Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what is it with Dubliners and horrendous first names?

Options

Comments

Rebelheart wrote: »
    hehe. Well, I think every one of us culchies would be quite honoured that at least we are not Jackeens, people named after their enthusiastic affinity for a certain flag of a certain country!

Jackeen what does it mean and where did it originate?:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61877

Assuming you're from Cork, wasn't a part of your county renamed 'in honour' of a visiting royal before the famine, then hastily renamed 50 years later with the formation of the state?

Also, are you aware of the etymology of the word "culchie"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Mr.Pong wrote: »
    I've never known any Dub to called those names. ''Chelsea'' is more of an English thing anyway.

Culchies shouldn't be jealous of Dubs just because they're all called Sean or Mary, or maybe at a stretch, Jimmy John Joe.

and at least Dubs don't refer to their parents as ''mammy and daddy'' at the age of 50.
    Thats some amount of waffle there!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why are country folk on boards so obsessed with Dublin,the Capital city of Ireland?

if you dont like the big city dont visit it,dont go to college in it,dont work in it and dont live in it

As a Dublin man i have no interest in visiting,working or living in the countryside but i dont feel the need to bad mouth the poor unfortunates who have to live in those conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You just don't get it, do you? Okay, I'm gonna spell it out for everybody here once and for all, just so we're all singing from the same hymn sheet. Corkonians should especially take note:

If you are not from Dublin, or the greater Dublin area, then you are a culchie.

dubs and their high opinions of themselves :p

you do realise that to someone not from ireland everyone from co dublin to co donegal from mayo to loyalists in armagh is a paddy, a red haired freckled faced alco who loves fighting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mam1

Somehow... I dont think he hates Dublin because he wants to be from there... I doubt very much its jealousy... Particularly after yer display yesterday in Croke Park

"Oh my God, did she just mention GAA, that means she must be...A CULCHIE..!!!!!!!"

Grow up will ye, open yer eyes, the OP is right. Its scummy!!

Right, Mary, John, Pat... They're not the most imaginative names... But at least they've a bit of culture attached to them!!!
    I'm sorry but at no point did I make mention of GAA I also make no mention of the so called "skanger names" you are so opposed to I merely pointed out that perhaps wireless is an outdated old fashioned word to say the very least, so if there is any growing up to be done one must assume it is by you, personally speaking Mary John Pat etc are fine as are whatever each indivdual wishes to call their child try to remember though that in this current climate not everybody wants a good holy name for their children

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If I ever have a kid it's being called bollocko or vagino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If I ever have a kid it's being called bollocko or vagino.

Fraternal twins would be a godsend in this case.

Bollix and Vag for short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm afraid you're wrong, bud. A Culchee is someone from a rural area, small town, (or medium town, I guess. I ain't sure) and countrycide. If you're from a large town or a city (any city) then you're not...
    And honestly, it's statements like this that perpetuate the myth that Dubliners think they're the end-all and be-all of Ireland.
    assuming you're not still twelve, grow up:rolleyes:

and regarding the op. At least it's not as bad as naming your kid Shakira or Justin!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Ah come on, Chelsea isn't that bad. Look at this article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7522952.stm

I quite like "Midnight Chardonnay".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

Dibs on "sex fruit"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Get over it! just stick to the usual and call your kids mary, joe, john, sean or paddy! and dont mind other peoples kids names

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Fugly wrote: »
    Dibs on "sex fruit"

I call Queenis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

bug wrote: »
    Personally I hate over the top, invented new Oirish names, like Beibhin (sp) (which essentially means baby pig).

I think you'll find that a baby pig is called a banbh (pronounced bon-av).

Funny how the Dubs were all over the GAA until they were put back in their respective hurling and football boxes by Limerick and Kerry. Disappointing really, given the population of Dublin. It's always hard to be the biggest loser (proportionally speaking).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

a mate of mine had a relative who worked in the birth certificate office and used to tell him when he got a fun name.

My personal fave was Pocahontas Brady.

Oh and the triplets Tasmin,Yasmin and Jasmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Names are names. People seem to complain when they are old fashioned names yet also complain when they are new. You all just want to complain admit it. Why can't someone have a name of Italian or German origin? Are we going to mock African and Eastern European names too when future kids are inevitably named that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

I've got a german origin name, and I don't find it a problem it rocks. but then again I want to call a child sex fruit/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Chelsea, I know. What a name. Jesus sensible people name their kids Fiachra, or Fintan, or Rebecca so at least then her friends can call her 'Bex babes' on the phone.

