Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It sounds as if the draft would have been just an unimaginative cash-in prequel, so they hired lindelof to make it into an incoherent confused mess instead.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It sounds as if the draft would have been just an unimaginative cash-in prequel, so they hired lindelof to make it into an incoherent confused mess instead.

Indeed. Tbh, I would rather if it had been eggs facehuggers, chestbursters and xenos in this movie with the engineers ship somehow crashing on LV-426 at the end, also eggs rather than canisters. As it is it's just a mess and the creatures make no sense in the context of the other films. They still could have had Shaw flying off to paradise for the sequel and this film would fit into the established universe a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭rednik

Review of the extras on the upcoming blu ray release, the 3D version will contain a lot more.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/09/29/prometheus-the-extras-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah extra bonus disc on 3D release that's the one I'm buying as you'll get the film on standard High Def as well! Think Fox are just trying to increase sales on the 3D version by including the extra bonus disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Wow 159 pages!
    I have limited access to the internet these days (at least limited time to access restricted sites, like boards and any discussion forum), but have a couple specific questions:

1) What's the theory about the opening scenes at the waterfall? The engineer drinks from a cup of the xenomorph goo in an almost ritualized manner, or perhaps as a sort of protest directed at the ship hoovering above?

2) When they wake the engineer in deep slumber, he attacks, his eyes look black so does this mean he was contaminated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Coming a bit late to this thread but as a fan of the Alien movies (1, 2 & 4 anyway) overall I enjoyed this and can forgive alot of the problems just because I love its pure sci-fi-ness :D
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Indeed. Tbh, I would rather if it had been eggs facehuggers, chestbursters and xenos in this movie with the engineers ship somehow crashing on LV-426 at the end, also eggs rather than canisters. As it is it's just a mess and the creatures make no sense in the context of the other films. They still could have had Shaw flying off to paradise for the sequel and this film would fit into the established universe a lot better.
    I too would have been happier if they either went full xeno or let the black goo be some other different weapon maybe even something the engineers made to stop the xenos.
    The random xeno getting born at the end of this very much undermined them as the perfectly engineered killing machine they are in the other movies.

But the real question is how does David play the flute!? :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jman0war wrote: »
    Wow 159 pages!
    I have limited access to the internet these days (at least limited time to access restricted sites, like boards and any discussion forum), but have a couple specific questions:

1) What's the theory about the opening scenes at the waterfall? The engineer drinks from a cup of the xenomorph goo in an almost ritualized manner, or perhaps as a sort of protest directed at the ship hoovering above?

2) When they wake the engineer in deep slumber, he attacks, his eyes look black so does this mean he was contaminated?

1) I took that to be the engneers seeding life on earth, human life at least. There's footage of other engineers watching him removed from the film, I think its a ritual sacrifice rather than some renegade actions.

2) Don't think he was contaminated. From the few details we get in the film the engineers had decided to destroy us, something went wrong before they could launch the ship for earth tough. Basically I took the engineers reaction to seeing humans standing around him when he wakes up as "FUUUUUUUUUUUU..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Here is a list of the deleted scenes that are added to the BluRay:

00:02:31:16 (ARRIVAL OF THE ENGINEERS) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:00:58:05 (T’IS THE SEASON) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:00:42:08 (OUR FIRST ALIEN) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:00:42:14 (SKIN) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:01:22:01 (WE’RE NOT ALONE ANYMORE) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:02:57:01 (STRANGE BEDFELLOWS) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:01:25:04 (HOLLOWAY HUNGOVER) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:00:23:12 (DAVID’S OBJECTIVE) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:03:27:07 (JANEK FILLS VICKERS IN) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:03:40:12 (A KING HAS HIS REIGN) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:02:01:24 (FITFIELD ATTACKS) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:04:06:06 (THE ENGINEER SPEAKS) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:05:30:04 (FINAL BATTLE) (DELETED SCENE)
    00:05:05:19 (PARADISE) (DELETED SCENE)

Janek fills Vickers in made me laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Raekwon wrote: »
    Janek fills Vickers in made me laugh

"Carry on Prometheus".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Prometheus the movie should sued by stargate sg1 because stargate spaceship is also called Prometheus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    Prometheus the movie should sued by stargate sg1 because stargate spaceship is also called Prometheus

Hesiod should sue Stargate SGI then, although that's pretty hard when the plaintiff is dead 2,800 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,846 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hesiod should sue Stargate SGI then, although that's pretty hard when the plaintiff is dead 2,800 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

jman0war wrote: »
    Wow 159 pages!

1) I took that to be the engneers seeding life on earth, human life at least. There's footage of other engineers watching him removed from the film, I think its a ritual sacrifice rather than some renegade actions.

2) Don't think he was contaminated. From the few details we get in the film the engineers had decided to destroy us, something went wrong before they could launch the ship for earth tough. Basically I took the engineers reaction to seeing humans standing around him when he wakes up as "FUUUUUUUUUUUU..."

I don't think it was a massive fu.
    At the start the engineer is obviously seeding life on earth.

But as can be seen throughout the movie these engineers were into bio medical warfare. We were needed as hosts for the goo, the spaceship was on its way to earth in order to contaminate us.

Why is the question, we were ginny pigs to them that is all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a Prometheus knocking around in Battlestar Galactica too.

Space travel and ancient Greece - an ever fruitful albeit frequently catastrophic relationship.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

lol, what? You're joking I presume / hope.

There's a Prometheus knocking around in Battlestar Galactica too.

Space travel and ancient Greece - an ever fruitful albeit frequently catastrophic relationship.

Dam Simmons' books ftw!
    pixelburp wrote: »
    lol, what? You're joking I presume / hope.

Probably not I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Duggy747 wrote: »
    making no sense like the Biologist being so happy to touch the hissing mutated worm:

I am a biologist and I would have been uber-excited to see the space cobra.
    Would I have tried to touch/catch it with my bare hands?? Are you frikken mental????

I do not care how excited you would be, you would not risk something like that and all of your training would have prepped to handle the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Overheal wrote: »

I always found that a bit jarring as, a few seasons previous, Jack had stated that he never watched Star Trek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just watched the alternative scenes.

First scene with all the engineers doesn't really add anything, they're there a few seconds and then it carrys on as normal as the one drinks the goo. Feels more at home in a Star Trek movie, to be honest.

The scene were Milburn finds the slighty mutated worms covered in the black goo is interesting and should've been left in the final cut. Explains his eagerness to touch the hammerpede a lot better though the scene should have been longer.

Shaw and Holloway bedroom scene is extended, doesn't really add much except a longer look at Holloway being nervous after seeing the worm in his eye.

The alternative Alien Fifield scene I actually really like. CGI wasn't complete so his movement is jerky but the design of him was much, much better than what we got. Extremely Alien design to him with his stretched translusent head, elongated limbs and his feet are like a Xenomorphs. If they had ironed out his movements (which they would have had they gone with this version) and used some inventive human / alien screams (there's only stock sounds) it would've looked great. He still jumps around like a mad chimp, though, but I really liked it.

I was also right about one of Weyland's men dying in the attack and then suddenly showing up again outside of his bedroom as it shows Fifield grabbing him :pac: Vindication as it had bugged me since I saw the movie whether I was crazy or not.

The Paradise scene is more or less similar to what we got in the final cut except Shaw is a lot more hostile and vicious to David. She's extremely bitter and pissed off in this version.

All in all, the deleted scenes wouldn't have added much if anything to the actual film bar Milburn's worm discovery. I would've preferred Alien Fifield here rather than the zombie version we got, definitely had a more Xenomorph quality to it.

We don't get a subtitled conversation between David and the engineer then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

We don't get a subtitled conversation between David and the engineer then?

There is a 2 or 3 minute clip but the video I saw didn't have it. It only had a handful of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Saw it last night, poor show

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Duggy747 wrote: »

The alternative Alien Fifield scene I actually really like. CGI wasn't complete so his movement is jerky but the design of him was much, much better than what we got. Extremely Alien design to him with his stretched translusent head, elongated limbs and his feet are like a Xenomorphs. If they had ironed out his movements (which they would have had they gone with this version) and used some inventive human / alien screams (there's only stock sounds) it would've looked great. He still jumps around like a mad chimp, though, but I really liked it.

I liked it from the pic posted earlier, his suit looks like a xenomorph skeleton, the raised parts around his neck look like the parts of an alien, and his elongated head, was much better than the zombie looking guy in the final cut pity they didnt finish the cgi for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

What about the "Xeno" at the end ? still the same ****e ?

Also , all these extra scenes are they just as seperate deleted scenes on the bluray , or can you play a whole Extended cut on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

The extra/alternative scenes aren't edited into the film, they are seperate extras on the Bluray release from what I can gather. You do get an extended scene of them waking up the last engineer, there is a conversation and he does talk as well. David also tells the audience what he says to the engineer and Weyland says some further dialogue which definitely better explains why the engineer reacts the way he/she does.

The extended scene with Shaw in the medpod and the engineer coming after her I thought was very very good. Maybe I am in the minority here, I know Ridley Scott said in an interview that the notion of her taking an axe to the engineer somehow diminished him, but it didn't come across that way. I thought it was very reminiscent of the scene in the Narcissus (the lifeboat of the Nostromo) from the end of Alien. It would have been even better if they had included it in the final film with full effects, music etc.

However, I think the biggest mistake they made was cutting out the alternate scene where Janek comes to Vicker's quarters after she has killed Holloway. In that scene Janek reveals a little bit of his military past and tells a story about a mission he was on before which explains his comment later on to Shaw in the theatrical cut of why he thinks this planet is an armoury and a research station for weapons. I thought it really fleshed out some of the themes of the film and I also made Vickers a bit more 3 dimensional than she appeared in the theatrical cut of the film. Why they left it out I don't know :confused:

I heard over on another forum that somebody is doing a fan edit which will be called the "Weyland Investors Cut" and he is going to have a go at editing the extended scenes back into the theatrical release, would be interested to see that but it still isn't going to make this film what we were hoping for....

one other thing, are the extra scenes in 3d only ? seems only available on the 3d bluRay ? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

One other thing that really annoyed me was when David took out the ampule and the drop of black goo was on his finger, you think he would have ran some tests or analysis under a microscope like what Ash or Bishop did in the Alien movies to find out what exactly it was.

Instead of just infecting one of the crew, try and find out was it a virus or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

bullvine wrote: »
    One other thing that really annoyed me was when David took out the ampule and the drop of black goo was on his finger, you think he would have ran some tests or analysis under a microscope like what Ash or Bishop did in the Alien movies to find out what exactly it was.

Instead of just infecting one of the crew, try and find out was it a virus or the like.

Ash and Bishop were newer models, Old versions dont tend to be as good :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Just checked the price of the BD in Xtravision €19.99 for the single disc version with digital copy. The RRP price on the collectors edition was €34.99. What is the price in HMV? The collectors edition is £20 from amazon.

Advertisement