Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Gardaí ignore calls for help on emergency number.

Options
  • 17-07-2009 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Rang them because someone was being assaulted on our road in broad daylight. Gave details of those involved and precise descriptions of the exact location. Gardaí were not slow to arrive, were not anxious to leave without being sufficiently thorough etc. - they just simply did not bother to show up...... Now imagine if that person was you or your Mother or Father, Sister or Brother lying helplessly on the ground being kicked in the face.....

- Was reminded of this when a friend told me yesterday that he rang the Gardaí when he just happened to be up at 5am one morning and observed two Scumbags chatting casually while trying the door handles on every car in his Estate. Literally going about their business like they were having a nice stroll in the Park.....

Any idea why they were so carefree and relaxed about it? Yep - Limerick Gardaí never bothered to show this time either...... So why would these Scum fear any consequences?

I think the impression most people in Limerick have always had is that the Gardaí were hopelessly out of their depth when it came to tackling Limericks Scumbags - but to have it so clearly confirmed that they simply do not care about Joe Citizen is an eye opener for me.

The moral of the story is that if you ever have a genuine emergency and fear for the safety of yourself or your family you should drive to the nearest flyover and ask the brave and diligent crime fighters running that particular speed trap for help in person.....

- They should be ashamed to cash the pay cheques we the tax-paying Public hand them each month :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Reminds me of the one and only time I rang 999.

My parents, brother and I were driving to Limerick. It was about 9 or 10 in the morning and we were near Croagh when a car decked in Wedding ribbons that was coming towards us suddenly across the road into our lane.

My father had to violently swerve into the hard shoulder and a grass patch along with a jeep that was in front of us. Us and the people in the jeep got out of the vehicles pretty shaken. We reckoned the guy might possibly be still drunk after a wedding the night before so I said I'd phone the Gardai on 999 to report it before he killed some-one.

I rang 999 and got transferred to a guy that really didn't give a sh*t. I told him the story, gave a description of the car and which direction it was headed in and asked if they could send out a car to try and pull him over.

The reply I got was that they couldn't send out a car because they were up all night attending an accident. This was a response I didn't expect and my instinctly answer was to ask if they would like another accident so. :D

Cue, loads of abuse being thrown by either side, with me ending by saying "if that's your unprofessional attitude, we'll leave it so" and I hung up.

I was quite shocked by how that one went. Haven't bothered to play the concerned citizen since because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If you abused them on the phone, they wouldn't be long calling out to your house to tick you off...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Well I was walking home one night from been out on the tear in town. I was walking up through Hyde Road and stopped up across the road from some house because they were playing some Bob Marley tunes. The lads told me to move on and I was slow to their request.

Anyway the lads decided to run after me and caught me since I just walked along and didn't think anything serious was going to happen. The three lads then decided to hit me on the head with some daggers, the ones you hang up on the wall. The daggers were blunt but made from steel all the same and it cut the top of my head open.

Ok they left me off and I head back home to Carew Park to clean the blood off my head. I decided to call down to Roxboro Garda Station to report the incident. I then asked the Gardai there if they are going to call down to arrest the three lads. He said that they are probably gone. I then said I know what house they came out from and that they might be still there. He then said that it was in Edward Street that I got attacked. I just looked at him raise my eyes to the sky and walked out.

It happened about a week before that girl got killed in Henry Cecil, and that the guy who was found guility of the murder was one of the three lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

seachto7 wrote: »
    If you abused them on the phone, they wouldn't be long calling out to your house to tick you off...:rolleyes:

True, it wasn't the smartest thing to do. I was probably in shock over nearly being killed (no exaggeration there) and the shock over the attitude of the Garda I was speaking to.

Maybe with me acting dumb on the phone, I was just fighting fire with fire given the person I was speaking to. :D

In hindsight, I do regret stooping down to a slagging match but am still terribly disappointed that I decided to "do the right thing" by reporting this guy before he caused an accident and got absolutely nowhere.

Generally though, I am very supportive of the Gardai and the State and the struggle to defend our state and our citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

Raiser wrote: »

- Was reminded of this when a friend told me yesterday that he rang the Gardaí when he just happened to be up at 5am one morning and observed two Scumbags chatting casually while trying the door handles on every car in his Estate. Literally going about their business like they were having a nice stroll in the Park.....

