Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

:( sad and happy tbh I like Coarse as much as Fly Fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

I still haven't as much as cast a fly yet this season.
    First time in years I haven't been out, once we get over this current bad spell of weather I'll give it a lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Tinytony wrote: »
    I still haven't as much as cast a fly yet this season.
    First time in years I haven't been out, once we get over this current bad spell of weather I'll give it a lash.
    Agreed, can't wait for good weather :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Had a few hours on Lough Aishling this morning. I knew it'd be tough so i tied up a load of buzzers and had a couple of minkies and boobies in the box too. Arrived over to the lake and it was blue skies, 20 something degrees and flat calm like a mirror with fish rising everywhere. Took out the rod, put on the reel and leader and.....no fúcking fly box, left the bastard on the bench at home beside the vice after all my tying.

I was absolutely sick with myself. Nearly turned the car to go home again but fair play to Joe, he pulled out a box of flies that someone had left behind ages ago and told me go on out and use them. He had a small selection for sale too so I got a few off him and away I went. He's a gent of the highest order.
    Anyway, I got 2 fish and rose about a half a dozen. And when I got home I put the bloody box in the bag!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Had a few hours on Lough Aishling this morning. I knew it'd be tough so i tied up a load of buzzers and had a couple of minkies and boobies in the box too. Arrived over to the lake and it was blue skies, 20 something degrees and flat calm like a mirror with fish rising everywhere. Took out the rod, put on the reel and leader and.....no fúcking fly box, left the bastard on the bench at home beside the vice after all my tying.

I was absolutely sick with myself. Nearly turned the car to go home again but fair play to Joe, he pulled out a box of flies that someone had left behind ages ago and told me go on out and use them. He had a small selection for sale too so I got a few off him and away I went. He's a gent of the highest order.
    Anyway, I got 2 fish and rose about a half a dozen. And when I got home I put the bloody box in the bag!!!

:D:D did the same a few weeks ago, set up the rod, and went for the fly box.... except there was no fly box! sat in a boat on lough ree and no flies!!:rolleyes:.. luckily i had the dapping rod, and the mayflies were out!!!

i rem 2 yrs ago being up the lake trolling in early season, had got some steaks for dinner, was lookin forward to them all morning and when landed on island for lunch... you guessed it,:rolleyes: forgot the pan!!!!

stroke of luck the plates were metal, so fried the steaks on a plate :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Off to Inchigeelagh http://www.corktourist.com/towns/inchigeelagh/ to grab some Pike. 24 hr session, hoping to get 3 or 4...

takin the 2 kids up lough ree 2moro,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Taking the girlfriend stockie bashing tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

ch750536 wrote: »
    Off to Inchigeelagh http://www.corktourist.com/towns/inchigeelagh/ to grab some Pike. 24 hr session, hoping to get 3 or 4...
    How did you get on ? I was up there last Tuesday and only managed 2 jacks at the end of the day.I was talking to Greg from the Tir na Spideoga lodge and he was saying it wasn't fishing great due to the waters still be quite cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Went in to the local tackle shop yesterday for a browse around and ended up buying a float-tube that that was on special offer (The box was wrecked and there was not instructions). Hoping to try it out this weekend. Incidentally, what do float-tube owners use for pumping it? I got a small 12v electric pump from argos but it's a bit **** - I'm think I'm going to go and get a hand or foot-pump.

• Advertisement

no fishing today:mad:.. rained till well into the afternoon! just couldnt be bothered when its like that any more, must be getting old:D:rolleyes:. 2 weeks without fishing now! need a fix soon:)... 3 days on mask next week should sort that!!.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Went out on the fly this evening for the first time in I don't know how long.
    Fished the Boyne with wets first then on to the dries right up to dark.
    Had a few on the wets all small then had 2 on a klinkhammer and two on a olive CDC emerger. Last fish was about 1/2 a pound so I was happy.

