Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finally got to spend some quality time in the old gamesroom, played an hour of Psychonauts, excellent fun, big ass game though!
    I would say that the game, while impressive, is in some real need of polish to bring it up to todays standards.
    So much going on on-screen, the camera just clips through the scenery hopefully ending up looking at your character at a useful angle.
    Still, very good fun and a polygonal game that will, I feel, stand the test of time.
    The Dance Party rips off Dee-Lite all over the place!

After that, down to the underused 360 and what to play?
    Flicked through XBLA and realised that I have an underplayed Crysis just sitting there, so back into it I go and, suddenly, and hour and a half disappear, just like that!
    Pity it didn't get a full release on the 360, the download is great but, being an old skool head, I'd rather a physical copy.
    Also, it may have spurred them on to fix the various graphic issues the game has, minor though they may be.
    It's scale is amazing though, certainly the expanse of each level, the number of approaches to each mission goal, puts the excellent Crysis 2 into the ha-penny place!

I reckon I'll be going back to it this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That bit in Mila's dance party with the room full of burning children scared the absolute crap out of me. So unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Spent a bit of time on Rogue Squadron 2 on Gamecube last night, pretty decent I must say.

Other than that its a mix of Skyrim (still), Resistance 3 and various Saturn shumps.

Saturn has become my 'default' console to fire up after spending 10 minutes looking at the shelf humming and hawing over what to play next.

Got heaps of PS3/X360 stuff I bought ages ago to get through yet but as life is too short for bad games (yes they do exist) I can see some getting permanently shelved.

Master of the Universe

Skyrim, now there's a game I've made a few attempts at playing but could just not get into it. Found it boring beyond belief!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I really disliked Skyrim too. Pretty world in a formulaic fantasy sort of way, but vapid beyond belief. The combat and level design are so frustrating I simply couldn't continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Spent a quick half hour giving Mole Mania on the GB a bash last night. Nice little Puzzler although the first stage didn't quite grab me, will give it another go though, defo one for partial distraction when the Housemates are watching the usual ****e on TV.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I really disliked Skyrim too. Pretty world in a formulaic fantasy sort of way, but vapid beyond belief. The combat and level design are so frustrating I simply couldn't continue.

That sums it all up really. The combat (well the melee stuff in the beginning) was enough to turn me off the game for good. Just felt like I was randomly beating at the guys with a club.

It was especially annoying after playing something with such finesse as Dark Souls!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Spent a bit of time on Rogue Squadron 2 on Gamecube last night, pretty decent I must say.

It looks great but, doesn't the flight model kinda confound all know physics and logic?
    I mean, play it for long enough and you get used to it, in a Daytona USA kinda way, but really, it's bizarre.
    It's only when you go back to it after a prolonged break that you find it weird.

But Rogue Squadron 2 is Ico in comparison to Rebel Strike: Rogue Squadron 3, that game is just plain broken, the on foot sections are dreadful.
    That said, the Speeder Bike scene on Endor and the AT-ST levels are almost worth slogging through the rest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rogue Squadron games are pale imitations of the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games. I kill for another one of those :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Its flying around it space shooting stuff while pretending to be a hero - I try not to take it too seriously :)

X Wing and Tie Fighter were amazing back in the day alright, but have't looked at them in years - wonder how they've aged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Its flying around it space shooting stuff while pretending to be a hero - I try not to take it too seriously :)

X Wing and Tie Fighter were amazing back in the day alright, but have't looked at them in years - wonder how they've aged.

Surprisingly well. Considering you are never that close to the enemies to see how awfully rendered they are it still holds up quite well.

When you do get close up it's not pretty. It was one of the first games to use Gouraud shading which will tell you how old it is. Last time I saw that was in Legend of Dragoon and that looked terribly dated on release!

I had a big grá for X-Wing Alliance, a single player game, mostly, while X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter got most of the kudos and was mostly for those with friends :(
    Tie Fighter was amazing, not only because of the flight sim type treatment of a franchise that, up to that point, was treated as a source of toys, but also because it allowed you to kick smug rebel scum ass up and down the galaxy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Rogue Squadron and Rogue Squadron 2 are both fantastic games.

The only reason to get Rogue Squadron 3 though is to play RS2 levels in co-op splitscreen.

I have them, as well as the Naboo game for the N64, the N64 titles have not aged well, not well at all :(
    It's like playing an old PC game, but you're wearing a motorcycle helmet with the visor down at the time... and the visor is smeared with vaseline.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've been tackling a host of puzzlers the last couple of days. I've been sinking far too much time into Marble Madness (NES), considering you can finish the whole thing in less than five minutes. I've also been alternating between Tetris (NES) and Tetris DS (NDS, go figure), finding the latter to be infinitely more playable and intuitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Fired up Strikers 1999 in............... SHMUPMAME!! tonight, I'm taking part in STGT'12 so I'll be playing this all week. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Fired up Strikers 1999 in............... SHMUPMAME!! tonight, I'm taking part in STGT'12 so I'll be playing this all week. :)

Well well well, I thought Mame was a big no no in the 'yang household hmm? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Well well well, I thought Mame was a big no no in the 'yang household hmm? :p

'tis, but alas I don't have the game and I need to submit scores for the team. :(

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I've been tackling a host of puzzlers the last couple of days. I've been sinking far too much time into Marble Madness (NES), considering you can finish the whole thing in less than five minutes. I've also been alternating between Tetris (NES) and Tetris DS (NDS, go figure), finding the latter to be infinitely more playable and intuitive.

The definitive way to play Tetris is a Gameboy Pocket and a well worn GB cart of Tetris, in my opinion.
    Some may prefer the original console as well but the Pockets screen is so much better and the battery life excellent.

I have the NES version as well though, really like it.
    I always find that the older the franchise gets the more bells and whistles devs feel they need to add to keep things fresh. So I lose touch with newer variations as they drift further from the core mechanics. Same thing happened with Puzzle Booble, it peaked at Puzzle Bobble 2 and gone downhill since, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think the DS touch-up was brilliantly done, you've got the bare-game and a bunch of variants, to justify the price-tag. The actual game retains the core while adding a bit more flexibility and notcompromising the difficulty, such as the ability to keep a tetrino in motion without it immediately locking, invaluable when it comes to level 15-onwards, and you can swap your current and next blocks, so you've can always have a long vertical block in reserve, handy for a Tetris.

I really like how they added depth to an already evergreen concept, without getting bogged down in the gimmicks that plagued every iteration since the definitive GB port, to the point that most other versions just seem that bit antiquated in comparison.

Oh, and it's got the most awesome backgrounds going, with each level having a NES classic playing on the top-screen and suitable soundtrack. Well, Mario Bros. 'til about level 10, then it mixes it up a bit.

• Advertisement

I must pick it up.
    I have the XBLA updates of both Pacman and Galaga, and I have them for the 3DS as well, not bad at all.
    I also have both Space Invaders Extreme games for the DS, very excellent indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Played a bit of "Extreme Violence" on the Amiga 600 (via my new HxC floppy device) earlier with the GF. Played so much of this shareware game years ago when it came on a floppy disk stuck to Amiga Format or maybe Amiga Power.

Great simple fun 2 player death-match game. Still plays as well today as it did in 92-93 when I got my hands on it first.
    Highly recommended if you've never had the pleasure.

dsc2359w.jpg

http://www.lemonamiga.com/reviews/view.php?id=225

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

edit: Wrong thread! :)

Just had one of those typical boss fight moments Playing Legend of the Mystical Ninja on the Dingoo during my Lunch break. Last night I couldn't beat the Dish spinning wagon at the end of Level 1 (pathetic I know) tried countless times, no go.

First try today beat her like she wasn't even there. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Does anybody know why that happens so often?

Happens to me a lot and there's actually a very good reason. When you're asleep your mind will go through the motions of you failing at tasks from the day before and when you wake up you'll have better reactions and have the patterns memorised :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Happens to me a lot and there's actually a very good reason. When you're asleep your mind will go through the motions of you failing at tasks from the day before and when you wake up you'll have better reactions and have the patterns memorised :)

AH ha! very interesting. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Not really retro,But I am getting back to the world of Skyrim.
    Definitely my game of the year.

248 hours played so far,the game that keeps giving, and I haven't even looked at the DLC yet.
    My bird hates it with a passion:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Had a game of Aliens on the cab tonight. Got 638,500 which isn't too scabby for one credit I think. Haven't played it in quite a while.

Playing the current gen remake of Chronicles of Riddick and I was initially enjoying it. Then you get to the mines and the game has two major flaws. First it turns stealth based and if you make a stealth based game your stealth system has to be considerably better than 'flakey'. Also there's some really bad signposting, or well lack of it which means checking a faq was essential at points to avoid frustration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Currently playing Super Ghouls and Ghosts after a bit of a funk gaming wise, where I hadn't played much in a bit.
    Though I was superfly at it as well. Got through first two stages without a hitch, killed first and second boss without getting touched and I was cocky as something very cocky!
    The third stage soon shattered my sense of invincibility, when I started haemorrhaging lives before I even got to the spikey conveyor-belts.
    After first loss of life my confidence was shot and I was making stupid mistakes and got stuck with the flame for a while also.
    Love the game though and it is right up there as one of my all time favourites.

Advertisement