Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Drum.lad wrote: »
    Nope not yet Oct 1st.

thanks man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Quick Q lads.
    I missed this in the cinema and even missed the chance to see it on IMAX late last month, due to some "unpleasantness."

I see vue are doing a late night viewing this weekend, probably the last screening in Dublin

Worth waiting for bluray, or should I catch the cinema screening?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A-Trak wrote: »
    Quick Q lads.
    I missed this in the cinema and even missed the chance to see it on IMAX late last month, due to some "unpleasantness."

I see vue are doing a late night viewing this weekend, probably the last screening in Dublin

Worth waiting for bluray, or should I catch the cinema screening?

IMO at least, if you're going to watch it you should do so on a big screen.

It has a number of flaws, but the visuals are breath-taking and best enjoyed on a big screen. I liked the score too so hearing that on a cinema sound system probably tops your home setup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Catch it in 2D in the cinema. If you'll like it, it'll be at least 75% for the visuals, which are the films's best feature. It's a bit dim in places for 3D to let it shine though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I was going to wait for the mooted extended version but I watched the standard release again last night.

Just a few observations, things that bothered me.

They drop down to the planet where they discover the space jockey base first time, a tad lucky perhaps.

So a Trillion dollar science mission to discover the origins of life take off their helmets 10 minutes into their first trip.
    They discover a headless dead body & black organic goo & nobody feels like putting back on their helmets, daft.

So what's in the jars, is it the seed to form life or is it there to destroy.
    There were a lot of jars for some reason. Both Holloway & the Space Jockey at the beginning were torn apart by the contents of the black goo after ingesting it.

What was with the statue of the head, it was too human like to be a Space Jockey, very Roman looking, no more clues though.

Vickers talks of a trillion dollar mission yet the guys bet in credits, euro didn't make it by the looks of it.

One minute the base is a terraforming station, the next it's a weapons factory, next week it'll be the set for Coronation Street.

The single remaining space jockey was not one for conversation, perhaps they are the worker bees of their people & not much for diplomacy.
    It was 2000 years since they were nearly all killed & we know from the murals the Xenomorph existed before this time frame.
    Whatever the black goo+Hooloway+Octopus+Space Jockey produced was not a full Xenomorph, just a mad genetic combination that got close.

The Space Jockey we are familiar with was not shown in this film, it's another being, on another ship, on a different planet, at a different time.

Despite all those reservation I really enjoyed it.
    I know all the story strands wont pull together in another prequel as it's Lindoff but it was interesting none the less.
    Replace in the surgical pod was a fantastic scene & Fassbender was class as always.
    I'd give it 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah i watched it last night.. i really really enjoyed it i must say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah i watched it last night.. i really really enjoyed it i must say

It's an enjoyable sci-fi romp it should be said. Nothing earth shattering in it and plenty of tropes are happily played out to their full extent but what the hell was the point of
    the "Alien" alien bursting out of the Engineer at the end? It felt really tacked on and unnecessary. Does it actually fit the mythos of that trilogy because I'm not up on the minute details of that, or was it just a cheap way to tie them together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Still waiting for the extended cut to be released till I rewatch it, should be out soon in HD too on the iTunes store (Sept 18th).

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/318

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

briany wrote: »
    It's an enjoyable sci-fi romp it should be said. Nothing earth shattering in it and plenty of tropes are happily played out to their full extent but what the hell was the point of
    the "Alien" alien bursting out of the Engineer at the end? It felt really tacked on and unnecessary. Does it actually fit the mythos of that trilogy because I'm not up on the minute details of that, or was it just a cheap way to tie them together?

cheap way to tie them together, the genesis of the proto-alien makes zero sense, like most of the movie so thematically it works :pac:

biggest disappointment of the year for me, looks amazing but was such a let down.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    cheap way to tie them together, the genesis of the proto-alien makes zero sense, like most of the movie so thematically it works :pac:

biggest disappointment of the year for me, looks amazing but was such a let down.

Well the trailer, which I realise now was creatively cut, looks good certainly. It makes the film look more bombastic than it is. Little did trusting people know that the main trailer shows flashes of an event that takes place towards the end of the film when the plot's mostly resolved.

Good film in a big budget 'slab o' sci-fi' type way but knee deep in well worn tropes which really kept it down. The two geologists trapped in the complex were a prime example.

briany wrote: »
    Well the trailer, which I realise now was creatively cut, looks good certainly. It makes the film look more bombastic than it is. Little did trusting people know that the main trailer shows flashes of an event that takes place towards the end of the film when the plot's mostly resolved.

Good film in a big budget 'slab o' sci-fi' type way but knee deep in well worn tropes which really kept it down. The two geologists trapped in the complex were a prime example.

"we've spent a trillion dollars on this expedition"

uh-huh, and havent told anyone on it what it is they're going to do, and hire the cast of a bad teenage slasher film as pioneering scientists. Biologist finds the greatest discovery ever, runs away because its a scary dead thing. riiight.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

krudler wrote: »
    Biologist finds the greatest discovery ever, runs away because its a scary dead thing. riiight.

