Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGRH Investigates - younger women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I suggest that you go out on a date with a young man of your own age and that way you can compare and contrast the differences in manner and consideration. That is if you can find one who is not trying to date a 19 year old and will commit to a date which is more then you turning up in the same pub they are in and hanging around until its time to go and only ending up getting a snog on a corner like a teenager cos he still lives at home and you don't feel comfortable enough to invite him back to yours.
    I'd laugh but that's the stereotypical Irish male summed up in a paragraph. Obviously I've never been the stereotypical Irish male which is why I can spot these things.

And last time I dated a 19 year old I wasn't trying to date a 19 year old. Besides, she's almost 22 now.

Seriously, I don't have anything in common with the man half of the initial list and wouldn't go near someone with stuff in common with the woman part of the initial list but it's quite fair to say that there are plenty of silly/stupid easily impressionable people around. Some of them are younger women and plenty of them are older men. Far too many silly people around tbh but that's part of the reason I'm so curmudgeonly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

smashey wrote: »
    If the couple are happy, then it isn't for anybody else to decide what's right and what's wrong. They are both consenting adults and capable of working things out for themselves. They should go for it and stick two fingers up to the begrudgers.
    janeybabe wrote: »
    Ok, I will admit it. I took pity on one of these middle-aged men once. And stronger feeling developed. And I don't know what to do? Should I contact my friendly neighbourhood PI mod?
    Zaph wrote: »
    Well as your friendly neighbourhood PI mod my advice is to go for it. I should admit that I was in a similar position to you, but from the other side. A nubile young hottie took pity on me once. Similarly, stronger feelings developed, to the point that the only way I could be any happier is if she made me a rasher sandwich. Mmmmmm, rashers.....
    sceptre wrote: »
    Far too many silly people around tbh but that's part of the reason I'm so curmudgeonly.

So, you heard it here first folks:
    • Smashey has a soppy side
    • Janeybabe takes pity on older men
    • Sceptre is curmudgeon
    • and Zaph likes rashers to accompany his nubile hotties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

A friend at work is the same age as me (mid twenties) and is with somone in his late forties. He doesn't work, is still married and has 5 kids. His daughter and grandaughter live with them and my colleague pays for everything (rent etc). The daughter's bf then moved in and occasionally pays an electricity bill to help out. Recently, her bf's son got arrested and bailed to their house even though she told his parole officer she was scared of him and didn't want him in the house. She met this guy when she was 19.

Now, it's obvious what he gets out of it, he gets a naive girl he met when she was very young who'll do whatever he tells her but what is she getting out of it?

That kind of situation makes me a whole lot sadder than a guy in an open shirt hitting on twenty year old hotties in short skirts. At least that's not really doing any harm to anyone - unlike this situation :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Physical aspects and little blue pills aside, surely a man of a certain age will have little in common with a woman of that age? Surely he won't be able to converse about Lady GaGa and Balmain Studded Sandals? And I would wager that she wouldn't not know the finer aspects of Makers Mark and the merits of the Bosman Ruling.

Some of us Brothers despite being elderly are still young at heart
    (read that as I have the mentality and sense of responsibility of a 5 year old)

So there is no problem relating to a younger woman, also things like the appreciation of fine alcohol and football can be inflicted shared with the younger person thus making them a more well rounded person, it is a very beneficial relationship

Plus I don't go out of my way to find younger wimmin, they just seem to find me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Ye men defy logic. You get young guys lusting after older women like Miriam O'Callaghan and older guys lusting after girls barely out of their gymslips. When I was in my 20s we steered clear of older guys because 9 times out of 10 they were married, dangling the keys to the Beemer and flashing the (fake) Rolex. It was my friends they wanted. For some funny reason older guys never really looked at me, it was always the younger guys. Discos were a nightmare - in my mid 20s I used to get chatted up by guys who were still at school even though there were plenty of guys there in their 20s. Now I'm pushing 40 guys in their late 20s and early 30s hit on me - hot ones too! According to them I look a lot younger than my chronological age but I think it's the Miriam O'Callaghan thing myself. Meanwhile the men I want, the ones in their late 30s up to early 50s don't know I exist! :confused:

My question is, why do the men in their late 30s up go for girls in their 20s rather than a fighting fit and young looking female of their own age? Is it a number thing, do 40 something men meet for pints and say "lads, I pulled this wan last night and she's only 26" rather than "lads, I pulled this wan last night, she's me own age but doesn't look a day over 30".

Are ye afraid of women your own age because we don't take any crap and aren't afraid to ask for what we want?

The blue tablets were invented so you could keep up with women your own age, not chase after younger ones like dogs chasing fancy cars!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Let's face it, if you were in your early 40's, would you like to be engaging in intimate relations with a woman in her 20's?

To be honest, I'm in my late twenties and would like to be engaging in intimate relations with a woman in her twenties!!

Emme wrote: »
    Ye men defy logic.

Whoa there just one minute. We defy logic? Don't get me started. :D
    Now I'm pushing 40 guys in their late 20s and early 30s hit on me - hot ones too! According to them I look a lot younger than my chronological age but I think it's the Miriam O'Callaghan thing myself.

ORLY? I'll throw in the obligatory, pics or GTFO before somebody else does. Look for the "Know your barflies" thread right here in BGRH.
    My question is, why do the men in their late 30s up go for girls in their 20s rather than a fighting fit and young looking female of their own age? Is it a number thing, do 40 something men meet for pints and say "lads, I pulled this wan last night and she's only 26" rather than "lads, I pulled this wan last night, she's me own age but doesn't look a day over 30".

Are ye afraid of women your own age because we don't take any crap and aren't afraid to ask for what we want?

Well this really is the crux of the matter, isn't it? These are the questions that demand to be answered, and what better place to find those answers than right here on BGRH? Enlightened debate is what we do best.
    The blue tablets were invented so you could keep up with women your own age, not chase after younger ones like dogs chasing fancy cars!:D

Ouch, low blow. Poor Zaph.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ouch, low blow. Poor Zaph.

Thomas Dunne! I am shocked and appalled!

I think middle-aged men are getting a terribly bad name in this thread.

Let's take a real-life example.

Tom Dunne is a middle-aged man. (:D)

He has it all: the beer-gut, the receding hairline, a younger wimmins.

Does the fact that his wimmins is not middle-aged like he is cause any problems?

No, of course it doesn't.

The fact that middle-aged Tom Dunne acts too much like a young person causes more problems.

In closing, I have proven that....well that Tom Dunne is a child in a middle-aged man's body.

Thomas Dunne! I am shocked and appalled!

My work is done here.
    <blah>
    <blah>
    <incessant drivel about something>
    In closing, I have proven that....well that Tom Dunne is a child in a middle-aged man's body.

And you are only finding this out now? Methinks that for some reason you have lost focus on your ability to determine the difference between a middle-aged man and a man of younger years. Why could that be, now?

*readies can of petrol for the flames*

And you are only finding this out now? Methinks that for some reason you have lost focus on your ability to determine the difference between a middle-aged man and a man of younger years. Why could that be, now?

*readies can of petrol for the flames*

Probably because my middle-aged man looks younger than you. :pac:

• Advertisement

Insurgent wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm in my late twenties and would like to be engaging in intimate relations with a woman in her twenties!!

That makes sense.

Probably because my middle-aged man looks less distinguished than you, despite being considerably older.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The answer to that is very simple...

Ego.

FYP.

Whatever. The truth hurts.

smashey wrote: »
    The answer to that is very simple...

Ego.

Ego, the size of which increases directly in proportion to the increase in the size of the beer belly, and the decrease in the size and viability of other body parts...:D

Only joking :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Some men are scared of 'independant' women.

I enjoy the company of a woman who can 'make up her own mind'. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That trait is something which is not necessarily age related but you would be right about some men being shall we say 'put off' women who have a strong personality and know their own minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I keep on seeing references to middle-aged here. What counts as middle-aged these days?

And I'd prefer a range if you please, none of this "it depends on <something> factors" if you were thinking of going there.

I'm 34. Am I middle-aged? I don't particularly care as there isn't an yes or no answer that will change my age (that's what the skin cream made from embryos would be for), I'm just curious. I'd like to arrange having some money before my mid-life crisis is due, that's all.

That trait is something which is not necessarily age related but you would be right about some men being shall we say 'put off' women who have a strong personality and know their own minds.

I'm with P.C. on this one. I like a strong woman who can make up her own mind and knows what she wants (and is a dab hand at making rasher sandwiches, but that is for another discussion).
    I keep on seeing references to middle-aged here. What counts as middle-aged these days?

And I'd prefer a range if you please, none of this "it depends on <something> factors" if you were thinking of going there.

