Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday night sightings time for Shuttle and ISS

Options
  • 16-07-2009 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

By my reckoning ISS sighting at 10-29pm tonight
    Shuttle at 10-58pm
    Is this correct your man from astronamy ireland said 11-30 onwards :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

decies wrote: »
    By my reckoning ISS sighting at 10-29pm tonight
    Shuttle at 10-58pm
    Is this correct your man from astronamy ireland said 11-30 onwards :confused:
    You are correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm surprised your man from AI didn't mention a time but invited people to call 1550-QCK-BUCK for the info instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there any point in getting a telescope for these sightings??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

fryup wrote: »
    is there any point in getting a telescope for these sightings??

No it will still only be a bright dot!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Beeker wrote: »
    No it will still only be a bright dot!

and the fact its travelling at speed??

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    and the fact its travelling at speed??
    True its travelling 17500mph

You can use a telescope to look at the ISS if the scope has a computer controlled drive. You can either update the info used by the telescope's controller or, more conveniently, use a software package like Starry Night Pro to guide the scope from your laptop. I've never done it myself but I'd imagine that trying to physically look through the scope while it's tracking the ISS could be fairly uncomfortable. I'd be more inclined to pop a camera on the scope and take a photo, or some video if I was doing that. It's possible but might not be worth it for only two minutes viewing. If you're out observing anyway, it might be worth trying for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

How long wil this be visible tonight for guys? Wil it just be for like a minute like last night. I dont know much about physics etc but i presume as the earth is spinning we wont see it for too long. Also is it docking at the ISS tonight?

visit http://www.heavens-above.com and set up your location. That'll give you all the information you need for viewing times for the ISS/Shuttle and how long each pass takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Dusty87 wrote: »
    How long wil this be visible tonight for guys? Wil it just be for like a minute like last night. I dont know much about physics etc but i presume as the earth is spinning we wont see it for too long. Also is it docking at the ISS tonight?

At the website above, you will see three times in the display, under 10 day predictions the the ISS. The first tells you when the station appears on your horizon, and gives a set of directions.

So, tonights pass begins at 22:29:17, appearing 10 degrees above the horizon (altitude), in the West (Azimuth). Click on the date for the star chart, and you will see that it passes almost directly overhead.

The time in the next column is the maximum time, at 22:32:11, 59 degrees above the horizon, to the south. The following time is the end time.

The 'Mag' figure is the apparent magnitude under optimum conditions (click on the mag tab for an explanation, the lower, the brighter).

Any sign of a possible sticky like jammydodger suggested?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Dusty87 wrote: »

6 minutes from 22:29:20 to 22:35:08

http://www.heavens-above.com/gtrack.asp?date=40010.8973928009&lat=53.333&lng=-6.250&alt=9&loc=Dublin&TZ=GMT&satid=25544

;)

ISS Passes:
    • 22:29 to 22:35; max. brightness @: ~22:32; W to ESE; max. alt.: ~65 degrees (~6 stacked fists high at arms length); max. mag.: -3.3 (very bright).
    • 00:04 to 00:08; max. brightness @: ~00:07; W to SSW; max. alt.: ~30 degrees (~3 stacked fists high at arms length); max. mag.: -2.4 (pretty bright).
    Space Shuttle Passes:
    • 22:58 to 23:08; max. brightness: ~23:00; W to ESE; max. alt.: ~46 degrees (5 stacked fists at arms length); max. mag.: -1.8 (fairly bright).
    Once you see the first ISS pass go out of view at ~ 22:35, the Space Shuttle will be coming into view ~23 minutes later. It'll be rising in the exact same spot as the ISS did, it'll be setting in the exact same spot as the ISS did, and it'll travel the exact same route as the ISS did.

To view the orbits, go here.

(It'd be brilliant if we could get the above info. into an announcement, mods?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ncarr

squonk wrote: »
    I'm surprised your man from AI didn't mention a time but invited people to call 1550-QCK-BUCK for the info instead :)

"Heaven Above" is a fantastic site and it's free.If you go to Astronomy Ireland I think they want you to phone a premium line for the information. It's all free in "Heavens Above"

Here's some info. for people who want to see what the weather conditions will be like. It's updated every 30 minutes or so. BBC Weather is pretty good, too. It's predicting a nice clear patch sweeping over the country from 21:00 onwards. Looks like people in both the West and South will be the lucky ones tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Anyone know a good place to go to hav a good view of the sky IN THE
    DUBLIN/WICKLOW AREA??????????????????????????????????????

Weather's not lookin good for 2nite but ya never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

squonk wrote: »

Yeah, that is shameful. Enticing people into the hobby to make a few quid from a phone service selling you the info NASA will provide for free. Its like paying for a bus timetable...

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Anyone know a good place to go to hav a good view of the sky IN THE
    DUBLIN/WICKLOW AREA??????????????????????????????????????

Weather's not lookin good for 2nite but ya never know!

You don't need to go to that sort of trouble. The Shuttle & ISS are very bright objects so you'll have no trouble seeing them even with streetlights around. If you can find a sheltered area where lights aren't directly shining in your field of view, then all the better. Places like a back garden with a good southerly view are good. If you do get out into the country, the objects are amazingly bright then. If in general you are looking for a good spot, you could always try the Phoenix park in Dublin itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭cambridge7

This is a good site for real live tracking of Endeavour, ISS and other sats. www.n2yo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hadouken!!

Serious rain out my way earlier but has settled down now. Still pretty much full cloud cover though so not looking good for tonight :(

Shows how lucky we were weather wise for last night though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Sat images of Met suggest anyone will have to be very lucky to see a pass. Virtually non-existant chance in the east, you'd need some serious luck in the midlands. The West is the best, and even then it ain't great. North is same as West. South is poor. I'll need some serious luck here in the south-west. What's visibility like at everyone else's location?

If we don't see the shuttle and station tonight, there's still a chance to see them for a night after seperation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

ISS Passes:
    • 22:29 to 22:35; max. brightness @: ~22:32; W to ESE; max. alt.: ~65 degrees (~6 stacked fists high at arms length); max. mag.: -3.3 (very bright).
    • 00:04 to 00:08; max. brightness @: ~00:07; W to SSW; max. alt.: ~30 degrees (~3 stacked fists high at arms length); max. mag.: -2.4 (pretty bright).
    Space Shuttle Passes:
    • 22:58 to 23:08; max. brightness: ~23:00; W to ESE; max. alt.: ~46 degrees (5 stacked fists at arms length); max. mag.: -1.8 (fairly bright).

I love the stacked fists.... I guess from the south side of Clew Bay I'll have to adjust for Croagh Patrick...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Hadouken!! wrote: »
    Serious rain out my way earlier but has settled down now. Still pretty much full cloud cover though so not looking good for tonight :(

Shows how lucky we were weather wise for last night though :D

Hadouken!! How are you?
    wx here in Cork very overcast

heres a link which might be of some use to a few people to check wx conditions

http://www.irelandsweather.com/

Regards
    Stargate

Yoda wrote: »
    I love the stacked fists.... I guess from the south side of Clew Bay I'll have to adjust for Croagh Patrick...

Hiya jumpguy

You must have been thinking along the same lines as myself :D

very dull and overcast here in Cork
    Regards
    Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

F*cking clouds over Tallaght :( Any prospect of them p*ssing off?

BBC Weather gives a pretty good prediction for anybody in the West and Midlands. I'm right at the top of Lough Derg in that image, so it's saying it'll be relatively clear for me.

(Click on the map that it shows, and then from the drop down menu select British Isles, you can use the slide bar at the bottom to vary the time.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

BBC Weather gives a pretty good prediction for anybody in the West and Midlands. I'm right at the top of Lough Derg in that image, so it's saying it'll be relatively clear for me.

(Click on the map that it shows, and then from the drop down menu select British Isles, you can use the slide bar at the bottom to vary the time.)
    Ahh thanks for that, looks like I'll be okay. Clouds are breaking abit here now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Clear skies in Kerry,I hope they stay,Setting up my camera for a long exposure... :)

Test shot:Cloud free
    D27131424D0E49C3BB966FAB51FA8A28-500.jpg

If the ISS follows the same route as yesterday,Before shuttle launch it should go from bottom left of my camera frame to top right ish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

Seen it last night out or this world.
    Tonight fecken rain

Ricky91t

send that weather up here to me in Cork Please !! :D

nice foto by the way !

Stargate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It doesn't look as clear as last night, and you can see more cloud cover pushing in from the S/SE here.

Advertisement