If you rang them & asked are they recording the call because If the gaurds aren't here in 5 minutes I'm gonna get my shotgun and put a bullet in those 2 c*nts they wouldn't be long coming out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Must say that I am not surprised to see the Roxboro station mentioned in this thread.

From experience I have found their response times to be awful, that's if they even bother to turn up at all when you call them.

My parents, both pensioners, called them when a group of scum had gotten into their back garden and set their oil tank on fire. The scum did not run off so the Gardai were called, along with the fire brigade as the fire set other things on fire out their back. The fire brigade got there and put out the fire, and the scum jeered them, and still no gardai.

I then got there, and the station was rang again and told that the guys who started the fire were still there. Thirty minutes later and still no cops. The last call made to them was one asking where the cop car was, and I got a snotty answer saying it would be there wghen it gets there. My reply was not to bother as I had a hurley and would deal with it. They arrived about 5 minutes after that.

I generally have found that it is the new generation of Garda that is useless when you need them, the older guys arrive when someone needs help, and the older cops are also the ones that when they spot trouble will go over straight away. The younger ones can literally be seen turning around and walking away in town when they spot scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

was drivin into limerick from shannon direction bout 3 years ago, wen we see a car comin for us on the wrong lane on the dual carriageway... Totally scary moment, and my girlfriend was really freaked out, as not only can you see this car comin for ya, you have no idea if this guy is sane, he was after all driving into oncoming traffic.

So being in a fit of rage, rang roxboro garda station, for de exact same reason as the other posters, to be a good citizen and hopefully avoid a serious accident. Unfortunately, roxboro guards didn't see it as i did and informed me that if the car was travelling as i had said, that it would be in clare, and then the limerick gardai would not be able to do anythin about it!

Totally crazy ****, didn't think there was such a thing as a state line in this country until that moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

OP, Garda Ombudsman

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Reaction imes will get worse because of half of all Garda stations due to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Someone I work with, their younger brother was seriously assaulted on Cruises street by a gang of Scumbags. She ran screaming into O'Connell St. and flagged down a "Patrol" car - because lets face it - you're not going to see them walking around actively keeping the streets safe (most likely on a doughnut run)

- Anyway the Gardaí on witnessing the youth, bleeding heavily as he was told him to "move on home" - Even AFTER they had pointed out the attackers who had only bothered to stroll 15 yards up the street. They ended up taking refuge in McDonalds and calling a cab as they were too scared to leave, especially since the attackers clearly saw them pointing them out to the Gardaí. Seriously who would have thought Ronald McDonald would be a better option than 4 trained, equipped and well paid Gardaí in a fcuking Patrol car?!?!?!?!?

I was told a practically identical story a while back after somebody else I knows brother was head-butted near the Clarion Hotel end of Henry St. - Gardaí could not be persuaded to take an interest even thought the Scum were just hanging around a 1/2 block up the street?

No Statements, no response, no appeal for witnesses, no respect for the Citizen.

Honestly I don't know how they sleep at night.......

image001.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

not enough man power
    Reminds me of the one and only time I rang 999.

My parents, brother and I were driving to Limerick. It was about 9 or 10 in the morning and we were near Croagh when a car decked in Wedding ribbons that was coming towards us suddenly across the road into our lane.

My father had to violently swerve into the hard shoulder and a grass patch along with a jeep that was in front of us. Us and the people in the jeep got out of the vehicles pretty shaken. We reckoned the guy might possibly be still drunk after a wedding the night before so I said I'd phone the Gardai on 999 to report it before he killed some-one.

I rang 999 and got transferred to a guy that really didn't give a sh*t. I told him the story, gave a description of the car and which direction it was headed in and asked if they could send out a car to try and pull him over.

The reply I got was that they couldn't send out a car because they were up all night attending an accident. This was a response I didn't expect and my instinctly answer was to ask if they would like another accident so. :D

Cue, loads of abuse being thrown by either side, with me ending by saying "if that's your unprofessional attitude, we'll leave it so" and I hung up.

I was quite shocked by how that one went. Haven't bothered to play the concerned citizen since because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

I'm afraid you cannot use the excuse of not enough manpower for Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Well done OP.
    The Gardai wonder why so many people don't contact them with important information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I already mentioned this story here in the past on a different thread...

Had a suspicious guy Knock on the door of my house before
    checking to see if anyone answered the door. He made up some excuse asking
    if there was someone named Mike or Dave or something living here and walked off.
    It was day time between 14:00 and 16:00

Kept an eye on him going into other peoples houses. Going around peoples
    backs, tugging at side windows etc Rang Roxboro to report it.
    (If I was to ring Henry street they would tell me to Ring Roxboro as its not their area)

Time went by...No sign of any member of the Gardai arriving

Guy Breaks into a neighbours house and spends Ages robbing the place.

Ring Roxboro again, tell them on the phone he's actually IN the house.

no sign of a Garda Car arriving.

Guy Leaves the house with a big gear bag full of loot.

Nearly sure I rang Roxboro again to say yer man was hopping a fence and
    making his getaway through a different estate on foot.

(At this point I went out the door of my house hopped on my bi-cycle and made a
    start to follow the guy but thoughts of what if he turned and attacked me and my own safety kicked in,
    and I felt the adrenaline pump and I must admit my knees started to wobble when I peddled which was
    a strange sensation as I had not felt it before, it was not fear but a more sudden sense of sh1t what will I do if I catch up to this guy, and also the Guy saw me as he talked to me earlier and the fecker
    might come back for revenge if I approach him or point him out to the cop's etc)

Not Garda Car arrived.

That evening I was glued to my window waiting for the Owners to get home,
    A women arrived home (I did not know the neighbours) I rushed down to the house
    to warn her as I did not want her to go in the house and get a shock or be afraid in case she thought someone was still in the house.

The Gardai were rang AGAIN... it was night time and Dark and eventually
    an unmarked car with 2 detectives turned up and took statements.

I gave them a roll of film as I had taken photos of the guy breaking into the house
    which I never heard anything about, and also a few days later looked at Mugshots
    but never heard anything more about the case and if yer man was caught.

I still to this day have a hard time trying to get over why the hell there was such
    a lack of response.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Have you ever listened to a scanner set to the Garda frequency.

In some ways you can defend them as they could be dealing with a call.

Quite often you hear "5 2, come in, over"

"Go ahead"
    "We have reports of a car driving like a lunatic around XXX housing estate, can you check it out?"
    "We are dealing with a crash right now"
    "Ok will you check it out when you are finished as everybody else is tied up"
    "We will be here another 25 minutes"
    "Put it on your list so"

Basically said car will be long gone or burnt out by the time they get there. Well, you cannot really expect them to leave on call for another unless its actually an emergency.

I have had to ring the Gardai on a number of occasions and more often than not they are there prompty enough but a few times(living in Carew Park at the time) they took their time / had other calls on.(Who knows?)

I think Limerick City has lots of Gardai but when the sun goes down they are spread thin because the county Garda stations are closed which means the Henry St / Roxborough Gardai have to cover the whole county to a certain extent.

I have heard on the scanner that a prisoner had to be walked from an arrest to Henry St because the Paddy wagon was in Newcastlewest at 2am.

If you ever see a car driving oddly(or down the wrong side of the road) tell them you think they are drunk and they will be there faster than you could believe. Hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I had to call 999 about a year ago because of a disturbance here in Blackrock, Dublin. 20 seconds after I put the phone down I heard sirens. I looked outside to see two squad cars, an unmarked car and an ambulance whizz by at 100mph and practically handbrake-turn to a halt. Naturally I had to scoop my jaw from the floor. Who knows... maybe someone else called first, but damn, they were fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

not enough man power

plenty of manpower on fine days to carry out speed checks, insurance/seatbelt and tax checks.....on overtime may i add!!!...

Very very rarely do you see them out in the dark of night or bad weather doing speed checks. which is prob when they should be out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I'm sure the Sunday World or maybe even the Indo would be interested in hearing from the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wow, I never knew Gardai were supposed to be cops!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

thebhoy wrote: »
    was drivin into limerick from shannon direction bout 3 years ago, wen we see a car comin for us on the wrong lane on the dual carriageway... Totally scary moment, and my girlfriend was really freaked out, as not only can you see this car comin for ya, you have no idea if this guy is sane, he was after all driving into oncoming traffic.

So being in a fit of rage, rang roxboro garda station, for de exact same reason as the other posters, to be a good citizen and hopefully avoid a serious accident. Unfortunately, roxboro guards didn't see it as i did and informed me that if the car was travelling as i had said, that it would be in clare, and then the limerick gardai would not be able to do anythin about it!

Totally crazy ****, didn't think there was such a thing as a state line in this country until that moment...

Please refrain from the txt spk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

no offence to bangardai or women, but I don't see what good they are patrolling the streets. Most of them I see look soft as sh1te, like primary school teachers dressed in uniform for the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ria5000

seachto7 wrote: »
    no offence to bangardai or women, but I don't see what good they are patrolling the streets. Most of them I see look soft as sh1te, like primary school teachers dressed in uniform for the day...

thats completely off topic but i think you're totally wrong. the female gardai get a lot of undeserved abuse. most female guards i know are as tough if not tougher than the males. i really resent your comment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

They are usually busy busting up student parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Gardai are usually out patrolling for out of date car tax, the real silent killer...

I've had good and bad experiences with the guards, after my girlfriends house had been robbed while we were all asleep upstairs because one othe stupid girls who lived there left her ****ing keys in the front door after coming drunk, they opened the door , stole some stuff then took her car that was parked outside, the guards got out there pretty quick and even got the car back so fair play

On the other side, we happened by a guy and his missus in a drunken argument by gerald griffin st once and then he started battering her like no tomorrow, 3 of us ran over, dragged him off her, then she started in on us as well (total scobes the pair of them), guards come rolling up, big shouting match, all calms down and then the big muck savage fresh from Templemore says me and my mates are the ones "lucky to not be spending a night in the cells!" so apparently stopping a guy beating the **** out of his wife isnt a good idea these days and we should "have left them to it and minded your own business" as mr muck savage said, what a gob****e..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

vkid wrote: »
    I'm sure the Sunday World or maybe even the Indo would be interested in hearing from the OP
    all things considered, i wouldnt contact the sunday world unless it was to sue them.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

To be fair this is a very very unfair topic. I am not a guard and I have no relation to the gardai. Limerick City must be to toughest distrct in Ireland to police and yet Limerick has the HIGHEST murder solving rate in Ireland. Look at the weekly murders in Dublins gangland war. I think its only about 10% that are solved but here its up to 90%.
    The simple fact of the matter is that Limerick is a lot safer place these days due to the action of the Guards. How many guns have they taken off the streets of Limerick in the last few months alone. Last year everytime you turned on the rado you would hear about shots being fired at houses in City estates on almost a nightly basis. How often do you hear this happening these days, fine it still happens but to a much lower extent.

There are a hell of a lot of dangerous criminals behind bars now thanks to the guards. If you ring the guards and they don't turn up straight away, guess what, they are not on the station with their feet up or playing poker. (last year I had to call the guards and nobody turned up for about 45mins. It turns out that the guards from Killaloe had to come into me in the city subarbs because the Limerick guards were too busy)
    They have serious criminals under 24hour watch these days. Anyone watching the interview with Roy Collins last week would have heard him saying that his family now get 24hour protection from the guards........ This is where they are, following the most dangerous people in Ireland and protecting others from them. There was an article in last weeks Limerick Leader about how the Limerick criminals are now watching the guards families.

All these arguments about speed checks, tax etc always makes me laugh. If anyone ever gets stopped at one of these, you will notice that these guards are the TRAFFIC CORP!! That is the reason they were set up. Their exclusive job is to be on the roads and try to reduce traffic deaths. If you call 999, its not going to be the traffic corp that replies. They were set up by the Government to reduce road deaths. Oh and guess what, its working. Ireland is now the third lowest in Europe for road fatalities (we were the worst a few years ago) The people coming on here giving out about the speed checks, if there were people speeding up and down yer roads or if someone was killed in an accident where speed was involved, ye would be the first on here giving out about the guards and that they never do any speed traps on that road blah blah blah.

Final point, someone was giving out that the guards never do their tax or insurance at night or in the rain............. Have you ever seen the amount of drink driving checks at night time?? Same guards.

Sorry for the rant. I just think the guards are and easy target and the fact is Limerick is a much safer place because of the work they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

This reminds me of something that happened to my dads office in limerick. They is an apartment at the top. The guy living there rang my dad saying someone had broken into the building.

My dad rang the guards around 11 am on a sunday. Guy living in apartment rang my dad again saying the person was trying to break down his door with some kind of mechanical devise and he was holding the other side. Me and my dad rushed into the offices then ringing the guards again saying the guy's in the partemnt life was in danger that someone was trying to break down his door.

