Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franks RedHot Sauce

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

D1976 wrote: »
    Never seen a 12oz bottle here unless you're talking about that gank Buffalo sauce with the substitute butter inside made for people who cant melt butter in a pot and add Franks and stir.

I've only seen the 5oz bottle here at €2 - €2.50 a bottle
    I have never seen a 5oz bottle here, it must be miniscule! I have only seen it in a few shops it was always the 12oz bottle and I got mine for €2.99 in eurospar (not on offer), it was the same price in supervalu, they had a 12oz wing sauce which was more expensive, maybe €3.50 but the one for 2.99 were red hot original.

It is not surprising that musgraves are more expensive, many people blindly presume it must be cheaper there, or cheaper to buy in bulk -it comes up in the consumer issues form a lot, as though there is a law in place saying bulk MUST be cheaper!

Catering bags of suicra sugar in musgraves are good bit more than buying 1kg bags in musgraves, sugar can be got far cheaper in supermarkets, along with other stuff like beer, coke, bars, spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭coffee to go

the_pod wrote: »
    I currently have 3 12oz bottles of Franks Original - one open at home, one the GFs place and an emergency backup :p
    Never heard of it before this thread and still haven't made the wings but it's great on nearly everything else :D
    Thanks to all who contributed to this thread

Leave work now. Go to shops. Buy wings. Go home. Cook wings. Eat wings. Then you may properly join the cult of Frank. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

am i the only one here who thinks its tastes poor?

bought it in superquin thinking it was "red hot sauce" ie HOT, but it was tame at best and flavourless.

Tabasco FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

TBH I don't find it that hot either but I love the tangy taste.
    I use Tabasco (original and the habanero one) in sauces, soups etc (anything liquid you can mix) but like Franks as a sauce to just lash onto other stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

Have to say lads I bought 5 bottles of Franks red hot sauce at Superquinn.

I never tasted the sauce before but because of the massive interest in the sauce here I said I would try it!!!

I tried it as prepared in page 6 of this thread with and without butter. I used flour and cornflour mixed etc.

May I say it was the worst sauce I have ever tasted, really it was horrible, it was nothing but vinegar.....

It was the original sauce not the buffalo sauce. :mad:

Does anybody know of any other sauce that is hot and spicy like the one you sometimes get already prepared on chicken pieces or wings in most supermarkets.

Thanks in advance if you can point me in the right direction.

On the other hand lads , maybe I opened a dodgy bottle but everybody in the the household here reacted the same, Vinegar Vinegar Vinegar.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Try the following, never lets me down

Franks Red Hot Chicken Wings

Ingredients

Box of chicken wings
    Bottle of Franks Red Hot Sauce
    30g Stork Margarine or Butter

Cut your wings at the two joints and discard the tips.

Place wings on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or greaseproof and cook in the oven at 180degrees until golden brown.

Melt margarine/butter in a pan with 100ml of Franks and mix together

Put wings in a serving dish and pour sauce over them and eat with plenty of cold beers.

No worries, just really like my Franks.

Asked a guy in the canteen in work can he get some and he said Musgrave sell it for €20 for a gallon and will get it for me so happy days. Someone should set up a facebook Franks Appreciation page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Someone should set up a facebook Franks Appreciation page

Like this one?
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Franks-Red-Hot-Sauce/33387181638

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

tried this for the first time today (on ribs), and it was good, but not as brilliant as everyone makes it out to be, maybe the wing sauce might be nicer

also put some Reggae Reggae Jerk/BBQ on some of them and preferred that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

tried this for the first time today (on ribs), and it was good, but not as brilliant as everyone makes it out to be, maybe the wing sauce might be nicer

also put some Reggae Reggae Jerk/BBQ on some of them and preferred that tbh

A lot of people would agree with you. I put it down to Irish people expecting every sauce to be laden with sugar and more or less the exact same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

For all the Franks Red Hot fans here (and I'm definetly one with my 1 gallon bottle in the fridge!!) and lovers of Pizza here's the definitive heaven (or possibly hell) dinner on a plate.

http://www.pmq.com/tt2/recipe/view/id_1/title_Buffalo-Style-Chicken-Pizza-with-Frank%E2%80%99s-RedHot/

Haven't tried it myself (yet) but will do over the next week or two and see whether it combines two great foods into one incredible dish or is a complete disaster!!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

I am a big fan of the original chicken wings from Elephant & Castle/Tribeca, but after trying Franks, I was a little disappointed. Very very 'vinegary'. I love balsamic sauces but this was just sharp crap vinegar. Had to add sugar and other touches to make it ok. Still would not think its as good as everyone says.

Try this Irishrossoblu, add butter or margarine to combat the vinegar taste. E&C use Franks Red Hot Sauce

Franks Red Hot Chicken Wings

Ingredients

Box of chicken wings
    Bottle of Franks Red Hot Sauce
    30g Stork Margarine or Butter

Place wings on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or greaseproof and cook in the oven at 180degrees until golden brown.

Melt margarine/butter in a pan with 100ml of Franks and mix together

Put wings in a serving dish and pour sauce over them and eat with plenty of cold beers.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2008/0823/1219355296065.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just back from dunnes cournelscourt, franks original redhot €1.99 said it is on until 03/03/10 standard 12oz bottle. The other wing sauce was on offer too think the same price. Brian O'Driscoll was also there signing stuff, would still be there now queues for him were massive.

There was about 10 left after I took my haul.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Going to try make these at the weekend.

Please can anyone explain (in plain english!) what the above means.

What exactly do I do?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Diagrams/pics would be good if poss!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it means cut off the boney end which has no meat on it, so you're left with one oval piece, like this:

ChickenWings.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

A wing has three parts (two joints) and the smaller end part is not very edible so just throw these out.

Look at a raw wing and you'll know which part to bin, the end bit is a waste of sauce, there's no meat on them.

Thanks Groutch & Todd!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

amdublin wrote: »
    Diagrams/pics would be good if poss!!!!
    think of it as a little chicken arm and cut it through the elbow and wrist and throw away the hand.

of course now none of you are ever going to eat chicken again now, but that just means there's more for ME! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Jasus Lads. Buying your sauce from england?

You can buy the one gallon tubs in Musgraves C&C of around €20. Just go to an indian shop and buy a tin of butter Ghee. Its clarified butter. The butter you are supposed to mix with franks hot sauce. None of this Butter and Stork margarine sh1t. Just stick with the mix on the hot sauce bottle.

And stay away from theFranks buffalo wing sauce that has the butter in it. Its manky.

Swampy wrote: »
    And stay away from theFranks buffalo wing sauce that has the (alleged) butter in it. Its manky.

fixed it for you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Anyone know of a place stocking it in Northside Dublin/City Centre?
    Checked plenty of shops on dame street & only found the buffalo sauce in one of the londis shops, also tried the new superquinn in ashtown and was disappointed to find it wasn't there :(
    If anyone has any wisdom to share it would be appreciated!

not northside i know, but i happened to be in the dunnes stores in the sandyford business park on saturday and they had the franks original for €1.99 for the big bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

I'm pretty sure Dunnes in Ongar have it - got it there before but haven't checked lately as I'm fairly well stocked at the moment ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Snaggle0705

Guys,
    Bought 8 bottles of this in Dunnes Stores, Manor Mills, Maynooth on Saturday... They have 'hot' and 'cayenne pepper' versions... had to sample same last night on some wings YUM! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

I don't like wasting the tips. I cook them for longer on a lower heat so they go crunchy (like chicken jerky), and eat the whole things with a few beers. The bones are small enough to crunch right through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Just joined the legend that is Franks sauce..

I made the wings today and my Christ they were superb.

Even the missus who said she didnt want any was pleading for the last one..:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

revz wrote: »
    Anyone know of a place stocking it in Northside Dublin/City Centre?

Dunnes in Charlestown Shopping Centre have the Cayenne Pepper and Hot ones.

I bought a bottle to see what the fuss was about and it definitely is THE wing sauce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Guess i'll have to get a lift out to charlestown or something!
    Even tried fallon&byrne today, the place in town that's supposed to import all these american goods (even though it would cost like €7 a bottle or something..) and it wasn't there. Ridiculous!

Advertisement