Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

mask weekend;4 trout on friday, none saturday or sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sea Trout falls for mackerel - hook, line and sinker

An article from todays examiner. Ive seen it in the times too. Worth a look if you see it to see the photo. Fantastic looking fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

well finally landed my 1st salmon of 2011 a 10lb cock on a black & silver 20 gram salar flying C. I saw him come into the pool sunday morning put up a good fight for five minutes, will post pictures in a while.
    :D

TimMac wrote: »
    well finally landed my 1st salmon of 2011 a 10lb cock on a black & silver 20 gram salar flying C. I saw him come into the pool sunday morning put up a good fight for five minutes, will post pictures in a while.
    :D
    cool!! nice fish!:).... never caught a salmon:rolleyes:,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Was out at 5 30 this morning not even a bite!

• Advertisement

fri 17th on ree, trout fishing, no trout! one perch one pike....
    sun 19th pike fishing on ree... hopefully get a few

3 pike! all came to the daughters rod! 3lb, 4lb 7oz and 11lb 6oz....colorado spoon was the lure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

hey, first time posting in this forum i think.

used to wet a ine with my brother in law quite often till a few years ago, due to bringing up kids.

we used to fish mostly along the canal out by the 12th lock for roach, rudd etc but heard it was dredged and ruined a eyar or two ago?

used to do a bit of salt water too, mostly just spinning and feathers for mackeral in warmer months.

looks like were gonna get out for a few hours this weekend to wet a line, just wondering wheres decent for a bit of coarse fishing in dublin at the moment.

keep it to pms if need be, cheers lads.

rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Just back from an early moring bass trip and it couldnt have gone better.I caught 4,landed 3 and kept 2 :).ill throw up some pictures later.

what did you get them on damaget?

• Advertisement

In total over the last month or so iv got 6 bass and 2 pike on the same lure.Can I pm you a picture of it ?Its only a cheap 3euro 4" red and silver rapala knockoff.It fishes about 2-3 ft under the water.

damagegt wrote: »
    In total over the last month or so iv got 6 bass and 2 pike on the same lure.Can I pm you a picture of it ?Its only a cheap 3euro 4" red and silver rapala knockoff.It fishes about 2-3 ft under the water.

Yes would love to have a look of it if you wouldn't mind? Well done. That's some great fishing.

Its my first year trying for bass.The spot iv found iv never seen so many in the same spot.Ill send the photo on to you there in a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

so I went out to Malahide this morning to try for my first bass. Half nine just before full tide. Fished for about half an hour before I was inundated by about ten younfellas asking me if they can cast out etc etc. Anyways after about ten minutes of beating them off "with no go away's" Got back to it peacefully. No sooner had I cast out my plug did the arm on my reel break off (result of a rusty screw). Then to seal it all off as soon as I pulled my line in by hand, a bass hopped out of the water right in front of me, no doubt to purely rub my face in it!:rolleyes:

Now thats what I call Fishing!!!
    ;)

Went out for a few pollock this evening and had great success.Along with two great pollock I got a sea trout.It wasnt any size around half a pound.What I was wondering what is the legalities of catching and keeping seatrout caught from the sea ?Ill throw a picture up.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

damagegt wrote: »
    Went out for a few pollock this evening and had great success.Along with two great pollock I got a sea trout.It wasnt any size around half a pound.What I was wondering what is the legalities of catching and keeping seatrout caught from the sea ?Ill throw a picture up.

You need the state Salmon/Sea-Trout licence to fish for them even if it is in the sea.

aidanf wrote: »
    You need the state Salmon/Sea-Trout licence to fish for them even if it is in the sea.
    Thats fine.I have all my permits.So Its exact same as the river then ?He was only a twidler so he went back to fight another day but it was such a surprise to catch one from where I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Fished Boyne today, had ten fish, biggest 4lb, unreal fishing. really enjoyed it. any fly was working, black did most damage. all bar one returned to fight another day.

283916_1675443904835_1799585862_1088133_1101527_n.jpg

ps think this lad could be a sea trout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Jesus, thats a lovely fish there. Dont know if its a sea trout, a lot of the fish I've caught in the boyne are very silver like that lad (Or maybe I've caught a lot of sea trout :) ). You must be fishing a good bit downstream from me, its almost unfishable now where I usually go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Yah not sure if sea trout but compare him to this lad. this trout was over 3lb mark easy. thought it was a salmon, crazy fighter. threw them all back

268425_1675357742681_1799585862_1088001_602508_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Yah not sure if sea trout but compare him to this lad. this trout was over 3lb mark easy. thought it was a salmon, crazy fighter. threw them all back

You may have a point. That lad there is very similar in markings to this one although he's a good bit bigger
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72649933&postcount=584

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FionnBarr

Caught a 6 pound pollack off the pier in Greystones a few days ago :) A full dinner for a full family ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

threw them back? fair play to you man alot of respect for that not many anglers throw them back especially of that size i only keep stocked fish all wild one go back havint caught trout of that size in river that was wild in a year fair play man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

hooked and lost what felt like probably the biggest wild brownie ive ever had on the line on the liffey. I was heart broken he was putting up a great fight. Im going to have to learn how to play a fish properly I think. im sure I was a lot to blame for loosing it. the frustration!

Hows everyone :)

Havent been on here much lately. A combination of working 7 days a week and moving house. My fishing season abrubtly ended a few weeks back when i was offered a short employment contract in a college related area so between that and my old job I'm burning the candle at both ends. I've promised myself a day out on currane before the season end.

On the plus side my new house has a small stream running through the back garden and on closer inspection last week i saw trout!! :D There's a bit of bank maintenance needed once the leaves are off the trees and i might build a small weir to slow down the water a bit so as to be able to watch them rise in the evenings. Herself asked why i would want to sit and watch fish jumping in the back garden. "i guess you just wouldnt understand" i said!

Hey Seafields

Congrats on the house & job man, be careful herself might have that stream filled in if you spend more time looking at it than you do her!!!

5 hrs on ree today, not good:rolleyes:, 1 fish about 1lb, will try again next week:)..nice to get out after 6 weeks of no lough ree!!! lets not let that happen again:mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Not suprised
    Have had some good fish on the liffey late late late...its so low...! Give us a guestimate.....

thehamo wrote: »
    hooked and lost what felt like probably the biggest wild brownie ive ever had on the line on the liffey. I was heart broken he was putting up a great fight. Im going to have to learn how to play a fish properly I think. im sure I was a lot to blame for loosing it. the frustration!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

SeaFields wrote: »
    Hows everyone :)

Havent been on here much lately. A combination of working 7 days a week and moving house. My fishing season abrubtly ended a few weeks back when i was offered a short employment contract in a college related area so between that and my old job I'm burning the candle at both ends. I've promised myself a day out on currane before the season end.

On the plus side my new house has a small stream running through the back garden and on closer inspection last week i saw trout!! :D There's a bit of bank maintenance needed once the leaves are off the trees and i might build a small weir to slow down the water a bit so as to be able to watch them rise in the evenings. Herself asked why i would want to sit and watch fish jumping in the back garden. "i guess you just wouldnt understand" i said!
    You'll just have to convince her indoors that you need a water garden. Hire a mini digger and convert the back garden into a reservoir. Put a few pot plants between the reservoir and the house and a deck for fishing off. Happy days.:D

Advertisement