Don't care what her and the father wanted to call their child within reason, best wishes to them for the future and I'm sure the child will be proud of her mothers actions when she grows up.

(**I read the first three pages and haven't seen it mentioned within them, the woman who gave birth to Chelsea is one of the Thomas Cook workers)

What's wrong with Chelsea? Chelsea Clinton seems quite happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

There should be a "f*ck you" button as well as the thanks one.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Quiet, culchie. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

It stands to reason that many parents will call their children after popular names of the day.
    Its only a matter of time before we have teenage Britany's and Rhiannon's and Bionce's bouncing around the place.

But those good old fashioned biblical names will never go out of fashion.
    Michael, Stephen, James, Judas.
    Timeless classics every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

You just don't get it, do you? Okay, I'm gonna spell it out for everybody here once and for all, just so we're all singing from the same hymn sheet. Corkonians should especially take note:

That is all. I know you think you're somewhat more civilised than the cattle-drivin', checked-shirt-tucked-into-the-wranglers wearin', plough jockeys that pass for human beings in some of the more godforsaken parts of your various counties (and you may in fact be correct), but to us Dubs, you are all one and the same.

I've neither met nor heard of anybody from Dublin with the first 5 of those names, however I've met 2 Dympnas and 1 Assmpta and they were both culchies. Anecdotal, I know, but there ya go.

They're relatively nice names. Unlike some of the more stereotypically bogland monikers like Francie, John-Joe or Gobnait.
    Give me Francie or John-Joe any day! Real proper Irish names, not pretencious or fake like some of our urban cousins naming their kids Shannon, Chelsea and Chantelle :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

I know someone who called her twins Dolce and Gabbana!

Coolest names I've ever heard!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

grenache wrote: »
    Give me Francie or John-Joe any day :rolleyes:

Well... anyday that I want to my driveway Tarmacked.

grenache wrote: »
    Give me Francie or John-Joe any day! Real proper Irish traveller names.....

Fixed
    nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Whats the matter, truth hurts?
    I'm afraid you're wrong, bud. A Culchee is someone from a rural area, small town, (or medium town, I guess. I ain't sure) and countrycide. If you're from a large town or a city (any city) then you're not...
    And honestly, it's statements like this that perpetuate the myth that Dubliners think they're the end-all and be-all of Ireland.
    assuming you're not still twelve, grow up

Incorrect. Ask anyone from Dublin, bud, and they will laugh in your face if you told them you were from Cork City (sic) so you are therefore exempt from Culchie status. Not a Dub = Culchie. Them's the rules.

Also, is countrycide like genocide, but for culchies? And wtf is wrong with Justin as a name?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Incorrect. Ask anyone from Dublin, bud, and they will laugh in your face if you told them you were from Cork City (sic) so you are therefore exempt from Culchie status. Not a Dub = Culchie. Them's the rules.

Also, is countrycide like genocide, but for culchies? And wtf is wrong with Justin as a name?

what's wrong mate, can't accept when you're wrong? so you would honestly say a person from Kilkenny, Derry or Belfast that they're culchies? i'm afraid they'd laugh in your face. just an example of how warped your logic is, but then again, all you're doing is trying to create a Dublin vs. everyone else attitude.

I can fully accept when i'm in the wrong, but on this occasion I have yet to be disproven. It's my word against yours so far, and without a proper poll or more comment from others, I stand by my assertion.

In response to your question:

Kilkenny = Culchie
    Derry + Belfast = Nordie

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Who cares if non-Dubliners are called culchies by Dubs.

Sure most of Dubliners are scumbags, who cares what they think.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Why are country folk on boards so obsessed with Dublin,the Capital city of Ireland?

if you dont like the big city dont visit it,dont go to college in it,dont work in it and dont live in it

As a Dublin man i have no interest in visiting,working or living in the countryside but i dont feel the need to bad mouth the poor unfortunates who have to live in those conditions

I think it's primarily because Dublin is the Capital City of our country and we should be, and really want to be very proud of it.

However to be honest, we are quite embarrassed and disappointed with it, and we, by and large, suspect that the primary reason for it's uselessness is due to the inward looking and ignorant natives..

.....basically Dublin is just a ****ing huge dissapointment and embarrassment to the whole country and we suspect it's all your fault. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Just to clarify, Culchie = anybody from the Republic that isn't from Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement