Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah they are far and above the best in taste and quality of ingredients imo. The seaweed ones are the nicest.
    Ask in the tesco near you, they might give you more info about when they get them in too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Misa can't resist a bit of tuna & sweetcorn baked potato ;)
    (Vegan)

Pu4Ki8o.jpg

WQNe93c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

did she get any sweetcorn?

Both kitties had sweet sweet corn and a chickpea each. They were loving it.

Vegan burger: cheese, bacon and a fried egg. It was my first time making the egg so it's not looking the best, but here is the recipe http://mouthwateringvegan.com/2013/04/27/the-perfect-vegan-fried-egg-sunny-side-up/ The "white" is tofu which should be cut into a circle, and the "yolk" is some instant mash with some spices including nala kamak/black salt which gives off a sulphuric egg taste. I couldn't believe how similar it was. My yolk was not fried but generally you would make a whole in the middle of the tofu and put the yolk in, with a second runnier yoke on top, splash some oil over the top and it will seal it.

IAtQ908.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Hmm, I usually make a simple enough dahl and it's bouncing with flavour. I fry some onions, garlic and ginger in sesame oil for about 6 minutes, add the lentils, add water and then at that point I add ground chili (sometimes cayenne, sometimes both!), turmeric, cumin, coriander (leaf or ground) and sometimes veg stock. Sometimes half a tin of tomatoes too. Only add salt towards the end otherwise the lentils will harden. I also NEVER add coconut milk/water, I know some people do but personally I find it makes it a little bland and kind of "neutralizes" the other flavours. Apart from that though I don't know...! It's great for me everytime, maybe try adding an extra tsp or 2 of each spice?

Good tip - I was looking for recipes to use up a tin of coconut milk and lentils and I should have gone down the curry route! Lesson learned!

Tonights dinner:

14037758488_ab170c84b7_z.jpg
    Italian herb & rice stuffed Irish tomatoes, with wilted spinach & garlic on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

They come across as v unhealthy, amount of oil and crap coming from them..

that's why i have them about once a month, and treat them as if they are real sausages, fatty, unhealthy, and very tasty!!

Feu wrote: »
    that's why i have them about once a month, and treat them as if they are real sausages, fatty, unhealthy, and very tasty!!

ye exactly, those things are treat things for me too.

Coz sometimes I do make friends with salad............

Y82aYVO.jpg

Take-out sushi! Takeaways absolutely suck here, so I tried something different

7osT1dD.jpg

• Advertisement

Sweet chilli stirfry, broccoli cashews, corn, kidney beans, mushrooms.

NFMjZJ3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I had numbers 4 and 76 in My Thai Vegan Café in Boston. Chicken fingers were nice but a little greasy, plus the main arrived 2 minutes later. It would be great to have something like these on bar food menus! The main was:
    Rice Noodles (Vietnamese Style) stir-fried spicy rice noodles with bean sprouts, onions, carrots, scallions and a choice of veggie-chicken or veggie-beef or veggie-shrimp or tofu or gluten. served with fresh bean sprouts, lime, ground peanuts and a sweet and sour sauce
    I had the veggie chicken, it was also good, I don't usually go for "fake" meats so I said I'd try it for a change. Twas a decent feed.

308455.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

BMJD, what were the chicken fingers made from? My husband is deperate for me to make the veggie equivalent of chicken balls and they look perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Yeah they look savage. I've had a chicken ball craving too lately. Do you know what they were made from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

They were just tofu in batter, deep fried:
    Chicken Fingers (8) tofu marinated with spices then covered with wheat flour and fried to a golden brown

They look really yum mmm.

loveisdivine, --LOS-- put up some great ones on here made from seitan.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90282516&postcount=1237

Weekend breakfast, vegan bacon, mayo, cheese mmm, beans too of course!

scQgBzi.jpg

Lentils, tofu, cashews, corn, peas, onion in sweet and sour sauce (sauce directions in my post above)

ssLBJy8.jpg

but where are you getting your protein? :P

What did ya do to make the bacon? There's a vegan café around the corner from where I live and for brunch they make this massive breakfast which includes "bacon", "sausage", scrambled tofu, beans, hash browns and some toast of course (also coffee with rice milk). The sausage was made from tempeh but the bacon was made from reallly, really thinly sliced aubergine that had been salted and cooked in a way that it was crispy! Like crispy streaks of bacon :) It was delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

There's a vegan café around the corner from where I live and for brunch they make this massive breakfast which includes "bacon", "sausage", scrambled tofu, beans, hash browns and some toast of course (also coffee with rice milk).

Where is this place !?? :D

• Advertisement

What did ya do to make the bacon? There's a vegan café around the corner from where I live and for brunch they make this massive breakfast which includes "bacon", "sausage", scrambled tofu, beans, hash browns and some toast of course (also coffee with rice milk). The sausage was made from tempeh but the bacon was made from reallly, really thinly sliced aubergine that had been salted and cooked in a way that it was crispy! Like crispy streaks of bacon :) It was delicious!

Just bought in a health food shop!
    LOS has some vegan bacon recipes up if you'd like to try them
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057204944

macrubicon wrote: »
    Where is this place !?? :D

It's in Cork city, it's called "My Goodness". It's only semi-permanent in Cork, but pops up randomly for a period of time throughout the country. It's very affordable. Mains are €8 as is that massive brunch. Mains are changeable throughout the week, but what they generally have on offer is spelt pita bread w/grilled marinated tempeh served with a delicious salad which includes red cabbage, carrots and sprouted beans. It's delicious! The second main they usually have alongside it is a mezze plate. My girlfriend always gets it, I forget what's on it but it's an assortment of dips (like hummus and tapenade), served with some bread, salad, finely pressed nut/seed crackers amongst other things... Can't really remember! They also do delicious soups, smoothies and cakes (such as cashew nut cheesecake made with rosewater :)). If you're in Cork I would highly recommend it!
    Just bought in a health food shop!
    LOS has some vegan bacon recipes up if you'd like to try them
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057204944

Looks nom! I love faux meat when it's made with something natural. IE I love tofu, seitan, tempeh, portobello mushrooms etc acting as meat but I really really am not a fan of Quorn chicken and sausages and stuff like that.

oh someone gave me that tip before about aubergine, to salt it and kinda let it dry out first like tofu. I dunno, I'm still scared to try it, I don't like aubergine :/

Tar will you stop with all the promotion, you're worse than a mother lol

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I dunno, I'm still scared to try it, I don't like aubergine :/

Sacrilege. Do you really not enjoy aubergine when it's been slow cooked for AGES, and is all mushy and gooey and absolutely delicious!? That to me is one of my favourite culinary experiences ever :P Gooey roasted stuffed aubergine, er mah gerd. Although I hate when someone messes up cooking aubergine and it's all rubbery and chewy, ewww.

Found a recipe for it, looks easy!

Sacrilege. Do you really not enjoy aubergine when it's been slow cooked for AGES, and is all mushy and gooey and absolutely delicious!? That to me is one of my favourite culinary experiences ever :P Gooey roasted stuffed aubergine, er mah gerd. Although I hate when someone messes up cooking aubergine and it's all rubbery and chewy, ewww.

Found a recipe for it, looks easy!

I don't think I've ever had it like that, I don't think I know how to cook it and anytime I've had it out I didn't like it. On top of that, I had this genius idea one time to slice an aubergine along its length and stuff in between the slices, but it just looked like a giant millipede so I couldn't eat it.........http://i.imgur.com/bIZGLkn.jpg :/

Doesnt actually look bad, the idea behind it is good! I used to do the same with potatoes and put cloves of garlic and stuff between the slices.

Aubergine is definitely not the easiest to cook. I used to hate aubergine because I could never cook it right. The trick is though to give it time, it needs a lot more time to cook than other veg. For example if you're making a stir fry, I would cut up some aubergine either in semi-circles or quarters and then fry it (in sesame seeds and seasme oil!) for a good 10 minutes, before adding it to the main ordeal (ie the veg, tofu and sauce or whatever). I'd recommend making your standard curry but like I said cooking the aubergine for a good bit beforehand and adding it after. It's the same principle as roasting squash then putting it into the soup towards the end, I guess.

Could be that you simply just don't like it though :)

My theory is that nothing that makes baba ganoush could possibly be bad. So people just cook it wrong! I still have faith in it.

My theory is that nothing that makes baba ganoush could possibly be bad. So people just cook it wrong! I still have faith in it.

This is where I tell you that you should like tomatoes because you like tomato ketchup :P

People just cook them wrong, cooked right they are ketchup :pac:

However, they've really come on in my eyes adn I will like them! Bruschetta mmmmm.
    My brother just buys a packet of the mini ones and eats them from the pack, or my dad eats the big ones like an apple, I can't handle that yet.
    I think there is a big difference in the quality of tomatoes in particular, some seem so nice some seem so bitter or something.

• Advertisement

Fd6uLRe.jpg

From wikihow strangely enough..... http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Vegan-Fish-and-Chips Except I just used nori coz that's what I had.

The tartar sauce was really good

Advertisement