Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

International trailer released.Recognise that gun chair?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I much prefer the international trailer without the fading-in title obscuring the images.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Still no word on what rating they're going to aim for? In general, how long before a release would you expect to see this?

Unfortunately, I feel a PG-13 is going to kill any desire I have to see this straight away. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, not yet. Scott said he was doing a PG-13 and an R-rated version. The final decision will be made by the studio. Dragon Tattoo's box office numbers were somewhat disappointing, so I'd say it will almost certainly be PG-13. The budget is too large for the studio to risk an R-rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

No, not yet. Scott said he was doing a PG-13 and an R-rated version. The final decision will be made by the studio. Dragon Tattoo's box office numbers were somewhat disappointing, so I'd say it will almost certainly be PG-13. The budget is too large for the studio to risk an R-rating.

I'm surprised and a bit deflated to hear that they can chop and change between a PG-13 and an R so easily. Would have thought they'd need to know what they're making and the tone they're going for well before they begin. "Insert gore here -->" and "remove profanity there -->" just seems like an unassertive, aimless and fudgey way of doing things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

I've seen this correlation to Dragon Tattoo mentioned before alright. Its so disappointing though, considering I really enjoyed the refreshing matureness (for want of a better word) of that film.

As said, I find it hard to imagine a PG-13 film being able to capture the tension and chills of Alien, or obviously the action / violence of Aliens.

Goldstein wrote: »
    I'm surprised and a bit deflated to hear that they can chop and change between a PG-13 and an R so easily. Would have thought they'd need to know what they're making and the tone they're going for well before they begin. "Insert gore here -->" and "remove profanity there -->" just seems like an unassertive, aimless and fudgey way of doing things.
    Yeah and usually when the director is under pressure for time the R-rated version of the scene will fall by the wayside. However, I'm pretty sure Scott is as keen as we are that this be R-rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

To be fair though, Scott has shown previously that he can lack backbone in fighting for the rating or cut that he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

To be fair though, Scott has shown previously that he can lack backbone in fighting for the rating or cut that he wants.

A three-and-a-half hour cut of Kingdom of Heaven would have never been sanctioned for cinema release by any major studio and the Blade Runner situation was entirely down to the independent and asinine financier having final cut.

No major studio would risk a $200-ish million budget on an R-rated film. Scott initially wanted a $250 million budget and an R-rating, but he's in the game long enough to know that'd never happen and probably did so as a bargaining position and as something to use as a fire blanket with fans. If you want an R-rated version just wait for the home release - the cinema release is far from the be all and end today, indeed it's rarely even the best overall experience you can have with a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SK1979 wrote: »
    I've seen this correlation to Dragon Tattoo mentioned before alright. Its so disappointing though, considering I really enjoyed the refreshing matureness (for want of a better word) of that film.

As said, I find it hard to imagine a PG-13 film being able to capture the tension and chills of Alien, or obviously the action / violence of Aliens.

if you cut the chestburster scene Alien could easily get a pg13 rating these days, its all atmosphere and barely any gore,which is what I hope Prometheus will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

amazing trailer. instant want. the fact that it feels like it revealed alot but still made me wanna see it reminded me of Avatar's trailer. boy these old directors really know how to make a good trailer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

seraphimvc wrote: »
    amazing trailer. instant want. the fact that it feels like it revealed alot but still made me wanna see it reminded me of Avatar's trailer. boy these old directors really know how to make a good trailer.

I actually agree with you, but I don't think the directors are responsible for trailers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I saw the trailer on the big screen at the weekend. EXCITE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I'm getting a real bad feeling about the CGI heavy action scene involving the astronauts evading the falling space craft, feels massively un-Alien to me (well perhaps Resurrection...)

I presume this is LV-426 and it isn't an entirely different ship and planet? So we are definitely going to see some chest bursting action? The whole thing is giving me Lost vibes with the tale of The Blackrock and how the statue was destroyed. Lindelhoff already f*uked up his own legacy so I hope he has done Alien more justice. Some of the quieter sci-fi scenes look good though and hopefully it will be more of a slow burner.

Slightly unrelated but it seems that EVERY trailer now uses the exact same style these days: quiet bit.....HONK....quiet bit.....HONK...quiet bit...HONK. Did this start with Inception or does it go back further and I just never noticed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I'm getting a real bad feeling about the CGI heavy action scene involving the astronauts evading the falling space craft, feels massively un-Alien to me (well perhaps Resurrection...)

