Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Lentil dahl with cauliflower, plus rice. A recipe grabbed at random off the internet, quick and easy to make. Uses home-made stock. All organic except the salt.

Tip: dry-roast the cauli first, it makes a serious difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I love red lentil dahl and rice. LOVE IT!

What's your veg. stock recipe?

I save all the odds and ends from certain veggies - not a wide range. Onion skins, garlic bits and pieces, carrot bits, leak scrags, celery leaves, pepper stalks and seeds, squash, pea pods, woody bits of tomatoes, not a lot else, bits left of chillis maybe.

Just throw it in a freezer bag till there's, I dunno, 3/4 cupsful? Then in a big pan of boiling water and simmer for a couple of hours. Sieve and store. It makes wonderful soup.

Sounds interesting. I'll give it a go.

I usually add some fresh onion and carrot to the simmering stock, I think I read that somewhere.

The sieved remains, we end up eating again, a year or so after they've gone on a heap somewhere. :)

• Advertisement

Black and kidney bean chilli, another swift internet recipe. Very rich with an added spoonful of cocoa and some lime juice.

Served with broccoli-mashed spuds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looks delicious, nice one!

auspicious wrote: »
    This is their answer

Hi there. Thanks for your message and we're sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We're currently experiencing high volumes of contact. We can confirm that Mae's kitchen is and Aldi own brand. As a responsible retailer we are committed to the sustainable sourcing of our products. We are a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), a multi-stakeholder group that set the global standard for sustainable palm oil. Having achieved 100% sustainable palm oil in food, we aim to have 100% sustainable palm oil in non-food products by the end of 2018. In line with the industry, we do not require the RSPO logo to be added on pack. We hope this helps. Thanks again. Steph, Aldi IRL Twitter Team.

Here's a link to help you buy palm-oil-free. Note it refers to non-veg*n as well as veg*n companies and products.

Roast purple sweet potatoes, roast beetroot, roast rosemary spuds, home-made mushy peas and window-ledge alfalfa sprouts, served with 2 of Dee's seaweed and ginger bangers.

62247119_106631740602366_3144171241858924544_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=5809807c142f307a6dae06cd9a955e81&oe=5D914E73

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Got these vegeburgers from Aldi.

IMG-20190615-200016.jpg

They were quite OK, but tasted a bit fast foodish.
    But they seemed to fall apart before I rescued them from the oven. The cheese was very orange and gloopy, as you can see.

Maybe would be better with chips after a few beers.

IMG_20190615_195717.jpg

My curried quinoa and veg mix doesn't look the best, but was tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Had the best vegan nachos from My Goodness in the English Market for lunch.

No pics but they were yum. Definitely recommend.

Vegan Bolognese with whole wheat spaghetti.

Iceland's No Bull mince.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Worztron

Vegan Bolognese with whole wheat spaghetti.

Iceland's No Bull mince.

Hi auspicious. Is that nooch sprinkled on it?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi auspicious. Is that nooch sprinkled on it?

How's things?
    That is turmeric. I was going to use nooch but I actually forgot.
    Veg. I've included are 2/3 onions, 3/4 carrots, 2 peppers, 250g mushrooms, 1 leek, 4/5 garlic cloves and 250g tomato passata.
    Herbs/spices are veg. cube, cumin seeds, ginger, smokey paprika, chili powder, chilli flakes, fenugreek seeds, rosemary, thyme, ground coriander - 2tsp of each. and 4tbsp soy sauce.
    - pressure cooker.

How's things?
    That is turmeric. I was going to use nooch but I actually forgot.
    Veg. I've included are 2/3 onions, 3/4 carrots, 2 peppers, 250g mushrooms, 1 leek, 4/5 garlic cloves and 250g tomato passata.
    Herbs/spices are veg. cube, cumin seeds, ginger, smokey paprika, chili powder, chilli flakes, fenugreek seeds, rosemary, thyme, ground coriander - 2tsp of each. and 4tbsp soy sauce.
    - pressure cooker.

Thanks for the recipe. I've yet to try nooch - where's the best places to get it? Any supermarket?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

health food stores mostly, H&B, nourish, down to earth etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Aldi do it from time to time as well

HB - Holland and Barrett for me € 3.50

(There's also a few cups of water in that recipe too.)

Yellow split pea chili with kidney beans and tofu and rice, at work.

Goodalls Vegan stonebaked pizza with Tesco free from cheese and breaded garlic mushrooms.

Sure it's the weekend!

• Advertisement

Goodalls Vegan stonebaked pizza with Tesco free from cheese and breaded garlic mushrooms.

Sure it's the weekend!

Hi auspicious. Did you mean 'Goodfella's'?

Hi auspicious. Did you mean 'Goodfella's'?

Yes actually. It was in the freezer for over a week. And after a few drinks it wanted to join the party.
    Never go shopping on an empty stomach. ><

Mushroom and leek strogonoff as per The Happy Pear ( I added kidney beans and some coconut milk) with No Bull Meatballs as per Iceland.
    - packed lunch.

Mushroom and leek strogonoff as per The Happy Pear ( I added kidney beans and some coconut milk) with No Bull Meatballs as per Iceland.
    - packed lunch.

If you rearranged things a bit, you'd have the Irish tricolor.

Just made a batch of seitan.
    130g of red lentils and 200g vital wheat gluten + flavourings.

More protein than beef!

Just made a batch of seitan.
    130g of red lentils and 200g vital wheat gluten + flavourings.

More protein than beef!

Seitan is one of the popular vegan foods that I've yet to try.

Seitan is one of the popular vegan foods that I've yet to try.

I get the v.w.g. from Nourish.ie.
    Here's the recipe I used https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-seitan-steak/#wprm-recipe-container-14806
    though my marinade included barbeque sauce and sesame oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I get the v.w.g. from Nourish.ie.
    Here's the recipe I used https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-seitan-steak/#wprm-recipe-container-14806
    though my marinade included barbeque sauce and sesame oil.

Wouldn't mind trying this - where would I get liquid smoke?!

Wouldn't mind trying this - where would I get liquid smoke?!

I use smoked paprika instead - 2 to 3 teaspoons.
    Most supermarkets should supply it.

( The longer you knead the dough the denser it becomes after steaming. )

• Advertisement

Working lunch.

Advertisement