchulainn probably being the worst :confused:

naming your child as a dog?

In tralee I once heard a mother calling to her child "Caprice"

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I heard a little skanger in the Square being called back to its mother - "Fabrizio, cuh-MEEYA":confused:

Italian father?

Either that or you're lying.

Italian father?

Either that or you're lying.

Does it matter if he's lying? It's a good scéal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

In response to your question:

Kilkenny = Culchie
    Derry + Belfast = Nordie

I'm from Dundalk - does that make me a Bordie?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

You just don't get it, do you? Okay, I'm gonna spell it out for everybody here once and for all, just so we're all singing from the same hymn sheet. Corkonians should especially take note:

If you are not from Dublin, or the greater Dublin area, then you are a culchie.

You are a silly man.
    I don't know what Dubs are so proud of. As the main city of Ireland it is an epic fail. I mean......The Spire.

Poor lad doesn't quite understand the concept of urbanisation me thinks. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Oh no. It seems i'm a culchie. Life is over for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I can fully accept when i'm in the wrong, but on this occasion I have yet to be disproven. It's my word against yours so far, and without a proper poll or more comment from others, I stand by my assertion.

In response to your question:

Kilkenny = Culchie
    Derry + Belfast = Nordie

*facepalm*
    first a culchie is anyone from outside dublin, now you're amending that? please make up your mind.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

i don't understand why some parent inflict certin names on there kids ..worst are...Tia,Tigan, Lexie,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

grenache wrote: »
    Give me Francie or John-Joe any day! Real proper Irish names, not pretencious or fake like some of our urban cousins naming their kids Shannon, Chelsea and Chantelle :rolleyes:

Are you serious john-joe oh good god have you had your kids yet :eek: I hope you have and no longer have ability to make more,poor kids :(

And if that is your name or anyone elses here very sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Give me Francie or John-Joe any day! Real proper Irish names, not pretencious or fake like some of our urban cousins naming their kids Shannon, Chelsea and Chantelle :rolleyes:

jj is ok but john joe and francie are tinkers names

*facepalm*
    first a culchie is anyone from outside dublin, now you're amending that? please make up your mind.:rolleyes:

Well i assumed that everybody took it for granted we were talking about the republic. Obviously the pedants didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

shqipshume wrote: »
    Are you serious john-joe oh good god have you had your kids yet :eek: I hope you have and no longer have ability to make more,poor kids :(

And if that is your name or anyone elses here very sorry :o
    No i'll leave the kids until i'm married, but thanks for the good wishes :) I personally wouldn't name my kids john-joe or francis, they're not quite for me! But they're certainly a lot better than tyler or chantelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Take me for a ride away from the places I have known,
    If I stay around I'll just remember I'm alone,
    There's someone in my memory making me move on,
    What was grey and hazy, is black and white now I have gone.

Drive me up to London now it's got too dark to see,
    My waiting is over, there's no visitor for me.
    Never let me talk to you, destroy the frozen past,
    It's a different time now thing's are moving much to fast.

Float by today, now it's turning to grey,
    Raining my doubts let my thoughts slip away.
    You must have something and what it is I don't know,
    You must have something 'cause I can't let you go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Well i assumed that everybody took it for granted we were talking about the republic. Obviously the pedants didn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culchie

here, enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Right.. I wasnt very clear... We live in Ireland. Shakira or Britney, Chelsea or fecking Chantelle are foreign names, originated in foreign countries. Have no connection with Ireland.

Names like Seán, Pat, Michael are Irish names. Therefore, it would be more appropriate that Irish people be called these names.

Britney means "Land of the Brittons" Ya, very Irish altogether! We live in Ireland, we should stick to common Irish names.

Are you taking the p1ss? I couldn't think of anything more boring than everybody being called common Irish names like Seán and Mary. I know at least ten people already called Seán or Mary, we don't need any more of them.

Ffs,who cares if the names are foreign? :rolleyes:

Sometimes I forget how backwards and isolationist this country is. Woe betide you step out of line and do anything outside the the norm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mr.Pong

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You expected me to respond to that crap?
    Thats some amount of waffle there!

And you can't respond to the waffle because, well, it's the truth.Some people getting a bit touchy about my observations. Oh well, the truth hurts , i guess.

i notice that culchies get very irate when Dubs point out their flaws, and try to respond by making fun if Dublin...then they come up to Dublin to work and live because there's sweet feck all in the bog. Lol.this whole thread has just displayed the bogger inferiority complex. hold out lads, one day you may be as good as dublin...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Even trying to comprehend the reason for this thread is giving me a headache.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement