Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Started Yoshi's Island this afternoon. I've played some ports of it a couple of times, but never the real version on real hardware. It's such a beautiful looking game! Finding it hard to think of a Snes game which looks nicer.

I was sitting right up in front of the big Trinitron like a kid on Christmas morning. The art with the scanlines is just amazing.

Gameplay wise, it's a lot of fun. Not better than Super Mario World, but if anything, I think that's down to them adding too many controls. The whole egg throwing thing takes away from it a bit. Kind of reminds me of the water cannon in Mario Sunshine.

Will definitely play through it completely though. The battery still works in the cart thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I might be spending next week playing Salmonhamburger 2. :(

For now though, still playing V-V.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Rendeva

I'm replaying Metal Gear 2 on an MSX emulator, and Fire Emblem : Seisen no Keifu (Genealogy of the Holy War) on a SNES emulator at the moment, both brilliant games.

For a game from the early nineties, Seisen no Keifu really is stunningly intricate, and would recommend it to any JRPG or Strategy fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Currently playing Goldeneye on the N64. Never played it before... can you believe that?

Really enjoying it so far even though it is limited but I can imagine how revolutionary it was for it's time.

Master of the Universe

Just gave the region modded Gamecube a bash. Can finally play that Jap version of Wave Race! Great fun.

Only thing - after playing absolutely everything through RGB now, I seriously just cannot look at composite anymore. It seriously hurts my eyes. The colours in Wave race are so bright, the dot crawl is horrendous. The reds bleed into the blue and back again. Had to sit really far back from the TV to take some of the edge off.

Then I remembered it outputs S video! Okay so no RGB, but I've been hearing good things about S video from the N64 from Retr0 so this should be a good substitute.

Have a cable on the way anyway. Hopefully it makes a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started playing Kingdom Hearts 2. Two hours in and it's quite possibly one of the worst games I've ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just gave the region modded Gamecube a bash. Can finally play that Jap version of Wave Race! Great fun.

Only thing - after playing absolutely everything through RGB now, I seriously just cannot look at composite anymore. It seriously hurts my eyes. The colours in Wave race are so bright, the dot crawl is horrendous. The reds bleed into the blue and back again. Had to sit really far back from the TV to take some of the edge off.

Then I remembered it outputs S video! Okay so no RGB, but I've been hearing good things about S video from the N64 from Retr0 so this should be a good substitute.

Have a cable on the way anyway. Hopefully it makes a big difference.

I can also vouch for S-Video on as I've an NTSC N64. It's damn good enough for me not to bother RGB modding it. Composite be damned. Now, if I could only get a PAL RGB cable for my GC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

give Odin Sphere or Rogue Galaxy a try if you haven't before.

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    I can also vouch for S-Video on as I've an NTSC N64. It's damn good enough for me not to bother RGB modding it. Composite be damned. Now, if I could only get a PAL RGB cable for my GC :(

Brilliant to hear! There's an S video input on the front of this TV. I have a vague memory of using it, but not sure what for! Hope I haven't repurchased a cable I already have :D

Was looking at those component GC cables again as a matter of interest. If there was one item I would go back in time and buy a palette of it's them. €100+ each on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

EnterNow wrote: »
    Now, if I could only get a PAL RGB cable for my GC :(

Is it a PAL GC ? I'm using the RGB SNES cable on my Gamecube and it works perfectly.

• Advertisement

Is it a PAL GC ? I'm using the RGB SNES cable on my Gamecube and it works perfectly.

Yeah PAL GC. Weird, as the pinouts are different between the two consoles. I've a PAL Snes RGB cable which works fine on the Snes, but my PAL GC cable has horrific dot crawl & over saturated image. I tried another but it was more or less the same. Seems a 3rd party cable these days can't sync the RGB signal on the GC...official are the only recommended ones

Pinout is the same, although not all signals are used on all Nintendo system.

Sounds like you need a cable with the 220uF caps installed. 'Some' PAL Gamecubes have a 1V DC bias on the RGB signals, if this is not removed (via the caps) your TV is getting a signal swinging from 0.3V to 1.7V (instead of -0.7V to 0.7V) which results in the overly saturated image if the TV can't compensate.

The cable I'm using doesn't appear to have any caps installed, at least not it the SCART plug anyway.

Pinout is the same, although not all signals are used on all Nintendo system.

Nope, the pinouts are different, well not the pinouts per say but the component layouts definitely seem to differ.

snespal.png

gamecube.png
    Sounds like you need a cable with the 220uF caps installed. 'Some' PAL Gamecubes have a 1V DC bias on the RGB signals, if this is not removed (via the caps) your TV is getting a signal swinging from 0.3V to 1.7V (instead of -0.7V to 0.7V) which results in the overly saturated image if the TV can't compensate.

I first tried a Blaze 3rd party scart which didn't work correctly, then I bought a PAL RGB fromconsolegoods which is made exactly as per the specs above, still not correct. There's obviously some other trickery going on in the real cable. Either that or my Samsung tv has issues with the way sync is generated on a pAL GC.
    The cable I'm using doesn't appear to have any caps installed, at least not it the SCART plug anyway.

Where did you get it?

Console pinouts are the same :)

I got the cable from Consolegoods - bought it as a SNES RGB cable. But it doesn't have any resistors or capacitors on the RGB signals, only a single resistor to pin 16 of the SCART (fast blanking). Unless the resistors are installed in the Nintendo connector - which I really doubt.

Apparently there are a few variants of the PAL Gamecube with different video encoders, some have a DC bias on the signals which need the caps to remove others have a signal level too high which need the resistors to reduce the level.

You're best bet to open up the SCART header and add the caps or resistors manually and see how things look.

I really should stick a scope on the consoles to see what the signals actually look like at some point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got the cable from Consolegoods - bought it as a SNES RGB cable. But it doesn't have any resistors or capacitors on the RGB signals, only a single resistor to pin 16 of the SCART (fast blanking). Unless the resistors are installed in the Nintendo connector - which I really doubt.

You need to take those resistors out otherwise the cable won't work on a SNES.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Playing Darius Gaiden AND Gradius 4 AND Raiden III.....

I think I prefer Raiden III!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Playing Darius Gaiden AND Gradius 4 AND Raiden III.....

I think I prefer Raiden III!

troll.png

Admittedly Gradius 4 is the weakest of the series. Go Play Gradius Gaiden, Gradius V and G Darius!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pyongyang wrote: »
    troll.png

Your pic/link didn't work for me - I'm guessing even the internet didn't like you disrespecting Raiden. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I have Gradius and Gradius II somewhere, on a flash cart, also have Gradius III and IV on that collection disk for the PS2 and I have Gradius V as well, properly owned on the PS2 and a dodgy mumble mumble on the Saturn.
    I have played Gradius Gaiden and it's fun.
    I have G-Darius on the G-Net and it's lovely, I remember having it when it was launched on the PS but, along with most of my collection, it was sold on.
    I have rectified this error and a copy should be with by the weeks end!

Still prefer Raiden III though!
    Although, Raiden DX is pretty amazing, especially considering all the content in there.

• Advertisement

Ahhh!

Damn you Retr0!!!

I just bought Gradius Gaiden for the PS after a quick look at how much it was!!!

Got it, including delivery, for €22, not bad at all I think.

But I am completely prepared for Pyongyang to tell me I wuz robbed :(

That's actually a decent price... depending on what version it is. :pac:

Pyongyang wrote: »

That's actually a decent price... depending on what version it is. :pac:

I knew there would be some cavet I wasn't aware of, bugger!
    Spill it now mountain lodge man!

It's the Playstation The Best edition, same cover as first imprint but with a white border.
    gradius-gaiden-playstation-the-best-.jpg
    Just so Pyong can leave be devastated...

Master of the Universe

He almost threw himself off a bridge when he heard my Souky was a greatest hits version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Disgaea 4 addiction has settled in. Grinding the **** out of the item world and Mt Ordeal 4. Won't quit until at least my Desco is level 9999.

When I close my mind all I see are stats and levels :P

See you in 4000 hours!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    See you in 4000 hours!

Ah they've gotten a little better since the early days - plenty of shortcuts to get you up to the higher tiers in less time. Of course, they've added ludicrous amounts of increasingly complex systems to occupy you when you get there. Still amongst the most time intensive games outside of the MMORPG world, but it's just so much fun too! I'd say you'd really like the series if you ever get around to it.

I tried playing La Pucelle Tactics but couldn't get into it. I was more about levelling up than actual tactics. I'll have to give disgaea a go some time since I hear it's a lot better and different. Maybe one of the portable versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I tried playing La Pucelle Tactics but couldn't get into it. I was more about levelling up than actual tactics. I'll have to give disgaea a go some time since I hear it's a lot better and different. Maybe one of the portable versions.

Most of NIS games are about level difference as opposed to stuff like positioning.

Advertisement