I'm 34. Am I middle-aged? I don't particularly care as there isn't an yes or no answer that will change my age (that's what the skin cream made from embryos would be for), I'm just curious. I'd like to arrange having some money before my mid-life crisis is due, that's all.

Whoa there sceptre, no need to panic.

You are like me, just a young fella. Middle-aged is anything north of 40, so you don't qualify.

Start saving now.

/ignores Tom Dunne's attempts at flattery.

You've a good 6 years or more before you have to be worried about that, same as myself.

There is something to be for the bounce and enthusiasm of a young lady in her early 20s, I must admit.

• Advertisement

*bounces*

There is something to be for the bounce and enthusiasm of a young lady in her early 20s, I must admit.

Excuse me, gentlemen of a certain age still have their bounce too, you know?

*bounce*

*bounce*

In fairness, this is true.

Tom Dunne has an impressive....bounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

I've being reading this thread with interest as wimmin with an older Man.
    Tom Dunne. you are a very funny man. I was 22 ( a mere slip of a girl) when I started going out with himself who was 31 at at the time. The poor fella got awful stick from his mates but 11 years later we're still together and got engaged recently. So Hurray for BGRH !

*bounce*

*Bounce*

*Thump*

*Crash*

*Ouch*

Nope wont be trying that on the office chair again

Who says you have to have a mid-life crisis? OK, some men have it, but not all. It's a good way of selling Harley-Davidsons, red Ferraris, expensive gadgets, dodgy looking leather jackets and jeans that don't fit properly and show off your bum crack. And blue tablets.:D

Slaygal wrote: »
    Tom Dunne. you are a very funny man.

Hmmm, how do I take that? Not that I haven't heard that before, but it's all about context.

Now I'm worried.
    Slaygal wrote: »
    I was 22 ( a mere slip of a girl) when I started going out with himself who was 31 at at the time. The poor fella got awful stick from his mates but 11 years later we're still together and got engaged recently. So Hurray for BGRH !

So, speaking from the horses mouth, metaphorically of course, what attracted you to the older man?

Was it the fact that you were advanced for your years, therefore sought a man who was also of advanced years? Was it because you couldn't handle the juvenile, loutish shennanigans of the average 20-something Irish man? Or was it because daddy didn't pay you enough attention when you were growing up, so you are now festering cauldron of emotions, riddled with conflict, needing the attention of an older man while despising him at the same time?

Or was he just great guy, you hit it off, and the rest, as they say, is history?

Who says you have to have a mid-life crisis? OK, some men have it, but not all. It's a good way of selling Harley-Davidsons, red Ferraris, expensive gadgets, dodgy looking leather jackets and jeans that don't fit properly and show off your bum crack. And blue tablets.:D

True I got mine out of the way early and started mine just before I turned 30 although I have managed to do without most of what you mentioned above

Who says you have to have a mid-life crisis? OK, some men have it, but not all.

I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of men will. It's in our genes. What with us being so good at talking about our emotions and stuff.
    It's a good way of selling Harley-Davidsons, red Ferraris, expensive gadgets, dodgy looking leather jackets and jeans that don't fit properly and show off your bum crack. And blue tablets.:D

For crying out loud, will you leave Zaph alone? He doesn't use the blue tablets any more.

Though, I believe he is contemplating a Harley. Oh dear.....

• Advertisement

I think that the middle age cirises had been put of by people settling down later tbh, it used to be that by his mid 20s a guy would be in a settled down relationship and maybe there'd be kids and by the time he'd hit his mid 40s and the kids grew up or something triggered a yearning to be more free in his life
    he'd start trying to claw back his youth and trying to be hip, young and cool again.

And then you have men who know such things are folly and never stopped being young in the ways that matter and choose to enjoy the better pleasure in life like a quiet pint and several rasher sambos knowing that staying at their own pace and being steady will bring more pleasure and rewards then prancing about in a night club in a salmon coloured shirt thinking they are in mood for dancing when they just end up looking like an elliptic octopus having a fit.

It is the steady, stately gravitas of such a man who is a comfort to a young woman as they will weather the little tantrums, nod their head, give her a hug and then send her of to make rasher sambos with a pat on the ass making her feel needed, wanted and giving her something productive to do while she calms down and then she can bask in the glow of a job well done as he enjoys the effort she put into making the sambos and all is right with the world, until the next time.

Advertisement