Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: White Clover infracted for ignoring my incredibly clear mod warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

auspicious wrote: »
    Chickpea curry and wholegrain rice.
    Added a dollop of mango chutney too.

Whats on top of the rice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Whats on top of the rice?

Nutritional yeast maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Faith wrote: »
    Mod note: Rudeness will not be tolerated. Food doesn't have to look good to taste delicious, as we all know very well.

I thought she was referencing an exchange we had on another thread. Now it's been brought to my attention I guess it does actually. Perhaps had I put it in to a bowl with a brighter and wider camera shot and a sprig of coriander it wouldn't have had garnered such interest.
    Anyway if that's the quality of grub they serve inside, while I'll always avoid the place, if the unforseen ever did happen I'll be safe in the knowledge that I'll clean my plate each and every time. No lips or hooves in my food.
    (That's nutritional yeast on top of rice.)

The Great Escape
    Sweet and sour and satay veg from the local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Vegetarian, not vegan (they have feta in, but I'm sure there's plenty of vegan alternatives) but I had pea and mint fritters from an ottolenghi cookbook for me tea. Very nice indeed.

Had the Persian Tomato and Cauliflower One Pot thing from Aldi for my tea when I got in from work yesterday and that was very nice as well, nice big chunks of cauliflower in it. Those one pot things are excellent, very filling and tasty.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Chickpea curry and wholegrain rice.
    Added a dollop of mango chutney too.

Holy nooch batman! How does the rice taste with the extra nooch on top? I find that it can be a bit over powering when not mixed / cooked in. Anything else in the rice or just boiled (maybe a stock in the rice?).

I put 3 or 4 cardamon pods/seeds and a star anise in the water while boiling the rice. Learned that one from Gordon Ramsey vid.
    The curry was so rich that the nooch was lost in it. Had apple in there too.

I'm eyeing up this baby to make today or tomorrow. He has a vid on his youtube channel too.
    https://www.thevegankindsupermarket.com/recipes/Gaz's-Pepperoni

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I put 3 or 4 cardamon pods/seeds and a star anise in the water while boiling the rice. Learned that one from Gordon Ramsey vid.
    The curry was so rich that the nooch was lost in it. Had apple in there too.

I'm eyeing up this baby to make today or tomorrow. He has a vid on his youtube channel too.
    https://www.thevegankindsupermarket.com/recipes/Gaz's-Pepperoni

Nice, apple in curry sauce is excellent. My OH makes a mean chipshop curry sauce from scratch. First time I had ever seen apple used in a curry!

Gonna be all over this thread soon.

Photos will include recipes.

Just wish I could show photo, not link, from phone but don’t think it’s possible ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Gonna be all over this thread soon.

Photos will include recipes.

Just wish I could show photo, not link, from phone but don’t think it’s possible ?

I use postimages.org, then select Hotlink for Forums option, and remove the anchor tag.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I use postimages.org, then select Hotlink for Forums option, and remove the anchor tag.

Thanks.

I’ll try that.

Think it’s mad you can’t post photo straight from phone and I loathe to post a link.

Thanks.

I’ll try that.

Think it’s mad you can’t post photo straight from phone and I loathe to post a link.

I know, it's a pain :)
    I guess server storage and bandwidth are not up to the task.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You can post images from a phone, but you have to add as an attachment first and then embed the link for that.

New Home wrote: »
    You can post images from a phone, but you have to add as an attachment first and then embed the link for that.

This functionality is not available on the touch site, AFAIK?

Short video on making seitan

Borlotti beans with tomatoes in harrisa sauce.
    Cumin seeds, fennel seeds, two chopped chilies, veg. cube.
    Two diced red onions, garlic, celery, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup. Scallions.
    Very spicy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    This functionality is not available on the touch site, AFAIK?

I'm looking at my phone now. I switched to touch because, I'll admit, I prefer the desktop site. But yes, I can see just under "post your reply" that there's a paperclip symbol. Start from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Made this yesterday.

Non meat cottage/shepherds pie. Used a tin of green lentils from aldi I usually precook the dried lentils in a stock cude to make sure theyre soft. Not the most appetitising photo, just had some for lunch, even better today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Made this yesterday.

Non meat cottage/shepherds pie. Used a tin of green lentils from aldi I usually precook the dried lentils in a stock cude to make sure theyre soft. Not the most appetitising photo, just had some for lunch, even better today.

I made shepherdless pie a few weeks back and ended up with 10 portions in the freezer. Nothing better than having something hearty like that for lunch the next day imo. What did you use for the sauce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Bigbooty wrote: »
    I made shepherdless pie a few weeks back and ended up with 10 portions in the freezer. Nothing better than having something hearty like that for lunch the next day imo. What did you use for the sauce?

I fry the veg a bit then add half a tin of tomatoes and a stock cude or 2.

The lentils usually help thicken it up but if its still a bit watery I might add some bisto powder or arrowroot to help thicken it.

We've only a tiny freezer but most things get eaten within a day or so.
    A small chest freezer will be needed soon

Green lentils on linguine.
    1/2 Spanish onion, minced 4 garlic, veg. cube.
    Vegan red wine, bay leaves.
    Soaked lentils 300g, chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs, 1/2ish cup water.
    Sprig coriander ;)

No chicken nuggets from Aldi and baked beans with a little McDonalds curry thrown in. Lazy vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

No chicken nuggets from Aldi and baked beans with a little McDonalds curry thrown in. Lazy vegan.

Hi auspicious. Looks delicious! Is that 'Plant Menu' No Chicken Nuggets?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi auspicious. Looks delicious! Is that 'Plant Menu' No Chicken Nuggets?

Yes. I'll definitely get them again.
    They seem to have discontinued the no chicken burgers which I was a fan of.
    I had the roast too a couple of days ago. The immediate taste I got from it actually was turkey. Adli has done well. I must try Tesco's offers soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made this Vegan dirty fries with vegan cheese sauce topped with confit jackfruit in a bbq sauce.

Lovely.

Looks like a few big dirty cashews in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

They seem to have discontinued the no chicken burgers which I was a fan of.

I can't find them in aldi either

Breakfast

Oats, ground flax seed, Brazil, walnut, cashew, chia seeds, coconut flakes, raisins, cinnamon, maple syrup (small amount) and cocoa powder.

Recipe by ‘simple veganista’ but altered by myself to suit my own taste.

• Advertisement

Breakfast

Homemade granola.

Can be served with a simple (mild flavoured) yoghurt. I like a mild vanilla but mostly will choose a coconut yoghurt.

Oats, ground flax seed, Brazil, walnut, cashew, chia seeds, coconut flakes, raisins, cinnamon, maple syrup (small amount) and cocoa powder.

Recipe by ‘simple veganista’ but altered by myself to suit my own taste.

Advertisement