Again they said they would be straight up. By the time we got there the guy had left , he hadn't got into the guys apartment luckily but he had trashed every office in the building.

At 4 o 'clock 5 hours from the first call the guards arrived. 2, 5 foot nothing female guards and they just said sorry we were busy blah blah blah. I don't know how guards expect any respect with this kind of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Raiser wrote: »
    Rang them because someone was being assaulted on our road in broad daylight. Gave details of those involved and precise descriptions of the exact location. Gardaí were not slow to arrive, were not anxious to leave without being sufficiently thorough etc. - they just simply did not bother to show up...... Now imagine if that person was you or your Mother or Father, Sister or Brother lying helplessly on the ground being kicked in the face.....

Any idea why they were so carefree and relaxed about it? Yep - Limerick Gardaí never bothered to show this time either...... So why would these Scum fear any consequences?

I think the impression most people in Limerick have always had is that the Gardaí were hopelessly out of their depth when it came to tackling Limericks Scumbags - but to have it so clearly confirmed that they simply do not care about Joe Citizen is an eye opener for me.

The moral of the story is that if you ever have a genuine emergency and fear for the safety of yourself or your family you should drive to the nearest flyover and ask the brave and diligent crime fighters running that particular speed trap for help in person.....

- They should be ashamed to cash the pay cheques we the tax-paying Public hand them each month :mad:

Rasier that is awlful man, Gardai are a complete waste of space every one of them, i live in Dublin and unfortunatly street justice has taking over, its not nice but its effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

bullets wrote: »
    I already mentioned this story here in the past on a different thread...

Had a suspicious guy Knock on the door of my house before
    checking to see if anyone answered the door. He made up some excuse asking
    if there was someone named Mike or Dave or something living here and walked off.
    It was day time between 14:00 and 16:00

Kept an eye on him going into other peoples houses. Going around peoples
    backs, tugging at side windows etc Rang Roxboro to report it.
    (If I was to ring Henry street they would tell me to Ring Roxboro as its not their area)

Time went by...No sign of any member of the Gardai arriving

Guy Breaks into a neighbours house and spends Ages robbing the place.

Ring Roxboro again, tell them on the phone he's actually IN the house.

no sign of a Garda Car arriving.

Guy Leaves the house with a big gear bag full of loot.

Nearly sure I rang Roxboro again to say yer man was hopping a fence and
    making his getaway through a different estate on foot.

(At this point I went out the door of my house hopped on my bi-cycle and made a
    start to follow the guy but thoughts of what if he turned and attacked me and my own safety kicked in,
    and I felt the adrenaline pump and I must admit my knees started to wobble when I peddled which was
    a strange sensation as I had not felt it before, it was not fear but a more sudden sense of sh1t what will I do if I catch up to this guy, and also the Guy saw me as he talked to me earlier and the fecker
    might come back for revenge if I approach him or point him out to the cop's etc)

Not Garda Car arrived.

That evening I was glued to my window waiting for the Owners to get home,
    A women arrived home (I did not know the neighbours) I rushed down to the house
    to warn her as I did not want her to go in the house and get a shock or be afraid in case she thought someone was still in the house.

The Gardai were rang AGAIN... it was night time and Dark and eventually
    an unmarked car with 2 detectives turned up and took statements.

I gave them a roll of film as I had taken photos of the guy breaking into the house
    which I never heard anything about, and also a few days later looked at Mugshots
    but never heard anything more about the case and if yer man was caught.

I still to this day have a hard time trying to get over why the hell there was such
    a lack of response.

~B

so you just sat there taking pictures? Did it not occur to you to actually stop him at any stage?

I'm not excusing the fact there was no gardai on the scene but really the only people who can effectively keep a community safe are the people living there.

Theres a lack of response from the authorities alright but also from the average individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Sunn wrote: »
    so you just sat there taking pictures? Did it not occur to you to actually stop him at any stage?

I'm not excusing the fact there was no gardai on the scene but really the only people who can effectively keep a community safe are the people living there.

Theres a lack of response from the authorities alright but also from the average individual.

are you serious? im pretty sure the gardai tell people not to approach people robbing a house its not the smartest thing to do. The gardai are trained and paid to deal with these situations, the average individual is not..i think taking the pictures was the best thing he could do he had pictures of the person he could give them to the gardai..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement