Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I started Dragon Warrior Monsters (GBC) at some stage over the weekend. I return to civilization at some stage in the last two hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Started Crysis on the 360 as well, the original game that's downloadable from XBLA, a tough title, certainly more demanding than Crysis 2. Looks great as well, some natural limits compared to the top notch PC editions, but it is a good looking game.

It's highly impressive they got it running on a console, a 360 into the bargain...but there's a gulf between it & the pc version, rather than a 'natural limit' :)

I know a lot of people hate the term 'consolised', but my god Crysis 1 is a prime example of it. The simplified controls, the heavily lesser graphics...still, a good tech exercise if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    True. And mines the best.

I agree......yours is the best iyo, imo, tbqh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat Star

I started playing Donkey Kong Country 3 again recently, I finally want to 105% this son of a biscuit. Completed the first world (Lake Orangatanga has got to be the best name for a jump n' run world EVER) and got every bonus barrel and DK coin in it.

Especially looking forward to the secret world, which I actually never entered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished Sly Raccoon HD over the course of a few days, and I actually really enjoyed it (bar the one hit kills... grrr....). Surprisingly clever mix of platformer and stealth, with some really fun bosses. I've heard the sequels are massive improvements, so part 2 is downloading slooowllly.

Decided to commit to Shenmue 2, and it's such a fun, eccentric game. Have to laugh at the localisation efforts... finally understanding some of the Shenmue memes. If I ever go to Hong Kong, I'm never getting a job as a ****ing Lucky Hit clerk. "And the rule is..." Probably should be playing the original Japanese voicetrack on the Dreamcast instead of the Xbox English one :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Bit of a PC Engine night with some Darius Plus, Darius Alpha and Splatterhouse action followed by some Street Fighter III - 3rd Strike, Shikigami no Shiro and Chase H.Q on the Egret 3.

Dear god Darius Alpha is a pile of crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve SI wrote: »
    Dear god Darius Alpha is a pile of crap.

It's no Gradius.

Disengage the trollmobile!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

I'm playing Ketsui on the Arcade and getting my ass kicked as usual , I am in a constant of panic from the half of level 3 attack boat onslaught up to the rare occasion I make it to the level 4 Mid Boss .

I like it though , a lot !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played a bit of Under Defeat HD last night. Really great port but I think there's a little more slow down in the Arcade version than the original DC version although I can't confirm it. The New mode is in proper widescreen but takes a while to get used to since it feels like you turn too far due to the new aspect ratio. They also upped the difficulty considerably in this mode. There's more enemies, bullets are faster and there's more of them and the support pods take longer to charge up and disappear quicker.

Played some Castlevania 3. Nothing else to say except that this game is superb and the PAL version is a 50Hz crime.

Also played some Legacy of the Wizard. It's quite an early action RPG for the NES but a really good one once you have either the manual or look up what the different characters and items do. It's tough and has a huge game world. It's a Falcom game so the music is of course excellent. There's a great episode of Game Centre CX with this as the challenge game.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

By what means are you playing Under Defeat HD? Do you have a Jap 360? Or was it via a modded one?

I'd love to pick that up as it's one of my favourite SHMUPS but I've no way of playing the thing.

I'm playing the hell out of Alien versus Predator myself. Such an amazing game. I think you said you can 1cc that Retr0? Might try to work towards that myself.

I wish all side scrolling beat em ups had that level of depth. If you pick Linn you'd almost think you were playing a Capcom fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

PS3 edition is region free.

Yep playing the PS3 version of it, picked it up in New York for $85 + tax which was a fair price considering it costs the same without shipping online. Definitely worth picking up and it makes up for me not picking it up on DC when I had the chance.

As for AvsP I came very close to 1cc'ing it. I had the skills to do it and was having the game of my life in the omni plex during a summer camp visit before I was forcefully dragged away from the machine on the second last stage to watch Batman Forever. You should check out the youtube videos of it, there's a lot of skill to playing the game that you wouldn't realise especially when playing as the female character.

Master of the Universe

I've had Knights of Valour for my PGM system for ages now, but have never finished the thing - even on freeplay.

Tried again tonight, but after what felt like about an hour, I failed.

The sprites are lovely - later in the game there are even these big excellent tiger/bear/puma sprites. It's great looking in parts.

The problems - really bad music. Awful in fact. Makes it very hard to sit through.

But worst of all, the bloody flashy images!

When you beat a boss, the whole screen flashes blue/yellow/red, similar to the colour effect which gave kids fits while watching pokemon.

The level I had to quit on (I'd never gotten in this far) was on fire, with flashing flames in the background. At this point I had a headache and just had to turn it off.

It's a real shame as apart from all of those above issues, it's a lot of fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As for AvsP I came very close to 1cc'ing it. I had the skills to do it and was having the game of my life in the omni plex during a summer camp visit before I was forcefully dragged away from the machine on the second last stage to watch Batman Forever.

You poor poor b@st@rd...
    No wonder you're the psychological mess we all are familiar with now....

With this news I resolve to be nicer to you, even if you do like 6/10 games....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Summer of SNES yet again. Blasting through Donkey Kong Country 3 at the moment. It will never outshine DKC2 but it's a great game in itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Had a blast of Ikaruga and Starfox Assualt on the cube earlier. I hate tanks!

After the SFC arrived today, I played SNES games for the first time @ 60 Hz non-emulated.

Super Mario Kart @ 60Hz + 150cc = pure awesomeness! :D

Played Pilotwings also which I thoroughly enjoyed.

It's the go to game for winding down and chilling out with.

Played the SNES remake of SMB 1 and a bit of Wolf 3D also.

After many years of solely playing Sega and Playstation consoles, this was really refreshing and I've grown a new love for the SNES.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You poor poor b@st@rd...
    No wonder you're the psychological mess we all are familiar with now....

With this news I resolve to be nicer to you, even if you do like 6/10 games....

I actual like batman forever. It was my third film to see in cinema, the other being batman and Jurassic park. Jurassic park scared me ****less that night, bleeding Raptors opening doors!
    Just back from watching Jaws tonight. My girlfrIend never seen it before and only realised about 10 minutes in, so it was like watching it again for the first time.

Playing some Super Mario Bros recently. This time I got to 6-4 after my first pathetic attempt, which I blame for it being emulated. I blame this one on LCD lag :P

Have also been playing a lot of Thief 2 recently as well. I'm really liking it but I feel that Thief 1 had better variety in levels. Thief 2 seems to be mainly just sneaking around human establishments without any of the horror or more inventive levels of the first game. Still a great game though and it's nice to play a first person game with really non-linear levels.

I'm playing a disc version and not the GoG version so it was a bitch to get it to run on Windows 7 but eventually got it to work. Even more annoying was getting EAX to work to make the sound effects propagate more realistically. I don't have a creative card so had to download Alchemy universal, a program that is next to impossible to find. Then I had sound in game but none in movies so had to get another fan made program to convert the movies to 16-bit which took me bout an hour to figure out how to use (had to be run in compatibility mode with administrative mode turned on, pain in the ass). However it's more than worth it since you can judge where gaurds are very easily just from the sounds of their footsteps.

Forgot to mention I gave Chaos Engine a go yesterday also.

The implementation of the L & R buttons is fantastic, you can turn without moving forward.

Also the way you strafe left and right with those buttons in Wolf 3D.

I think the only thing I used those for on my cousins SNES back in the day,

was for jumping in Mario Kart.

Trying to strafe in the Strike games on the megadrive, without shooting a rocket is awkward at best! :p

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah now, nobody can ever talk about a Snes Strike game favourably after hearing this mostrosity! :P

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah now, nobody can ever talk about a Snes Strike game favourably after hearing this mostrosity! :P

The funny thing is that the SNES has the power to sound exactly like the Mega Drive with the right sampling (albeit at a much lower sample rate than hearing raw FM goodness!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing a little bit of Roger Ebert's favourite videogame.

http://hardcoregaming101.net/cosmologyofkyoto/cosmologyofkyoto.htm

Trippy ****.

Playing a little bit of Roger Ebert's favourite videogame.

http://hardcoregaming101.net/cosmologyofkyoto/cosmologyofkyoto.htm

Trippy ****.

More like hipster **** :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Onto disc 3 of LA Noire. Started out as a regular cop, promoted to Detective with Homicide, then promoted to the Vice Unit. F**king really enjoying this game.

To get back to J Ultimates comment about using bizarre logic, I'm finding it fine so far. The thing is, you have to really really concentrate with this game, listen to everything & piece things together using your own head. You can't accuse someone of lying without having the evidence to back it up etc. Otherwise you'll get answers wrong & won't know what to say or do. Concentration is key, & makes the game quite different

Fantastic game so far, really enjoying how involved you have to be in it.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Onto disc 3 of LA Noire. Started out as a regular cop, promoted to Detective with Homicide, then promoted to the Vice Unit. F**king really enjoying this game.

To get back to J Ultimates comment about using bizarre logic, I'm finding it fine so far. The thing is, you have to really really concentrate with this game, listen to everything & piece things together using your own head. You can't accuse someone of lying without having the evidence to back it up etc. Otherwise you'll get answers wrong & won't know what to say or do. Concentration is key, & makes the game quite different

It's kinda like Dick Tracy really, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

My performance at Daytona USA on the Saturn has me reconsidering the wisdom of my plans to sit the driving test. I'd like to blame the Saturn controller, however:
    • I'm generally bad at all driving games. I reduced the difficulty to easy and still could only come 7th on the easiest track! :o
    • Everyone knows the Saturn controller is one of the most perfect joypads ever made, even if the D pad is built for 2D fighters and not steering...
    That said, its nice having a 3 letter name to punch into the high score table. Even if for some reason the Saturn port doesn't give players NUMBERS to use. Grr.

Other games:

In The Hunt, again on the Saturn. On Madness mode. Because I play shooters on the hardest mode.

Question for anyone who knows their shmups: Can anyone tell me this, does In The Hunt (PAL version) on the Saturn actually save high scores?

I got to the 4th level, felt I'd achieved something on my first go, entered my high score and went to back up the data from the internal battery to my 4-in-1 cart and there was no data to back up. I know its only one score and beginners one at that but its a real downer. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Oracle of the Seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

EnterNow wrote: »

An original game alright.
    Do not play drunk though..disastrous..you just go around accusing everyone.
    Then you get pissed of,forget what crime your trying to solve in the first place and turn game off in disgust.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finished Battlefield 3 last night, not bad at all.
    I think I preferred it to CoD:MW overall.
    Certainly it was more of a challenge.
    Now, off to Smyths to trade it in!

Advertisement