I presume this is LV-426 and it isn't an entirely different ship and planet? So we are definitely going to see some chest bursting action? The whole thing is giving me Lost vibes with the tale of The Blackrock and how the statue was destroyed. Lindelhoff already f*uked up his own legacy so I hope he has done Alien more justice. Some of the quieter sci-fi scenes look good though and hopefully it will be more of a slow burner.

Slightly unrelated but it seems that EVERY trailer now uses the exact same style these days: quiet bit.....HONK....quiet bit.....HONK...quiet bit...HONK. Did this start with Inception or does it go back further and I just never noticed?

Without the xenomorphs i'd doubt there'd be much chestbursting going on. Not even sure if it is LV426

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

no no the new trailer thing is an opening shot of a cityscape, I went to see haywire (shudder) and the trailers before it were the dark knight rises, spiderman, man on a ledge and the avengers, every one of them begins with an aerial panning shot of a city, its the new "in a world"

al28283 wrote: »
    Without the xenomorphs i'd doubt there'd be much chestbursting going on. Not even sure if it is LV426
    Have we been told there are no xenomorphs? They have been very coy about this and I imagine they will make an appearance. When asked about the aliens the actors say things along the lines of "no comment" or "I've been sworn to secrecy". Pretty much the same as yes. It's also the same design of ship as the one that crashed on LV426, in the trailer there is an explosion in the ship at the same area there is a massive whole in the side of the wreckage in Alien. It crashes down on its side, on a landscape not all that different to LV426. I'm sticking my neck out and saying it is definitely the story of how that ship got there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Have we been told there are no xenomorphs? They have been very coy about this and I imagine they will make an appearance. When asked about the aliens the actors say things along the lines of "no comment" or "I've been sworn to secrecy". Pretty much the same as yes. It's also the same design of ship as the one that crashed on LV426, in the trailer there is an explosion in the ship at the same area there is a massive whole in the side of the wreckage in Alien. It crashes down on its side, on a landscape not all that different to LV426. I'm sticking my neck out and saying it is definitely the story of how that ship got there.

Yea, I'm pretty sure he said there won't be aliens in it from very early on.

al28283 wrote: »
    Yea, I'm pretty sure he said there won't be aliens in it from very early on.
    Yeah I remember Scott saying as much but I can't help but think he was simply lying. That feeling has been reinforced by the trailer as it seems to me that is the same ship so not touching on the xenomorph would be odd. Don't really mind one way or another, just want a good film in the end and I guess we'll find out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

First time I really noticed it was Revenge of the Fallen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I remember Scott saying as much but I can't help but think he was simply lying. That feeling has been reinforced by the trailer as it seems to me that is the same ship so not touching on the xenomorph would be odd. Don't really mind one way or another, just want a good film in the end and I guess we'll find out soon.
    The comment Scott made was that the film had the same 'DNA' as the Alien movies; which I thought was an interesting turn of phrase & use of language to begin with; but only recently Idris Elba (one of the stars in the movie) also made the same remark, commenting on similar 'DNA'. The internet conspiracy-theorist in me can't help but think there's a relevance to this wording, and that it's a deliberate wink & nod from the two men.

My own personal theory is that the film will chart its own course, be a standalone story in its own right, but will have enough callbacks & nods with the Alien franchise that those of us who can see the links will draw the obvious conclusions & link up the films in our minds. Which to me is a far more interesting & creative solution than having chestburster appear in the final scene, or something equally clunky.

I mean it's obvious there's something Alien-related just going by the visuals we see in the trailer - it's simply beyond question at this point -it's just a matter of the format and the presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Am I the only one who hopes there aren't any xenomorphs in this? They've been flogged to death long ago. I'm looking forward to this film fronting up on its own merit and branching out with its own ideas and identity without that predictable crutch to fall back on. I have higher hopes for this one.

It's one of the best trailers in years and couldn't feel any more like an Alien movie. Seriously, the number of easter eggs and nods to the first two films is staggering - pretty much every single scene in the trailer has something to begin salivating over...and it's not all because of Charlize Theron's Leeloo costume :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Goldstein wrote: »
    pretty much every single scene in the trailer has something to begin salivating over...and it's not all because of Charlize Theron's Leeloo costume :)

But God that helps!!!

Based on Lindelof's comments, I'm not expecting any xenomorphs or chest-bursting. He seems to have been the one who really pushed for making this more of a standalone film. And Scott has been saying for years that the Alien films needed a new monster.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The phrase Scott used was that the film had the same 'DNA' as the Alien movies; which I thought was an interesting turn of phrase & use of language to begin with;
    That did jump out at me as well, that he was talking literal DNA and not just figurative. But he also said this in an interview with filmophilia.com:
    EGE: Final question. I have a feeling what the answer will be, but many want to know. Will we see the original xenomorph in Prometheus?

