Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

willit wrote: »
    Can I ask, and also referring to Zubeneschamali's post and any other relating to the water and oxygen argument, are you all suggesting that the scene is flawed because without life on a planet there would be no water or oxygen? Do you actually believe that all of the water on earth came from the oxygen produced by early life mixing with hydrogen in the very hot atmosphere? And if so, you guys are saying that the engineers creating all life is a flawed concept because there was water and oxygen present in the opening scene so there must have been life to produce this?

That's a genuine question and I am baffled by it. Water on our planet is present due to collisions with comets, and other celestial bodies comprising of ice, and the early earth. It has nothing to do with oxygen produced by early life forms. Hopefully I've read those posts wrongly and people understand this basic fact.

The oxygen in the atmosphere came about as a result of early cynobacteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It has nothing to do with oxygen produced by early life forms.

What is the Engineer breathing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

What is the Engineer breathing?

They are thousands of explanations for that scene as we only have a snapshot of the story

For example
    Maybe there is a engineer terraforming plant out of sight pumping out oxygen
    etc etc

The scene is there to say that the engineers create life on planets.
    Any supposed plotholes can be explained away as above.

People should condemm the bad casting, script,some of the crew behaviour and dialouge rather than get pedantic about the science stuff which can all be explained one way or another with various explainations( with a few exceptions like when they took off their helmets)

IMO :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fysh wrote: »
    Only if your version of "sci-fi" means "any old crap goes, because we're dealing with magic, and we all know there are no rules to magic!"

Well no that isn't my contention at all. Considering though that a core element of the film explicitly revolves around an alien race of apparent world-builders, I don't think arguments on where the water came from, or what the Engineers were breathing should really come into a shopping-list of legitimate criticisms. It's not a question of simply dismissing all inconsistencies as "magic", or anything equally glib (which I didn't do anyway so hey-ho), but about squaring it against the context of what was happening elsewhere and saying "does it fit?" Which in my mind, it does. It's not neat by any means but not impossible either: the Engineers were gods in effect, their technology was distinctly biological in structure so I was happy fill in the ambiguities & inconsistencies with the idea that "The engineers did it". If you see that as delusions of magic, then that's your prerogative :)

I've watched enough spare-operas by now though; and if I can deal with the idea of noisy space battles & shooty lasers, I can deal with the idea that the water might have been put there by the Engineers ... somehow, rather than by any geological process. I won't hang the movie over it though. In fact, this is a movie set in a universe where world-building is already an established part of the mythologies - Weyland-Yutani are good at "Building Better Worlds" themselves :)
    [...]
    Or that anyone who's ever been employed in a role even tangentially related to scientific research would think that 10 seconds worth of data suggesting the air might be breathable is enough reason to just take your helmet off and expose yourself to whatever nasties may be present in the environment (not to mention exposing the local environment to the number of disgusting nasties on which we depend for our ongoing survival - eg digestive tract bacteria). Or you know, most of the complete bollocks passed off as science in the film.

Well here you've just shifted tack onto the charactisation, not the wobbly science; and on that score yeah, I think most people in this thread - even those like myself who enjoyed the film despite its faults - acknowledge that some of the characters behaved idiotically simply to further the plot. But then I've met my fair share of 'stupid' scientists, so maybe it tallies with reality ;)
    There's a difference between "not being bothered by bad science in a film" and "bad science not being present in a film", you know. Just because you personally don't find it bothering you doesn't mean it's somehow not bad storytelling.

I'm aware of the difference; as I said above, I think the context is key here in forgiving (for want of a better word) some of the geological inconsistencies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Its more than that, what they were breathing i.e. air and dying into water, was itself created by life. Early lifeforms produced oxygen, and it reacted with hydrogen in then then very hot atmosphere to produce water. The Engineer was past all that, so we don't really know what was up.

Pretty sure its was a combination of already present water(from comets) + tidal forces that created life not vice versa.
    Can I ask, and also referring to Zubeneschamali's post and any other relating to the water and oxygen argument, are you all suggesting that the scene is flawed because without life on a planet there would be no water or oxygen? Do you actually believe that all of the water on earth came from the oxygen produced by early life mixing with hydrogen in the very hot atmosphere? And if so, you guys are saying that the engineers creating all life is a flawed concept because there was water and oxygen present in the opening scene so there must have been life to produce this?

That's a genuine question and I am baffled by it. Water on our planet is present due to collisions with comets, and other celestial bodies comprising of ice, and the early earth. It has nothing to do with oxygen produced by early life forms. Hopefully I've read those posts wrongly and people understand this basic fact.

I'd have to read pages and pages back to be sure but I'm fairly sure this isn't a widely held belief in this thread. At least I hope it isn't.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Well no that isn't my contention at all. Considering though that a core element of the film explicitly revolves around an alien race of apparent world-builders, I don't think arguments on where the water came from, or what the Engineers were breathing should really come into a shopping-list of legitimate criticisms. It's not a question of simply dismissing all inconsistencies as "magic", or anything equally glib (which I didn't do anyway so hey-ho), but about squaring it against the context of what was happening elsewhere and saying "does it fit?" Which in my mind, it does. It's not neat by any means but not impossible either: the Engineers were gods in effect, their technology was distinctly biological in structure so I was happy fill in the ambiguities & inconsistencies with the idea that "The engineers did it". If you see that as delusions of magic, then that's your prerogative :)

When a film fails on as many levels as prometheus and generates a thread that reaches 2285 posts a certain level of pedantry is to be expected, as all the main flaws have already been hit on leaving us to pick at the bones so to speak . So understand, its not that we (or at least I) think these nit picks are the most outstanding issues in the film they are merely small parts of a whole as to why we think this film was such a disappointment.
    I've watched enough spare-operas by now though; and if I can deal with the idea of noisy space battles & shooty lasers, I can deal with the idea that the water might have been put there by the Engineers ... somehow, rather than by any geological process. I won't hang the movie over it though. In fact, this is a movie set in a universe where world-building is already an established part of the mythologies - Weyland-Yutani are good at "Building Better Worlds" themselves :)

You're willing to overlook those things as they were fun films that likely never claimed to be anything more then what they were 'a Space opera' so you had no reason to Look any deeper . Prometheus on the other hand aims to tackle the origin of the species and thus opens itself up to having the soundness of it's science questioned. look I'm more then willing to overlook Science faux pas if the story is compelling( Star wars sound in space ,Sunshines not 1 but 2 bombs the size of manhattan:rolleyes: etc ) but Prometheus story was a confusing mess so it gets a fail grade from me .

Well here you've just shifted tack onto the charactisation, not the wobbly science; and on that score yeah, I think most people in this thread - even those like myself who enjoyed the film despite its faults - acknowledge that some of the characters behaved idiotically simply to further the plot. But then I've met my fair share of 'stupid' scientists, so maybe it tallies with reality ;)

It kinda blows my mind how anyone could be so cognisant of the films flaws and still enjoy it , is it because its Ridley Scott ? would you be this lenient with any other director ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

2dh6K.jpg

Suggested addition

99lt6.jpg

Maybe there is a engineer terraforming plant out of sight pumping out oxygen

Maybe all the stupid stuff in the movie is explained by the fact that God did it all, and it's not our place to question things.

This actually works for every single dumb thing in every movie, so hurray! No more plot holes or bad writing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It kinda blows my mind how anyone could be so cognisant of the films flaws and still enjoy it , is it because its Ridley Scott ? would you be this lenient with any other director ?

I appreciated the movie's intention, if not entirely some of its execution. It had a scope, imagination & scale to it you just don't get in sci-fi these days; and as I said wayyyy back in the thread, the film had a similar heartbeat to the likes of Contact or Star Trek (one of the 'Enterprise discovers a godlike being' episodes) - that it was a film of big ideas.

Plus if I'm honest, I'm a very visual cinema-goer; I lap-up great set & production design & will happily pour over concept art & anything else related to the art of the movie. So for me Prometheus was from start to finish a visual treat; I was happily taking in every pixel. The dialogue? Tends to pass me by in those cases so tbh, it's apparent ropeyness didn't annoy me because it wasn't what I was taking from the film.

In any case, putting pedantry aside, 2290 posts and counting means it has easily left its mark on viewers, and precious few films can claim that.

I appreciated the movie's intention, if not its
    execution. It had a scope, imagination & scale to it you just don't get in sci-fi these days; and as I said wayyyy back in the thread, the film had a similar heartbeat to the likes of Contact or Star Trek (one of the 'Enterprise discovers a godlike being' episodes) - that it was a film of big ideas.

Plus if I'm honest, I'm a very visual cinema-goer; I lap-up great set & production design & will happily pour over concept art & anything else related to the art of the movie. So for me Prometheus was from start to finish a visual treat; I was happily taking in every pixel. The dialogue? Tends to pass me by in those cases so tbh, it's apparent ropeyness didn't annoy me because it wasn't what I was taking from the film.

Fair enough
    In any case, putting pedantry aside, 2290 posts and counting means it has easily left its mark on viewers, and precious few films can claim that.

Volume of posts does not a good film denote , I'm sure Phantom Menace had a high post count too, but if the majority of the posts are highly critical of the film how is that a good thing ? . If this thread was full of us all breaking down the themes and wildly theorizing I'd agree with you but it's not it's 2290 posts of how it all went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,980 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whats to say the Engineers hadn't just wiped out life on Earth and were just re-seeding it to start again. David kinda hinted at this at one point in the film, saying sometimes in order to create you first have to destroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

That's unbelievably shallow. You're basically saying that dialogue isn't important as long as the movie looks good?

