Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

pixelburp wrote: »
    The comment Scott made was that the film had the same 'DNA' as the Alien movies; which I thought was an interesting turn of phrase & use of language to begin with; but only recently Idris Elba (one of the stars in the movie) also made the same remark, commenting on similar 'DNA'. The internet conspiracy-theorist in me can't help but think there's a relevance to this wording, and that it's a deliberate wink & nod from the two men.

My own personal theory is that the film will chart its own course, be a standalone story in its own right, but will have enough callbacks & nods with the Alien franchise that those of us who can see the links will draw the obvious conclusions & link up the films in our minds. Which to me is a far more interesting & creative solution than having chestburster appear in the final scene, or something equally clunky.

I mean it's obvious there's something Alien-related just going by the visuals we see in the trailer - it's simply beyond question at this point -it's just a matter of the format and the presentation.

The're are scenes in the trailer and in pictures officially released that are screaming H.R. Giger. I'm really hoping it's a mature turn for the "franchise" as much as I hate that word.

Those Alien/Predator films were pants. I'm not saying the crossover couldn't work but "The Strausse Brothers" travesty insulted me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Spoonman75 wrote: »
    The're are scenes in the trailer and in pictures officially released that are screaming H.R. Giger. I'm really hoping it's a mature turn for the "franchise" as much as I hate that word.

Those Alien/Predator films were pants. I'm not saying the crossover couldn't work but "The Strausse Brothers" travesty insulted me.

They like to be called The Brothers Strausse :rolleyes:

al28283 wrote: »
    They like to be called The Brothers Strausse :rolleyes:

Argh! You're right. I stand corrected.

These guys are trying to sound pretentious and failing miserably.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Argh, could we please not mention that movie in this thread? God I had happily forgotten it ever existed, or that I had ever seen it. *feels dirty now*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Argh! You're right. I stand corrected.

These guys are trying to sound pretentious and failing miserably.

They aren't trying to sound pretentious, they do sound pretentious! They really call themselves the Brothers Strause...wow. I find that cringeworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Slightly unrelated but it seems that EVERY trailer now uses the exact same style these days: quiet bit.....HONK....quiet bit.....HONK...quiet bit...HONK. Did this start with Inception or does it go back further and I just never noticed?

Yeah, the new Bourne movie trailer has this crap in it too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

jcf wrote: »
    Yeah, the new Bourne movie trailer has this crap in it too ...

I had seen the Prometheus trailer as a direct reference to the original Alien trailer, which goes like this:

Some similar sound effects, exactly the same text effect, no dialogue, quiet LOUD quiet LOUD LOUD quiet... etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Just finished watching Alien again for the first time in a couple of years.There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that its the same planet in Alien as in Prometheus.

@ 52 seconds in the Alien trailer we see the "horse shoe" like structure on its side that in the Prometheus trailer is at first upright then seen rolling towards one of the actors.It features quite heavily in Alien visually and is where they discover the eggs,or at least thats how it appears.

The space jockeys thing is interesting.In Alien they find one in the egg chamber and comment on how it is fossilised which would lead me to believe that it was an organic creature rather than just a transport unit.They also comment that something had burst from inside it through its ribs,based on its size (the scale of the humans against it in Alien is at least 10 : 1 size wise) it got me thinking that it was carrying a queen alien and after it was hatched it set about laying the eggs that the Nostromo crew find.

Of course the above is just random speculation from myself but suffice to say,I have not been as excited about a movie release in literally years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Just finished watching Alien again for the first time in a couple of years.There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that its the same planet in Alien as in Prometheus.

@ 52 seconds in the Alien trailer we see the "horse shoe" like structure on its side that in the Prometheus trailer is at first upright then seen rolling towards one of the actors.It features quite heavily in Alien visually and is where they discover the eggs,or at least thats how it appears.

The space jockeys thing is interesting.In Alien they find one in the egg chamber and comment on how it is fossilised which would lead me to believe that it was an organic creature rather than just a transport unit.They also comment that something had burst from inside it through its ribs,based on its size (the scale of the humans against it in Alien is at least 10 : 1 size wise) it got me thinking that it was carrying a queen alien and after it was hatched it set about laying the eggs that the Nostromo crew find.

Of course the above is just random speculation from myself but suffice to say,I have not been as excited about a movie release in literally years.

Yea it's the same type of ship but that doesn't mean it is the same planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

al28283 wrote: »
    Yea it's the same type of ship but that doesn't mean it is the same planet

Whats convincing me is that the horse shoe thingy is rolling in the Prometheus trailer so will likely end up on its side as it is in Alien.

Could be a case of 2 + 2 = 5 of course.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All the evidence points to it being the same planet and ship, so it probably is. And if it isn't then it almost certainly was originally intended to be. The script went from being an Alien prequel when Spaihts was writing it to being a non-prequel set in same universe when Lindelof came on board. Lindelof didn't throw out the Spaihts script, he just re-wrote it. I suspect it was a pretty substantial re-write given that Lindelof got a full co-writer credit, but this is Scott we're talking about. Russell Crowe's character in Robin Hood was originally supposed to be Nottingham. When you look at the finished film you can see that they basically did a Find and Replace on the script and tacked on a few extra scenes to make him Robin Hood.

Here's a link to Guy Pearce's possible role in Prometheus. This is not confirmed as fact but Ridley Scott gives more details about his role and the connection between the Alien "Universe" and Prometheus.
    Possible spoiler if true.

http://io9.com/5888385/ridley-scott-may-have-explained-the-connection-between-alien-and-prometheus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have trouble believing that report: I mean if it's a real interview then Scott is asking us to completely discount the glut of visual evidence from the very trailer itself. The links are right there, why is Scott now saying that the Giger ship & Space Jockey chair are unrelated, and there's only a passing nod to the Alien films? Interesting too that this is from a Hungarian source - I'm wondering if there's a translation issue going on here...

