Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Thats a good trailer, but I fear this movie will be as one of the leaked scripts has shown, it has the same feel as Indiana Jones IV - I read rumours on that before it was released and thought "No way they will release that tripe" - and they did.

edit - I like the way they mention Ridley Scott - director of BladeRunner and Gladiator ... and no mention of Alien :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Is that not the same trailer we had a few weeks ago (when we had the US and International versions?).

I really liked the full US version of the trailer, seemed more harsh and evil or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I see the premiere was in France last night - quite bizarre to see a film of this scale premiering a full month and a half before release, especially when it doesn't seem to be anything to do with a film festival.

And this is where I stop following pre-release gossip.
    It will go from idle speculation and debate to somone dropping a massive spoiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

:eek:SO was there a premiere or not?:confused:

WHAT DA F*** is HAPPENIN'?

Can't take it anymore...*Cut to massive cliff jump*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

FlashD wrote: »
    :eek:SO was there a premiere or not?:confused:

WHAT DA F*** is HAPPENIN'?

Can't take it anymore...*Cut to massive cliff jump*

Yes there was a premiere.

Hopefully you read this answer before plunging to your death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Guy Pearce seems to be pretty excited about it. :D

'E seems to go from Aussie to Yank accents every other g'day?!?!

:D

Guy Pearce seems to be pretty excited about it. :D

'E seems to go from Aussie to Yank accents every other g'day?!?!

:D

Will he be in the film or was that just a marketing vid for it ?

Actually watching alien the other night I see it's set in 2037 ....
    A bit too soon :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jcf wrote: »
    Will he be in the film or was that just a marketing vid for it ?

Actually watching alien the other night I see it's set in 2037 ....
    A bit too soon :rolleyes:

Alien took place 2122 afaik.

I don't think pearce will be a main character in the film or anything but I'm sure he'll make an appearance of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't think pearce will be a main character in the film or anything but I'm sure he'll make an appearance of some sort.
    AFAIK his character is long dead by the time Prometheus launches but according to reports Guy Pearse address the crew on board via a prerecorded hologram video congratulating them on their ground breaking mission. So I guess he will make a 5 minute 'cameo' appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭klose

Passed the local cinema today and theres a big prometheus poster facing out the window for it cant wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Raekwon wrote: »
    AFAIK his character is long dead by the time Prometheus launches but according to reports Guy Pearse address the crew on board via a prerecorded hologram video congratulating them on their ground breaking mission. So I guess he will make a 5 minute 'cameo' appearance

I'm just speculating obviously but I think he will play a bit of a larger role.
    The trailers have shown an older person in a wheelchair and then there's Theron's voiceover on the trailer "A King has his reign and then he dies, it's inevitable." If Weyland recorded a message in advance of the mission he obviously had prior knowledge of it, it's quite possible he may have had himself put into cryo and is on board.

I hope that's the case anyway as I think having him on board could set up an interesting theme with Fassbender's android, the creator and his creation, an android trying to discover his soul.

I hope this wont be released in 3D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

jcf wrote: »
    I hope this wont be released in 3D

Oh yea, what is your reason for hoping that?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

al28283 wrote: »

3D is sh1t and the movie doesnt need it?

Because if its set out to be made in 3d , action and effects will be the target rather then a good story

I'm glad it's in 3d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

krudler wrote: »
    3D is sh1t and the movie doesnt need it?

It's not a hatchet job though where the film is post converted, it was made in 3D like Avatar or whatever the fcuk the technical term is.

[QUOTE=Handsome Bob;78138155}it was made in 3D like Avatar or whatever the fcuk the technical term is.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Avatar was, for the most part, animation, no different than Toy Story 3. and much of the live action stuff was converted in post.

Sanctum is probably the best example of a movie shot in 3d, but all 3d movies have conversion as part of the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I see that you'll be a popular one around here.

I see that you'll be a popular one around here.

That's a very good point

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Avatar was, for the most part, animation, no different than Toy Story 3. and much of the live action stuff was converted in post.

Sanctum is probably the best example of a movie shot in 3d, but all 3d movies have conversion as part of the process.

Not technically animation when they use motion capture. the animals and such were animated I suppose but the Na'vi weren't.

I'll be avoiding the 3d for Prometheus like I try to do with most films. You lose a lot of brightness and colour with 3D and since Prometheus looks like it will be a pretty dark film I can't see the 3D being better than the 2D.

Besides after the first ten minutes my eyes adjust and I don't even notice the 3d anymore.

Yep 3D is a load of bollocks

Not technically animation when they use motion capture. the animals and such were animated I suppose but the Na'vi weren't.

I'll be avoiding the 3d for Prometheus like I try to do with most films. You lose a lot of brightness and colour with 3D and since Prometheus looks like it will be a pretty dark film I can't see the 3D being better than the 2D.

Well, even having used motion capture it is still considered animation but the point is that it is Cg rendered from a computer and not shot in camera.

As for the darkening of the image, if this happens it means you are at a ****ty cinema, talk to the projectionist, there is no reason for it to happen just as there is no reason for them to play the film with the volume too low

As for the darkening of the image, if this happens it means you are at a ****ty cinema, talk to the projectionist, there is no reason for it to happen just as there is no reason for them to play the film with the volume too low

No, its because you have to wear shades while watching the movie......

Yeessssss, the glasses cause a slight darkening of the image, less 1 f-stop.

That is why the movie is supposed to be shown slightly brighter than the 2d version so than the 3d version with glasses matche the 2d without, if they don't do this you're at a ****ty cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

al28283 is right, they are supposed to turn up the bulb power to compensate. But most don't.

But there's not "no reason" for it. They don't turn it up to save money. Turned up the bulb burns out quicker, costs more to run etc. I'm don't agree with them, then are paid to cover this, but thats the reason they don't bother with it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Mellor wrote: »
    al28283 is right, they are supposed to turn up the bulb power to compensate. But most don't.

But there's not "no reason" for it. They don't turn it up to save money. Turned up the bulb burns out quicker, costs more to run etc. I'm don't agree with them, then are paid to cover this, but thats the reason they don't bother with it.

I don't understand why 3D versions of movies aren't just graded brighter to compensate.
    Seems a no-brainer solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

This is the full Q and A Empire did with Scott, Theron, Fass and Rapace last week. Nothing spoilery and we know most of it already. Apologies if this has already been posted.

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1490

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Avatar in 3-d was meant to be a one-off cinematic experience. Simple as.
    It was a novelty upon release and worked brilliantly within the film.

After becoming the highest grossing movie ever, the suits in Hollywood come to the conclusion that 3-d is popular and in demand as opposed to the word of mouth generated by Avatar which consolidated it's high gross. Therefore all blockbusters should at least think about incorporating it as an after thought.

But, personally, I'd love to see what Scott would make of the 3-D. He's a visualist at heart and I'm sure sub par 3-D would not be tolerated by him and would be on a par with Avatar's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

New Prometheus Viral: Happy Birthday David

I don't want to be reported again for another stupid reason so please do not watch if
    you don't already know that David is an android

Advertisement