Newaglish wrote: »
    That's unbelievably shallow. You're basically saying that dialogue isn't important as long as the movie looks good?
    Uh, no that's not what I'm saying at all, you've completely missed the point. Best to read it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I've heard it all now. How can appreciating movies more on a visual level be described as shallow? You're chastising somone for the way they process film. It's not like he has a choice. Ridiculous.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

CL7 wrote: »
    I've heard it all now. How can appreciating movies more on a visual level be described as shallow? You're chastising somone for the way they process film. It's not like he has a choice. Ridiculous.

No dude, its shallow to like films for their visual appeal. I don't know how pixelburp can live with themself tbh. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have no problem with the premise of the Engineers being responsible for a galactic panspermian agenda, or that they seeded the Earth in ways we don't know about.

What I have a problem with is stupid nonsense like "They're 100% identical to us genetically" when their biology is clearly demonstrated to be blatantly non-human (ranging from the simple "they look different, which requires at least minor deviations" to the rather more problematic "they appear to be wandering around and breathing in an environment where we're being given strong hints that there's no life and therefore no breathable atmosphere"). It's not that I think they can't use those ideas - it's just the way they used them in the film that irks me. Making it clear that the characters didn't understand the technology being used would've been a much better approach than trying to provide clever answers that actually turned out to be bloody silly :)

If you want to do "big questions" sci-fi, it's generally helpful to not get basic stuff wrong along the way...

Heh, I work in a research department with a bunch of scientists, several of whom have been silly in various ways. However, I reject the assertion that anyone could make any reputation for themselves as a research scientist while being so goddamn stupid as to be willing to take a few seconds worth of experimental data as enough reason to take their helmet off on an unexplored planet; not just because of the high risk of death but because of the blatand disregard for contamination of both their own body and the local environment. It wouldn't happen, and the reaction from the others is nowhere near forceful enough to suggest that any of them are actually competent research scientists, even though the dialogue tells us that they are.

Again, it could've easily been solved with a 30-second scene informing us (maybe through David talking to someone unspecified) that these are in fact a bunch of gobshyte mavericks just competent enough in their fields to be of use, but too undisciplined to have a successful career in academic research.
    I'm aware of the difference; as I said above, I think the context is key here in forgiving (for want of a better word) some of the geological inconsistencies

Sorry, that bit of my earlier post came across a lot more condescendingly than I'd intended :o I did enjoy watching the film, mostly on a visual scale - it was very impressive in that regard. It just disappoints me that Scott, who's previously helmed some pretty successful big-screen sci-fi with decent enough script, was happy to go along with the tripe-like dialogue and characterisation in this script.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Uh, no that's not what I'm saying at all, you've completely missed the point. Best to read it again.

Apologies if I misinterpreted, I understood your post to mean that a visually appealing movie doesn't need good dialogue. I guess I read it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

What I have a problem with is stupid nonsense like "They're 100% identical to us genetically" when their biology is clearly demonstrated to be blatantly non-human (ranging from the simple "they look different, which requires at least minor deviations" to the rather more problematic "they appear to be wandering around and breathing in an environment where we're being given strong hints that there's no life and therefore no breathable atmosphere"). It's not that I think they can't use those ideas - it's just the way they used them in the film that irks me.

I only saw the film today, though I could have missed something (will have to see it again) but they didn't say anywhere that the atmosphere couldn't support life. First of all life doesn't require the same atmosphere humans do and they said it had higher than normal carbon dioxide levels, and you would die in mins/seconds (as far as I remember that was the only negative they mentioned bar when the storm arrived). The space jockeys had masks on when in the arms depot and when flying the ship, I would assume these were some kind of breathing apparatus. The only time I remember the Engineers being exposed was when the last one ran from the ship to the lifeboat. The girl ran it in less than 2 minutes, so the vastly stronger being could have ran it in a safe time. The issue with that scene was her oxygen was down to zero when she got to the lifeboat but when she escaped that wasn't an issue (though she could have reloaded it off screen I suppose). As for looking different, would an asian body builder have different DNA to you? I did raise an eyebrow when they said it was 100% match in fairness.

I enjoyed it, the hype was well in truely dead by the time I saw it, so I don't feel as disappointed as others do. I look forward to the sequel if it comes. Hopefully a few scientist will be allowed read the script first though to make it more accurate and fill in some of the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,980 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^ No they're throwing a nerdrage about the alien at the start of the movie, on Earth, who is breathing the air. To which my reply is still that they were terraforming by that point. Hardly worth getting hung up about. I dont really think the dude would have been on the planet yet trying to seed life without air there to act as a catalyst.

As for the rest of it I could give a f*ck. Its worth mentioning now I got myself into a car accident trying to see this movie on launch night. T-boned someone when I rolled through a red light. All in all? I spent about a grand trying to see this fcuking movie. At this point, I really don't give a sh*t about continuity or factual errors. Still enjoyable 2 hour film, had a psycho robot, a tough motherf*cking ripley-style bitch, and a medpod that was only calibrated for men (WHY was it only calibrated for Men, and was owned by a woman, who knows, but it was highly amusing!) and some really neat nods to the original Alien movie so honestly I'm not down for all this nerdpicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I will be telling every girl I know who had a c-section to man the f up from now on, a couple of minutes later your one was able to run around with only a few mouthfuls of drugs, I know girls weeks later that still can't make a cup of tea themselves.........:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Overheal wrote: »
    ^ No they're throwing a nerdrage about the alien at the start of the movie, on Earth, who is breathing the air. To which my reply is still that they were terraforming by that point. Hardly worth getting hung up about. I dont really think the dude would have been on the planet yet trying to seed life without air there to act as a catalyst.

As for the rest of it I could give a f*ck. Its worth mentioning now I got myself into a car accident trying to see this movie on launch night. T-boned someone when I rolled through a red light. All in all? I spent about a grand trying to see this fcuking movie. At this point, I really don't give a sh*t about continuity or factual errors. Still enjoyable 2 hour film, had a psycho robot, a tough motherf*cking ripley-style bitch, and a medpod that was only calibrated for men (WHY was it only calibrated for Men, and was owned by a woman, who knows, but it was highly amusing!) and some really neat nods to the original Alien movie so honestly I'm not down for all this nerdpicking.

I get that each of us will have different perspectives on the film, and I did find it alright in a kind of friday night fluff sense (particularly 'cause it was very pretty) but, well, you being in a car accident on the way to see the film is absolutely irrelevant to whether the film has more plot holes than a colander.

If you don't want to see people justifiably taking the script to task over its many, many faults, then perhaps not reading the thread would be a better option than trying to pull some sort of "I'm more invested than you so STFU" card. I mean, yes, it's inventive, full marks for that, I just don't understand how it has any bearing on the film. Unless you're suggesting that going to see the film while concussed makes it better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Has anyone seen Species 2, its on Sky Movies at the moment, funny enough a lot of the story from that film is similar to what is in Prometheus.

You're right I think the air issue is small beans when stacked against the rest of the things this film gets wrong , I don't think you will get an argument from most people on that front (people will put up with all sorts of Sh**ty science if the film is compelling and characters interesting), that we are talking about it still is down to the fact that discussion of all the most egregious flaws have been played out ad naseum in this thread. You seem to be mistaking boredom for nerdraging.

There's also the fact that the Engineer holding his breath is the first scene, it sets the tone for the movie.

I find it hard to say how disappointing it is that Scott went with a "Space Jockey was just a blue human" chariots of the gods story. Lame in 1970, beyond clichéed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I seen it again yesterday, went with a group from work, they all thought it was ok but were like most people annoyed at all the loose ends and unanswered questions.

I did enjoy it a lot more the second time, even for all its failings.

2 things that stuck with me.
    -Are we 100% certain thats its the black goo at the start he drinks?
    -What was with the tomb underneath the Xenomorph on the ceiling that Holloway goes up beside, it had like a crystal sticking up out of it?

Watching again I think another big problem with it is that they go to and from the temple 3 times, it seems to upset the flow of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Just seen it tonight, all in all enjoyable and it did well to integrate into alien.

I believe I have the answer to your medpod question, I believe "vickers" was covering up the fact that this medpod was in fact for her father wayland

Good movie, I'm a fan but that's it a fan not a fanatic. You have to take the movie for it's faults and merits and enjoy it for what it is.

Looking forward to a sequel if there is one.

Sorry If spelling mistakes have arisen, iPhone for the lose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/20933571/0/Prometheus/ListingDetails.html

BluRay out on October 1st ....

but who the fúck wrote this bs review ?

One of the greatest sci-fi movies since Alien!
    beatstreet | 02/07/2012 | See all beatstreet's reviews (3)
    I watched this movie with some of my friends last week and we were all blown away by this epic masterpiece.In 3D it was an experience not soon to be forgotten.Probably by far the best sci-fi movie since the first Alien movie by Sir Ridley Scott.Buy it or experience it in 3D in a theatre near you!

someone from FOX I think ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Play.com exclusive:
    20933547_500x500_3.jpg20933547_500x500_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Quick question, is this out on dvd yet?? It's the oul lads birthday and he loves the alien films so i wanna pick this up for him if i can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Drum.lad

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Quick question, is this out on dvd yet?? It's the oul lads birthday and he loves the alien films so i wanna pick this up for him if i can.

Nope not yet Oct 1st.

Advertisement