Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi folks - I'm abusing Admin privilege by spamming you to mention that an all round super guy & DCNer - fergal.b - is in with a chance to be named Ireland's DIY King.

If you have a spare 60 seconds & can give him your vote all the details are in this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Done - and best of luck to Fergal :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Voted and got OH to vote :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Woo-hoo he won :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I just saw that on FB.

Well done Fergal! A worthy winner!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Congratulations Fergal :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Cyclists at Blakes Cross around 7 this morning...just rear lights, dark clothing. Same earlier this week. They are noticeable, but could be more so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

64845_1_1483193912.jpg

Reported this via fixyourstreet.ie - hopefully it'll be sorted soon.

They tend to respond quickly. Hopefully there'll be something in it that will help to identify the offenders, dumping stuff like that is just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

64845_1_1483193912.jpg

Reported this via fixyourstreet.ie - hopefully it'll be sorted soon.

Bring bank area at Barnageerah is prone to people bringing furniture, televisions, carpets, mattresses and other stuff they either leave beside the containers or throw over the wall down the cliff. Can't understand that if people have cars they could just drive the stuff to the regular places for this. Not all bad, got a nice pyrex flan dish there that someone was too lazy to break up and put in the clear glass container :D

• Advertisement

Our Fergalb had a heart attack last night but has posted that he is now doing well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102663819&postcount=229

Continued best wishes for a full recovery Fergal!

Oh that's awful - I was just reading about him and his new boat during the week.

Best wishes to Fergal for a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed the ever increasing amount of small carrier bag's filled with rubbish been obviously dumped out car windows on to the side of the road's and footpath's,around NCD.
    They seem to be increasing in number daily,absolutely disgusting carry on,I'd have no bother reporting the culprit's if I saw them,as I report any litter and fly tipping I come across to the warden's,the birch would be too good for the gurrier's.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,480 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lot's of reports of increased fly-tipping in the UK recently, and I suspect it's something that's escalating over here. When they start charging by weight it may get even worse unfortunately.

Recently a lot of the green bin waste we export has been returned because it was so contaminated. Apparently people are hiding household waste in it. Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown council are implementing a pilot scheme using cameras to monitor this practice. If they start charging by weight the will be a lot of people who simply won't be able to afford it and then it'll become a huge problem..
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0223/854936-green-bins-recycling/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Recently a lot of the green bin waste we export has been returned because it was so contaminated. Apparently people are hiding household waste in it. Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown council are implementing a pilot scheme using cameras to monitor this practice. If they start charging by weight the will be a lot of people who simply won't be able to afford it and then it'll become a huge problem..
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0223/854936-green-bins-recycling/

Frankly, that's their own problem. Waste charges are quite small in the grand scheme of things and quite frankly I'm disgusted by people who do what is being reported. The sooner the better culprits are held to account

Uriel. wrote: »
    Frankly, that's their own problem. Waste charges are quite small in the grand scheme of things and quite frankly I'm disgusted by people who do what is being reported. The sooner the better culprits are held to account

So am I, there's absolutely no excuse for it - but human nature being what it is you just know it's going to happen. Probably with the Anti Austerity Alliance egging them on to let it all pile up :rolleyes:

Just came across this on you tube ,a plane crash at Dublin Airport in 1961,blocking the ''new'' Dublin/Belfast rd ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMFMZyHlJP8 ... new edit add on ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDdO_I7Usk ,at least the 2 garda got their tae and dinner.

Reminiscing, the late great Jack Monk's(for ye that did't know the land river valley and surrounding estate's were built on Jack's land) the money never changed him ,he was a great character,salt of the earth Fingal man,it's great it was caught on video.
    Growing up in Fingal ,it was the people like him that made the area,times were hard back then,but people allway's had time to laugh and chat with a neighbour or be there if they were stuck.
    Along side the video's are clip's of that most hidden and one of Fingal's hidden best kept secret pub's ,the Boot Inn,(with Jet's)behind it .. Fingal is a special place ,but it's it's people that make it so ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLnZzY6RxLc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

dslamjack wrote: »
    Just came across this on you tube ,a plane crash at Dublin Airport in 1961,blocking the ''new'' Dublin/Belfast rd ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMFMZyHlJP8 ... new edit add on ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDdO_I7Usk ,at least the 2 garda got their tae and dinner.

The pilot missed the Control Tower, on the old Airport Building, and then missed Kiely's, a great piece of flying.:eek:

• Advertisement

Thank God,they missed Kealy's, in the auld day's if you wanted anything done in the Airport,that was the place to go,for a cup of tae,if you take me drift.

dslamjack you'll probably know about Usher's Lake up along the Ward river between Knocksedan and Swords Manor. Looks like the council might be going to develop it.

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2017/02/28/swords-hidden-gem/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

dslamjack you'll probably know about Usher's Lake up along the Ward river between Knocksedan and Swords Manor. Looks like the council might be going to develop it.

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2017/02/28/swords-hidden-gem/

Eugh my major fear there is they always love to acknowledge and play up the wonderful diverse wildlife but as soon as that wildlife gets in the way developments for human enjoyment that positivity quickly turns to negativity. Hopefully they develop a biodiversity plan for the the site and not allow to much destructions the natural beauty by human intervention

I do indeed ,D, absolutely beautiful spot , lost and hidden,which is what make's it so special.
    Untouched and a natural fishery,I have to agree with Uriel,I hope the council don't start putting in huge car park's and clearing tree's for path's etc,it should be left as untouched as possible.
    It has been a totally wild nature reserve for year's,it will probably need year's of silt and compacted rotten vegetation removed,and work done like they did with the river Tolka ,where they created pool's at certain point's in the river bed for fish etc ,all under the guidance of the inland fisheries.
    It's a good news story for a change,hopefully it will be a huge success,just like the transformation of the Tolka from an open sewer to a wonderful fishery and amenity for angler's young and old,and local people,well done FCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Best of luck to 4Star Pizza, who have opened up at the rear of Costcutter in Lusk. It was a shame when they lost the Post Office, especially when I heard the PostMaster on Radio, at a recent protest outside the Dail saying she is worried about having just signed a new lease.

Welcome the new jobs, and the smell in the shop, wonderful.

I finally managed to find the harbour in Skerries, what a lovely place! We'd a great walk, explored the little garden at the end, spent a bit of time trying to see if we could figure out where Rockabill was etc.

Definitely somewhere to laze away a sunny afternoon :)

The tiny beach at the far side of the Lifeboat building is beautiful on a sunny day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

Just saw this on facebook. Jets niteclub at the Boot Inn 1987. Wouldn't surprise me if some might recognise a few faces.

VIDEO: Jets nightclub at the Boot Inn, Swords, 1987
    beware: this footage contain images of mullets, moustaches, big hair, shoulder pads and shameless displays of air guitar solos that some of our readers might find distressing!"

• Advertisement

Anyone know why there was an armed garda checkpoint earlier in Malahide?

Advertisement