Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Gardaí ignore calls for help on emergency number.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

baza1976 wrote: »
    Do you answer the phones in Roxboro?? Sounds like a telling off I got from there :D

No i don't and i'm not saying where i am based. I just dislike ill informed crap being sprouted about my profession, and no self respecting member would answer any question regarding internal protocol on an open forum, The Joker's post was designed to sound out whether i'm a real member or not. What i will say is that my authenticity has been verified by mods on the ES forum and also on another Emergency services forum which was formed by a member from boards and shares a number of members with the ES forum on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

^^ he's definitely a shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

foinse wrote: »
    No i don't and i'm not saying where i am based. I just dislike ill informed crap being sprouted about my profession, and no self respecting member would answer any question regarding internal protocol on an open forum, The Joker's post was designed to sound out whether i'm a real member or not. What i will say is that my authenticity has been verified by mods on the ES forum and also on another Emergency services forum which was formed by a member from boards and shares a number of members with the ES forum on boards.

Well this thread is not about if Fonsie is a shade or not....

Does he want to comment on the OPs post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

baza1976 what evidence do you have that "ordinary Gardai" as you put it are manning speed checks in the Limerick area, because i happen to know that they are not, and any speed checks done are carried out by the traffic corps.

I HAPPEN TO KNOW FOR A FACT... ordinary gardai do check points and not on OT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

I'm not going into specific Garda protocol on an open website with a complete stranger, i have no problem defending my profession and clarifying what are glaring inaccuracies in the way the public view AGS, but i will not go into specifics relating to any type of Garda protocol, And seeing as you are a poster in ES i would have thought you would know not to ask such things on an open forum in such a fashion.

It was a general question, I didn't ask you to give state secrets just a synopsis of what a Garda is obligated to do at the scene of an accdent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Christ, you'd swear that all these speeding drivers weren't doing anything wrong...

Not to mention Gardai speeding and using mobile phones at the same time, breaking lights without the blues going, I've seen it loads of times around The City and County, But of course that's all in the line of duty!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ria5000

The_Joker wrote: »
    Not to mention Gardai speeding and using mobile phones at the same time, breaking lights without the blues going, I've seen it loads of times around The City and County, But of course that's all in the line of duty!

well to clarify about gardai using mobile phones while driving as some peoples ignoant public opinion on this drives me up the wall! right a lot of people listen to the radio scanners to hear the gaurds on the radio right? well a lot of info that is passed out to members is sensitive and is not for peoples ears so thats why gardai use mobile phones while driving sometimes, and its actually permitted by law so i think that point is clarified.

how do you know gardai are speeding? are you trained in this? do you use a speed gun on the garda cars that are "speeding"?? do you not think that they could be speeding to a fatal accident or another serious incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Elbi wrote: »
    one morning i when to my car to find it was broken into, .....
    needless to say they never came. I know its not a serious thing like but its not the point.

How did you get your insurance to cover the damage without a police report?

ria5000 wrote: »
    well to clarify about gardai using mobile phones while driving as some peoples ignoant public opinion on this drives me up the wall! right a lot of people listen to the radio scanners to hear the gaurds on the radio right? well a lot of info that is passed out to members is sensitive and is not for peoples ears so thats why gardai use mobile phones while driving sometimes, and its actually permitted by law so i think that point is clarified.

Why aren't the Gardai using encrypted radio?
    If this isn't available, why aren't the squad cars fitted with bluetooth kits? Just because you're a Garda doesn't mean you are immune from driving dangerously...there have been plenty of instances of squad cars crashing and killing/seriously injuring pedestrians - I wonder how many of those cases involved the driver using a phone at the time?
    ria5000 wrote:
    how do you know gardai are speeding? are you trained in this? do you use a speed gun on the garda cars that are "speeding"?? do you not think that they could be speeding to a fatal accident or another serious incident?

It's pretty obvious whether you're a pedestrian or driving along the road - especially if you are an experienced driver - when a vehicle is breaking the speed limit.

