Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well if it was a direct prequel to Alien, it would contradict the events that happened in the '79 film. From what I recall, the Nostromo accidentally discovers the derelict on LV-426 & it's only after Ash consults with the company that the directives regarding the Xenomorph are passed on. So whereas the Alien mythology implies Weyland-Yutani were aware of the Space Jockeys & Xenos, they didn't seem to know LV-426's relevance.

Were Prometheus a direct prequel then it wouldn't make sense that they'd just sit on LV-426 & allow random mining ships happen upon it. It could instead set up the idea of Weyland-Yutani discovering the Space-Jockey race & preparing themselves for any future discovery of artefacts & evidence, accidental or otherwise.

Its quite possible Weyland were simply keeping up the pretense that they knew nothing about it, and the Nostromo was always going to end up there.

i.e Notromo was operating under the cover of a mining mission they were never going to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Looking at the trailers, there doesn't seem to be a mention of Yutani, maybe the merge brings extra info?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

From what I recall, the Nostromo accidentally discovers the derelict on LV-426 & it's only after Ash consults with the company that the directives regarding the Xenomorph are passed on.

I think they got a distress signal of some sort at start of Alien from LV-426. Can't remember fully either. Who or what sent the signal is never stated, just that's it coming from that crashed ship on the planet. Maybe the company knew of the Xenomorph pre-Alien. Who knows? We might after watching Prometheus, or it might just answer nothing and raise further questions.

I wasn't too excited about this film, but I am now after the trailer, I can't wait to see how the film links up with Alien, if it does at all.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I think they got a distress signal of some sort at start of Alien from LV-426. Can't remember fully either. Who or what sent the signal is never stated, just that's it coming from that crashed ship on the planet. Maybe the company knew of the Xenomorph pre-Alien. Who knows? We might after watching Prometheus, or it might just answer nothing and raise further questions.

I wasn't too excited about this film, but I am now after the trailer, I can't wait to see how the film links up with Alien, if it does at all.

The signal came from the Space Jockey ship. Now, I find it quite funny they can decode a signal emanating from a ship belonging to a race they've allegedly never encountered before, and immediately know its a distress signal. This isn't Star Trek.

According to wiki, its just an Unknown signal, they don't decode it in any way, just trace its source to the ship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The Wiki says: Meanwhile, the Nostromo's computer partially deciphers the signal transmission, which Ripley determines to be some type of warning.

Also it says the Nostromo was on the return leg from the mine planet Thedus which would suggest less likelihood of an ulterior motive by WY Corp.

tricky D wrote: »
    The Wiki says: Meanwhile, the Nostromo's computer partially deciphers the signal transmission, which Ripley determines to be some type of warning.

Also it says the Nostromo was on the return leg from the mine planet Thedus which would suggest less likelihood of an ulterior motive by WY Corp.

Unless it route back was chosen specifically...

Either way, I'm a firm believer Weyland knew about the incident before Nostromo made it to the planet.

Unless it route back was chosen specifically...

Either way, I'm a firm believer Weyland knew about the incident before Nostromo made it to the planet.

Ya, I'd be inclined to agree with this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Re: the film's prequel status, here's what Lindelof had to say about it during the summer:
    I’ve always felt that really good prequels should be original movies. And the sequels to those prequels should not be the movie which already exists because, with all due respect to anyone who makes a prequel, but why would you ruin the greatest twist in the history of cinema, “Luke, I am your father”, by showing me three movies which basically spoil that surprise. You can do movies which take place before Star Wars, but I don’t need to see the story of the Skywalker clan. Show me something else which I can’t guess the possible outcome of. There is no suspense in inevitability. So a true prequel should essentially proceed the events of the original film, but be about something entirely different, feature different characters , have an entirely different theme, although it takes place in that same world. That was my fundamental feeling about what this movie wanted to be.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/damon-lindelof-explains-ridley-scotts-prometheus-connected-alien-films/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Its quite possible Weyland were simply keeping up the pretense that they knew nothing about it, and the Nostromo was always going to end up there.

i.e Notromo was operating under the cover of a mining mission they were never going to complete.

It's quite possible yes of course, but were that the case, why would the company trick a random mining ship to land on the planet then? If their intention was to grab the Xeno all along, then leading some random space-roughnecks into a trap was hardly the smartest plan. As we saw, they were all horribly slaughtered bar Ripley, who was simply lucky.

If I were to guess, I suspect the events of Prometheus will go horribly wrong, they'll lose whatever research they came for & tie into the events of Alien insofar as the company will keep tabs on their ships, in case they find other Space Jockey artefacts to pillage. I think the tie-in with the original movies will be as subtle as that, rather than some final scene featuring a progenitor xenomorph popping on the screen saying Hi...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Well that trailer has certainly done the job for me anyway, christ it looks goooooooooooood

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The trailer did a good job of getting me interested. I am guessing that a lot of that leaked plot posted here a few months ago makes up the story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Just watched the trailer - so it _is_ an Alien prequel ?

I thought that was the 1st idea, but he shelved it and said that in this film
    we would see similar concepts to the Alien film - but it wasn't a prequel ?

Anyway good trailer has me interested .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Damn it still a long time to wait...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

From the trailer it looks like it is going to be an alien infection they all slowly go insane and start killing each other type of movie.

I hope not, cause those movies tend to be a bit boring.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Had no idea Patrick Wilson was in this. Looking forward to it even more now. Great actor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I ve never seen alien, but I ve seen the others. Quick question tho, who/whats space jockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Owryan wrote: »
    I ve never seen alien, but I ve seen the others. Quick question tho, who/whats space jockey.

that is indeed the question ;) watch Alien and nothing will be revealed.

krudler wrote: »

that is indeed the question ;) watch Alien and nothing will be revealed.

Thanks lol, I have a dvd of it knocking about with 2 versions of the film. Babysitting new years eve so might watch it then

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Space Jockey is
    that big skeleton thing they encounter in Alien. It never gets explained any more than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Galvasean wrote: »
    Space Jockey is
    that big skeleton thing they encounter in Alien. It never gets explained any more than that

I always loved that about Alien, both the space jockey and aliens themselves have no backstory, its taken 30 odd years to even go there, if they do at all in Prometheus. like someone already said movies are too intent on taking away the wonder of everything these days, and showing origin stories, dont fcuk it up Ridley..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thanks lol, I have a dvd of it knocking about with 2 versions of the film. Babysitting new years eve so might watch it then

Just make sure you watch it at night - it's by no means the scariest film ever made, but it should go without saying that films like this should be seen in the right context & environs :)

Just make sure you watch it at night - it's by no means the scariest film ever made, but it should go without saying that films like this should be seen in the right context & environs :)

With or without beer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

After seeing this trailer I decided to watch Alien properly for the first time last night. :o

Have to say it looks amazing for a film made 30 years ago! Overall I enjoyed it but I've higher hopes for Aliens which I also don't think I've watched properly, just bits and pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Alien and Aliens are two completely different movies and should be taken on their own merits.Alien is a slow burning sci fi/thriller where as Aliens is just a balls out action movie that happens to have aliens in it.

Both equally enjoyable in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Aliens is a Vietnam film set in space with Aliens instead of the Vietcong. Its entertaining, but Alien is a masterpiece.

Nothing new, just something cool: via a blog I read, someone cut an Alien trailer to match Prometheus' - makes me want to break out the DVD again:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

@pixelburp very cool , love it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

A new still was released of Noomi Rapace's character in that Giger-ish type corridor with what appear to be Space Jockeys suits(?) in the background.

57418.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Aren't the space jockeys a lot bigger than that? or is it just an odd perspective..

Advertisement