Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas Cook Grafton Street store occupied by the workers

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/thomas-cook-deal-agreed--but-details-disputed-1859846.html

They seem to have gotten a few extra quid. Was it worth it? I'd imagine they'll never be working in the travel industry in Ireland again. I wonder what other travel agents will do when they get a CV from an employee that was in the sit in. The ones that have been there years probably won't care but the ones that didn't get a big payout will be looking for new jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

If ye all vote for me i promise that i'll tax the fcuk out of their packages - that'll teach 'em - and their "the world owes me a living" ways:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Similar sit-in protest for extra redundancy pay above statuatory minimum going on now in some DIY store in Mitchellstown Co Cork. One of the workers was on the 1pm news making their case. Wonder if this will go the same way as TC...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Depends: did the CEO of the DIY form get a £5m payoff last year...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Depends: did the CEO of the DIY form get a £5m payoff last year...?
    Not really as relevant as whether the store is profitable or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Well done to them, glad to hear they won concessions. Same story as the Belfast occupation then, direct action delievers. This are by no means 'victories', but are still improvements and should be welcomed. Well done to the 'TC25'!

Very little is known of the Cork occupation at the minute, but this is a piece of Copypasta from Indymedia.ie
    Sixteen workers at a Co-op Superstore in New Square, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork are holding a sit-in protest as a result of the company announcing redundancies without discussions with their union. The company, which is partly owned by Dairygold and their shareholders, have also announced the closure of their Patrick Street store in Fermoy, Co. Cork with the loss of eight jobs.
    Management at the company told the sixteen members of staff in Mitchelstown yesterday (Wednesday, 12 August 2009) that the store would close on Sunday, 16 August and that the workers would receive statutory redundancy of two weeks pay per year of employment along with notice payments.

The workers say they are disappointed the company breached agreements with their representatives, Mandate Trade Union, and failed to engage in any discussions regarding the redundancies.

Lorraine O’Brien, Divisional Organiser with Mandate said, “The workers have told me they will be operating a sit-in protest due to the failure of the company to engage in any meaningful consultation with them or their union. They have said they will not be moving from their current position without proper discussions with Mandate and they are prepared to hold out for ‘as long as necessary’ in order to make their position known

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if the thomas cook workers are so great, no doubt they have already walked into their next job! NOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ixoy wrote: »
    Not really as relevant as whether the store is profitable or not.

Actually, it is: I'm assuming the DIY store is not profitable, hence the need to cut staff, as was the situation in TC. If the DIY store IS profitable and still cutting back, it's a different ball game.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement