Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

The Sub 3 Support Thread

1112113114115116118»

Comments




  • Other change I made this year to help with the consistency in mileage was to do nearly all my midweek runs before work. Once I got into the routine of a 5.30/6.00 start, I found it mentally easier to get the session done first thing in the morning and not be subject to the usual stresses of trying to get out of work later in the day at a reasonable hour or managing the practicalities of fitting in an evening run around shopping/cooking/eating dinner etc!

    Good luck with it all and enjoy the winter sessions!

    I have planned to keep up a good bit of training with over the winter as i have signed up to do Donadea 50k in Feb, So will be doing more longer slower runs.
    I currently do all my week day runs before work at 6.00, So will continue with that. I was thinking that after Donadea to concentrate on the Half distance and target cork sub 1.25. and then concentrate on the plan for dublin after that.




  • I've probably posted sporadically in this thread over the past few years, sub 3 has always been a goal of mine but it has been elusive up to now, mostly down to a series of injuries that stopped me from ever getting a proper block of training done, especially over the last 2 years. really hope 2020 is the year it finally happens, i'll be keeping a closer eye on this thread over the coming year.




  • ooter wrote: »
    I've probably posted sporadically in this thread over the past few years, sub 3 has always been a goal of mine but it has been elusive up to now, mostly down to a series of injuries that stopped me from ever getting a proper block of training done, especially over the last 2 years. really hope 2020 is the year it finally happens, i'll be keeping a closer eye on this thread over the coming year.

    Good luck with it. Go
    Out and make it happen. Consistent training with sensible speed work and you’ll get there. I hope to be helpful




  • Any of you guys do Trim 10 miler? Thinking of it and would like to see a strava link to check out the course




  • squinn2912 wrote: »
    Any of you guys do Trim 10 miler? Thinking of it and would like to see a strava link to check out the course

    It sold out early December.

    Just in case here you go: https://www.strava.com/activities/1391322397/overview


  • Advertisement


  • It sold out early December.

    Just in case here you go: https://www.strava.com/activities/1391322397/overview

    Why am I always wrong?!?!

    Thanks lad, nice run too




  • squinn2912 wrote: »
    Why am I always wrong?!?!

    Thanks lad, nice run too

    There are transfers in operation afaik.




  • boydkev wrote: »
    Now the dust has settled on Dublin and i have my entry for 2020, I am looking to begin my training for a sub 3.
    My last 2 marathons have been 3.18 in 2018 and 3.19 in 2019. I was on track for a 3.14 this year but was getting pain/Muscle strain in my Diaphragm for last 4 miles and had to slow down, Legs and everything were feeling good up to that point.
    So i am looking for some advice on how i should approach a 12 month training?
    I have some other races planned for Feb/March and might look at the marathon in cork.
    For my past 3 marathons i have used the P&D 18 Week 55 mile plan, But i have been looking at the 80/20 Plan since dublin to get my head around it.

    similar situation for me with a 3.19 in Dublin 2019 after missing all of Sept with calf, a 1.27 HM earlier in the year gave me hope for a Boston Q time of 3.15 but happy enough on the day considering.

    2020 I have some thoughts on pushing for a sub 3 DCM in October, I have a HM in Kinvara in March and will be looking for 1.26ish and then to build until DCM in October.

    I have room to cut some more weight (approx 5 kgs) so hopeful of a good year of consistent injury free mileage. I'm running about 10 years with 5 marathons done, last Oct was an 11 min pb, so I'll be following this thread with interest and any running advice greatly appreciated.




  • jconn wrote: »
    similar situation for me with a 3.19 in Dublin 2019 after missing all of Sept with calf, a 1.27 HM earlier in the year gave me hope for a Boston Q time of 3.15 but happy enough on the day considering.

    2020 I have some thoughts on pushing for a sub 3 DCM in October, I have a HM in Kinvara in March and will be looking for 1.26ish and then to build until DCM in October.

    I have room to cut some more weight (approx 5 kgs) so hopeful of a good year of consistent injury free mileage. I'm running about 10 years with 5 marathons done, last Oct was an 11 min pb, so I'll be following this thread with interest and any running advice greatly appreciated.

    Fair play to you lads! Brilliant to see two guys come on with this ambition and attitude. Do yourselves a favour and take an evening at some stage to read this entire thread and jot down some notes.
    My advice is to avoid overthinking it. All the talking in the world can help but you still need to go and do it. Don’t count everything on your tune up races. I’ve done the sub3 with a 1:27 HM with full confidence. It’s easy to say it when you’ve done it but sub3 is just a number and nothing to get worried about. Don’t obsess and don’t worry about the first 13 splits.
    The very best of luck lads. You’re welcome to any information I have in terms of training plans that have worked for me.