Gardai who are speeding on their way to an emergency should have their lights on and/or siren. You know - to alert people they are SPEEDING and to get out of their way :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    Why aren't the Gardai using encrypted radio?
    If this isn't available, why aren't the squad cars fitted with bluetooth kits? Just because you're a Garda doesn't mean you are immune from driving dangerously...there have been plenty of instances of squad cars crashing and killing/seriously injuring pedestrians - I wonder how many of those cases involved the driver using a phone at the time?

the gardai are in the process of getting tetra radio rolled out accross the whole country to prevent other people listening in. bluetooth kits?? there is no money for anything at the moment never mind bluetooth kits for hundreds of patrol cars.

It's pretty obvious whether you're a pedestrian or driving along the road - especially if you are an experienced driver - when a vehicle is breaking the speed limit.

Gardai who are speeding on their way to an emergency should have their lights on and/or siren. You know - to alert people they are SPEEDING and to get out of their way :rolleyes:

the gardai are in the process of getting tetra radio rolled out accross the whole country to prevent other people listening in. bluetooth kits?? there is no money for anything at the moment never mind bluetooth kits for hundreds of patrol cars.

and without getting into specific details there are some calls gardai go to that its advised not to use lights and sirens.

nobody ever gives out when ambulance or fire brigade drive their vehicles while talking on mobile phones!! the gardai are an easy target

nobody ever gives out when ambulance or fire brigade drive their vehicles while talking on mobile phones!! the gardai are an easy target

Don't they have tinted glass in their vehicles? Also they are higher up so therefore harder to see the occupants.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought it was a legal requirement for the gardai to signal their presence with either lights or sirens when they are driving in a manner that could cause danger to other road users ..i.e. speeding and weaving through traffic on the way to an emergency.

Don't they have tinted glass in their vehicles? Also they are higher up so therefore harder to see the occupants.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought it was a legal requirement for the gardai to signal their presence with either lights or sirens when they are driving in a manner that could cause danger to other road users ..i.e. speeding and weaving through traffic on the way to an emergency.

well ive never seen garda cars speeding and weaving through traffic. ive seen and been in patrol cars speeding with no lights and sirens pertaining to the circumstances of the call. but if other people have seen patrol cars speeding and weaving through traffic with no lights or sirens then ill accept your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

well ive never seen garda cars speeding and weaving through traffic. ive seen and been in patrol cars speeding with no lights and sirens pertaining to the circumstances of the call. but if other people have seen patrol cars speeding and weaving through traffic with no lights or sirens then ill accept your point.

You just contradicted your self twice in one comment..

"well ive never seen garda cars speeding and weaving through traffic"
    "ive seen and been in patrol cars speeding with no lights and sirens"
    "but if other people have seen patrol cars speeding and weaving through traffic with no lights or sirens then ill accept your point"

Funny

"in traffic" is the absent point in their admission stab.

zuroph wrote: »
    "in traffic" is the absent point in their admission stab.

True but most streets do have traffic!!

Stab*City wrote: »
    You just contradicted your self twice in one comment..

"well ive never seen garda cars speeding and weaving through traffic"
    "ive seen and been in patrol cars speeding with no lights and sirens"
    "but if other people have seen patrol cars speeding and weaving through traffic with no lights or sirens then ill accept your point"

Funny

actually i said ive been in patrol cars speeding i didnt say through traffic and i didnt say weaving aswell. very big difference.
    funny.
    ive been in speeding patrol cars at nightime mainly when theres no traffic.
    funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Speeding and weaving through traffic is what was said...if a squad car has its lights and siren going, and there's noone there to see or hear it...

actually i said ive been in patrol cars speeding i didnt say through traffic and i didnt say weaving aswell. very big difference.
    funny.
    funny

Where do you live? Some backwater? In Dublin and other busy cities it's not always possible for traffic to pull over so yes, gardai and the emergency services do weave through traffic...

Anyway, this thread has gone way off topic. Either you're a rubbish criminal who keeps getting caught, or a member of the gardai yourself?

Oh thanks for clarifying that for me:confused:, so are you saying that any member of the Gardai driving and using a phone will be concentrating 100% on the road where as joe public won't be?

As regards to the advent of sensitive information being passed among members
    Ever hear of digital radios they were invented there a few years back, google might help you out with it, and these can't be scanned unless you have very expensive equipment.

Firstly If they were speeding to a fatal accident they would be using lights and sirens!
    I'll tell you how I know they were speeding, because I was doing the limit at the time and they were going a hell of a lot faster than I was.

Secondly As for me being trained to know when a vehicle is speeding, I was a cop in the UK for a number of years, so yes I do know when a car is speeding!

I know the Gardai Siochana do a thankless and increasingly dangerous job but they are human they do use mobiles while driving for personal calls and they do speed like the rest of us.
    But using the fact that they are Gardai as an excuse to do it isn't right.

• Advertisement

The_Joker wrote: »
    Oh thanks for clarifying that for me:confused:, so are you saying that any member of the Gardai driving and using a phone will be concentrating 100% on the road where as joe public won't be?

As regards to the advent of sensitive information being passed among members
    Ever hear of digital radios they were invented there a few years back, google might help you out with it, and these can't be scanned unless you have very expensive equipment.

Firstly If they were speeding to a fatal accident they would be using lights and sirens!
    I'll tell you how I know they were speeding, because I was doing the limit at the time and they were going a hell of a lot faster than I was.

Secondly As for me being trained to know when a vehicle is speeding, I was a cop in the UK for a number of years, so yes I do know when a car is speeding!

I know the Gardai Siochana do a thankless and increasingly dangerous job but they are human they do use mobiles while driving for personal calls and they do speed like the rest of us.
    But using the fact that they are Gardai as an excuse to do it isn't right.

we dont have digital radios in the gaurds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you live? Some backwater? In Dublin and other busy cities it's not always possible for traffic to pull over so yes, gardai and the emergency services do weave through traffic...

Anyway, this thread has gone way off topic. Either you're a rubbish criminal who keeps getting caught, or a member of the gardai yourself?
    eh the location beside my username actually says dublin so unless u call dublin a backwater.......

yea its obvious from my posts that im a rubbish criminal who keeps getting caught!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

thats why gardai use mobile phones while driving sometimes, and its actually permitted by law so i think that point is clarified
    Of course, because as we all know, Gardai can multitask much better than us mere mortals, and couldn't possibly crash while talking on a mobile :pac:
    I see Garda cars driving at excessive speeds every day of the week. And they don't have the siren on. I have seen squad cars cut red lights numerous times, but i'm sure thats allowed because there is one law for us and another for you.

*On a related note, i too have a story to tell about the gardai in the Limerick division. Was in O'Connell St one night two years ago, when i see 3 scumbags giving a guy some hassle at the Bedford Row junction. It turned nasty and they produced a bottle and he took a fair whack over the head. They soon scattered up Thomas St, and stopped outside Xtravision (you could clearly see them waiting around there), leaving the guy with blood spouting from his head. So Henry St was called, and soon three guards came onto the scene, one male and two female. The injured party was telling them the attack had been unprovoked, and informed them where the purpetraitors had run off to. In fact everyone on the scene was telling the cops these guys were standing further up thomas st. We could actually see them staring down as the cops were "interrogating'' the victim. The cops reaction was to fire accusing questions at the poor guy, saying that he shouldn't have been so drunk, and that he must have said something to him. The guy was at his wits end by this stage, telling them to go after them, telling them what they looked like, but they were not one bit interested in listening to his story. Eventually they arrested him for being "aggressive" towards them! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The attitude of those three guards was nothing short of a disgrace. Instead of actually walking 40 yards up Thomas St and catching these scumbags, they actually treated the victim like he had carried out the assault! They took the easy option (they're good at that) and instead of actaully dealing with situation they totally ignored what they are paid to do - keep the peace, and arrest those who breach that peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

yawn. Im not a cop meself but jaysus some of ye are annoying.
    If ye are so good and know everything, why dont ye join up and show them how to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

seanybiker wrote: »
    yawn. Im not a cop meself but jaysus some of ye are annoying.
    If ye are so good and know everything, why dont ye join up and show them how to do the job.
    This is not the point. They are paid to do a job and from i can see, the performance and attitude of the cops out on the beat leaves a lot to be desired. I have no wish to be a guard. In my job i get awfully frustrated when i see my co-workers not doing their job properly and making a shoddy effort at it, because it reflects on me too, with the particular type of job i'm in. So if i was to join the boys in blue, my blood pressure would be through the roof. They just don't care, that the main issue here. They couldn't give a toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

grenache wrote: »
    This is not the point. They are paid to do a job and from i can see, the performance and attitude of the cops out on the beat leaves a lot to be desired. I have no wish to be a guard. In my job i get awfully frustrated when i see my co-workers not doing their job properly and making a shoddy effort at it, because it reflects on me too, with the particular type of job i'm in. So if i was to join the boys in blue, my blood pressure would be through the roof. They just don't care, that the main issue here. They couldn't give a toss.

