Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

ye tofu is one of those things that is a bit scarey at first, can be a hit or a miss when I make it for family. You really have to drain it properly, then you can do any number of things with it. I was the same with tempeh, not really making it right, but since I've started boiling it first it's much nicer. I usually get mine at the asian supermarkets, firm tofu that comes in a block for those kinds of meals, look for non gmo, it's usually a lot cheaper there than normal supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

2 ingredient pizza dough (tub of probiotic yoghurt and 2 cups flour) homemade pizza sauce, chive, garlic, chopped green basil, cheddar and ground almonds to top! Très YUM and easy! Weekend food..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

My vegan meal at the Michelin starred Bon Appetit in Malahide.

Pre starter was an orange, beetroot and pea salad. The peas were crushed with lovely salty nuts in them.

I forgot to take this pic till half way through eating!8CFB9E3B-36E0-4D16-9241-8A797EB8D999_zpsxm9plmrh.jpg

Starter was an heirloom tomato terrine(definitely vegan) with new season asparagus and fresh parsley. My husbands veggie version had a goats cheese foam.CCD61B1C-390B-4A54-8891-70174A1A4227_zpsmydsueoj.jpg

My main was fresh pasta with a spring vegetable broth, saffron foam and a side of green beans. It was so delicious. The husband had a mushroom, onion and goats cheese pastry which he said was amazing, put all those other goats cheese tarts to shame!61D40989-1DCC-4318-B1F4-234BC03F3414_zps54x5hauu.jpg

My dessert was fresh mango, raspberry sorbet and a mango cream. Husband had a white chocolate cannelloni thing that looked equally lovely.AD5F88D2-AFD0-4123-9D30-BB20C5A4D711_zpsctx80rht.jpg

oh very nice ^ dessert too, not bad.

Today was homemade burrito bowl, I was dreaming of boojum's burrito bowls so here's mine:

7SxO8EV.jpg

Hiding underneath is curried bulgar, refried beans, fried peppers, tons of homemade salsa, yummy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I made mushroom kievs, garlic herby butter inside two portobello mushrooms battered and breaded. Along with baby corns, mangetout, asparagus, broccol and chickpeas.

CbOqG8T.jpg

• Advertisement

Veganized a recipe from the cooking club by making beer-battered seitan balls and fried rice without the egg. I'll be making this again, lovely!

tfU4Swj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Oh wow, that looks amazing LOS!

I've never worked with seitan before but I've seen it frozen in the asian supermarket. Must give it a go.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Oh wow, that looks amazing LOS!

I've never worked with seitan before but I've seen it frozen in the asian supermarket. Must give it a go.

it was good, not gonna lie :pac:

I just bought mine in a health shop in the fridge section. Can you still get it frozen in the asian supermarket? Is that in Dublin? The one on Drury St in Dublin used to have these seitan-y chicken style pieces that would have been perfect for chicken balls, but not anymore.

You could also try making it if you can get hold of the flour. I never tried that but it looks simple enough.

'Chickpea tuna' salad sandwich, first time trying it, it really tastes like tuna! I kinda followed this, except I just used chickpeas, homemade mayo + nori (already had enough spicing in the mayo), the nori really made it good I think.

QDedW4V.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

LOS, it's an asian market in Galway that has the frozen seitan. I made the peanut stew from the Vegan Stoner today. It was great.

Imgur images always go back to their original size in posts lately, here's the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

seitan and the peanut stew?! gimme!

Vegan '3 in 1'

Fried rice, cauliflower bites by the vegan zombie and curry sauce

GNSvEIj.jpg

zJDiwCc.jpg

Cut the tofu into steaks and marinated in some lemon juice and a bit of soy sauce and nori. Coated one side in a mixture of breadcrumbs and nori, had trouble with the breadcrumbs coming off but anyway first try. I think it would be better baked, but alas I've no oven

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

looks pretty great for no oven LOS! You're really inspiring me with the recent "fish" posts, especially the chickpea of the sea which i am going to try when i get some nori

Thanks Feu, hopefully I'll be getting a little convection oven soon, my flat has very limited cooking facilities, I basically only have a twin tabletop plug-in hob, with only one ring working. I put that chickpea tuna up on fat vegans on fb and tons of people responded and have been making it and love it, bit sad but it gives me a great little kick :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Mah delicious dinner today! Sweet potato cakes, poached egg, and salad.

Saw the recipe today for the cakes (thanks to another boardsie) and had to try it- t'was delicious!!

9f53e6c9-a20a-49bb-99da-a4e67965de5d_zpsc5152605.jpg

Oh where did you see the recipe? I've a load of sweet potatoes to use up at the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Courtesy of Professey Chin on another thread.

I didn't have any almond flour so just used normal flour. I could really taste the coconut oil though, it was delicious.

I'm sure you could prob use an egg substitute to bind the sweet potato if you wanted it to be vegan.

Salad with quorn sausages and pasta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Looks good chinacup...! I hate the Quorn sausages though, they're really plasticky or rubbery or something. Much prefer the Linda McCartneys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Looks good chinacup...! I hate the Quorn sausages though, they're really plasticky or rubbery or something. Much prefer the Linda McCartneys!

I only ever had the Quorn ones years ago long before I was veg but they didn't taste right to me, sort of chicken-y. Not bad exactly but not how I like my sausages to taste.

Tbh I wasn't expecting much from them, I just get them to have a complete protein for dinner. They didn't taste too bad to me. Linda McCartneys tend to taste better but I think they are unhealthier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

13999971320_2026aebef3_z.jpg
    Using up leftovers: roasted aubergine stuffed with ginger & cinnamon cous cous, garnished with cherry tomatoes

14007513698_f358fcecab_z.jpg
    Creamy coconut dahl with pearl barley

I found this tasty but a little bland - I added curry leaves, coconut oil, ginger, garlic, turmeric, ground coriander, chilli flakes - any ideas as to what could heighten the flavours?

Hmm, I usually make a simple enough dahl and it's bouncing with flavour. I fry some onions, garlic and ginger in sesame oil for about 6 minutes, add the lentils, add water and then at that point I add ground chili (sometimes cayenne, sometimes both!), turmeric, cumin, coriander (leaf or ground) and sometimes veg stock. Sometimes half a tin of tomatoes too. Only add salt towards the end otherwise the lentils will harden. I also NEVER add coconut milk/water, I know some people do but personally I find it makes it a little bland and kind of "neutralizes" the other flavours. Apart from that though I don't know...! It's great for me everytime, maybe try adding an extra tsp or 2 of each spice?

chinacup wrote: »
    Tbh I wasn't expecting much from them, I just get them to have a complete protein for dinner. They didn't taste too bad to me. Linda McCartneys tend to taste better but I think they are unhealthier!

They come across as v unhealthy, amount of oil and crap coming from them. Dees sausages are the way to go.

They come across as v unhealthy, amount of oil and crap coming from them. Dees sausages are the way to go.

I've never seen or heard of these, googled them though and they look good! Where do you buy them?

I've never seen or heard of these, googled them though and they look good! Where do you buy them?

Tesco and dunnes too I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Just made Traceys lunch

Butternut soup : Squash, celery, onion, garlic, potato, soya milk, chilli, garlic, & ginger.

Rhubarb Pot - Roast rhubarb with a little sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Tesco and dunnes too I think

For love nor money I can never find these in Galway Tescos. Even though I know someone who bought them in the headford road Tesco more than once. Checked them the week she told me and none there. :confused: None in the Oranmore one either. I've given up.

Maybe I'll have more luck when I head to the York, according to a list on Dee's facebook there's a Waitrose that's stock's them there. :P

I don't even eat fake meat on a regular basis but I heard so many good things I really want to try these out.

• Advertisement

For love nor money I can never find these in Galway Tescos. Even though I know someone who bought them in the headford road Tesco more than once. Checked them the week she told me and none there. :confused: None in the Oranmore one either. I've given up.

Maybe I'll have more luck when I head to the York, according to a list on Dee's facebook there's a Waitrose that's stock's them there. :P

I don't even eat fake meat on a regular basis but I heard so many good things I really want to try these out.

You can get them in knocknacarra dunnes or evergreen on the corner at the end of shop st! I get them every now and then as a treat but their fairly expensive, I suppose your paying for quality ",)

Advertisement