Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

Metro North, Dart Underground will go ahead, says Ross

From the Irish Times.

Seems like usual, all talk, no action anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's a bit like saying that California will have another massive earthquake...yeah no ****, but when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Minister for Transport says projects are part of ‘long-term vision’, have not been ‘shelved’

Ah, long-term vision. You might be interested in this 1985 podcast including plans for the plans for cycleways along Dublin's rivers and canals "if there is the vision"http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2013/0527/647427-radio-documentary-bicycle-bell-bike-saddle-jim-lockhart/

What's this going to go towards?
    Outlining his department’s “long-term vision”, Mr Ross said in the short term the State would spend €595 million on transport this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,581 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

What's this going to go towards?

PSO subsidy
    New buses for Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann PSO fleets
    City Centre resignalling project
    Phoenix Park Tunnel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

The Luas Green Line enabled a large amount of house/apartment building along its line as well as commercial development (Sandyford, Dundrum town centre). The Dart Underground would do for West Dublin what the Green Line did for South Dublin. Surely there is a potential partnership between developers/business and government on this? I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that this is what happened with the Green Line?

Transport money also goes towards mending roads (not around here, mind), fixing signage, building new roads, buying replacements for decrepit buses etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The existential question if something is postponed for all time is it really cancelled or still just postponed?

The existential question if something is postponed for all time is it really cancelled or still just postponed?

Perhaps it's Schrödinger's Faoi Thalamh?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Metro North, Dart Underground will go ahead, says Ross

From the Irish Times.

Seems like usual, all talk, no action anytime soon.

I watched it live this morning. A woeful contribution from Ross. He looked about as interested as a cod in a chip shop. MN and DU were mere fleeting moments. The committee were only interested is the usual guff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

and I am married to a Transgender Bigfoot from Sirius.

No, really!

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    and I am married to a Transgender Bigfoot from Sirius.

No, really!

Well she or he is having an affair!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Just got the latest quarterly Crossrail email update. Every time I get one it makes me sad that we haven't the vision in this country politically or publicly to want this type of infrastructure. And Dart underground or Metro North aren't even in the same league as Crossrail. But for what either would do for Dublin they are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I see that the NTA has put forward a plan to close the Merrion gates and build a flyover near by.

The Journal has it here.

t basically what I thought might happen once DU was essentially cancelled, they're breaking it down into smaller parts and dealing with them as seperate projects. I'd imagine that all the level crossings that are required to be removed for DU will be infrastructure projects over the next few year, until eventually they can come back with a "revised" DU.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I see that the NTA has put forward a plan to close the Merrion gates and build a flyover near by.

The Journal has it here.

t basically what I thought might happen once DU was essentially cancelled, they're breaking it down into smaller parts and dealing with them as seperate projects. I'd imagine that all the level crossings that are required to be removed for DU will be infrastructure projects over the next few year, until eventually they can come back with a "revised" DU.

This is being done as part of the East Coast Cycle Route Project rather than as a rail based project.

Deedsie wrote: »
    It's a rail based project in that it will improve rail times, remove the regular trucks and cars hitting the Merrion gates. It is an infrastructure project in that it will remove a traffic pinch point and provide a safe route for cyclists.

Also a tourism project in that it will be a major part of a Dublin Bay Greenway.

The point I was making is that it is not coming from Irish Rail or the rail budget - it's part of the cycle scheme.

That's an important difference in these days of having to fight for funding.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can we please continue chat about the Merrion Gates in this thread I have purposely created for the scheme :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057663978

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Merrion Gates isn't on the DU route. Still, great news for the Dart system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Merrion Gates isn't on the DU route. Still, great news for the Dart system.
    The DU will facilitate the creation of two major DART lines - Hazelhatch to Balbriggan/Drogheda (via the proposed tunnel) and Bray/Greystones to Maynooth (via the Loop Line). LCs are the main restriction on capacity regarding the latter route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Middle Man wrote: »
    The DU will facilitate the creation of two major DART lines - Hazelhatch to Balbriggan/Drogheda (via the proposed tunnel) and Bray/Greystones to Maynooth (via the Loop Line). LCs are the main restriction on capacity regarding the latter route.

Right, DU is on the other route but all 4 branches have capacity issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Right, DU is on the other route but all 4 branches have capacity issues.

The project was to include the rolling stock for and electrification of Maynooth as well as crossing closures on all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not sure if it has been posted before but there's an article on todays indo about scaling back the plans.
    I know it's a huge capital expenditure but when will the powers that be learn that building half arsed projects only costs more in long term. Build it right from the start.

Dart Underground plan scaled down to slash costs

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dart-underground-plan-scaled-down-to-slash-costs-35174679.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

jvan wrote: »
    Not sure if it has been posted before but there's an article on todays indo about scaling back the plans.
    I know it's a huge capital expenditure but when will the powers that be learn that building half arsed projects only costs more in long term. Build it right from the start.

Dart Underground plan scaled down to slash costs

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dart-underground-plan-scaled-down-to-slash-costs-35174679.html

Do we ever learn in this country?

Let's build a half arsed solution to save pennies and then come back and pay millions to rectify the mistake. (M50, Cork South Ring Road responsible for 1.4bn in the last 10 years alone)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

But the project was shelved in 2015 amid concern that passenger numbers would not materialise.

What revisionist twaddle is this?

MrMorooka wrote: »
    What revisionist twaddle is this?

Short sighted pr crap from government ministers who don't have the will or guts to back infrastructure projects that will only enhance the country.

Short sighted pr crap from government ministers who don't have the will or guts to back infrastructure projects that will only enhance the country.

But those words are those of the journalist Paul Melia who should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

This story is pure bank holiday space filler, no?
    I can't find anything new in it.
    Repetition of one of the most bizarre ideas I have ever seen: the 'cul de sac' tunnel to Pearse too.

lxflyer wrote: »
    But those words are those of the journalist Paul Melia who should know better.

Sorry, thought it was paraphrasing the reason given in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Don't worry folks. They won't build even this half assed thing.

• Advertisement

You are right. They won't.

Advertisement