Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Veggie meatloaf (beans, nuts, courgette, carrot, mushrooms) sweet potato mash and courgette with garlic. Nom (:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

had the first potatos out of my garden last night, Home Guard and they were delicious. Nothing sweeter and they have a lovely waxy texture. They are an early potato, but I was very late planting them this year and been lucky with no blight.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Urban farm have been working on 160 varieties of heirloom potatoes this year http://www.urbanfarm.ie/thank-potato.html and on 3rd october there will be tasting/harvesting etc in association with Boxty Restaurant. I am excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Tried Blazing Salads for the first time, was shocked at the price - €7 for a full box!! But I would have bought a burrito for €6.50 anyway I suppose. It was delicious, and I feel full without that stodgy feeling associated with eating something really carb heavy.

I loved the skinny asian noodles they had, and the dressings are divine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Made a vegetable korma with sweet potatoes, cauliflower, peas and green beans.

I was very pleased with it, it turned out very yummy indeed.
    Actually the first time I'm really happy with a korma - I'm fine making jalfrezis, dahls, matter paneer and Bombay aloos, but kormas have so far never been up to scratch.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Made a vegetable korma with sweet potatoes, cauliflower, peas and green beans.

I was very pleased with it, it turned out very yummy indeed.
    Actually the first time I'm really happy with a korma - I'm fine making jalfrezis, dahls, matter paneer and Bombay aloos, but kormas have so far never been up to scratch.

any tips on making a good korma Shenshen, mine likewise have not been up to scratch

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Feu wrote: »
    any tips on making a good korma Shenshen, mine likewise have not been up to scratch

Well, mine always went wrong with the spicing - they either were spiced too much, or didn't taste of anything much.

Yesterday, I fried half an onion, a 3cm bit of cinnamon, 8 cardamom pods, a tsp of mustard seeds and 2 small bay leaves in some oil until the onion was soft, then added 1 tsp of ground cardamom, 1 tsp of cumin, half a tsp of curry powder, 2 grated cloves of garlic and same amount grated ginger. Let it cook a little longer on low heat, then I added my vegetables, some water and a tin of coconut milk and let it simmer until the veg were done.
    Then I added about 1 tsp of tomato puree, 1 tsp of garam masala, salt and somewhere around 50 to 100g of ground almonds.

And it turned out quite nice, really.

sounds really delish. Will give it a go as described and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Even though it was so hot today, I felt like a roast. Had a lot of veg to use up.

Parboiled and gently roasted potatoes with rosemary.
    Roasted carrots with mustard.
    Roasted courgette with lemon and garlic.
    Light white sauce with broccoli, onion, peas and tomato.

UiuFgwgl.jpg

Finished off with the superb raspberry blondies from the cooking club.

f6VadfKl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Frys Vegetarian burger in a crusty roll with relish and salad. I had a couple of em. Then a Quorn hot dog. And a couple of beers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

every time I look at this thread I get starving and drool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

picked these lads up in Lidl a few weeks ago, deadly! It even recommends on the pack to have them with a cup of tea or coffee!

2vubuhg.jpg

313r7kg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

chinacup wrote: »
    Veggie meatloaf (beans, nuts, courgette, carrot, mushrooms) sweet potato mash and courgette with garlic. Nom (:

that looks yum!can i have your recipe??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

For some reason it won't let me attach this picture so I'll just link you to my instagram instead. A staff meal from a week ago. As you can see I began nibbling it before remembering I had intended to take a photo.

http://instagram.com/p/tORkI0EhK_/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looks like damn good eatin' to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Looks like damn good eatin' to me!

It is. Such good eating I couldn't even touch the salads. Was way too full.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tonight I is making wraps..bad picture to follow. In said wrap is melted vegan cheese, seitan, mixed beans, baba ghanoush, pepper, mushrooms, red onion. Nicest wrap I've ever made. Sealed the bottom of it with melted cheese :D

sv4pfFA.jpg

Also picked up these cool cauliflowers, will roast some of them tomorrow nomom

umsUmNU.jpg

Quinoa salad with asparagus, sundried tomatoes, olives and pine nuts

2aij3vt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I had a mad craving for pancakes last night. These are just buckwheat flour, pinch of cinnamon, pinch of sugar, tsp baking powder and soya milk. Lemon, sugar and agave syrup on top because I couldn't decide.....

xexrDhe.jpg

Just a quick spaghetti bolognesey type thing this evening - tomatoes, tomato puree, onion, garlic, pepper, soya mince and spaghetti with some nutritional yeast on top. Total cost per serving ~€3 maybe.

2ewcsck.jpg

• Advertisement

roast veg lasagne with 'moxarella' on top

2aE2Ls7.jpg

vVZKBqh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

This. Was. Amazing.

Quorn tikka masala (sauce made from scratch :pac: ) with cauliflower mash.

DSC_0244_zps1c52b773.jpg

Tomato soup! I put some 'alpro rice cuisine' in it to make it a bit creamy, think it improved the colour as well. This one definitely has no meatballs :D

rzIgSfy.jpg

great photo LOS!

Thanks Feu I tried to make it look fancy heh

Made this yesterday.....

Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Pie

O7xgekf.jpg

LpVdXkK.jpg

Made it at 2am last night, left it in freezer to set a bit too much, left it out to melt a bit too melty then, it was nice melty though, it'll set again anyway :o

I don't really know who's going to eat it all now :pac:

oh I saw this good tip for separating the coconut fat from the coconut water. Leaving the can in the fridge over night never really worked for me, dunno if the fridge just wasnt up high enough maybe. But if you freeze it instead, it's a lot easier, see here........ http://www.thefitnessdish.com/?p=9293

thanks so much for tip LOS, i recently tried to do separate the creamy bit for a Susan Jane white recipe: http://susanjanewhite.com/coconut-sugar-brownies/ and ended up sorta using half of two tins to get the requisite amount of creamy bit. Maybe the brand i bought was particularly "watery" though.

How banana-y is the above? looks yum, but I don't like an overly banana-y taste

and yes, i literally cannot make something if I've not seen a photo of it. it's a sickness i am aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I made the moxerella on Saturday for the first time. It was very easy and was yummy on my pizza. Sorry no pics, was too hungry to get something to take a pic with!

Thanks for the heads up on a good mozz sub!

Feu wrote: »
    thanks so much for tip LOS, i recently tried to do separate the creamy bit for a Susan Jane white recipe: http://susanjanewhite.com/coconut-sugar-brownies/ and ended up sorta using half of two tins to get the requisite amount of creamy bit. Maybe the brand i bought was particularly "watery" though.

How banana-y is the above? looks yum, but I don't like an overly banana-y taste

and yes, i literally cannot make something if I've not seen a photo of it. it's a sickness i am aware of

I tried and failed so many times with the can in the fridge overnight trick, it never separated for me like that.

Umm it's less bananay than banoffee because of the peanut butter and sugar in there. I don't actually really like too strong a bananay taste, I didn't really wait till I had bananas that were ripe enough because I was too greedy but I'd say if you use bananas that are nice and ripe the taste would be even better. I really liked it though, got through a good bit of it on my own so far anyway :D You could also just make a thinner banana layer!

Roasted tomato pesto pasta and black beans

F581GnL.jpg

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/06/roasted-tomato-basil-pesto/

Makes your kitchen smell so nice roasting tomatoes ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 slavik

I had two wholegrain baps with a mixed salad of cucumber,pepper,red cabbage, onion,tomato,coriander all coated in mango chutney, plenty of black pepper and a little salt. Was delish. Cant post a pic because I don't have enough posts.

Advertisement