Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Avatar in 3-d was meant to be a one-off cinematic experience. Simple as.
    It was a novelty upon release and worked brilliantly within the film.

No it wasn't. This is not true at all. Cameron put in a huge amount of time, money and effort developing new cameras and new technology.
    He also spent a great deal of time selling 3D as the next big thing, and encouraging studios, filmmakers and cinemas across the world to start working in 3d long before Avatar was released.

No studio would have invested in it had it been meant as a one off novelty and cinemas would not have invested huge amounts of money in upgrading their systems to show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's not a hatchet job though where the film is post converted, it was made in 3D like Avatar or whatever the fcuk the technical term is.

Prometheus? first I heard it was shot in 3D

krudler wrote: »
    Prometheus? first I heard it was shot in 3D

It was shot in 3d but some of it will be converted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

It was shot entirely in 3D with a RED PRO 5.0 3D camera on an Element Technica ATOM 3D rig.

ridley-scott-3d-not-brain-surgery-1.jpg?20120410-162245

Nothing in shot entirely in 3d, there is always some conversion done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

al28283 wrote: »
    No it wasn't. This is not true at all. Cameron put in a huge amount of time, money and effort developing new cameras and new technology.
    He also spent a great deal of time selling 3D as the next big thing, and encouraging studios, filmmakers and cinemas across the world to start working in 3d long before Avatar was released.

No studio would have invested in it had it been meant as a one off novelty and cinemas would not have invested huge amounts of money in upgrading their systems to show it.

All I can deduce is,

Pre-Avatar - no 3-D movies.
    Post-Avatar's record gross - a glut of crappy 3-D films (some retro-fitted)
    Case in point; Titanic's re-release. Most people have seen it, some have seen it a lot. Why pay a tenner to see it again when I have it at home? It needed the 3-d gimmick to arouse an interest.

I think Cameron et al have been pushing for digital (shooting and displaying movies) as opposed to 3-d. A movie about the holocaust in 3-d? That'll sell well. :pac:

The future is digital, not 3-d.

All I can deduce is,

Pre-Avatar - no 3-D movies.
    Post-Avatar's record gross - a glut of crappy 3-D films (some retro-fitted)

I think Cameron et al have been pushing for digital as opposed to 3-d.
    The future is digital, not 3-d.

but there were quite a few 3d movies before Avatar :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

but there were quite a few 3d movies before Avatar :confused:

Last one i can recall was Jaws 3-D, another one-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Monster House
    Spy Kids 3D
    Polar Express
    Superman Returns
    Monsters Vs Aliens
    Up

all out before Avatar, it wasnt as widespread as it is now but they were being made.

I genuinely had no idea Prometheus was going to be 3D, the hell with that, I'll be going to the 2D one.

:eek:Jaws 3d was in 1983.

There have been alot of 3d movies between then and Avatar.

Harry Potter 5 and Superman Returns had 3d Sequences, A Xmas Carol Coraline, Nightmare before Xmas, Final Destination, Monster House, the shark boy and lava girl movies, Journey to the Centre of the Earth were all well before Avatar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,055 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_films

There were a load of movies in 3d before Avatar. Not sure if all the ones on that list use the new tech, but I know a good number of them do. I certainly saw Nightmare Before Christmas, Coraline, Beowulf, Bolt, Up etc in 3d before Avatar was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

Raekwon wrote: »
    New Prometheus Viral: Happy Birthday David

I don't want to be reported again for another stupid reason so please do not watch if
    you don't already know that David is an android

Anyone else think he's the spit of David Bowie in this?

Also here's a poster that was released alongside the viral

prometheus-david-wsj-ad-600.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Fassbender said his performance was partially inspired by David Bowie in The Man Who Fell To Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

There were a load of movies in 3d before Avatar.

