Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

…and last night I did a stir-fry.

Kicked off with heated dilute lemon juice in a wok, then in it I 'fried':

chopped onions
    grated ginger
    crushed garlic
    salt
    chopped fresh chillis
    chopped red pepper
    chopped mushrooms
    pine kernels

for five minutes, then added lightly steamed:

chopped purple and red carrot
    purple sweet potato
    sweetcorn kernels
    peas
    broccoli
    mung bean sprouts
    sesame seeds

and it was pretty damned powerful, plus very low fat (no oil involved).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Where can you buy the Haggis? Looks lovely!

anewme wrote: »
    Where can you buy the Haggis? Looks lovely!

It really is good. Some 'health' or wholefood shops would stock them, in the freezer and this page gives some supermarket sources. They also do a Moroccan spiced veggie haggis which I'd love to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Brussels sprouts! This time of year? I love the brussels sprouts season, eat tons. Don't tell me they were frozen? Are they really any good once defrosted? I like by brussels just lightly steamed (and grated raw) and have horrific memories of liquid veggies.

Yep. Frozen. Don't hate on me. Love them.
    Wouldn't chance them in smoothies though.

Brussels sprouts! This time of year? I love the brussels sprouts season, eat tons. Don't tell me they were frozen? Are they really any good once defrosted? I like by brussels just lightly steamed (and grated raw) and have horrific memories of liquid veggies.
    auspicious wrote: »
    Yep. Frozen. Don't hate on me. Love them.
    Wouldn't chance them in smoothies though.

No hating on you auspicious: feel the lurve. :) So what's the texture of your brussels like? Freezing technologies have improved over the years - maybe I ought to try them again.

• Advertisement

oops.

All you can do is try david.

My second dinner today.
    Spuds, sweet spuds, lentils done with carrots and carrot greens, green beans, plant burger and delicious gravy.
    In dother lunchbox.

My second dinner today.
    Spuds, sweet spuds, lentils done with carrots and carrot greens, green beans, plant burger and delicious gravy.
    In dother lunchbox.

Looks great, good gravy by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Looks great, good gravy by the look of it.

What is the gravy auspicious, out of interest?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

wdOQS70r.jpg

pearl couscous, brocolli, baby corn, mushrooms sun-dried tomatoes, capers, chickpeas, kidney beans, garlic, turmeric, ginger, smoked paprika.
    Simple, healthy, delicious.

• Advertisement

Ben Done wrote: »
    What is the gravy auspicious, out of interest?

Bisto original gravy powder.
    I'm too lazy to make my own.

wdOQS70r.jpg

pearl couscous, brocolli, baby corn, mushrooms sun-dried tomatoes, capers, chickpeas, kidney beans, garlic, turmeric, ginger, smoked paprika.
    Simple, healthy, delicious.

Brill TA. Some of my fave ingredients there. How’d you cook it? In water/oil/or what?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Bisto original gravy powder.
    I'm too lazy to make my own.
    Love their french onion one too.
    Brill TA. Some of my fave ingredients there. How’d you cook it? In water/oil/or what?
    For the veg it was all done in an airfryer with no oil in 5 minutes, apart from the mushrooms which were fried with some. The rest was uncooked apart from boiling the pearl couscous, merely stirred in with the veg. I love my airfryer! First time I've used oil in months was for those mushrooms, even then i could have used water I guess.

This is actually my breakfast now, but it's a dinner really! Naturli vegan mince from Dunnes (so good), asparagus, mushroom pasta sauce with a lot of extra mushrooms, babycorns, wholewheat pasta. Takes just a few minutes, would have added some red wine if I remembered my half empty bottle! As it is it's healthier though :D

7UF8ls1l.jpg

This is actually my breakfast now, but it's a dinner really! Naturli vegan mince from Dunnes (so good), asparagus, mushroom pasta sauce with a lot of extra mushrooms, babycorns, wholewheat pasta. Takes just a few minutes, would have added some red wine if I remembered my half empty bottle! As it is it's healthier though :D

7UF8ls1l.jpg

Beautiful. Very arty shot TA!

Here's last night's, one of my favourite (easy to make, very quick), a beany cauliflower curry with windowsill lentil sprouts.

Beans used were Peruvian organic black-eyed beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Anyone try the vegan hotpot range in Aldi. Handy if you don’t want to cook. Just boil some rice.

Thai red curry.
    Black bean stew.
    Spinach & lentil.

I’ve tried the 3 above over the last few weeks. Very tasty I add my ‘crazy bastard’ sauce to them though for a bit of a kick.

https://www.crazybsauce.com/

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/aldi-to-launch-affordable-new-vegan-range-of-ready-meals-and-store-cupboard-essentials/

That looks delious David!

Had those ALDI pots before, I remember one in particular was amazing.

MvSCcQVr.jpg

Simple! Roast potatoes and roast brocolli with a no bull burger, nutritional yeast and French onion gravy.

Steamed spuds, then dry roasted with salt. Steamed purple carrots with peas. An onion gravy with arame and mushrooms. Half a Clive's cassoulet pie.

The spuds were savage.

No oil used, everything except the salt and arame organic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Beautiful. Very arty shot TA!

Here's last night's, one of my favourite (easy to make, very quick), a beany cauliflower curry with windowsill lentil sprouts.

Beans used were Peruvian organic black-eyed beans.

Do you have a recipe for that bean and cauliflower curry?

• Advertisement

Vexorg wrote: »
    Do you have a recipe for that bean and cauliflower curry?

Yes, it's very much like Happy Pear's five minute curry (I like it cooked longer and it's even better after a it's been sitting for a day). It's really simple to make though.

I have the ingredients prepared in four sections:

½ onion
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    2 tablespoons olive oil (or use water with a tablespoon of lemon juice)
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    ½ inch of ginger, grated
    ½ a red chilli, chopped finely

1 tbsp curry powder (hot)
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground paprika
    1 tsp turmeric

1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tin coconut milk (light for preference)
    1 tin of chickpeas (drained and rinsed) other beans could be used but chickpeas are 'classic'
    1 tsp salt
    ½ tsp ground black pepper

small bunch of fresh coriander
    zest of 1 lime
    juice of 1 lime

INSTRUCTIONS
    Get any veggies you want steaming (cauliflower is brilliant in this curry)
    Heat the oil
    Add the onion, cumin seeds and garlic and fry for a few minutes
    Add ginger & chilli, cook and stir for 30 seconds
    Add spices, cook and stir for 30 seconds
    Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, chickpeas, steamed veg., salt and pepper
    Let that bubble for a while

Off the heat
    Chop the coriander (leaves and stems) and add to the pan along with the lime zest, juice, season to taste

Serve with a grain, rice or chapati/paratha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Thanks for that, I find the cooking times for the Happy Pear's recipes to be way off and always have to cook longer which seems to help develop the flavours anyway and as you say its usually better the following day. I usually add veg stock to left overs and make a soup.

For me the magic ingredient is the lime. It adds great depth and I don’t care to do this recipe if I don’t have one.

A simple home-made lentil and tomato sauce with wholewheat spag. and some garlic mushrooms (and radishes - love 'em). Very tasty, all organic.

Snacking on Mae's Kitchen No sausage rolls Aldi.
    Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Worztron

Snacking on Mae's Kitchen No sausage rolls Aldi.
    Very tasty.

I gotta try those rolls. 🍽

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Have they palm oil?

Have they palm oil?

Yes. I've just checked the ingredients list. I bought two boxes.
    I hold my hands up. I seldom buy such products and on this occasion I scanned the ingredients list too quickly looking out for the usual bold print highlighting milk, eggs, cheese. When I do see palm oil listed I always replace the product on the shelf.
    I do know ALDI is a member of RSPO and they state they are committed to the sustainable sourcing of their products.
    I have tweeted ALDI_Ireland to question them whether this product is in line with their ethical stance. If I don't receive a reply I will pursue it further.

Have they palm oil?

This is their answer

Hi there. Thanks for your message and we're sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We're currently experiencing high volumes of contact. We can confirm that Mae's kitchen is and Aldi own brand. As a responsible retailer we are committed to the sustainable sourcing of our products. We are a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), a multi-stakeholder group that set the global standard for sustainable palm oil. Having achieved 100% sustainable palm oil in food, we aim to have 100% sustainable palm oil in non-food products by the end of 2018. In line with the industry, we do not require the RSPO logo to be added on pack. We hope this helps. Thanks again. Steph, Aldi IRL Twitter Team.

• Advertisement

Self-regulation is nonsense regulation.

Advertisement