  • doing 3 x 2 miles with 3 min recovery last night and the fastest mile was 06:43, left me wondering how the fxxk am I going to run 26 of these in a row in 9 months time, but sure we'll soldier on. :eek:


  • Advertisement


  • ooter wrote:
    doing 3 x 2 miles with 3 min recovery last night and the fastest mile was 06:43, left me wondering how the fxxk am I going to run 26 of these in a row in 9 months time, but sure we'll soldier on.

    Loads of time.

    That being said if that session is still a struggle in six or seven months time it's time to rethink your target!




  • This is going wayyy back but it might be useful for some people just for future reference as it was highly polarising at the time regarding modifying plans to suit your ability. The debate in question starting here on this thread and had a few pages of discussion:

    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617191&page=213

    I was bored the other day so I decided to email pete pfitzinger himself about his plans and the tempo runs specifically to get a definitive answer from the man himself. Heres his reply in the attachment:




  • This is going wayyy back but it might be useful for some people just for future reference as it was highly polarising at the time regarding modifying plans to suit your ability. The debate in question starting here on this thread and had a few pages of discussion:

    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617191&page=213

    I was bored the other day so I decided to email pete pfitzinger himself about his plans and the tempo runs specifically to get a definitive answer from the man himself. Heres his reply in the attachment:

    Cheers for bumping this thread. Ended up re-reading a lot of it! Hopefully it'll get busy again in the next while.

    SZ, how is your running going these days?




  • healy1835 wrote: »
    Cheers for bumping this thread. Ended up re-reading a lot of it! Hopefully it'll get busy again in the next while.

    SZ, how is your running going these days?

    The short answer is it's not haha.

    I dont really have the spark for it anymore, I've had a few goes at getting back but nothing even remotely substantial, motivation just isnt there tbh! Hope all is well with you.. you were flying last time I checked in




  • Good to see some activity here I’d been wondering where the running folk had gone! Impressive to get a response from the man!! I’m a bit confused by The reply though. By LT are we talking 5k or 10k effort/pace in a tempo? 25 mins of that seems quite short And 45 allows for around 10k at it or slightly more. So he recommends knocking the 10/12 mile tempo back down a bit?




  • squinn2912 wrote: »
    Good to see some activity here I’d been wondering where the running folk had gone! Impressive to get a response from the man!! I’m a bit confused by The reply though. By LT are we talking 5k or 10k effort/pace in a tempo? 25 mins of that seems quite short And 45 allows for around 10k at it or slightly more. So he recommends knocking the 10/12 mile tempo back down a bit?

    That reply was referring more to the LT workouts in his plans, the 6/7 miles at LT workouts which are run at roughly 1 hour pace. So his max cap on the workout would be 45 minutes whether or not you had actually covered the distance in the plan for that day.




  • yes great to see some activity on here, what are peoples thoughts on the potential for DCM going ahead next October 2021?

    Possibly with no international athletes, and multiples waves of 1000, possibly workable?




  • jconn wrote: »
    yes great to see some activity on here, what are peoples thoughts on the potential for DCM going ahead next October 2021?

    Possibly with no international athletes, and multiples waves of 1000, possibly workable?

    Hard to say isn't it? Without derailing this thread with Covid-19 whataboutery, you'd hope that if DCM wasn't possible then maybe a scaled-down National Marathon could be a runner somewhere in the country. What that may or may not look like would be pure speculation...but where there's hope.

    I'm entered in Amsterdam, although I'm beginning to think I was too hasty accepting the refund for Manchester :rolleyes:




  • I have a better feeling about Manchester than DCM going ahead. Though I still would like to see Dublin getting the green light if it was safe.

    Don't know if I'll be able to go sub 3 group this year though :(




  • healy1835 wrote: »
    Hard to say isn't it? Without derailing this thread with Covid-19 whataboutery, you'd hope that if DCM wasn't possible then maybe a scaled-down National Marathon could be a runner somewhere in the country. What that may or may not look like would be pure speculation...but where there's hope.

    I'm entered in Amsterdam, although I'm beginning to think I was too hasty accepting the refund for Manchester :rolleyes:

    San Seb - End of November.


  • Advertisement


  • Well done lads! I’m down for Dublin. Gradually building my miles each week coming out of a few chronic problems so being careful. Until I’m confident of it going ahead then I’m intending on keeping the long runs closer to 10 than 20 miles!


Advertisement