Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Just checked the price of the BD in Xtravision €19.99 for the single disc version with digital copy. The RRP price on the collectors edition was €34.99. What is the price in HMV? The collectors edition is £20 from amazon.

When looking at preorders in HMV the best thing to do is go to the site and see how much it is online and match it to the price in-store for new releases. Prometheus 1 disc Blu-Ray is £15 atm so you should be able to go in and pre-order it instore for 18 euro. The 3D collectors edition is £20 so it should be 23-25 euro. Best thing about pre-ordering in-store in HMV is that you can get most titles for cheaper than the onshelf price. I ordered The Raid on Blu-Ray the day before it was released and at the time it was 14.99. Picked it up the next day at that price even though the on shelf price was 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The extended/deleted scenes add alot more character development that was sorely missing from the theatrical release, characters have cause and the Engineer is not just some hulk smash brute, he shows intelligence, also Shaw has a fight scene with him.

Fifield is much better in CGI and I too feel this should have been what we got.
    Unfortunately the Xeno scene isn't changed to the xenos we all know and love and it is still the lame dinosaur from the theatrical release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I'm looking at this thread through squinted eyes and scrolling past some posts faster then the speed of light.

I missed this in the cinema and I'm picking up the Bluray this evening.
    Seeing as I've no 3D setup but I still want the best edit, should I get collectors or are all the juicy extras just on the 3D version?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

A-Trak wrote: »
    I'm looking at this thread through squinted eyes and scrolling past some posts faster then the speed of light.

I missed this in the cinema and I'm picking up the Bluray this evening.
    Seeing as I've no 3D setup but I still want the best edit, should I get collectors or are all the juicy extras just on the 3D version?
    It seems they're just on the collector's edition. Honestly though, this polarised fans quite a bit, so I'd rent it before committing to €30 outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The extra bonus Disc with all the juicy extras are on the 3D version picked it up in HMV for 27.99 today, pity HMV weren't doing a steelbook for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

There was one scene I had a problem with, but I wasn't sure I remembered it right so I hadn't brought it up, but that honest trailer makes me think I had it right: David activates the engineer cctv and they see, and follow, three engineers running from something or to something. They turn a corner, see two of the engineers enter a room while the third falls at the door and gets decapitated. Thing is, they open the room and its the vase room. It only has the vases, the giant head statue, (and the green rock and the alien mosaic at the back). There are no other exits. So where are the other two engineers?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Those honest trailers are brilliant, their Avatar one totally nails it.

The How It Should Have Ended wones are great too, though their Prometheus one wasn't their best work:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The extra bonus Disc with all the juicy extras are on the 3D version picked it up in HMV for 27.99 today, pity HMV weren't doing a steelbook for this.
    Play.com got exclusive rights to sell the Steelbook in UK and ROI, so could be a couple of months before other retailers have it.

I got the same as you in HMV, I don't have a 3D tv and don't plan on getting a new tv for a while, but just had to get the stand-alone Special Features disc. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

A nice nerdy touch with the bluray is the dual screen app, so you can watch the film and sync it with an iPad or android tablet for extra features synced up with the on screen visuals.

But I can't find the bloody app either on iTunes or Google play. Anyone else managed to find it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seems a cute little Easter Egg, amidst the Blu-Ray features, suggests a link with another sci-fi classic:

http://i.imgur.com/tEKt5.jpeg

I think it's quite clear who & what this is referring to:
    Dr. Tyrell from Blade-Runner

Play.com got exclusive rights to sell the Steelbook in UK and ROI, so could be a couple of months before other retailers have it.

I got the same as you in HMV, I don't have a 3D tv and don't plan on getting a new tv for a while, but just had to get the stand-alone Special Features disc. :cool:

Love the extras disc so much info and indepth details on production of the film and the little Pods that come up every so often is a nice touch to give further breakdown on certain areas of production

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

While watching the documentary it became clear that the editor made alot of mistakes(IMO) in his crusade to make the film as short as possible, even putting whole scenes at different points than originally intended, I guess this is all that Prometheus has to offer:( hope the next one will be interesting but at least I can re-edit those deleted scenes back into the film improving it somewhat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So, Wednesday is the date listed at the end of the Prometheus credits. Are they going to announce the sequel, or does it just lamely refer to the US home release date?

Blu-ray.com review is up: (3D-2D-Special Features)
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Prometheus-3D-Blu-ray/39474/#Review

Only difference is US release has and SD copy on an included DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is there a directors commentary on the BD?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Is there a directors commentary on the BD?

Yes Ridley does one Solo, haven't listened to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I wouldnt mind hearing Scott's commentary, his are usually good and even alone he can carry them

I've listened to his commentary for Blade Runner and Alien which were pretty good.
    Haven't heard the Prometheus one yet, but some have said that Scott keeps mentioning and talking about various 3D effects during the commentary, even though the track is only on the 2D version.

