Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Big fresh fish being reported from the river maine in kerry... 12 pound bar of sliver....

Undulates and stingers all being caught in tralee bay at the moment... 40 pound stinger caught by local angler while fishing with sea angler magazines journalists... It should be in next months mag...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

lol... how you do that... !!!

• Advertisement

danbrosnan wrote: »
    lol... how you do that... !!!

Right click on the image you want and click copy image URL, when you go to post here then click the box that says inserts image and paste the URL in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

So, myself an a friend were in Dun Laoighre trying for some mackerel. I st up one rod on a cigar float and the other on feathers, just incase there was a shoal, I set the depth knot to high an when I was reelin in my first cast on the float it got caught on rocks! Tried for bout 10 mins to free it up with no joy so the line snapped above the float, we could see it just under the surface, after bout 5 mins of watchin it, it disappeared!! Another 15 mins pass an the float reappears!! Grabbed the rod with the feathers on it to try get my tackle back, worked out well as I got the float an stuff back but there was a nice 2.5-3lb wrasse on the end of the line!!!! Couldn belive my luck, and neither could the other anglers on the pier!!!
    I have pics but can't seem to put them up!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=666229760058834&l=14b20d9f44

We had an all nighter at in derrymore island on wednesday night, 16 undulate ray, 3 throwback, 3 bass, doggys and flounders...

danbrosnan wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=666229760058834&l=14b20d9f44

We had an all nighter at in derrymore island on wednesday night, 16 undulate ray, 3 throwback, 3 bass, doggys and flounders...

Still cant insert the image it wont read when i insert the copyed link...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

gumbo1 wrote: »
    So, myself an a friend were in Dun Laoighre trying for some mackerel. I st up one rod on a cigar float and the other on feathers, just incase there was a shoal, I set the depth knot to high an when I was reelin in my first cast on the float it got caught on rocks! Tried for bout 10 mins to free it up with no joy so the line snapped above the float, we could see it just under the surface, after bout 5 mins of watchin it, it disappeared!! Another 15 mins pass an the float reappears!! Grabbed the rod with the feathers on it to try get my tackle back, worked out well as I got the float an stuff back but there was a nice 2.5-3lb wrasse on the end of the line!!!! Couldn belive my luck, and neither could the other anglers on the pier!!!
    I have pics but can't seem to put them up!!

That's some wrasse for the East Coast

• Advertisement

Loads of macks in black head co clare yesterday evening at high tide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

About 5.5 feet long and 35lb in weight.

Swimming around nibbling at my bait and then fighting with another conger eel in a mere 4 feet of water.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jwkbyrne

it can really only accomadate a small number of rods. In recent years it's been discovered by eastern europeans who seem to fish it whatever the weather at substantial risk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5f7E95Vmbs
    jaysus, they're off they're heads, that's insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

saw a few large fish jumping in water last night when there was a large shoal of polllock and a few mackerel in... could they have been salmon?

Also, there is a large gullet where I fish and was bringing up feathers and next thing boom, something's tugging away on line and the rods bending over, and hides back under a rock, and had no choice but to break line (it broke itself once a few times too) and then when we try again, same thing happens although sometimes it lets go, either a monster of a Pollock or crabs (brought one up last year attached to the weight lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Stressica wrote: »
    saw a few large fish jumping in water last night when there was a large shoal of polllock and a few mackerel in... could they have been salmon?

Also, there is a large gullet where I fish and was bringing up feathers and next thing boom, something's tugging away on line and the rods bending over, and hides back under a rock, and had no choice but to break line (it broke itself once a few times too) and then when we try again, same thing happens although sometimes it lets go, either a monster of a Pollock or crabs (brought one up last year attached to the weight lol)

Large fish were Bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

that's what I thought, they've never been caught where I am (although to tell you truth never tried), People catch a lot on the beach though. yesterday they were far out enough though, near a rocky outcrop

so far what I have caught where we are is mackerel/pollock/wrasse and I've heard people caught a few lings.

crab be a good bait for them? as wrasse feed on the bottom where do bass feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Bass can show up anywhere. If they are bashing the Macks and Pollock then use something to imitate a Mack or a Pollock, or stick a live one on under a float. Crab will work for Bass, freeline a peeler 2-3 breakers out always works but if they are tuned in on fish then its best to imitate what they are feeding on. Bass feed top and bottom, my favourite method is surface lures as the takes are explosive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Wont start a new thread for this....its more of pub question :pac:

Does anyone know what a conor (connor?) fish is? I have seen them mentioned in a local history book i am just finished reading. Paraphrasing but the book said during the famine locals sustained their diet with "mackerel, pollock and conor fish". Also the wifes friend told me she went out with her uncle during the summer and caught a conor fish as described by her uncle ( an elderly man) and he kept it and cleaned it for the pan.

I dont have an iota :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Connor is a cork name for a ballan wrasse. At least I only every heard it in west cork.

Thanks Srameen. I had a feeling it was but the wife's friend said it wasn't one (after I showed her a picture on my phone of one I had caught) although the coloration would be different as I caught mine off a beach.

This would be in south Kerry. I must tell them. Nice to see local names like that still in use too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

SeaFields wrote: »
    Thanks Srameen. I had a feeling it was but the wife's friend said it wasn't one (after I showed her a picture on my phone of one I had caught) although the coloration would be different as I caught mine off a beach.

This would be in south Kerry. I must tell them. Nice to see local names like that still in use too.

Interesting. In my Home place its known as a gunner. which is quite close. never had a clue of its origin though, had thought it might be a corruption of Gurnard (albeit not the same species)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rubyfynn

Caught 7 trout on the wry river on a size 3 meep in the flood in the very fast water

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rubyfynn

Last week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Size 3??
    That's big spiner for trout. Why size were they

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Had a day on the blackwater for Salmon yesterday.

Zilch.

Water was quite low in places. Spent at least 9 hours on the river and got about 20 tiny brownies 2 salmon parr and 2 dace of all things! No salmon though.

Pesky illusive salmon!

thehamo wrote: »

Zilch.

Water was quite low in places. Spent at least 9 hours on the river and got about 20 tiny brownies 2 salmon parr and 2 dace of all things! No salmon though.

Pesky illusive salmon!

There were a lot of fish being taken from the blackwater before the stretch of dry weather. You were unlucky if you had that day booked for awhile. I did a day in Sept a few years back on the blackwater, more of a lesson for me, as im not too proficient at salmon fishing. Got one myself and everyone else on the beat got at least one fish. Never saw so many salmon !

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Zilch.

Pesky illusive salmon!

what part of the river where you on ? i had 8 fish in a week then slowed up since last thursday all up very high on the river ,banteer & millstreet direction , i presume you were around fermoy if ya were getting dace and you were using worm ? i wont use the worm on low water i never got one on it

i lost a nice fish about 14lb ish but he was coloured gave a great fight just got off while landing him , most of the fish are starting to colour up now and this bright sunshine isnt going to help matters

im off to killavullen in the morning now and might go to ballyduff in the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I was down lismore direction. Fortwillliam. By all accounts no one on any of the beats had any fish. I only saw one fish jump the time I was there.

I caught the dace on a cascade fly none the less not a worm in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I was down lismore direction. Fortwillliam. By all accounts no one on any of the beats had any fish. I only saw one fish jump the time I was there.

I caught the dace on a cascade fly none the less not a worm in sight!

Interesting , I was taking to Paul about joining up this year but for the price i don't think it's worth it and it only fishes real well later in year

I'm off to ballyduff now tmw had a blank today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pike angler

Were on the boyne is good for salmon

Advertisement