Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    You can't load mega-cd through the cart slot, I don't think its technically possible. So the dev would have to design something that attaches to the expansion slot

Probably isn't possible since the Mega CD has it's own hardware, it's not simply a CD drive. It has at the very least a chip to handle sprite scaling and rotation but I'm pretty sure it's a lot more complex than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Started God of War 3 last night. Despite the series being as deep as a paddling pool I've enjoyed the series and needed something silly after 100 hours of Xenoblades complexity. I'm not actually enjoying this one as much as previous games. It's early days yet but the combat isn't as satisfying and QTE bosses have lost their luster. Maybe I've been spoiled by Bayonetta. Also the frame rate is absolutely terrible and really affects the game poorly. It uses a deffered rendering engine meaning the game looks gorgeous and there's little to know screen tearing but its at the expense of really sluggish controls that really don't work in a fast paced action game. Also the double jump seems to only work when it wants to due to this lag. Kind of disappointed so far.

Its doesn't get any better, obviously its the prettiest of the series but GoW2 was simply a lot more fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Probably isn't possible since the Mega CD has it's own hardware, it's not simply a CD drive. It has at the very least a chip to handle sprite scaling and rotation but I'm pretty sure it's a lot more complex than that.

Indeed, it also has a 32bit processor doesn't it? Meaning emulation through the cart slots 16bit bus just isn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I think we're assuming that this is been plugged into a MegaDrive/Mega CD combo and trying to load the cd games that way. Not just a megadrive on its own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve SI wrote: »
    I think we're assuming that this is been plugged into a MegaDrive/Mega CD combo and trying to load the cd games that way. Not just a megadrive on its own.

Still though if it was going to work it would probably need to be plugged into the ext interface port and pretty much have the Mega-CD hardware on board for it to work. Would be nice if someone did get it working, it just sounds like a lot of work involved.

Perhaps it could be done like that 3DO Hard disk mod on a combo system?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Never was too fond of God of War myself. Production values are through the roof, but it's such a one-note series. Actually enjoyed the PSP Ghost of Sparta far more than I did the third console iteration: just felt like a purer game that was much more aware of its limitations and just went with it. I do like the way the games create a nice flowing world though, with everything connected.

On the topic of GoW I'm in the last stages of Darksiders at the moment. A fun but ludicrously derivative game - I've just gained a blue & orange portal gun FFS! God of War, Zelda and several other games combined. That said, the art and character design is a lot of fun, and there are some rewarding puzzles in there, as well as a world that's generally fun to explore. Combat is more GoW than Bayonetta though - simplistic and repetitive, although does have a kick in your more overpowered moments.

Played about 2 hours of Megaman 10 last night. Heard a lot of bad things about it and while it's no where near as amazing as Megaman 9 it's still one of the best Megaman game games and a lot better than 4-8. I've beaten all the boss robots and now on to Wily's stages tonight which are sure to mess me up.

Also have been playing a bit of Touch Detective which is a nice quirky point and click for the DS.

After another go of God of War 3 I'm starting to feel it's not worth bothering with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Isn't it strange how you beat certain games, or parts of games at the oddest times?

Tonight on the train home I scored a double whammy. I got the Golden Disaster 1cc NO MISS and I got 18 out of 20 achievements plus unlocked the 4th (and final) ship 'Orchid' in DoDonpachi Maximum tonight.

Only took me since March 7th, release day, to get them all!

Two achievements left to get now, Hibachi clear and the ALL clear. Both are secret acheivements and hardly anyone in the world has got them. Super tough to do unfortunately. :(

Beat Megaman 10. Great but definitely lacking the variety of Megaman 9.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding God of War, there really is enough action in the Greek Myths proper, no need to play fast and loose with the stories as the games did.
    Read a lot of them over the years, the excellent books by Robert Graves, and there is everything in there, make a class series of games, maybe like Skyrim perhaps....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Right now I don't really have time for playing on any of my consoles so I've gotten more use out of my 3DS. I was looking for something to play on it and have turned to Yoshi's Island.

I never played this back when it was released on the SNES. In fact I don't think I realised it was the sequel to Super Mario World till years later. I'm only just after finishing World 1 and I am enjoying it a lot. The stages seem very long but there is so much hidden stuff to find that it keeps it interesting.

Not sure that I like the segments where Yoshi turns into a plane or a tank. It just seems out of place. Another small complaint is that I think the controls are a little floaty. Yoshi definitely is not as tight control wise as Mario. Some of the visual effects are nice and I'd say were amazing back when it launched. Obviously the art style is great too.

I still don't see why this is the SMW sequel. It feels like a totally different game so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's fun, there's some beautiful art in there, but in terms of structure it's a step back from SMW and those "Yoshi becomes a vehicle" are really weak and date the game badly.
    That said, Ninty on a bad day is still streets ahead of everyone else on their best so, similarly to Super Mario Sunshine, it may be one of the weaker entries in the Ninty canon it is still a great game.
    I also have love for Yoshis Story on the N64, not many fans out there in these parts however, it seems to share an awful lot of DNA with Kirby 64 as well, the gameplay is extremely close.

I am currently stuck into Dead Space 2 and my 3DS, there I'm playing Pacman and Galaga Dimensions and going through my DS collection there.
    Must pick up a DS Phat somewhere, I'll get a DSiXL at some later date I reckon, to keep my Ninty handheld collection complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Still though if it was going to work it would probably need to be plugged into the ext interface port and pretty much have the Mega-CD hardware on board for it to work. Would be nice if someone did get it working, it just sounds like a lot of work involved.

Perhaps it could be done like that 3DO Hard disk mod on a combo system?

With FPGA....

anything is possible.

waveform wrote: »
    With FPGA....

anything is possible.

As in Mega CD emulation through the cart slot? The cart slot bus is 16bit though, the Mega CD is 32bit...I just can't see how it can be done. Through the Expansion slot though, the required hardware is there so yeah maybe that'd work

As in Mega CD emulation through the cart slot? The cart slot bus is 16bit though, the Mega CD is 32bit...I just can't see how it can be done. Through the Expansion slot though, the required hardware is there so yeah maybe that'd work

No, I was specifically replying to Retr0's comment about doing it through the external interface port.

With an FPGA you can replicate mega CD hardware down to each individual clock cycle, so there would be no need to worry about having identical Mega CD hardware, an FPGA emulation would be perfect.

No, I was specifically replying to Retr0's comment about doing it through the external interface port.

With FPGA you can replicate mega CD hardware down to each individual clock cycle, so there would be no need for identical Mega CD hardware.

Ah yes, I'm sure that's technically possible alright...but like most things in these cases, the cost to do it just wouldn't be justifiably chargeable to any would be customer.

There's a million awesome things that could be done with FPGA, if one has the know how

Yep, the 1541 Ultimate II is a prime example.

Yep, the 1541 Ultimate II is a prime example.

A very, very cool device

Have now clawed my way up to 4C on DoDonpachi Maximum.

1A,2A,3A,4A and 5A all have NO MISS, 100% Destroy and NO BOMB requirements completed (hence I got Orchid).

The rest of the stages are a mix of all requirements clear or 1of3/ 2of3 clear. 4C for some reason seems almost easier than 4B. Once I have 4C done I just need 5C for a C-CLEAR. Then 4D, 5D for D-CLEAR and finally 5E for E-CLEAR.

That will get the Undefeated secret achievement. Then it's on to fight Hibachi! :eek:

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Have now clawed my way up to 4C on DoDonpachi Maximum.

1A,2A,3A,4A and 5A all have NO MISS, 100% Destroy and NO BOMB requirements completed (hence I got Orchid).

The rest of the stages are a mix of all requirements clear or 1of3/ 2of3 clear. 4C for some reason seems almost easier than 4B. Once I have 4C done I just need 5C for a C-CLEAR. Then 4D, 5D for D-CLEAR and finally 5E for E-CLEAR.

That will get the Undefeated secret achievement. Then it's on to fight Hibachi! :eek:

I have no idea what any of that means :o

• Advertisement

I have no idea what any of that means :o

He's playing some shmuppy smut on his Windows Phone.

Steve SI wrote: »
    He's playing some shmuppy smut on his Windows Phone.

The phone he won because of me? :P

The phone he won because of me? :P

Oh yeah, you're to blame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

He has to stick to the games no-one else is playing otherwise we'll all kick his ass scorewise :P

[/trashtalk]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

He has to stick to the games no-one else is playing otherwise we'll all kick his ass scorewise :P

[/trashtalk]

As was clearly demonstrated by that Soldier Blade caravan mode he started and got his ass handed to him. :pac:

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's fun, there's some beautiful art in there, but in terms of structure it's a step back from SMW and those "Yoshi becomes a vehicle" are really weak and date the game badly.

Be wary that these are the ramblings of somebody that does not like Streets of Rage, thinks gunstar Heroes is a 6/10 game and has a penchant for first person shooters of the mediocre/bland variety.

Most sane people think Yoshi's Island is a masterpiece.

Andrew76 wrote: »

[/trashtalk]

As was clearly demonstrated by that Soldier Blade caravan mode he started and got his ass handed to him. :pac:

That's because I started playing Ketsui and made ondaflys scores look awesome!

You guys is juz jelly!

:pac:

Most sane people think Yoshi's Island is a masterpiece.

Even the vehicle sections?
    Seriously?

It's a great game, I said that.
    But....
    It's not as good as either SMW or SMB3.

So, a great game, a superb game even, but not in the same league as the other two I mentioned.

And I don't have a predilection for suck balls FPS titles, no sir, only top notch FPS titles like Halo!

Dead Space 2 is nearly my bitch as well, good fun, a couple of jumps there but it was in the middle of the day so no "wet pants" episodes.

Started Crysis on the 360 as well, the original game that's downloadable from XBLA, a tough title, certainly more demanding than Crysis 2. Looks great as well, some natural limits compared to the top notch PC editions, but it is a good looking game.

I never said Gunstar was 6/10, respected gamers bible Edge did!
    I shan't say what rating I'd give it... don't want to upset folk....

Streets of Rage is awful, as is Golden Axe, I don't know why so many folk are convinced that this emperor has clothes on, really don't.
    I know why R-Type, Gradius, SF2 and Bubble Bobble are classics, the gameplay speak for themselves, but side scrolling fighters, trash with only a handful of exceptions.

Opinions are like assholes.......

tbh! ;)

• Advertisement

Opinions are like assholes.......

tbh! ;)

True. And mines the best.

Advertisement