Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

What is it with Scott and having extended cuts released later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Has anyone watched the making of documentary called "The Furious Gods" yet? I have the couch booked tonight to watch it, only thing is it's 3 hours 40 minutes long :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Arciphel wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the making of documentary called "The Furious Gods" yet? I have the couch booked tonight to watch it, only thing is it's 3 hours 40 minutes long :pac::pac::pac:

whats that?
    where's this on? DVD?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's on the Special Edition Blu-ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Arciphel wrote: »
    Have watched the first 90 minutes or so and its very good so far. Two things that stand out
    1: Everybody has nothing but praise for Fassbender as an actor and person, the off camera dialog between himself and Guy Pierce is hilarious :D
    2: The sets they built for the movie are impressively huge and complex, they even had to make the already big stage 80m longer the sets were so big...

Might watch the rest tonight, wonder will they talk about the mixed reaction it got when it was released?
    Merch wrote: »
    whats that?
    where's this on? DVD?
    3D Special Edition Blu-ray only as it comes with a third disc that is just this documentary plus some other small features.
    Its worth the extra few euro, even if like me you don't have a 3D tv.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prometheus-Special-Edition-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B005ZCHWZY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349966808&sr=8-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

I rewatched a fan-edited version lately where the deleted scenes are restored, and it improves the film greatly. Some of the stupid decisions made by the crew are kinda explained, and there are extra exposition and extra engineer scenes that help the film a lot. It's still full of stupid stuff, but it's far more forgiveable.

I might just check that out, cheers.

In relation to a previous post criticising my lack of critique I made it explicitly clear I think it has been well enough articulated in this thread what was wrong with the film. There is little, if anything, I can add in that respect.

There seems to be some love for this film yet, unlike the well spelled out issues with it, there seems a distinct lack of clear reasons as to why this should be.

I'm curious as to why some people seem to think this film is worth while. I wasn't literally asking you to convince me to watch it again.

Next time I'll phrase the question a little more blandly and to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Boo Radley wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why some people seem to think this film is worth while.

I think people have explained that at length in the thread, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭jones

There will be a directors cut of this...i hope. Am i the only one who doesnt really like watching the extra scenes seperately from the film? drives me nuts ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭rednik

jones wrote: »
    There will be a directors cut of this...i hope. Am i the only one who doesnt really like watching the extra scenes seperately from the film? drives me nuts ha

I doubt Scott will release a directors cut, he wasn't too pushed in releasing the DC of Alien which took 24 years to release. Charles De Lauzirika who made the Furious Gods has already stated Ridley Scott was offered to recut the film but he said the released version is his directors cut.

http://screenrant.com/prometheus-directors-cut-ridley-scott-original-script/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd say Scott will relent and do an extended cut at some point. He didn't originally plan on doing an extended cut of Gladiator either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭rednik

I can only see him do it if there is a sequel. The figures are very good for Prometheus and the sales of the blu ray/dvd should add to it big time. Fox were very sly putting the special features disc only with the 3D version.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Kingdom of Heaven got a DC that was far superior to the cinema cut. Not sure how difficult that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

kowloon wrote: »
    Kingdom of Heaven got a DC that was far superior to the cinema cut. Not sure how difficult that was.

It was much better than the original - the problem there was Scott got warned to cut down the length of the movie, and ended up fatally damaging it.

In the case of Prometheus, I doubt more scenes would solve the problems I have with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I watched the cut scenes, not really sure they would add much to the film except the fyfield creature which was pretty awesome and the extended fight with the Engineer.

Why these where cut??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Jon Spaihts' original Prometheus script is loose.

http://www.prometheusforum.net/Alien-Engineers.pdf

Has anybody read the original script? I just have, its definitely an improvement but really is a Alien Prequel leading directly into the original film. I can see why they changed it, if the were creating a new series of films.

A lot more action in it, towards the end especially and also the fact that Holloway wasn't a complete dick helped.

Has anybody read the original script? I just have, its definitely an improvement but really is a Alien Prequel leading directly into the original film. I can see why they changed it, if the were creating a new series of films.

A lot more action in it, towards the end especially and also the fact that Holloway wasn't a complete dick helped.

bullvine wrote: »

It's poor stuff, but in its defense it isn't as schizophrenic as what ended up on the screen. If I were Lindelof I'd be delighted to see this has gotten out.

I enjoyed reading it as its a by the number scifi/action script which I would have preferred to Prometheus.

The script wasn't without its plotholes though and the thought of 15 foot tall engineers on screen made me laugh.

• Advertisement

bullvine wrote: »
    I enjoyed reading it as its a by the number scifi/action script which I would have preferred to Prometheus.

The script wasn't without its plotholes though and the thought of 15 foot tall engineers on screen made me laugh.

The height thing was probably a hedge in regard to the uncertain size of the space jockey in Alien. They could have been taller.

I'm now even more curious as to how we ended up with the train wreck that was Prometheus script. Was this really the script that lured Scott back to the Alien universe?

It's not like it was a spec script. Scott hired Spaihts, told him what he wanted and sent him away to write it. Spaihts did as he was told, just as Lindelof did. It's pointless apportioning blame to either Spaihts or Lindelof when Scott's fingerprints are all over the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It's not like it was a spec script. Scott hired Spaihts, told him what he wanted and sent him away to write it. Spaihts did as he was told, just as Lindelof did. It's pointless apportioning blame to either Spaihts or Lindelof when Scott's fingerprints are all over the script.

Lame excuse for the writers tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I dunno, I keep watching this over again and again. Liked it the first time I saw it (even with all the bad comments in advance), but it has grown on me - like the Alien 3 film did over time.

Sure there are lots of questions but that's why there is a second part on the way. There will always be a certain amount of the fans not happy with a big film like this, but the film is a critical and commercial success.

$130 million to produce
    $400 million in box office so far

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=prometheus.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Lindelof's script is out too. Side by side, Lindelof's is better. Spaihts has too many Xeno's that kill a few people and then are killed relatively easily. On screen their impact as a threat would have been lost. It was a good idea to remove the xenos and try something different, which is what Lindelof did. Though I did really enjoy the David/facehugger scene in Spaihts draft. That would have been awesome :)

There were some elements of Spaihts draft that shouldn't have been removed though. For instance the motivations of the crew for signing up for a mission without no knowledge of the job were made clearer. The snake attack scene (centipede in the movie) worked better too, as did the Fifield monster. And biggest of all, the movie SHOULD have been about scavenging tech, not in the search for eternal life. It worked sooo much better.

Also, though the movie followed Lindelof's script, it wasn't an exact translation which has led to a fair few of the plot holes in the movie. For instance, the goo was explained much clearer as an agent that can create or destroy depending on what it is applied to. That was kind of lost in the movie.

Best outcome would have been Lindelof's script - Weyland + Spaihts teraforming tech angle, Fifield monster, character development & explanation for how the Engineers "evolved" us as opposed to "created" us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

TV premiere tonight on RTE at 21:00
    for those that missed it

I will tune in if i can for a second watch , not impressed the first time although i was tired and emotional also there was there was the legacy of Alien and the massive marketing campaign and hype which inflated exceptions

Give it another chance,
    maybe they have made some changes as well?

Did they ever make a directors cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

TV premiere tonight on RTE at 21:00
    for those that missed it

I will tune in if i can for a second watch , not impressed the first time although i was tired and emotional also there was there was the legacy of Alien and the massive marketing campaign and hype which inflated exceptions

Give it another chance,
    maybe they have made some changes as well?

Did they ever make a directors cut?

No director's cut - yet. There are quite a few deleted scenes on the DVD/blu-ray that, if put back in, would make the film a better one. As it stands, it is a great looking piece of sf marred by the usual Lindelof shortcomings (his plotting is at an arrested development level).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Blaming Lindelof for the plot of Prometheus is ridiculous. He was brought in to help sort out the script.

It's all down to Ridley Scott.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

tok9 wrote: »
    Blaming Lindelof for the plot of Prometheus is ridiculous. He was brought in to help sort out the script.

It's all down to Ridley Scott.

My bad: with Scott only directing, and Lindelof collaborating with the much less-experienced Spaihts (one credit before Prometheus), what was I thinking attributing bad writing in the film to one of the biggest hacks in the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ya now that I think about it you're right. Scott is essentially a cameraman. It's the people writing the script who make up 90% of the movie.

Advertisement