Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Puy lentils with carrot & parsnip mash.

IMG-20191230-002148.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

[IMG]http://20200118_215928.jpg[/IMG]Viv era "kebab" from Tesco, turned into a sort- of pitta gyros... with red cabbage slaw, hot sauce and a pretty decent tzatziki made from oatly creme fraiche:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Looks delicious.
    Oatly creme fraiche- I'm on the lookout now!

auspicious wrote: »
    Looks delicious.
    Oatly creme fraiche- I'm on the lookout now!

It's delicious... I got it in the Nourish concession in Dunnes in Blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

nikpmup wrote: »
    [IMG]http://20200118_215928.jpg[/IMG]Viv era "kebab" from Tesco, turned into a sort- of pitta gyros... with red cabbage slaw, hot sauce and a pretty decent tzatziki made from oatly creme fraiche:

This is probably my favourite lazy meal, and favourite meat replacement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Boxty is the biz!

Here's some chickpea seitan with various flavourings.
    Even without marinade it tastes great.
    ( edit - secret ingredient miso paste)

after seeing a comment somewhere else, I had to come find this - how long did it take to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Greek baked beefsteak tomatoes stuffed with rice, with mint, pine nuts and parmesan, used risotto instead of long grain rice, didn't overfill them, first attempt at a new recipe (Rick Stein), plenty of fresh mint is the key.

JustMe,K wrote: »
    after seeing a comment somewhere else, I had to come find this - how long did it take to make?

--THIS USES PURE GLUTEN--
    I used this recipe ( can't remember author ).
    Then steam for 2 hours. I steamed in a pressure cooker.
    Other recipes use broth as a finisher.

Check out Sauce Stach on YouTube. I'm planning on choosing a couple of his to do later this week.

edit - I had no onion powder so I used half a small red onion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Some nice seitan recipes:

https://yupitsvegan.com/mongolian-seitan-vegan-beef/
    http://yeahthatvegan****.blogspot.com/2007/04/infamous-seitan-recipe-o-greatness.html
    the asterisk need to be replaced with s h i t haha, in that second link.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hail seitan \m/

Night 4 of batch cooked tofu, chickpea and veg curry with basmati rice. Eating like it's January 76th!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Couple of Vegan turkey crowns for sandwiches tomorrow.

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Couple of Vegan turkey crowns for sandwiches tomorrow.

What's the main ingredient?

BOSH's thai no-fishcakes, with peas added, served with steamed broccoli and edemame. S'cuse presentation, photo is of leftovers in a Tupperware box for lunch the next day. Very tasty.

What's the main ingredient?

Seitan, nutrional yeast and herbs

Pasta with spinach, olives and vegan pesto, with two of the Richmond meat free sausages my kids were having chopped up into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Vegan steak from Veganic in a slimbo with hummus, jalapenos, speck ham from V and siracha. Side of potato cakes homemade with lots of onion powder and pepper as well as a tomato and red pepper salad.

Tofu, chickpea and mixed veg curry with basmati rice. 2 year old will eat it, almost 4 year old won't touch it.

Tofu, chickpea and mixed veg curry with basmati rice. 2 year old will eat it, almost 4 year old won't touch it.

How did you make your curry sauce?

Curry paste, fry the veg in garlic paste, tin of tomatoes and a bit of coconut cream?

Curry paste, fry the veg in garlic paste, tin of tomatoes and a bit of coconut cream?

I never make curry I have to say but when I do, it always ends up more like a chili than a curry :(

My go to cuisine is Italian normally (avocado pesto or cashew & mushroom cream sauce), despite loving curry (green curry in particular), or else wraps/burgers with fake meats/beans and air fryer spuds! Need to branch out into Asian food.

• Advertisement

Thai curries are really easy - if you can find a vegan paste, start by frying that up, then put your veg/tofu/etc in and keep frying, then add coconut milk. You'll need to be careful of the fish sauce there though.

Indian food has a huge amount of vegetarian dishes, which can be easily veganised by swapping out paneer for tofu, ghee for a plant oil, yogurt or cream for plant based alternatives etc.

Veg Recipes of India is well worth a look.

Carrots Tail in Rathmines for dinner. Wow, serious food coma.

Double no cheese cheeseburger with fries, garlic mayo and a side of popcorn "chicken". Dessert was a cookie cream cake.

That was pure dopamine infused heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

lentils with sweet potatoes and spinich. Gorgeous

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I see Tesco are selling canned jackfruit.
    Haven't tried jackfruit yet, is it just texture with no taste?

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Pretty much, but it absorbs the flavour of whatever you cook it in. I had jackfruit tacos tonight; I sprinkled it with a spice rub and then baked it, tasted like chilli chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Almost; I like the little taste there is, I could eat a canful easy. Lovely texture.

Mashed potatoes, Richmond meat free sausages, Bisto gravy and mushy peas. Comfort food time!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

We tried the Aldi 'firecracker parcels' last night: very, very impressed. Possibly the nicest thing we've ever bought from Aldi. Served with coconut oil and salt tossed steamed spuds from our garden and a creamy leek sauce (we've dozens of leeks at the moment: must get some soup going).

Lasagna with homemade spinach pasta, lentils, walnuts & roasted butternut squash in a chickpea béchamel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I had a fantastic vegetable chilli, rice, tortilla crisps and sour cream, topped with grated cheese. We went all out given the circumstances of this week!

Advertisement