you dont want to be tarnished for you co-workers incompetence, so you shouldnt tarnish them all, for some of their co-workers mishaps.

i do agree that they as a whole are not behaving like the mature babysitters that they should be but its not all of them. you will always get people in any job taking advantage in every way possible to make their jobs easier but you also have the ones trying to make a difference.

the only problem is in our society as a whole we, instead of weeding out people not doing their jobs we mock the ones actually doing theirs. example limericks infamous "robocop". everyone gives out that he is too strict but ge is doing a good job. he is stopping dangerous driving. why slag him? would you prefer him or some1 eating burger king and not caring?

the gardai need to be restructured but the same can be said for the healthcare, politics, education, banks........ the list goes on. we just need to restart the country and give some1 that we can trust full power to(of course that would never be a reality)

but to sum things up sometimes the gardai need to be cut a little slack. if your purse was taken, the special branch wont come along swinging from choppers. but if your life is in immediate danger my advice is trust the gards its not rocket science........ and stop bickering about mobile phones. ES can use mobiles while driving. joe public cant. ITS THE LAW:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Members of the Gardai have been calling me Sir in the past few years. The first time I looked around to see who they were talking to.

But, If I answer the original question the Gardai have always answered all call I have ever made but a few times they have been extremely slow BUT I understand why as previously mentioned.

No lives were in danger but the guy burying the drugs in the green across from my house was long gone by the time they arrived. Drugs seized, drug dealer annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Lets break this one down to the fundamentals here for the sake of clarity and progression.

If you dial 112 in any civilised Country on the Planet outside of a state of War etc. the local Police force will arrive within 10-15 minutes.

I pay tax, you pay tax, Joe Citizen pays fcuking tax - when a Scumbag is kicking in his door he is entitled to the protection of the State and not some devious, cynical, slack, half-arsed, empty promise of help that is never, ever, going to arrive - I cannot make this point any clearer.

To my thinking, lying to a victim of an emergency situation or crime in progress and then falsely assuring them of hope, assistance and security is a borderline criminal act in its own right and its going to continue to cause tragedy and cost lives.

The Gardaí should not be carrying out a single task of any kind if they cannot manage to firstly provide this basic element of their reason for being.

I also have a major problem with the whole "we are busy" argument - It is fatally flawed of course because a Limerick Garda has scarcely ever stopped, solved or even sufficiently investigated a crime in decades - Policing in Limerick is a spectator sport carried out at a thoroughly amateur level by individuals you could very easily confuse with the fcuking Boy Scouts.

I'd love to see accurate staff number statistics for Limerick because from what I can see they are conspicuously absent - and when they do make their presence felt its to harass the very taxpayer that pays their wages....
    Yes my tax disc is a week out of date - But forget about that; I'm so fcuking glad you've caught all the actual criminal Scumbags in Limerick - Who would have thought your policy of avoidance would have had that ultimate outcome......???

Finally what message does it send out when the fcuking Gardaí so obviously have no interest in a crime in progress? They don't even show up 12 hours later to check if the victim still has a pulse - what hope is there when those entrusted with upholding the law are so obviously in scorn of it and the Citizens of the State......

funny.
    funny

Well i have seen plenty of patrol cars speeding and weaving through traffic with no lights on in the middle of the day when the streets are packed with cars.. just because you were not in the cars at the time does not mean its not happening..

I actually ended up behind one before and when i caught up with them they had pulled into the shop!

Not funny.

• Advertisement

TBH im surprised at the gardaí posting in this thread. they should know better than to reply in published form to criticism from the public. In the army, I know thats against the rules unless explicitly authorised, i presume its similar for the Gardaí.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement