Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a fly in my apartment, what should I do?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiki
    The housefly (also house fly, house-fly or common housefly), Musca domestica, is the most common of all flies flying in homes, and indeed one of the most widely distributed insects; it is often considered a pest that can carry serious diseases.

In colder climates, houseflies survive only with humans. They have a tendency to aggregate and are difficult to dispel. They are capable of carrying over 100 pathogens, such as typhoid, cholera, Salmonella, bacillary dysentery, tuberculosis, anthrax, ophthalmia, and parasitic worms. The flies in poorer and lower-hygienic areas usually carry more pathogens. Some strains have become immune to most common insecticides.

House flies feed on liquid or semi-liquid substances beside solid material which has been softened by saliva or vomit. Because of their high intake of food, they deposit feces constantly, one of the factors that makes the insect a dangerous carrier of pathogens. Although they are domestic flies, usually confined to the human habitations, they can fly for several miles from the breeding place. They are active only in daytime and rest at night e.g. at the corners of rooms, ceiling hangings, etc.

Housefly as a vector of disease

Mechanical transmission of organisms on its hairs, mouthparts, vomitus and feces:
    parasitic diseases: Cysts of protozoa e.g. Entamoeba histolytica, Giardia lamblia and eggs of helminths e.g.:Ascaris lumbricoides, Trichuros trichura, Haemenolypes nana, Enterobius vermicularis.
    bacterial diseases: Typhoid, cholera, dysentery, pyogenic cocci...etc. House flies have been demonstrated to be vectors of Campylobacter and E. coli O157:H7 using PCR [6]. House flies can be monitored for bacterial pathogens using filter paper spot cards and PCR [7]
    Viruses: Enteroviruses: Poliomyelitis, infective hepatitis (A & E)..etc

Abigayle wrote: »
    Torture ftw.

I've changed my mind....KILL IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Abigayle wrote: »
    He doesn't have one :)
    Kevin Spacey stole that movie .I mean nobody suspected the cripple right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭loloray

Abigayle, are you the meanest person on Boards? Pleeeeeeeeeease come here and drink my wine and kill my fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

loloray wrote: »
    Abigayle, are you the meanest person on Boards?
    I doubt it :)
    Pease come here and drink my wine and kill my fly.

That depends on how much wine you have, and where you live =P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

I think you should ring your landlord right now and explain your predicament. I have no doubt he will deal with it in an efficient and professional manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

my friend once caught a mouse in a friendly mouse trap

he put the mouse in another box with an unfriendly mouse trap, videoed it then after the mouse died went out and burnt it with lighter fuel :pac:.......

Advertisement