Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

deezell wrote: »
    The 18" Webb has the same B&S 450e engine as the more expensive sub €400 Husky 16" LC 140S. 16" cut is tiny. The Castelgarden 18" XC48BSW has the more powerful 500e B&S engine, worth it over the Husky, Probably worth it over the Webb. The ProLawn Hyundai is a steal, based as it is on an earlier version of this €500 Hyundai,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyundai-HYM530SPE-Lawnmowers-Propelled-Centimeter/dp/B07TJYZ6DQ.

Slightly smaller engine than the Hyundai, but with over 20" cut, electric start, and iirc, variable speed, it's a snip for €319

Thanks so much for the help, ordered the prolawn today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Guys a little help

Hey guys I've spent ages on forums and online shops looking at Battery Strimmers and I'm still nowhere near having a clue

I'm looking for a battery strimmer , I would say I have medium thickness weeds outside and obviously the edge of the grass

Can anyone recommend me something from there own experience ? Would be willing to spend 200 or thereabouts , sick of using petrol ones

and I would need batteries aswell see alot of places selling just the bodies

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Guys a little help

Hey guys I've spent ages on forums and online shops looking at Battery Strimmers and I'm still nowhere near having a clue

I'm looking for a battery strimmer , I would say I have medium thickness weeds outside and obviously the edge of the grass

Can anyone recommend me something from there own experience ? Would be willing to spend 200 or thereabouts , sick of using petrol ones

and I would need batteries aswell see alot of places selling just the bodies

I just bought this battery strimmers on Amazon. Quick delivery. Does the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ClareMigrant

back again guys, came across this Stiga 19HP mower, based on conversations with dealers so far and our site is quite hilly a larger machine than the McCulloch might be needed - if anyone has feedback on Stiga it would be appreciated

https://www.stiga.ie/products/stiga-estate3398h-b-s-intek-7200-v-twin-2t2640281-st1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Probably the best bargain online tho minute in terms of bang for you buck is this 51cm cut electric start Hyundai badged mower from Woodie's.
    https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-53cm-self-propelled-electric-start-hyundai-lawnmower-1168768
    At just €319 it's a lot less than original Hyundai it's based on.

Looks like a very good deal.
    Highest cut is 75mm though so pretty much useless unless you have very short grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Zardoz wrote: »
    Looks like a very good deal.
    Highest cut is 75mm though so pretty much useless unless you have very short grass.

Nothing wrong with the height of cut, absolutely normal maximum height.

My pro Honda is max 77mm.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the height of cut, absolutely normal maximum height.

My pro Honda is max 77mm.

Its too low to cut medium to high grass or a lawn with alot of thatch without damaging it,as it will remove far more than a third.

Its too low to cut medium to high grass or a lawn with alot of thatch without damaging it,as it will remove far more than a third.

Absolute rubbish.

77mm is 3 inches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I doubt you'll find too many mowers with a height adjuster that takes it to more than 80 mm. I suspect there is some sensible regulation in effect that stops manufacturers going higher to stop small things like feet being mowed over.

• Advertisement

GinSoaked wrote: »
    I doubt you'll find too many mowers with a height adjuster that takes it to more than 80 mm. I suspect there is some sensible regulation in effect that stops manufacturers going higher to stop small things like feet being mowed over.

I found a few Toros that go to 95mm and 102mm .
    Absolute rubbish.

I've tried a number of machines that have a maximum height of 75mm and they are only of benefit if you can keep the grass low.
    Let the grass go long and you cant top it properly ,it will scalp it at the highest setting.

I found a few Toros that go to 95mm and 102mm .

I've tried a number of machines that have a maximum height of 75mm and they are only of benefit if you can keep the grass low.
    Let the grass go long and you cant top it properly ,it will scalp it at the highest setting.

Grass shouldn't get to the point where a 3 inch cut would scalp it, I have just cut 3-4 inch grass down to 1.5 inches today with no problem.

Grass shouldn't get to the point where a 3 inch cut would scalp it, I have just cut 3-4 inch grass down to 1.5 inches today with no problem.

I should add that my grass is normally kept at 1 to 1.25 inches roughly

You are only meant to take a third off the grass at any one time. You've cut off 50 to 60 percent, which damages the grass.
    If you have a top setting of 3 inches you can really only take a third off grass that's 4. 33 inches high otherwise its taking off more than a third.
    The Toros can cut up to 6 inches high and safely take a third off.
    Then take another third off a few days later.
    Some of the the decks I've seen seem to cut alot lower than 3 inches on the highest setting of 75cm too,maybe the decks are off.