I have trouble believing that report: I mean if it's a real interview then Scott is asking us to completely discount the glut of visual evidence from the very trailer itself. The links are right there, why is Scott now saying that the Giger ship & Space Jockey chair are unrelated, and there's only a passing nod to the Alien films? Interesting too that this is from a Hungarian source - I'm wondering if there's a translation issue going on here...

I've just checked the imdb article on Prometheus and Guy Pearce's character is not the same as the Hungarian source. How accurate is imdb?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've just checked the imdb article on Prometheus and Guy Pearce's character is not the same as the Hungarian source. How accurate is imdb?

It's basically a rumour mill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone can submit information to IMDb. It has to be approved first, but I've seen them approve some pretty silly sh*t. Anything you see about upcoming films is especially unreliable.

Viral video with Guy Pierce that confirms who is playing. Pretty cool.

http://blog.ted.com/TED2023/

Viral video with Guy Pierce that confirms who is playing. Pretty cool.

http://blog.ted.com/TED2023/[/QUOTE]

Interesting.
    Possible spoiler about a certain character in the film:
    It reveals nothing of the plot but he does seem like an arrogant slimeball all the same.

Well there's the final piece of proof then; if Pearce's name wasn't an obvious clue, then the logo at the end of that viral pretty much confirms the link with the Alien universe. Really don't see the point in remaining coy about the movie at this stage: maybe the studio simply think the Alien brand is poison after the AvP films & want to keep things distant for now...

Good video all the same; not sure about us having replicants by 2023 mind you ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Good video all the same; not sure about us having replicants by 2023 mind you ...

Maybe they already exist but the public don't know it yet

***moved to conspiracy theories***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well there's the final piece of proof then; if Pearce's name wasn't an obvious clue, then the logo at the end of that viral pretty much confirms the link with the Alien universe. Really don't see the point in remaining coy about the movie at this stage:

Proof?
    Its never been a secret. They confirmed all along that it takes place in the Aliens Universe. The Space Jockey was mentions repeatedly.
    They just were clear to distance it from the xenomorphs, chestbursters, facehuggers etc and the expectation that goes with that. It's a different, earlier mythology altogether.

Mellor wrote: »
    Proof?
    Its never been a secret. They confirmed all along that it takes place in the Aliens Universe. The Space Jockey was mentions repeatedly.
    They just were clear to distance it from the xenomorphs, chestbursters, facehuggers etc and the expectation that goes with that. It's a different, earlier mythology altogether.
    Dunno what interviews you're thinking of, but from the very get-go, Scott and co. have been coy about revealing just how or if Prometheus was related to the Alien universe. Before the first trailer hit, nobody knew for certain, and even after it aired the production team have refused to be drawn. They tended to talk about the new film having a similar 'DNA' and that was about it.

I think when the film was first announced in January or thereabouts last year there was initially a lot of ambiguity about whether it was set in same universe as Alien. But by the summer both Scott and Lindelof had clarified that it was indeed set in the same universe. The DNA comments mostly referred to how the film connected with the '79 film or more specifically the xenomorph.

Dunno what interviews you're thinking of, but from the very get-go, Scott and co. have been coy about revealing just how or if Prometheus was related to the Alien universe. Before the first trailer hit, nobody knew for certain, and even after it aired the production team have refused to be drawn. They tended to talk about the new film having a similar 'DNA' and that was about it.
    can't get links via I'm on my phone but from the top of my head.
    The original script was a direct Alien prequel. The current script was a new story but a rewrite not a whole new script.

Scott spoke about the space jockeys a few times. Saying that the space jockey origin story was what he thought was most interesting. That would have to be the same universe.

I think Lindelof specifically said it was same universe as the alien films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Alittle disappointed in the PG-13 rating being mentioned. Hopefully the R rating gets released on BD.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

So much time...so much publicity...

Unlike ALIEN which came out at a time when audiences
    least expected it.

And then ALIENS.

If it's a Summer Number then I'm on a downer as it ain't
    gonna get into the big franchises for the number audiences...

Sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

June seems so fcking far away D: love that TED talk trailer!!!!

Mellor wrote: »
    can't get links via I'm on my phone but from the top of my head.
    The original script was a direct Alien prequel. The current script was a new story but a rewrite not a whole new script.

Scott spoke about the space jockeys a few times. Saying that the space jockey origin story was what he thought was most interesting. That would have to be the same universe.

I think Lindelof specifically said it was same universe as the alien films.

I should point out that I'm not denying that the film's set in the Alien universe - it clearly is. I just find it weird - considering Hollywood's obsession with sequels - reboots etc, that it has never been the official line from all and sundry. Even the press releases have avoided any reference. Ultimately it doesn't matter because the evidence is there, it's just odd there's been quiet reluctance to go "yes, this is the same universe, it's all related".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

it's just odd there's been quiet reluctance to go "yes, this is the same universe, it's all related".

The studio probably think more people will show up for "A New Ridley Scott SF Movie" than "Yet Another Alien Movie That Should Never Have Been Made."

• Advertisement

I'd say it more so Scott and all being clear that it's not about the xenomorphs.
    Once they decided not to shoehorn the xenomorphs in. It was wise to establish that it's a new mythology, to avoid a backlash.

Advertisement