The writers commentary is a right mess apparently. From a review:
    Writer John Spaihts and Writer/Executive Producer Damon Lindelof: I have the unsubstantiated feeling that Spaihts resents Lindelof's involvement—the latter was brought in to rework the former's script—and so I wasn't surprised that this is one of those patchwork commentary tracks where the two participants are recorded separately and their remarks edited together later. Still, there's so much to learn here about the creation of the story, the teasing out of the film's themes, and the development of the characters. Well worth a listen.
    I hate when they record people separately, then put them on the same track. Mad Men did it a couple of times and the Star Wars commentaries (Original Trilogy) are the worst offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jon Spaihts' interview with Empire is quite the interesting read of what could've been with the movie (or possible trilogy):

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1563

• Advertisement

I've listened to his commentary for Blade Runner and Alien which were pretty good.
    Haven't heard the Prometheus one yet, but some have said that Scott keeps mentioning and talking about various 3D effects during the commentary, even though the track is only on the 2D version.

The writers commentary is a right mess apparently. From a review:

I hate when they record people separately, then put them on the same track. Mad Men did it a couple of times and the Star Wars commentaries (Original Trilogy) are the worst offenders.

Yeah it's covered in the first part of the epic making of documentary, Jon Spaiht discusses that the studio where a little nervous about a first time screenwriter and he had been told from the beginning that they would more then likely Bring in another writer so they brought in Lindelof, you can see a certain distain on Spaiht's face when he's discussing it. Also noticed Lindelof, never mentions Spaiht once while discussing the writing and he refers to it as his story or his script. So fair to say no love lost between the two of them, I wonder will Spaiht be involved in the sequel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Jon Spaihts' interview with Empire is quite the interesting read of what could've been with the movie (or possible trilogy):

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1563

In case you're wondering why your post has been edited: full copy & pastes of articles aren't encouraged on boards anymore (due to newish Internet laws), so I've replaced it with a link. A short quote or two is grand when accompanied by a link, but not the full thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm sure Spaiht didn't like being re-written, no writer does, but I doubt he holds any ill will towards Lindelof. In pre-release interviews he was very complementary about the changes made by Lindelof, while pointing out that the film remained essentially true to his drafts. And on Twitter today, Lindelof said that the decision to record them separately for the audio commentary was made by the studio for unknown reasons. Spaiht retweeted him.

The more I learn about the earlier drafts of the script the more surprised I am that Lindelof even got a full writer credit. Spaiht was clearly more involved in the formation of the story and characters than he was. The decision to distance the film from the Alien franchise seems to have come from Rothman.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Okay, this thread clearly has mixed opinions (like most), but I'm just going to say the following.

This was a bad film. A really bad film and I'd really like to hear some coherent arguments to the contrary.

What, if any, are the redeeming features of this film? I think it has been well articulated the faults so I'm curious as to what the advocates here have to say.

From where I'm sitting there is little redeeming features, pretty visuals aside. Tell me why I should give up my time again to watch this, in my opinion, mess of a film.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Boo Radley wrote: »
    Okay, this thread clearly has mixed opinions (like most), but I'm just going to say the following.

This was a bad film. A really bad film and I'd really like to hear some coherent arguments to the contrary.

What, if any, are the redeeming features of this film? I think it has been well articulated the faults so I'm curious as to what the advocates here have to say.

From where I'm sitting there is little redeeming features, pretty visuals aside. Tell me why I should give up my time again to watch this, in my opinion, mess of a film.

Why do you need to be convinced to watch it again? If you didn't like it, that's fine, don't watch it again. And why should someone give coherent arguments as to why it's a good film, when you don't give any to say it's a bad film? :confused:

I watched it again recently and enjoyed it. It's not amazing, it's not ****. An enjoyable enough sci-fi flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

You should watch it again to ponder over all the wonderful unanswered mysteries!
    Also, its pretty funny... almost like a comedy its so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

I rewatched a fan-edited version lately where the deleted scenes are restored, and it improves the film greatly. Some of the stupid decisions made by the crew are kinda explained, and there are extra exposition and extra engineer scenes that help the film a lot. It's still full of stupid stuff, but it's far more forgiveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

where did you get that version or whats it called?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Skerries wrote: »
    where did you get that version or whats it called?
    I saw it at an acquaintances house.
    Sorry I don't know what its called, but it's probably the fan-edit that's talked about in a lot of Prometheus fan forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Arciphel wrote: »
    I heard over on another forum that somebody is doing a fan edit which will be called the "Weyland Investors Cut" and he is going to have a go at editing the extended scenes back into the theatrical release, would be interested to see that but it still isn't going to make this film what we were hoping for....
    Not sure if it is available anywhere :(

Advertisement