The earliest one I remember seeing in cinemas with proper colour and polarized glasses was Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone from 1983.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

New Prometheus Viral: Happy Birthday David

I don't want to be reported again for another stupid reason so please do not watch if
    you don't already know that David is an android

Eh, I reckon you're ok now if they're releasing huge PR posters of Michael Fassbender where it explicitly says he's a robot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

prometheus-david-wsj-ad-600.jpg

Wait a minute, Fassbender is a blonde android named David? Prometheus isn't an Alien prequel/side story, its a sequel to "A.I. Artificial Intelligence".
    AI%2BArtificial%2BIntelligence.jpg
    Someone go back and look at the trailers, I bet you can see the teddy in the background.:pac:

Wait a minute, Fassbender is a blonde android named David? Prometheus isn't an Alien prequel/side story, its a sequel to "A.I. Artificial Intelligence".
    AI%2BArtificial%2BIntelligence.jpg
    Someone go back and look at the trailers, I bet you can see the teddy in the background.:pac:

Mind = Blown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Well, I can officially say that Fassbender plays creepy robots well.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Eh, I reckon you're ok now if they're releasing huge PR posters of Michael Fassbender where it explicitly says he's a robot. :)

Nice one. Just making sure because a week ago I was reported and my post was edited for something that everybody outside of communist states knew about. Btw I take back the apology I made ;)

Nothing in shot entirely in 3d, there is always some conversion done

Scott himself told reports at Comic Con 2012 that this movie was shot entirely in 3D and that he would never shoot in any other format again
    "I will never be the same again. Even with a dialogue scene, the arena in the room grows. There is no question that you can be drawn in further by the feeling that you are there,"

• Advertisement

Scott himself told reports at Comic Con 2012 that this movie was shot entirely in 3D and that he would never shoot in any other format again

Hmmmm, as a stereo compositor I highly doubt it as it would be the first movie ever to be shot entirely in 3d and that would be a very big deal.

If it is I would expect i'd have heard how they managed it as it is not technically possible right now, due to the limitations of the technology.

Then there's any 2d vfx such as matte paintings and any 2d elements. Fully CG elements can be rendered easily in stereo but not anything which originates as 2d needs to be given depth manually in post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Hmmmm, as a stereo compositor I highly doubt it as it would be the first movie ever to be shot entirely in 3d and that would be a very big deal.

If it is I would expect i'd have heard how they managed it as it is not technically possible right now, due to the limitations of the technology.

Then there's any 2d vfx such as matte paintings and any 2d elements. Fully CG elements can be rendered easily in stereo but not anything which originates as 2d needs to be given depth manually in post.
    Matte paintings are almost always background. That's not usually 'popped' by the 3D anyway. (At least, it shouldn't be - human stereo vision isn't supposed to work at long range, so I imagine it'd look wrong somehow.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Nice one. Just making sure because a week ago I was reported and my post was edited for something that everybody outside of communist states knew about. Btw I take back the apology I made ;)

Sure isn't it common knowledge that Fassbender is an android, what's the big swing? That poster makes him look a "bit twitchy".

FlashD wrote: »
    Sure isn't it common knowledge that Fassbender is an android, what's the big swing? That poster makes him look a "bit twitchy".

Yeah I thought so too but obviously I was mistaken as my original post was edited after a 'complaint' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't think we need to be so anal about it.
    When people say it was shot in 3D, they mean it was shot in stereo. As opposed to shot in 2D.

There's always goign to be post processing, for 3D, and 2D.

Some new stills

entry_01_02.jpg

entry_01_03.jpg

entry_03_02.jpg

entry_04_01.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Some good desktop background fodder there!

Had to double take at the first one, thought that was the Death Star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Charlize Theron is an android too, right? She looks a bit androidish.

2 for the price of 1.

Double the trouble.

"bit twitchy" x2

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Fassbender sounds like Harry Enfield's "Doctor Phillip" character

Or is that just me?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Roar wrote: »
    Fassbender sounds like Harry Enfield's "Doctor Phillip" character

Or is that just me?

:D .. heh funny, but maybe it is just you :P

Back to things Alien, can anyone recommend good fan fiction? or fiction set in the Alien Universe - NOT involving Predators tho :D

Advertisement