Went out on the fly this evening for the first time in I don't know how long.
    Fished the Boyne with wets first then on to the dries right up to dark.
    Had a few on the wets all small then had 2 on a klinkhammer and two on a olive CDC emerger. Last fish was about 1/2 a pound so I was happy.

I hadn't so much as a pluck for 4 hours on the Boyne earlier on my usual river dries and nymphs so I started experimenting with random stuff and got a pike on an Alexandra!! I was just getting really p!ssed off too, lost a few flies on high banks on the backcast and it lashed rain for a good while so it was great to actually catch something

damagegt wrote: »
    How did you get on ? I was up there last Tuesday and only managed 2 jacks at the end of the day.I was talking to Greg from the Tir na Spideoga lodge and he was saying it wasn't fishing great due to the waters still be quite cold.

Sat night had a great time with the baitfish. We had deadbait out on 4 rods most of the night, mixed depths etc on the south road, about 600m clockwise from the holiday home. No pike.

Sunday we hired a boat and hit 7 different spots, all shallow (warmer water) I drew a blank (was on a lure only as the boat was a bit busy) one guy caught a 5lb. Other than that the usual level of meetings.

We found plenty of evidence of pike being killed again though. Fisheries guys were there at 8pm on a bank holiday weekend, fair play to them.

I hadn't so much as a pluck for 4 hours on the Boyne earlier on my usual river dries and nymphs so I started experimenting with random stuff and got a pike on an Alexandra!! I was just getting really p!ssed off too, lost a few flies on high banks on the backcast and it lashed rain for a good while so it was great to actually catch something

I missed a few plucks from the tiddlers alright, it was frustrating on the dry cause I was casting to rising fish and not getting much, a downstream wind made presentation difficult. Where do you mainly fish? Maybe we could meet up and chuck a line one of the evenings? Compare tactics:D

I fish mainly around the Longwood area(where i live)- near the Boyne Aquaduct, Scariff, Inchamore and Castlerickard. Where do you go yourself? I'd defo be on for a meet up some time, mind you I don't think you'll learn much from me except my patented Overhead tangle-cast:D

I fish mainly around the Longwood area(where i live)- near the Boyne Aquaduct, Scariff, Inchamore and Castlerickard. Where do you go yourself? I'd defo be on for a meet up some time, mind you I don't think you'll learn much from me except my patented Overhead tangle-cast:D

Mostly between Navan and Trim and on the Blackwater as far as Kells.
    Only getting back into it now after a few years absence from fly fishing after all my gear was stolen from my van:(
    Hitting EBay hard to get the fly stock back up:D
    We can introduce eachother to our local beats and compare our overhead tangle casts:D

ch750536 wrote: »
    Sat night had a great time with the baitfish. We had deadbait out on 4 rods most of the night, mixed depths etc on the south road, about 600m clockwise from the holiday home. No pike.

Sunday we hired a boat and hit 7 different spots, all shallow (warmer water) I drew a blank (was on a lure only as the boat was a bit busy) one guy caught a 5lb. Other than that the usual level of meetings.

We found plenty of evidence of pike being killed again though. Fisheries guys were there at 8pm on a bank holiday weekend, fair play to them.
    WHAT! Are people killing the pike up there ? I just found this place in the last few months and have become addicted to pike fishing.I couldn't think of anything worse then killing one of them.There wasnt a hell of alot going on when we were up there either,I was happy to get the two jacks.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Taking the girlfriend stockie bashing tomorrow :D

Let us never speak of that fishing trip again. safe to say she dont like fishing :eek:

damagegt wrote: »
    WHAT! Are people killing the pike up there ? I just found this place in the last few months and have become addicted to pike fishing.I couldn't think of anything worse then killing one of them.There wasnt a hell of alot going on when we were up there either,I was happy to get the two jacks.

Was talking to the fisheries guys, he told us of a Lithuanian he caught trying to go home with 125 bream, said his name was 'Jonnie'. Also he caught 2 poles with 3 dead pike on the bank. Always be nosey and give them a call if you see anything wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

At least you tried seafields, shame it would have saved you a fortune on chocolate on your way home after running a few hours late fishing. Bought herself a fly rod there recently she loves fishing.
    :D
    how did you get on apart from that?
    where were you fishing?
    been doing a lot of stockie bashing lately myself
    Let us never speak of that fishing trip again. safe to say she dont like fishing :eek:

TimMac wrote: »
    how did you get on apart from that?
    where were you fishing?
    been doing a lot of stockie bashing lately myself

I got herself confident of using the bait rod and then i set up the fly rod for an hour. I rose a few fish but no solid takes. Was talking to a old man that fishes there a few times a week (we'd know each other to see) and he said the place was hammered all weekend with the nice weather and that the trout were down as a result. Would have loved to stay for the evening but herself has other ideas!

Fishing has been one disaster after another for me lately. The weather is just fcuking dire! Whatever about the constant rain, that strong wind that we seem to have for the last few weeks, at least down this end of the country, is making fly fishing very frustrating.

I got herself confident of using the bait rod and then i set up the fly rod for an hour. I rose a few fish but no solid takes. Was talking to a old man that fishes there a few times a week (we'd know each other to see) and he said the place was hammered all weekend with the nice weather and that the trout were down as a result. Would have loved to stay for the evening but herself has other ideas!

Fishing has been one disaster after another for me lately. The weather is just fcuking dire! Whatever about the constant rain, that strong wind that we seem to have for the last few weeks, at least down this end of the country, is making fly fishing very frustrating.
    oh that wind isa serious pain alright:mad:, been the same here in the midlands, the dapp was tough going!!! its eased a bit in the last few days thank god(i thought i would never stop!)... heading to the west on friday hope it doesnt turn nasty again!!

bayliner wrote: »
    oh that wind isa serious pain alright:mad:, been the same here in the midlands, the dapp was tough going!!! its eased a bit in the last few days thank god(i thought i would never stop!)... heading to the west on friday hope it doesnt turn nasty again!!

Looking at MT Craniums forecast over in the weather forum this week could be a wash out. Im in kerry for the evening and its pissing here with gusty wind...again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

was out this evening came across five salmon holding in about four foot of water threw everything at them spinners, worm, fly, even a concrete block!!! :D
    one snap at a black & silver flying C & that was it.
    No good still though nice to see them, bring on the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

was out today up by the martello tower in howth hunting pollack and doggies, nothing for hours the place was full of weed. Decided to make my way up to balscaddin and wet a line there, fished just under where the bird collony is and managed to pull in a 2lbs pollack, thought it was weed because it put up no fight until I seen it on the surface then it powered away, great little fight. Certainly going to go back there for a longer day trip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

How was it there shane? Heard its been full of all sorts of characters wetting a line. Never been down there always just fished off the pier, could never really find balscadden to be honest!:rolleyes:

was out today up by the martello tower in howth hunting pollack and doggies, nothing for hours the place was full of weed. Decided to make my way up to balscaddin and wet a line there, fished just under where the bird collony is and managed to pull in a 2lbs pollack, thought it was weed because it put up no fight until I seen it on the surface then it powered away, great little fight. Certainly going to go back there for a longer day trip :)
    That's impressive.Have you any pictures of it ?

lol never mind I thought it said 21lb and I was about to start shouting liar liar pants of fire.My apologies .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

thehamo wrote: »
    How was it there shane? Heard its been full of all sorts of characters wetting a line. Never been down there always just fished off the pier, could never really find balscadden to be honest!:rolleyes:
    was a lovely place and very peacefull where I was, bird collony right beside me, great views, thought it was great plus I was into a fish after half an hour but then it went dead.
    And to damagegt I trhought it was kinda strange that you thought a 2 lb pollack was impressive ha

Advertisement