RS: No. Absolutely not. They squeezed it dry. He (the xenomorph) did very well. (He laughs) He survived, he’s now in Disneyland in Orlando, and no way am I going back there. How did he end up in Disneyland? I saw him in Disneyland, Jesus Christ!
    That quote seems less ambiguous. Now he may just be talking about the version of the xenomorph from Alien and we'll see a whole new version but interestingly that interview has been pulled:
    http://filmophilia.com/2011/12/17/interview-ridley-scott-talks-prometheus-giger-beginning-of-man-and-original-alien/
    My own personal theory is that the film will chart its own course, be a standalone story in its own right, but will have enough callbacks & nods with the Alien franchise that those of us who can see the links will draw the obvious conclusions & link up the films in our minds.
    They could over do the nods though. From the trailer we already have what looks like acid eating through a spacemask, what very much looks like an egg chamber, a women in great pain begging (possibly to be put out of her misery?). If none of these are xenomorphe related then they are just thowing them in for the sake of it. I prefer to think we are been led a merry dance.
    Based on Lindelof's comments, I'm not expecting any xenomorphs or chest-bursting. He seems to have been the one who really pushed for making this more of a standalone film. And Scott has been saying for years that the Alien films needed a new monster.
    Do you think it's the same ship as in Alien?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They could over do the nods though. From the trailer we already have what looks like acid eating through a spacemask, what very much looks like an egg chamber, a women in great pain begging (possibly to be put out of her misery?). If none of these are xenomorphe related then they are just thowing them in for the sake of it. I prefer to think we are been led a merry dance.

Well the 'acid' could be anything, ditto the woman in pain. There's absolutely no context in those shots to make a complete guestimate as to what's happening - never underestimate the ability of a trailer to completely mislead the audience :)

Personal theory again? I don't think it's the same ship - in fact I doubt the film is even set on LV-426 - BUT I would guess that the events in Prometheus will somehow give birth to the covert orders we see in Alien - to seek out and contain any Space Jockey artifacts or bioweapons. The Prometheus ship gets trashed, the evidence lost, but the events surrounding the new movie all kick starts Weyland-Yutani's secret agenda...

I don't know. I think it could easily be another ship on another planet. But even if it is the same, I still don't think we're going to see any xenomorphs.

Well the 'acid' could be anything, ditto the woman in pain. There's absolutely no context in those shots to make a complete guestimate as to what's happening - never underestimate the ability of a trailer to completely mislead the audience smile.gif
    My point is I have no idea where the 'acid' came from but if it's not xenomorph related then it seems like they have a checklist of 'Alienisms' they are going through. Like the god awful "I'll be back" bit in Terminator Salvation. Seems to me people want a standalone movie that ploughs it's own furrow and doesn't fall back on Alien, but feels the constant need to refer back to Alien!

Personal theory again? I don't think it's the same ship - in fact I doubt the film is even set on LV-426 - BUT I would guess that the events in Prometheus will somehow give birth to the covert orders we see in Alien - to seek out and contain any Space Jockey artifacts or bioweapons. The Prometheus ship gets trashed, the evidence lost, but the events surrounding the new movie all kick starts Weyland-Yutani's secret agenda...

Yes just a personal theory. Doesn't seem the movie is set on LV-426 but to me it looks like it might end there.

I don't know. I think it could easily be another ship on another planet. But even if it is the same, I still don't think we're going to see any xenomorphs.
    How many donought shaped ships do this crowd lose on barron worlds? If it is another ship then they didn't stretch their imagination very much in writing this bit, or is it yet another nod to the original they keep wanting to distance themselves from? And if it is the same ship I doubt we won't get a mention of their massively dangerous cargo that (probably) ends up killing the crew.

There could have been a fleet of those ships for all we know. I think the stakes are a lot bigger in this film.

And I'm not saying we won't hear about about the xenomorphs, we almost certainly will, but I don't they are going to feature in the main plot of the film. All I've really taken from Scott and Lindelof's comments is that the film isn't going to end with the characters being chased around the ship by another alien.

• Advertisement

And I'm not saying we won't hear about about the xenomorphs, we almost certainly will, but I don't they are going to feature in the main plot of the film. All I've really taken from Scott and Lindelof's comments is that the film isn't going to end with the characters being chased around the ship by another alien.
    Oh yeah I'd agree with that, they definitely won't be "the big bad" and may only get a reference or be seen for a moment.

But we'll have to disagree about the ship...

Advertisement