You are only meant to take a third off the grass at any one time. You've cut off 50 to 60 percent, which damages the grass.
    If you have a top setting of 3 inches you can really only take a third off grass that's 4 inches high otherwise its taking off more than a third.
    Some of the the decks I've seen seem to cut alot lower than 3 inches on the highest setting of 75cm,maybe the decks are off.

My grass is fine, not damaged and my fathers grass has never been damaged, I have been cutting grass for many years and never had a problem.

Although ordinarily I cut my grass at least twice a week so it never gets long, unfortunately recently I've had a lot of other projects on the go which has got in the way of cutting grass.

Perhaps you're referring more to mulching, which I don't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭deezell

The problem with thatchy lawns is that the mower wheels sink in it, so if you have 3 inches of grass over it and you set to cut at two, the mower sinks an inch an a half, cutting the grass to half an inch. The problem is not the mower, it's the 'lawn' which is more like a field. There are walk behind mowers which have coarse amenity type grass in mind.
    If your walk behind can only raise to 75mm, 3", it is possible on many models to reposition the height rack on the deck. It's usually held on by two bolts, and it may be possible to get an extra 'notch' by drilling the deck and refitting the rack. I've done it on mine, apologies if I've breached H&S, but I won't stick my foot under, promise.

back again guys, came across this Stiga 19HP mower, based on conversations with dealers so far and our site is quite hilly a larger machine than the McCulloch might be needed - if anyone has feedback on Stiga it would be appreciated

https://www.stiga.ie/products/stiga-estate3398h-b-s-intek-7200-v-twin-2t2640281-st1.html

Stiga are a mirror of Castelgarden, whose parent GGP bought out the company years ago, and merged the products. The company is now being rebranded as Stiga Group. That mower has a V twin engine, perfect for smooth power on hills. I'm not sure what the story is with this NI company, but check the price, delivered.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/stiga-estate-3398-h-ride-on-mower-in-stock-now/21037062

The problem with thatchy lawns is that the mower wheels sink in it, so if you have 3 inches of grass over it and you set to cut at two, the mower sinks an inch an a half, cutting the grass to half an inch. The problem is not the mower, it's the 'lawn' which is more like a field. There are walk behind mowers which have coarse amenity type grass in mind.

Ah yes ,that explains the issue I have perfectly.
    I did have alot of thatch in the lawn and I always used to have to cut it relatively high as a result because if it was cut lower it would look poor and go yellow.
    I also have a small area of land that I cut that was kind of reclaimed from a field so its thatchy too ,although it was overseeded with very fine grass.
    I scarified all of the lawns last month and removed most of the thatch and moss so I can now cut the grass lower and maintain that low height throughout the rest of the year.
    I used to do that yearly but I've not had the time to do it in recent years so the lawn degraded and the thatch increased.
    If your walk behind can only raise to 75mm, 3", it is possible on many models to reposition the height rack on the deck. It's usually held on by two bolts, and it may be possible to get an extra 'notch' by drilling the deck and refitting the rack. I've done it on mine, apologies if I've breached H&S, but I won't stick my foot under, promise.

Thats a great idea , off to the shed I go

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭hhmmm?

I have spent most of this evening looking for a 12" mulching blade online but cannot seem to find one. Does anybody know if a blade of that size exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ClareMigrant

Stiga are a mirror of Castelgarden, whose parent GGP bought out the company years ago, and merged the products. The company is now being rebranded as Stiga Group. That mower has a V twin engine, perfect for smooth power on hills. I'm not sure what the story is with this NI company, but check the price, delivered.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/stiga-estate-3398-h-ride-on-mower-in-stock-now/21037062

Thanks Deezel, I think this this is excl VAT - have a local price of €2900

• Advertisement

Thanks Deezel, I think this this is excl VAT - have a local price of €2900

The bit about
    Talk to us about VAT FREE Shopping!
    didn't put you off?

The bit about

didn't put you off?

Sounds dodgy. Like they'll sell you the mower vat free for cash or somthing. Is this what Brexit brings? Smuggling untaxed across the border again. I notice a lot of UK sites now pricing excluding VAT, so suddenly the rest of Europe is like the far East to them.

hhmmm? wrote: »
    I have spent most of this evening looking for a 12" mulching blade online but cannot seem to find one. Does anybody know if a blade of that size exists?
    What mower is it for? There are 12" blades in hover mowers and small electric mowers, but are you looking for a mulch type blade to replace the original? If the mower only has a 12" cut, it sounds like an electric one. Your motor wouldn't last long if you expected it to cut and multichop the grass. Fwiw, here's an oregon Gator 12" mulching blade, but these are fitted to 3 blade heavy duty mowers, not tiny 12" domestic ones. You can check out hole sizes,
    https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/mulching-blade%2C-gator%C2%AE-g3%E2%84%A2%2C-12-1-8%22/p/96-632

That Pro Lawn in Woodies...is there anything dodgy about the fact it has many different brand names? I notice it's called a Herkules here:
    https://www.gardenmachinery.ie/lawn-mowers/self-propelled-rotary-mowers/herkules-self-propelled-21-mower.html

Maybe that's normal for lawn mowers. In other products it's usually a bad sign.

Oh and Woodies want €40 for home delivery!!

That Pro Lawn in Woodies...is there anything dodgy about the fact it has many different brand names? I notice it's called a Herkules here:
    https://www.gardenmachinery.ie/lawn-mowers/self-propelled-rotary-mowers/herkules-self-propelled-21-mower.html

Maybe that's normal for lawn mowers. In other products it's usually a bad sign.

Oh and Woodies want €40 for home delivery!!

It's not usual for brands to sell generics of their own models under different names. Look at all the Lidl and Aldi tools. Much of those are good quality versions of respectable brands, but to protect the source brand name and premium, you use an alias, or a big store own brand. This would differ from super cheap Chinese generics, with some really compromised parts, made for an extremely low price for sale in big box outlets. These machines are assembled from a menu of generic parts, some may look identical to parts used on a brand name, because they probably are, but they might be the only quality parts of the generic mower. Wheels, levers and cables and decks are often cheapo, and some engines are just about fit for purpose, hence really low price.
    As for the €40, I think the couriers are making a killing these weeks, after years of really low flat rates. Hard to blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thisyear

Hi all,

have about 2.5acres to cut but a portion of it is a long avenue. Im wondering what is the best mover for damp grass and the biggest collection bag!

thanks for the help

thisyear wrote: »
    Hi all,

have about 2.5acres to cut but a portion of it is a long avenue. Im wondering what is the best mover for damp grass and the biggest collection bag!

thanks for the help
    Stihl ride on mowers (formerly Viking) have the biggest grass box according to Farmers Journal test I linked a few posts back. Cutting 2.5 acres, you want something big, though not an expensive commercial machine I assume. The Stihl RT6127 ZL is a big beast, whopping 49" cut, one and a quarter metres, huge 21hp B&S V twin engine. Currently advertised here for €4800, this mower was close to 6 grand some years ago. Massive build quality too. Compare it's size to a standard 102-110 cm cut quality mower, which will set you back close to this amount.
    http://www.donegan.ie/product_info.php?products_id=2653

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭iggy82

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice - a bit torn between 2 lawnmowers. Would anyone have a view on which of the 2 below is better? I have about 1/4 of an acre to cut.

https://www.diy.com/departments/mountfield-sp53h-160cc-petrol-lawnmower/8008984817999_BQ.prd

https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-53cm-self-propelled-electric-start-hyundai-lawnmower-1168768

The 40 delivery from woodies is really annoying- only10 mins from Newry so no bother with B&Q collections.

Thanks in advance for your advice

iggy82 wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice - a bit torn between 2 lawnmowers. Would anyone have a view on which of the 2 below is better? I have about 1/4 of an acre to cut.

https://www.diy.com/departments/mountfield-sp53h-160cc-petrol-lawnmower/8008984817999_BQ.prd

The 40 delivery from woodies is really annoying- only10 mins from Newry so no bother with B&Q collections.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Some might consider the Mountfied with the Honda engine worth the premium.

• Advertisement

Some might consider the Mountfied with the Honda engine worth the premium.

B&Q are open for collections in NI? Anyway, the price difference is about €100, but the €40 delivery fee makes it worth the difference of 60. Couple of things, your link shows it added to a basket for £368. When I searched on a new tab I got this,

512002.jpg

Only £298 clearance, but out of stock. So do B&Q even have one for £368? And what happened the clearance price?
    Finally, I see Screwfix Newry has it for £19 less than the B&Q price, at £349, in case the other doesn't exist.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/mountfield-sp53h-167cc-self-propelled-rotary-petrol-lawn-mower/976fy
    Without the €40 delivery, it's only €40 more than the Woodie's one. Good buy if they have it to click/collect.

Advertisement