Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what is it with Dubliners and horrendous first names?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

In this thread we pick a stereotypical characteristic flaw of the lower classes, and criticise it, reasserting our place above them as better people.

/thread

Tomorrow on AH, tracksuits, uniform of the plebs? Be sure to tune in for this totally original discussion, which is sure to bear a fruitful outcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Another problem with names is both parents wanting their surname after the childs name.

Like Mary Duffy Doherty, well what happens when Mary Duffy Doherty grows up and has a child with John Darcy Devlin will they name the child - Chelsea Duffy Doherty Darcy Devlin???

Where does it stop??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Attracta is actually a saints name and very old Irish.
    Same with Philomena.

hardly scangery, and not limited to Dublin.

Most women with these names are for the most part 40+ and a product of the Isle of saints and scholars.

Saints winning out when it came to naming children.

However calling you child after a football team should be banned for many reasons.

Personally I hate over the top, invented new Oirish names, like Beibhin (sp) (which essentially means baby pig).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Doesnt Bertie have a Cecillia and a Georgina?

He does, he does indeed. How about that for a coincidence (ahem!)!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

Shakira, Britney, Chelsea, Jacinta...

Come in for yer tea will ye's??!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Britney has to take the cake. What is wrong with Mary or Eve. I also met a lad called Conrad :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think the name "Rashers" from Strumpet City sums this all up tbh.

In this thread we pick a stereotypical characteristic flaw of the lower classes, and criticise it, reasserting our place above them as better people.

/thread

Tomorrow on AH, tracksuits, uniform of the plebs? Be sure to tune in for this totally original discussion, which is sure to bear a fruitful outcome!

Em, otherwise it could be a genuine attempt to understand this cultural disposition.

If I'm not mistaken most Irish-related threads here are, in misleading "class" terms, against the scumbags who have ruined our economy. The politicians, bankers and the entire lot of supposedly "upper" or "middle" class people. "They" are rightly rounded upon on a daily basis. So much for ideas of class oppression.

PS: But a tracksuit thread is a good idea, almost as good as a "How can these muppets think spoilers are actually cool in 2009?" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mam1

Eh sorry but you were listening to a what??Wireless,yea I rest my case buy a T.V. get some cable and get a life, and yes I am from Dublin dont hate us cos you aint us....

don't you mean big brother trends? chantelle etc.

Chantelle??? Oh Jesus, nobody would call their kid that?

• Advertisement

mam1 wrote: »
    Eh sorry but you were listening to a what??Wireless,yea I rest my case buy a T.V. get some cable and get a life, and yes I am from Dublin dont hate us cos you aint us....

Somehow... I dont think he hates Dublin because he wants to be from there... I doubt very much its jealousy... Particularly after yer display yesterday in Croke Park

"Oh my God, did she just mention GAA, that means she must be...A CULCHIE..!!!!!!!"

Grow up will ye, open yer eyes, the OP is right. Its scummy!!

Right, Mary, John, Pat... They're not the most imaginative names... But at least they've a bit of culture attached to them!!!

Terry wrote: »
    What's your name?

Put it like this, it's not one of those meaningless fashionable airhead names taken off a TV screen.

What ever happened to established traditions such as, to take one of many, naming your kids after the local saint in your parish? There is a connection there, a meaning, a tradition and a history.

These wannabe cool (God save us) names: puh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Chantelle??? Oh Jesus, nobody would call their kid that?

Oh they would and they had...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Right, Mary, John, Pat... They're not the most imaginative names... But at least they've a bit of culture attached to them!!!

What culture? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Rebelheart wrote: »

What ever happened to established traditions such as, to take one of many, naming your kids after the local saint in your parish? There is a connection there, a meaning, a tradition and a history.

People stopped caring about the Church, that's what happened.

And I don't see how it's meaningless to name your child in a way you like rather than whatever parish you happen to live in.

Besides most of names mentioned in the OP were saints' names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Why dont we just call our kids seamus, paidi, tadgh, nancy or bridget. Make country folk feel at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

orourkeda wrote: »
    Why dont we just call our kids seamus, paidi, tadgh, nancy or bridget. Make country folk feel at home

Anto and deco would knife them.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Anto and deco would knife them.

Battered by beyonce and heavenly harani tigerlily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

/thread

you're the person who described it as a "flaw".

on a totally separate issue, isn't middle class self-loathing a terrible thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

Doesnt Bertie have a Cecillia and a Georgina?

Thats probably why the op is saying that they are horrible names because he prob thinks bertie is a scum?!? Complete bollix in my opinion, Cecilia is a completely acceptable name!:rolleyes:

Now when I hear the names sky and rhys... I start to wonder!!!:eek:

No joke, I was in mc donalds in omni last year and heard a woman shout after her little girl, pocahantus get back here!!!

• Advertisement

Acacia wrote: »
    What culture? :confused:

Right.. I wasnt very clear... We live in Ireland. Shakira or Britney, Chelsea or fecking Chantelle are foreign names, originated in foreign countries. Have no connection with Ireland.

Names like Seán, Pat, Michael are Irish names. Therefore, it would be more appropriate that Irish people be called these names.

Britney means "Land of the Brittons" Ya, very Irish altogether! We live in Ireland, we should stick to common Irish names.

Thats probably why the op is saying that they are horrible names because he prob thinks bertie is a scum?!? Complete bollix in my opinion, Cecilia is a completely acceptable name!:rolleyes:

Now when I hear the names sky and rhys... I start to wonder!!!:eek:

No joke, I was in mc donalds in omni last year and heard a woman shout after her little girl, pocahantus get back here!!!

I'd say he's had a few cecilia's in his time alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Battered by beyonce and heavenly harani tigerlily

While Quentin looked on agast, unable to finish his latte.

Flanked by Dorian and Gordon sporting the latest pink pringles

Flanked by Dorian and Gordon sporting the latest pink pringles

And another thing... What the hell is up with Dubliners putting an "o" at the end of every name...

Sad!

And another thing... What the hell is up with Dubliners putting an "o" at the end of every name...

Sad!

As opposed to putting it in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Sad!

STFU saddo.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Right.. I wasnt very clear... We live in Ireland. Shakira or Britney, Chelsea or fecking Chantelle are foreign names, originated in foreign countries. Have no connection with Ireland.

Names like Seán, Pat, Michael are Irish names. Therefore, it would be more appropriate that Irish people be called these names.

hahaha, I hope you are some form of a troll.

Hats off to the one and only Mr Frank Zappa for christening his offspring Moon Unit, Dweezil and Diva Muffin.

Quite fetching I think you'll agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

bug wrote: »
    Personally I hate over the top, invented new Oirish
    names, like Beibhin (sp) (which essentially means baby pig).

In early Irish mythology, Bébinn was a goddess associated with birth and the sister of the river-goddess, Boann. The name was also borne by a variety of mythological figures, who may or may not be the same goddess.

The name Bébinn and its variants is quite common in records from early Irish history, and was borne by historical as well as mythical figures, including a number of queens and abbesses.

In Irish Gaelic, Bébinn means "beautiful woman" or "fair woman". Variant forms include Bé Bind, Bé Find, Bebhinn, Bébhionn, Bébind, Béfind and Béfionn. While it has also been Anglicized as Vivionn and Vivian, it is unrelated to the French or English names.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement