Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

al28283 wrote: »
    krudler wrote: »
    Fassbender looks a fair bit androidy in those pics

yea,
    he definately is, there is a viral video of him being unpacked at a factory

Theron is also looking like one too

Got a link to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

al28283 wrote: »
    krudler wrote: »
    Fassbender looks a fair bit androidy in those pics

yea,
    he definately is, there is a viral video of him being unpacked at a factory

Theron is also looking like one too

Got a link to it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKeQB9JTW_g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

on mobile so don't know if that link will appear properly

if link doesn't appear just Google "Prometheus David 8"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

No need for spoiler tags in regards to Fassbender's character
    being an android
    as it has pretty much been common knowledge since he was cast.

Watch this interview from 2:33

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

:rolleyes:

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And seeing as you have read the actual script you know this for a fact???
    Don't think so.
    I read that same article and his take on it seems pretty sharp.
    Lets wait and see,
    The last fan fic script that was "leaked" was pretty well flagged.
    And this script appears to be a 2nd draft from Damon Lindelof as well.

What makes you think it's fake?

99.9999% of scripts posted online are fake so assuming one is fake is the smart choice.

Scripts, even on movie sets, are not easy to come by, so somebody closely involved with the movie must have been the one to leak it. Even if it wasnt they would face a helluva lot of legal action if they did. They would be financially and professionally ruined, so it's rare.

And in the few cases where scipt details were actually leaked the studios stepped in amazingly quickly to stop the circulation of the script or, in some extreme cases, change the entire plot of the movie, as they did with Terminator salvation.

All in all, it's safe to say its fake

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

mikhail wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that the fans' official spokesman has turned up. We weren't sure where we'd left you after the election.

Theron has an Oscar. Even with the green-tinted goggles set aside Fassbender is a rising star (nominated for Baftas and Golden Globes, won best actor at Venice), a lead actor in blockbusters. Rapace just made her name with the Swedish Dragon Tattoo movies, Elba is a major TV star (and an excellent actor), Guy Pearse is a reputable character actor or lead with dozens of good movies behind him.

Let's compare that with the original Alien cast: Skerrit, Cartwright, Holm, all TV actors. Waver was a minor stage actress. Stanton a character actor. Hurt was a last-minute replacement after an illness. The only real star in the cast was Kotto, and he wasn't on a par with Theron or Fassbender in terms of name recognition (nor, in what I've seen of him, in ability).

TBF, the half of the cast look awful, everyone that isn't Pearce, Fassbender, Rapace and Elba, i.e. the American actors casted in it suck.

I fail to see what name recognition and star quality have to do with anything regarding Alien, the cast and acting was exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Orizio wrote: »

I fail to see what name recognition and star quality have to do with anything regarding Alien, the cast and acting was exceptional.

I fail to see what name recognition and star quality have to do with anything regarding Prometheus, the acting could be exceptional.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Lindelof himself has confirmed that the AICN script is fake. But it was pretty obvious anyway. A 79 page script, planet Zeus, etc.

Orizio wrote: »
    TBF, the half of the cast look awful, everyone that isn't Pearce, Fassbender, Rapace and Elba, i.e. the American actors casted in it suck.

Logan Marshall-Green & Patrick Wilson are the only American actors in it, the rest (apart from Theron & the ones that you mentioned) are mainly British actors plucked from the small screen. It's more then a decent cast IMO.

For comparison the cast of Aliens was hardly brilliant: Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, Lance Henriksen, Paul Reiser, Bill Paxon, etc but they pulled if off quite successfully.

I just hope Scott has nailed this and it can live up to the huge hype surrounding it. I doubt if it will be as good as Alien but if it comes close to Aliens then I'll be more then happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Raekwon wrote: »
    being an android

Watch this interview from 2:33

The majority of people who watch & enjoy movies do not see every single interview made by every actor involved, throughout the course of a movie being made and then marketed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Raekwon wrote: »
    being an android

Some of us don't read up on every bit of information and speculation about a film that's in production. I know nothing about this film except what little information I gathered from the teaser trailer. Now I know something that I didn't before.

Just be a bit considerate with spoiler tags when posting about a film that isn't out yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

To be fair, if you're sensitive about plot elements like that being spoiled, then surely it's best to avoid online discussion of the movie altogether? Threads like these always go over stuff with a fine tooth comb.

I didn't know Fassbender was a you know what either, but I can't see it ruining the movie for me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I get the impression that it will be made clear from the off that his
    character is an android
    in much the same way that Idris Elba's character
    is black
    :pac:

Ah no I jest, I see where you guys are coming from, I already know much more than I originally wanted to because of this thread, but thats through nobody's fault but my own for reading the thread in the first place :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mindkiller wrote: »
    To be fair, if you're sensitive about plot elements like that being spoiled, then surely it's best to avoid online discussion of the movie altogether? Threads like these always go over stuff with a fine tooth comb.

I didn't know Fassbender was a you know what either, but I can't see it ruining the movie for me.

Difficult when you get reported posts about spoilers, alas. Otherwise, I do tend to avoid or at most casually glance through these threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Spoiler tagging about a character been an android or not is a bit ott. Its just a basic role in the film same as saying another character plays a scientist, captain of the ship or the company person. If people don't want to know anything about the film then it makes more sense not to read about the film on the internet?

I just want to apologies for not putting spoiler tags in the post that was edited by a mod. I genuinely thought that anybody that was even remotely interested in this movie knew that
    Fassbender played an android
    . He along with other cast and crew members, openly talking openly about his role, so I just presumed that it was common knowledge at this stage. Plus the fact that he even has his own personal trailer kind of implies that Ridley Scott obviously wants people to know anyway, considering that he has people who read the script sworn to secrecy about most elements of this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Some of us don't read up on every bit of information and speculation about a film that's in production. I know nothing about this film except what little information I gathered from the teaser trailer. Now I know something that I didn't before.

Just be a bit considerate with spoiler tags when posting about a film that isn't out yet :)

Oh come on. If people are gonna be that sensitive to learning stuff about the film - why the hell are they reading this thread?

I'd love to see the stats on the percentage of people that reads threads, and highlight the spoiler tags.

Spoiler tags are in a way equivalent to a big red button that says 'Don't Push'

Folks, I was just responding to a reported post about said spoiler (hence why I added spoiler tags), although I do strongly agree with the sentiment that information about story or characters in yet to be released films is best tagged. That way, everyone is happy. Posters who want to go in 'blind' can ignore it in favour of the more general discussion occuring, while posters who enjoy the info and speculation can click it. I fully acknowledge tags can disrupt the flow of a thread, but it's the only real solution in threads about upcoming films.

Although I do agree clicking into threads such as this should be approached with great caution. Unfortunately, some of us have to deal with reports whether we like it or not :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

I was reading that this project orginally started as an Alien prequel, but now it is not an Alien prequel ?? ok so what is it then, the trailer clearly shows the ship and the space jockey ??

from imdb - Was originally intended as a prequel to Ridley Scott's Alien, but Scott decided to turn it into an original film with Noomi Rapace (who was already set to star in the prequel) still in the cast as one of five main characters. Some time later however it was confirmed that while the movie will take place in the same universe as Alien, and greatly reference that movie, it will, for the bigger part, be an original movie and not a direct prequel.

whats the difference between a direct prequel and one set before in teh same universe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This has been discussed to death at this stage. It's set in the same universe and precedes the events of Alien. If that's your definition of a prequel, then it's a prequel. However, it was written to be a standalone film with its own story and mythology.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

jcf wrote: »
    whats the difference between a direct prequel and one set before in teh same universe?

The Weyland company (not Weyland-Yutani since they haven't combined yet) exist in this movie and a Space Jockey similiar to the one in Alien are in this movie.

That's it, really. Anything else like a Xenomorph won't exist but there'll simply be nods towards Alien and not be integral to this movie. It won't be an Alien movie but will exist in the same universe as it'll very few elements tying them together.

Duggy - we've more or less established that was all BS to throw us off the scent. This will be a fully fledged Alien movie. There's a chest burster in the clips ffs.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Duggy - we've more or less established that was all BS to throw us off the scent. This will be a fully fledged Alien movie. There's a chest burster in the clips ffs.

It definitely looked like a chest burster alright, but i'm not entirely convinced it was.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It definitely looked like a chest burster alright, but i'm not entirely convinced it was.

Looked more like an early version of one

Looked more like an early version of one

Yea, I'm thinking it won't be quite the xenomorph we're familiar with.

Yea, I'm thinking it won't be quite the xenomorph we're familiar with.

Aye.

Some footage description here. Doesn't really give too much away, just some earlier parts of the film

I think after the early comments that this would not really be an 'Alien' film, people want to convince themselves that its not.

Some people maybe think that having the added extra complexity to the back story somehow makes it more clever or something.

Fact is, if Prometheus is NOT an Alien film, it would end up being a massive failure.

People want an Alien film, and everything that goes with it. That means Aliens!

Sure, it may well be a different timeline, not have any direct relationship with the original(s) - but make no mistake, this is / will be an Alien film 100%.

Duggy - we've more or less established that was all BS to throw us off the scent.
    No, that hasn't been established - at all.

Okay, there might be a chestburster in the film. So what? It's set in the same universe and Lindelof has suggested that Alien fans will get their "encore". That means we may get some facehugger/chestburster action. That doesn't mean that they are lying about the film not being another Alien film. They are trying to do something different here and for them that's enough to be able to say this isn't an Alien prequel.

If this was a "fully fledged Alien film" then you would expect it to be about the same thing the other films were about: facehuggers, chestbursters and xenomorphs. That's what people would expect from an Alien film. They haven't called the film Alien because that's obviously not what the film is about.

• Advertisement

No, that hasn't been established - at all.

Okay, there might be a chestburster in the film. So what? It's set in the same universe and Lindelof has suggested that Alien fans will get their "encore". That means we may get some facehugger/chestburster action. That doesn't mean that they are lying about the film not being another Alien film. They are trying to do something different here and for them that's enough to be able to say this isn't an Alien prequel.

If this was a "fully fledged Alien film" then you would expect it to be about the same thing the other films were about: facehuggers, chestbursters and xenomorphs. That's what people would expect from an Alien film. They haven't called the film Alien because that's obviously not what the film is about.

Ok, you stick with your conspiracy theories!

So its set in the same universe, with the same elements (Weyland / humans / SpaceJockeys + ship / Xenomorphs) - but its not an Alien film...

Personally, I don't think Scott is that clever, or stupid.

Its going to give us an introduction to the Xeno's, and provide a bit of a genesis story for them. Just because every second scene may not involve one, doesn't mean the premise of the film does not focus on their creation etc

Advertisement