Yet, gets all touchy feely with the living phallic snake/worm thing that appears from the goop. Well thought out stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Anyone with a US iTunes account, you can pre-order this for $15 for a HD copy, and gets a special early release on the 18th September. Wouldn't mind the fact it's DRM'd to the max, seeing it's high quality, early release for a good price - cheaper than a Blu Ray copy anyway. More films need releases like this, this side of the pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I liked this movie but damn did it have so many plot holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Entertaining but filled to the brim with plot holes.Unfortunately I had such a high hope for this movie...
    2/5

What is the story with editing ?Looked like this movie was cut here and there .

Utterly disappointed tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Jarren wrote: »
    Entertaining but filled to the brim with plot holes.Unfortunately I had such a high hope for this movie...
    2/5

Utterly disappointed tbh

Scarily I think it was fully intended that way. The pacing was horrendous..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jarren wrote: »

At least 3 crew members vanished from the movie with no explanation as to what happened to them.

I'm certain that Mutant Fifield's attack originally happened when they were bringing Weyland out to the ship:
    newprometheus57.jpg

Those 2 guys are shown shooting in the movie (minus the characters behind them) where the guy on the right was killed by Fifield with an axe to the back.

But when Weyland appears afterwards in the movie, the guy who was killed is standing at the door of his bedroom :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Prometheus: The Musical

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Must say I really enjoyed this movie. Watched it with mixed expectation but I thought it delivered.

If this is off-topic please delete but is there any similar movies to Prometheus (sci-fi/space/survivalist horror) that I have not seen and I may like? I've seen all Alien movies, Pandorum, Event Horizon, Sphere, The Abyss, Mission to Mars, Deep Impact, Red Planet, The Core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Try Silent Running, I would consider a classic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067756/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Sunshine, a Danny Boyle film which looks great and has a good cast.

Must say I really enjoyed this movie. Watched it with mixed expectation but I thought it delivered.

If this is off-topic please delete but is there any similar movies to Prometheus (sci-fi/space/survivalist horror) that I have not seen and I may like? I've seen all Alien movies, Pandorum, Event Horizon, Sphere, The Abyss, Mission to Mars, Deep Impact, Red Planet, The Core.

try Moon. not horror but well worth a watch.

There aren't many good scary films set in space. Most of the really good ones have already been mentioned.

Beyond what's already been mentioned, I can think of Pitch Black. That has gotten good reviews.

A great but slow film concerning a thing that comes from space is The Andromeda Strain.

Of course, there's always Galaxy of Terror as well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

While not set in space John Carpenters The Thing is a great survivalist/sci-fi horror.

For a movie that inspired both Alien and the style of Prometheus check out Mario Brava's Planet of the Vampires.

Play Dead Space :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just watched this .... meh... MEH! MEH I SAY! :P

Had high hopes for this movie. Heard good reviews. Its just not that good. Most of the movie is about teasing the viewer as we dont fully know whats going on ... then without little pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I enjoyed Prometheus more than The Dark Knight Rises at the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Actually just watched it there and enjoyed it, I could have done without the Alien origin stuff particulary the last scene, this all seemed tacked on just to keep the movie in the Alien universe. It reminded me a bit of Contact. Is there deffo a follow up? 8/10 for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Actually just watched it there and enjoyed it, I could have done without the Alien origin stuff particulary the last scene, this all seemed tacked on just to keep the movie in the Alien universe. It reminded me a bit of Contact. Is there deffo a follow up? 8/10 for me!

Just watched it myself tonight. It definitely seems to be screaming out for a sequel. Could be interesting having a woman piloting through space carrying an android's head in a handbag. Sex and the City meets Rogue-Trooper. Or Castaway in space with David in the role of Wilson. :)

As for this film, I was all geared up for it before release and after reading all the reviews decided to hold off. I was expecting it to be terrible so I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually not that bad.

Disheartening depiction of the scientific community of the future though:

Just because the air is perfect for human consumption in the room you're in doesn't mean that next area you walk into won't have a toxic odourless gas build up. Or that there won't be some hitherto unrecognised pathogen floating around.

For the love of God don't go try to tickle the space cobras, and don't act all surprised when they try to bite your hand off after they've displayed about 30 seconds of hissing and generally aggressive behaviour. If you're going to be a yellow-belly, at least stick to your guns when it would actually make sense.

Why use miraculous space lasers to intricatley cut a wound deep enough to allow access for a C-section, only to close said wound with builders-provider-grade staples?

Why does Guy Pearce look like one of the characters from Alien Nation (not James Caan). He's supposed to be really old, did his head just keep growing all that time? Did the make-up team encourage Pearce to grow an afro before sticking an ill-fitting shower cap over his noggin?

Advertisement