Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

engagment rings...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

My OH proposed to me after us seeing each other a month. The ring was less than 100 Euro & we bought it a few months after him proposing. We didnt really have a whole lot of money as I was pregnant with our son. Whilst moving house I lost that ring. About two years ago a week before Christmas my OH was due in from work & I had been ringing his phone, he wasnt answering so I had a big huffy head on me. To cut a long story short, he arrived home & I caught him trying to hide something....he proposed again on one knee in the kitchen & I was in my PJs. The second ring cost in and around 1000 Euro but I couldnt care less how much It cost or how he proposed. I dont want the big wedding, we had it planned for September this year & I cancelled(he was made redundant in December '08). I would rather get married with just ourselves & our son present, himself wants the big thing whereas I dont see the point. A wedding is about 2 people vowing to be together til death & beyond....where should money come into it, money is the cause of most problems IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

Gig Bee wrote: »
    My lovely husband died 3 months ago. I just find it sad that girls base the suitability of future mates on the price of a ring. My engagement ring was embedded in a batter burger outside a chipper which took me totally by surprise. I was 17 he was 18. I am now 42. hw cud have gave me a paper ring, it wud not have mattered!

Thank you for sharing the story - it sheds a different light on things.
    I'm getting so stressed out picking my ring. My OH wants to spend quite a bit of money and get me something more extravagant that I need - he wants to spoil me. But I'm getting a little wrapped up in it.
    But you remind me that the essence of the gesture is EACH OTHER.

I hope you find some happiness again and remember he is ALWAYS WITH YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭missgroovy21

would love a ring right now myself but it aint happening!!! 3 years together and saving for a house....trust me i'll be an old maid before i'll be walking down the aisle

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I have no idea what I'd do with the ring after. I don't have an engagement ring but know I will have one in the next year or two.
    There have been major issues with me and my boyfriend that were 'make or break' situations and we survived, so I don't really think about splitting up now.

I know there's always a possibility but to me it's not an issue now. Food for thought though OP. It'll make for an interesting conversation with my boyfriend. :D

Regarding some of the replies you've gotten here, I'm shocked. Not once has the OP said she values a ring more than her fiancee or that she doesn't respect/love/want to be with him. She posed a question she was wondering about idly it seems. Give the girl a break.
    I'm sorry for people when they have had tough situations but you've no right to make others feel guilty because they are not in that situation.

My mother is seriously ill and has not recognised me in about 5 years, but I'd never tell another person how they should feel about their mother or watch what they say. Not everyone has to worry about your situation right now (thankfully) so excuse them if they want to ponder the more 'selfish' or 'shallow' things in life. It's the small things that help keep our minds of the larger things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

*spooky noises* Zombie thread *spooky noises* :) Please feel free to start a new one, but quickening the dead is frowned upon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement