Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday night sightings time for Shuttle and ISS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Didn't know we could see it again, thought it was a once off deal. Don't think I'll be seeing it again tonight, pretty thick cloud here in Kildare.

No need for wikipedia, the only thing i knew for certain that the iss was the International Space Station :D I thought we could see that most nights anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

leelee_m wrote: »
    Hey Guys been keeping an eye on this thread today, thanks for all the great info! Was hoping to see the iss and shuttle tonight but the clouds are thick here tonight in meath, not a break in them at all :( Doubtful that they'll clear in time.

Hiya Lee Lee M

sheer pity bout this weather , real bummer specailly for july ( the middle of the so called summer )

Hope it clears for us ALL :mad:

Regards
    Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

I shall be sitting out tonight again, to view them :)

Suzannem

ISS due at 22:26 till 22: 36pm

its just off the coast of Florida at the moment
    Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Yeah the weather is sooo disappointing, got to see the ISS last night for a few seconds through a break in the clouds but missed the shuttle. was pretty disappointed! Fingers crossed for at least a few patches of clear sky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Clouds & Heavy rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Stargate wrote: »
    Suzannem

ISS due at 22:26 till 22: 36pm

its just off the coast of Florida at the moment
    Stargate

What direction do you look for it tonight ?

hellboy99 wrote: »
    What direction do you look for it tonight ?

It'll rise in the west, and set ESE.

Weather couldn't be better here in East Galway, perfectly clear sky!

always from the WEST travelling EAst

3 MINUTES TO VIEWING ON ISS

GOOD LUCK ALL:D

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I hate summer. Nothing like a freezing clear winter night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just after looking outside, all cloud :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Don't think I'll be seeing anything tonight, far too cloudy.

ISS overhead , damn big black cloud , :mad:

its clear to the west , fingers crossed for the SS :)

Stargate

Anybody see the ISS pass now?

SS will be here at 22:56 start and finish at 23:04 FROM THE WEST

wish you all luck for the next pass

Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Totally missed it was out since 10:20 went right behind a cloud :( only saw it moving away between two trees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Saw it here in Westport... it was visible but then went over a cloud, then became visible again. We should have a decent view of the Space Shuttle in 20 minutes. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

A huge cumulous cloud just moved in as I spotted the ISS. It got the see it as it made it over the cloud about 10 secs after it reached maximum altitude. Hope it clears off for a clear patch for the shuttle in 15 minutes. ISS was nice through the binoculars, used a pillar for stabilization. Can see the 2 rectangles of solar trusses.

EDIT: Massive cumulous clouds moving in, they're the scariest cumulous clouds I've seen in my life. Hopefully the shuttle will come before them, but I dunno!

Saw it from horizon to horizon there (there are a few light clouds, but they just dimmed it).

Let's hope it'll hold for the SS.

Still 10:59 for shuttle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Whitnailni

just saw ISS in west clare, cloud moving in now though

• Advertisement

efla wrote: »
    Still 10:59 for shuttle?

Closer to 22:58 (for me anyway), but yah, around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Can someone tell me what exactly is an iss?

By accident last night I saw the thread about the space shuttle.

The first thing I seen last night was the actual space shuttle and fuel tank I take it? ( Two really bright dots).

Then seen an iss a while later which looked like a little bright dot.

So just wondering what am I seeing when things move in the sky? Its pretty cool to be honest seeing these man made things flying through space and seeing them from earth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭girloperfection

Raging i missed it, too cloudy :(
    hopefully see the shuttle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

joe123 wrote: »

The first thing I seen last night was the actual space shuttle and fuel tank I take it? ( Two really bright dots).

So just wondering what am I seeing when things move in the sky? Its pretty cool to be honest seeing these man made things flying through space and seeing them from earth!
    The ISS is a laboratory in space. It is the biggest man-made satellite going around the earth. For more info, look it up on wikipedia. :)
    That is what you saw last night, one dot should've been orange and the other white, but yes, that was the space shuttle the other dot was the external fuel tank (orange dot) which it discards after launch. It is making another pass in about 7 minutes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

It's the latest addition to the international space station, the shuttle is bringing it up.

:confused:

BBC Weather tells me I'll have a clear sky all night...

I'm going to wait up until half 2 because there's a -6 Iridium flare, which should be a good one (although it's only at an alt. of 18 degrees).

Check back through the thread, find the websites. You can see the ISS most nights more than once, and many other objects!
    BBC Weather tells me I'll have a clear sky all night...

I'm going to wait up until half 2 because there's a -6 Iridium flare, which should be a good one (although it's only at an alt. of 18 degrees).

I'm hoping for a good semi moon-free jupiter tonight, might stay up for that too

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bolty

Missed the ISS - aaahhh - was watching for it with my dad and little sister. Waiting for the shuttle. Should we look towards the horizon or up higher?? West?? Heeeeeeeeelp

Yah, the Moon's a bit of a pain. It's definitely the biggest pain in the night sky.

• Advertisement

bolty wrote: »
    Missed the ISS - aaahhh - was watching for it with my dad and little sister. Waiting for the shuttle. Should we look towards the horizon or up higher?? West?? Heeeeeeeeelp

www.heavens-above.com

Go there. Enter your location, and click on the predictions for ISS. It moves generally W-E, and tends to pass lower toward the southern horizon. Click on the time in the ISS prediction tables in the website and it will show you exactly where to look. In general, you should always look west to begin

Advertisement